What does it mean to eat "raw"?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. FloBe profile image65
    FloBeposted 13 years ago

I've heard a lot lately about eating "raw" foods and how healthy it is supposed to be. Does anyone know about this and how you'd begin?

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't if I were you. The enzymes and the rest of our digestive environment have lost much of the ability to deal with most raw foods.  We cook for a reason, either to make the stuff more digestable or taste better and to kill bacteria and stuff on and in the food.  Unless you get sound advice I would stick with cooking and only go as far as steaming and al dente veg.

2. eslevy17 profile image60
      eslevy17posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My cousin went 100% raw and hasn't looked back, though I think the health benefits aren't as strong as he imagines. The idea is that food has beneficial enzymes and high temperatures destroy them, therefore it is more nutritional in its raw form. However any serious temperature change will alter the chemical composition of the food, and it doesn't mean it will be worse in all cases. I believe carrots actually gain nutritional value by being cooked, either from certain molecules combining together or breaking apart due to the high temperature. The diet also claims raw foods are easier to digest, but again, there are infinite exceptions.
      Anyway, it's worth looking into, but any plan that says "you have to do it this way no matter what" is more of a religion than a nutrition plan. But any increase in fruits and vegetables will be good for you.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lightly cooking carrots makes Vitamin A more bioavailable.
        Raw foods are easier to digest by a healthy gut because the enzymes are built right into the food.  Smart idea.
        AP is somewhat correct.  If you're not used to raw food, your intestines might have a little difficulty.  Start slowly with fruits, washed.  Don't go heavy on the raw veggies at first. 
        A great raw purifier is parsley and pineapple in the blender with pure water or green tea.
        Never eat raw meat or fish.
        Go organic if you can.  The skins of fruits and veggies are much more delicate possibly because they have not had to toughen up against pesticide attack.  But organics have organisms of their own, so wash thoroughly.
        Enzymes can and should be taken supplementally if you have a problem digesting raw food.  If you're young, you should be ok unless you are a real junk food eater and your body rarely sees real food.

3. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flo:
      There's only 1 way to eat oysters: alive and raw!
      I eat alota raw veggies. No complaints.
      I was eating eggs raw in a milkshake. I've been doing that for about 40 years, but since we had this egg scare, a few weeks ago, I stopped.
      There are definite benefits to eating fruits and veggies "raw." The stomach needs roughage for good function.
      When I cook 'em I like them crunchy, not overcooked. the best way to cook 'em is to steam 'em.
      I think "raw" is healthful.
      Qwark

4. livelifealive profile image56
      livelifealiveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SognoPiccolo is right about raw foods being foods that are not heated above 118 degrees, not heating the foods prevents the denaturing of essential digestive enzymes that then allows the food to be more easily digested.

However, you do not have to eat an entirely raw diet to receive the benefits that it provides. As long as each meal you consume has at least 51% of the caloric intake as raw food, then you will still receive the digestive as well as energizing benefits that raw foods offer.

I know many people who have transitioned to, or incorporated more raw foods into their diet and it has cured stomach ailments, cleared up skin, and they claim more energy then they have every experienced. I personally practice a 70% raw diet and love it! This post has a lot of great information on raw foods and the transition to a raw food diet. Hope it helps!

5. KimmiS profile image56
      KimmiSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems like a lot of people are replying when they don't really know much about it! Here is an informative article about the raw food diet, and what it really means for your health.
      http://realrawhealth.com/what-is-a-raw-food-diet/

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have known people to cut up raw food and mix it with some cooked food, mixed with a blender to make drinks. I am not sure of the nutritional value it had, but they didn't complain about taste. hmm

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I actually saw a show featuring a bunch of people who are 'raw foodies' and only eat foods that can be eaten raw. There was even one family raising their kids that way, no processed foods of any sort, no cheese, no ice cream, no bread, nothing that requires cooking to process the food or any other major processing. They claimed that the rest of us smelled chemically and bad and that their health and energy was better then it had ever been before. I wouldn't say that they are not healthy, they seemed to think they were but I couldn't do it and be healthy. I am far to picky an eater to limit myself to those things that can be eaten as is. I would also miss bread and cheese and beans and such far to much.

4. SognoPiccolo profile image60
    SognoPiccoloposted 13 years ago

I raw food is nothing cooked/heated more then 118 degrees. It is supposed to be all about not losing natural enzymes and nutritional value by over cooking food. I like cooking too much to go completely raw. Cutting out meat and stuff was enough for me. lol

5. telltale profile image59
    telltaleposted 13 years ago

There are a number of people and websites about eating raw food and the benefits which go with it.  While the Japanese (if I am not wrong) have been eating raw fish as part of their diet for ages, the effects or side effects have not really affected them totally. For me, I have taken raw fish, being a Chinese, we do have this Chinese New Year annual affair about 'Lo Sang', literal meaning as 'Stay Alive' or 'Have another good year', where raw fish is part of the ingredients of the dish.  So far, so good - no effects which can be felt or seen. smile

Some of my friends are advocate to the practice of eating raw food - not processed at all, or at the very least, take very little amount of processed food.  This is to avoid alot of more serious diseases such as cancer, I was told.  So, it's a matter of practice and discipline on oneself, and should you believe, who knows, it may turn up good.  The point is, do we call taking raw food as risk to one's health?  Good question.

6. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I went vegetarian for a year with my daughter. I was a bit stressed in a new business and had stomach issues. The veggie thing seemed to cure that permanently, as in this was 30 years ago and I have not had stomach probs since.  I put it down to not eating animal fat at the time, but only on my feeling.

7. leatherfootball profile image58
    leatherfootballposted 13 years ago

to me, raw food means anything thats not processed.

8. Cealy profile image54
    Cealyposted 13 years ago

I have had problems with stomach spasms for the past year that have sent me to ER thinking that I was dying. No meds helped.  So, one of my friends said to just eat RAW.  She noticed that I was about to throw up at the word RAW! She told me to go to her kitchen and look in the cabinet for RAW. I saw a box of Better Oats~ Raw. It is a multigrain hot cereal with raw oats. Oatmeal cooked makes me sick.  I was down to 88 pounds and I am 5'9 and desperate.  I read the box all organic rye, barley, quinoa, flaxseed, oats, and wheat.  Woops~allergic to wheat.  She poured a packet into a bowl with water and microwaved for 2 minutes.  I handed her the epipen and told her to aim for my thigh when I stopped breathing.  I love the taste and no more stomach spasms!  Why?  I don't know, but it works.  I can also eat raw bananas now. In fact, I crave bananas. Check out betteroats.com. Oh, and no I wasn't dieting.  My mother has the same stomach problem.  She takes an older drug called Donnatol and it works.  However, new docs will not hand out old timer's drugs that actually work.  All new meds that I have ever tried do not work  I am enrolled in a raw foods class, and I will let you know what happens.  If you see a giraffe of a woman running around Lake Oswego looking starved, it may be me.  Update:  gained 3 pounds!

1. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
      Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two minutes in a microwave is NOT raw food.  It's about as cooked as you could imagine without charring it to a crisp.

Raw foodists don't eat anything that has been heated.  I know a few people who have chosen to eat this way, but I noticed they all live in really warm climates.  They marinate foods, or put them through a blender to make things easier to digest.

It gets cold in the winter where I live and my acupuncturist says that eating food that is warm is important in cold weather to help take care of your body.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Cealy - you need to get a hold of a book called The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin.  He had a similar problem while in college and managed to heal himself.  It's too long to write here but well worth reading.

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

You cannot eat raw fish and meat unless it is smoked and/or salted to kill the bacteria and worm's eggs (like tape worm etc.). The rest of it (not potatoes and dry grains like barley, buckweat, dry beens) you can eat raw. Food is just a tradition. What your mom used to cook for you. You can unlearn to eat it, but you might crave it anyway. I like to eat raw salted pig's fat/bacon on a slice of a rye bread! I know it's bad, I do not eat it regularly, but I love it. I am not crazy, it's just a tradition, as I said.

1. qwark profile image60

..don't eat potatoes raw? yer kidding! Potatoes are delicious raw! Snappy and juicy! Dip small pieces in a little salt, pop 'em in the mouth and chew! mmm   mmm good!  :-)
      you can scrub 'em good and even eat the peels raw on the "spud."

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

Never tried that!  But definately will.  Have you had jicama?  Always reminds me of a raw potato in texture but more like an apple in flavor.

1. qwark profile image60

...never tried 'em. Don't know what they are?
          Oh I looked it up.
          If it's like a turnip, danged right! Remove the skin and chop into small pieces and eat.
          I even eat "yams' raw after removing the skin...it's all delish to me...smile:
          Qwark

1. profile image0
            ss_sputnikposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't think I could eat raw potato, but jicama is so yummy with some lemon juice and chili powder on it.

1. qwark profile image60

Sputnik:
              Never say NEVER!
              Try the potato with a little salt and lemon juice...delish!
              Qwark

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I don't know. in my old country they even cook them for pigs' consumption. I was told long ago that they can rise your temperature if you eat them raw.

1. qwark profile image60

Home Girl: Try 'em! You'll change your mind. My Gramma was a German lady who introduced me to 'em. I used to help her peel "spuds" and she'd reward me with a bowl of small pieces of raw potato and a little salt.
      I've been eatn' 'em for about 50 years!  mmm mmm good! :-)

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I believe eating "raw" is when you really, really don't dress at all for dinner!

12. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/3861380_f248.jpg

this is what happens to folks when you eat raw food....

13. matherese profile image61
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

We do eat raw don't we. Do you eat salad? raw green and red peppers cucumbers tomatoes and more are raw food.

I went on raw food diet a couple of years ago, trustme it is a good way detoxifying our body. I only did it for ten days though, i will recomend it to everyone.

Becoming a raw for eater forever is not for, just like i am never going to change from being a meat eater to a vegetarian.

14. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I eat raw or uncooked fruits, vegetables, and beef, but not pork or poultry at they must be cooked because of bacteria content and worms.  I eat raw eggs, and about anything I can comfortably eat raw.  There is nothing wrong with eating raw food.  I have trouble if the texture is gross, then into the pan it goes.

15. MichelleArakaki profile image60
    MichelleArakakiposted 13 years ago

I agree with you ddsurfsca, i eat raw veggies but not raw meat.

16. profile image0
    ss_sputnikposted 13 years ago

A raw and living food (plant-based) diet are very healthy, but there are a few things to consider when getting started.

1. Transition into a raw food diet (http://hubpages.com/hub/start-raw-food-diet)

If you introduce a 100% raw food diet right away, you will find your body has a hard time digesting such a high fiber diet. You will experience gas, bloating, and constipation.

For a couple of weeks, begin transition away from cooked food. This will give your body time to adjust to the changes.

2. Because you are eating lots of fruits and vegetables, aim for buying organic food (without pesticides).

3. You body will experience a detox period. Usually last a couple of weeks. You may feel emotional swings, may experience weight loss or gain, headaches, and other similar changes. This is normal as your body is releasing the toxins associated with eating unhealthy food.

Maintain the diet and you will start to see the positive changes and increased vitality. Filling your plate with a colorful array of raw foods will help to ensure you are getting a balance diet.
    Best to success, ss_sputnik.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)