And the illegal alien saga continues

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (51 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Two articles in my morning paper:
    Fremont Nebraska has enacted a law banning the hiring or renting (homes) to illegal aliens.  They have a large increase of illegals in the last 20 years, mostly because of Freemont Beef and Hormel meatpacking plants.  The ACLU will fight it, or course, but I'm not sure whose "rights" are being violated.  Question, though, - if the two meatpacking plants are hiring large numbers of illegals, where is the INS?

Second article indicates that when A&N Food Market in New York catches shoplifters they propose a fine of about $400 to the shoplifter or they keep their ID, post their pictures to shame them and call the police.  According to the article the shoplifters, mostly Chinese, manage to pay the fine for fear of deportation, which would indicate they are in the country illegally.  In a mostly Chinese area, with mostly Chinese clientele, the practice is an import from China where it is common.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live in China, travel all over China and I have NEVER seen this practice anywhere here.

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean you don't believe the media?  How utterly shocking!
        lol  lol

2. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course no one ever steals in China because the MIddle Kingdom is a paradise, right?   roll

If anyone really cares, yes, there are shoplifters in China.

1. profile image0

Reading is not your strong point is it.   

The issue under discussion was shops fining people they think are shoplifting and the press report that claims this is common practice in China, which is untrue.  The press - like you - have no idea what happens in China and so just make it up.

1. Sab Oh profile image55

Yes, it is a common practice in China. I'm glad you are not involved in shoplifting and have no reason to be familiar with it.

1. profile image0

NO it definately is not common practice in China.  As you would know if you had any other information except from some online friend who was in China once - maybe.

You need to get out of whatever bubble you are living in over there. You seem quite sheltered. Don't waste the chance to really get to know the place.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I thought we were sending all our illegal aliens to Canada, since the Canadians are so much nicer than we are.

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

"when A&N Food Market in New York catches shoplifters they propose a fine of about $400 to the shoplifter or they keep their ID, post their pictures to shame them and call the police.  According to the article the shoplifters, mostly Chinese, manage to pay the fine for fear of deportation, which would indicate they are in the country illegally.  In a mostly Chinese area, with mostly Chinese clientele, the practice is an import from China where it is common."

Where does a private bussiness get the right to levy a fine?...

This seems illegal to me, a type of intimidation and robbery.

This store should be checked and stopped of this practice. They are getting rich off this I bet. if they choose not to call the police then that is fine... but you don't get to strong-arm people with the threat.

Gee, sounds like the Obama Doctrine to me.

I tend to agree - they are being "forced" to pay a hefty fine with no trial or proof of theft and that is wrong.  New York stores have powers somewhere between police and citizen's arrest, but this still seems to cross the line to me. 

It might not work as well with a US citizen, though, the store could easily be sued for theft of the ID and for libel and/or slander for posting pictures claiming the person was thief without a court trial as well as possible false arrest.  Even if guilty a person could make trouble for the store if such things were done before a trial.

Illegal aliens on the other hand, will capitulate much easier for fear of deportation and could easily be taken advantage of whether guilty of shoplifting or not.  In that case the store could make a killing with fines being levied against the innocent (at least of shoplifting - they are still illegal aliens).

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well NY is a sanctuary city... so I don't think that should be a big problem.

The Asain community is pretty... "insular"... I believe the proper term for it is these PC days.

I would say racist and closed... but.

I think this could be another example of a people devouring thier own with criminal activity. The chinese people it is done to probrably know they don't want to piss off the owners. Never know what syndicate owns what bussiness.

Seems like a nice rakett to me, lucrative.

4. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 13 years ago

I lived many years in Nebraska and I find this story to be quite sad.  Nebraskans, more often than not, make small-minded political choices. I wrote a hub on illegal immigrant labor that might interest readers of this particular forum issue:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Illegal-immigra … der-Memoir

5. TMMason profile image61

Nebraskans make small minded political choices... because they pass some laws against illegals, bussinesses who hire them and landlords who harbour them.

huh...

I call that comprehensive immigration reform.

And it continues to spread.  Perhaps our do nothing administration may be biting off more than they can chew when they go after the states and cities that clearly want immigration laws enforced.  We can but hope.

2. barranca profile image76
      barrancaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Migrant workers keep this country humming.  They pay taxes, they work jobs most Americans avoid and all in all contribute mightily to our society with little reward.  If we want to slow it down, there are two solutions:  set up a system of identification that really works and penalize businesses that hire them.  And make sure there is significant jail time for illegal immigrants who are caught.  3 months first offense, 6 months second offense.  However, I don't think it is particularly wise because of what they contribute.

Yes migrant workers... the legal ones that come through on a work visas... they are a productive part of this society.

Illegals... illegal laborers and all others, are not. We already have the jail terms in the law... enforce them all and deport away.

The only break they should get is to leave before we deport them, or they are never eligible for citizenship again.

Yup... that'd be great.

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You really do not understand your own society at all - the illegal workers are encouraged by the companies who hire them as cheap labour and as maids, gardeners and cleaners in their houses - and the business people run your local government directly, and your national government indirectly. They talk a lot about controls and pass strange laws that make life more difficult for the illegals but do not stop them. The business people can stop them in a day by just not hiring them any more, with no money they have to come out and would be better off back at home. The business people give out the jobs and you are too expensive so you get screwed so they can make a buck.

You are listening to all the ridiculous noise and not looking at the problem.

1. Ohma profile image59
            Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Talk about not understanding! Wow!
            When I make well above minimum wage in this country and still can not get my head above water because of the gap between minimum wage and the cost of living how in the world can you say we are to expensive?
            To expensive is the cost of living and the last time I checked those costs were driven by industry not workers.

An illegal worker is working for considerably less than the minimum wage - almost slave labour.  You cost much more even at minimum wage.  The point of the post was about control of the situation - the very people who employ the illegal workers are the same people who run your country, the laws are all aimed at everything except stopping them working as near slave labour.  Hence all about making a buck at your expense.

People love to throw around terms like "slave labor" because they're so darn dramatic, but it is just empty hyperbole.

hyperbole ?  you love that word, guess you looked it up eh!?  slave labour is when the worker cannot escape and are paid wages at or below subsistence levels - your illegal workers are trapped at the discretion of their employers and paid well below the minimum wage - slave labour - yes it is!

"hyperbole ?  you love that word, guess you looked it up eh!?"

Why would you think I'd need to look it up? And no, I don't "love" the word. In fact, I'd like it very much if people would stop pointlessly engaging in it. It's as if some people feel they can't make a point without it.

2. Sab Oh profile image55

"You really do not understand your own society at all "

............................. roll

wow~

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All 11 million of them?

2. Ohma profile image59

It really annoys the crap out of me every time someone say
        How do you know what most Americans avoid?
        I have done a lot of crappy jobs to feed my children and would do it all over again if I had to. Pay an honest wage for an honest days work and I do not think most hungry US citizen would pass it up.

They wouldn't demean themselves so they think we wouldn't. I have had my share of shit jobs also and for rock bottom wages on top of it.

The whole "jobs Americans won't do" BS is just a thin excuse for people who favor illegal immigration politically.

6. TMMason profile image61

Thus the laws against businesses hiring them... now your catching on, AP.

See how that works.

7. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

And yet you somehow managed to imply in your previous post that we the American workers were at fault.
    You just stated that the government who is run by industry has a vested interest in not protecting the jobs and lively hoods of American workers.

Me?... No I didn't.

1. Ohma profile image59

That was directed at alternate poet not you. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay...

2. alternate poet profile image67

You - the American workers - allow, vote and generally support your elected bodies, who rip you off by allowing the cheap labour. To make you 'believe' they are doing something they make all sorts of noises and pass useless laws - but they are the ones employing the illegal workers for their greater profit. They sound as though they are doing something when in fact they are causing the problem.

1. Ohma profile image59

We the American workers voices are completely useless and have been since the introduction of the Electoral College a long long time before I was born. We the American workers would be kidding ourselves if we thought any different.

I think we are saying the same thing - except that communication has been getting in the way big_smile

1. Ohma profile image59

Probably pretty likely. You Brits tend to word things funny. wink

8. bphee profile image54
    bpheeposted 13 years ago

They're here. They're staying.  Many more are coming.

Be nice to them, maybe they'll let you all stay.

If the democrats have their way they are...

9. TMMason profile image61

AP says..."An illegal worker is working for considerably less than the minimum wage - almost slave labour.  You cost much more even at minimum wage."

Wrong... so very wrong it just shows you have no clue.

Obviously you do not have a clue about how it is here, AP.

I don't know many illegalls that make less than minimum wage... your kidding me right. They come here and work for half the rate of the trades they infiltrate and destroy.

I know roofers who cannot pull more than 10 to 12 $ an hour when they used to be making 25+ and hour or more.

They, the illegals, come into this country then take work for half the rate of the going scale, and then cnanot even do the job up to code.... because mexico doesn't have anything near our codes.

You really need to learn what you speak of before you speak on it, AP.

It is all okay though, AP... I mean... China is about to bring world peace, tolerance, and economic equality to the world.... right... lolllllllllll

I really have to question the "cost" of an illegal worker.  The worker may not have as much cash delivered to him by his employer, but the cost to the American society doesn't end there by any means. 

Americans are footing the bill for their childrens education.  Without a valid SS# they can't pay their share of income taxes.  We pay the cost of their medical care and their lack of auto insurance.  Despite what the naysayers claim we provide subsidized food and housing.  We pay for the criminal subset illegal aliens.

There is no doubt at all that a few American employers are making a killing of their illegal alien workers, but the rest of society must make up the extra costs of having them in the country, feeding at the generous American trough.

10. TMMason profile image61

The puppet says... They're here. They're staying.  Many more are coming.

Be nice to them, maybe they'll let you all stay."

No, we won't be nice anymore... we see where that shit has got us.

And yes they're here,... they're leaving, be nice, or you can go with them.

11. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I still say we give them all an express ticket to Canada.  They are more accepting there and they're nicer.  Or we can send them to Europe where they get free health care and monthly checks through welfare. And we can send them to Britain where they'll get a free house.  Latin Americans should know that  they would get way more free stuff in Canada and Europe.  In comparison the US is stingy and unwelcoming.

12. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Only one comment needs posting.  What part of ILLEGAL don't educated people understand?  In a society of laws you don't get to pick and choose which to obey.  If that were the case I'd be a bank robber.  As a member of law enforcement I often feel sorry for a great number of the people we arrest and incarcerate.  They don't have a job, education or prospects for the future either but they don't get a pass.  Neither should ILLEGAL immigrants.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Here's an interesting tid bit for you.

A man pays US$5000 to leave Pakistan and comes to Indonesia by boat, its a three month journey, its cramped because this man is on a boat that only holds comfortable 20 people, yet for three months he is crammed in with 50 people.
    There is almost no food, no shelter from the elements, and he has only his personal possessions.
    He gets to Indonesia, and gets on another boat to bring him to Australia (his 5 grand has paid for this, because he was told it is so easy) and eventually the boat is picked up in Australian waters either by our Navy or Customs.
    Now said illegal man who paid 5 grand discovers he gets a 3 month holiday on Christmas Island, which is Australian Territory and lives behind a fence for another three months, but is efd, and clothed and if he doesn't classify as a refugee, he gets a trip back to Pakistan courtesy of Qantas Airways.
    Multiply that by 18,000 people who pay the same 5 grand each year to come to Australia. Some don't get caught and come through, and get jobs, but are paid cash, so they don't pay taxes. They also don't have Medicare (govt paid basic health cover) because they cannot get a card and cannot pay for any trip to a doctor for any health issues. They live most often with others like themselves and live on a very meager amount of money and from pay to pay. SO they also don't pay for anything else, in case they pop up on the radar (drivers license, private health cover, auto insurance, etc)
    The funny thing is, from that refugees point of view, they don't care, its ten times better than the life they had in their country of origin.
    For us law abiding Australians, its a tough gig as we are paying to return those who ARE caught getting here illegally for their 3 month holiday and their return trip home.
    I am not against ANYONE wanting to emigrate to Australia, just do it the RIGHT way.

If you say the same thing in America you are called a xenophobe.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Huh?

Happy for legal immigrants to enter a country and live, yet if they are illegal your xenophobic (from an American point of view)

hmmmmm weird.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
          Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is weird in America.  If you say anything against illegals you are regarded as racist and xenophobic. Welcome to our world.

Ahhhhh thankyou, that makes much more sense to me now. In Australia, like any other country we have our fair share of racist bigots.
            But with immigration, nothing pee's Australians more than those trying to get into our country illegally.
            These people are viewed as scum, and that point of view holds irrespective of which country they come from.
            Racist, yes, always going to come up as a topic, and always due to bigotry, but xenophobic, never, ever viewed as that.
            Thanks for pointing out , how much different it is in the US.

14. TMMason profile image61

Kangar... "Some don't get caught and come through, and get jobs, but are paid cash, so they don't pay taxes. They also don't have Medicare (govt paid basic health cover) because they cannot get a card and cannot pay for any trip to a doctor for any health issues. They live most often with others like themselves and live on a very meager amount of money and from pay to pay. SO they also don't pay for anything else, in case they pop up on the radar (drivers license, private health cover, auto insurance, etc)"

Huhhhh... they get medicare and medicaid here... they get welfare and food stamps, and licenses so they can vote... they get a free education and healthcare... any other Americans feeling stupid yet!... HUhhh we are idiots... America is a country of IDIOTS.

And they get good UNION jobs here also.. with all benitfits.

IDIOTS!!!

Hmmm, I am at a loss as to how they cannot be picked up as illegals (In the US) as I know that as soon as any illegal HERE in Australia, they are shipped out of the country quick smart. Im thinking that for illegals in the US are are far more vast and creative ways to cheat the system than in Australia. Again it is a challenge we all face in each of our respective countries.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)