Backlinks for $9.99 Is it worth it ?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (213 posts)
  1. wytegarillaz profile image59
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

Has anyone paid for these backlinks at all and had benefits from them ?
    I keep seeing the advert so thought I would ask.
    Thanks

1. brettb profile image62
      brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they're from a bad neighborhood then you can kiss your Google rankings goodbye. It's better to write original content that will generate its own genuine backlinks.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Care to prove this?

As for original question - usually such offers are not worth bothering. smile

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A little over a year ago I bought into Angela Edwards backlink packages. I used them and got decent results but I found that over time 70 to 80 percent of those backlinks turned into nofollow.  So, using her approach to finding backlinks, I started mining web 2.0 sites on my own and found that those were not nearly as saturated and most of the backlinks are still dofollow.

What I have noticed is that when a site becomes a PR5 or higher they start applying the "nofollow" attribute.

Mine the backlinks yourself and actually participate on those sites, even if its limited to once a month.  OH and this is not a good idea for backlinking to individual hubs, only your own blogs or websites.

3. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You started something now!

4. jasoncox83 profile image59
      jasoncox83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not really most of them are no follows, and those that are do follows are just spammed with the same content over and over again. The exact same duplicate content only one of which will be indexed (in the long term) therefore not really providing very good "link juice".

5. johan_malmo profile image61
      johan_malmoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My experience in buying backlinks is that it is not worth it... It depends I guess on if you buy a single backlink on the frontpage of a website with high PR. That could be worth it I guess, but don't buy backlink packages, it gave me absolutely nothing of worth...

/ Johan

6. ofmelancholy profile image61
      ofmelancholyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

unless you invested heavily on yourwebsite paying for backlinks is not necessary from my point of view though ı'm pretty beginner.

7. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have tried a few of the many semi-automatic link submitters online and have not been really pleased with the results. I believe it was in one of RyanKett's hubs that I read these types of services have a low success rate for links actually being created. I have found for instance on one I submitted to over 300 sites and after checking 100 of those sites only found my hub linked to 7 of them. So in my opinion it's probably not worth it and would probably hurt your exposure more than help it. Once you get the process down of having everything pasted to notepad and you have a decent list of high PR bookmarking sites you can feed em to those sites pretty quickly anyway.

8. Gleddy13 profile image60
      Gleddy13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Brettb, I don't agree with the first part of  your comment.  If that was the case then all one of my competitors would have to do is blast a whole bunch of links to my site from bad neighborhoods and he would kill all my rankings and dominate the first page.  Inbound links from bad sites won't hurt you, they just won't help you.  I have tested this on a number of sites and have not seem the results you are talking about.
      What matters is if YOUR SITE is linking to bad neighborhoods.  Then Google will sting you for it.
      That being said, I totally agree with the second part of your comment.  Create good unique content and publish it on as many different platforms as you can to have a natural looking link structure.

2. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

Personally I agree with brett. Hub pages has a great ranking with google. If you write quality content the traffic will come.
    I do some backlinking with free sites not much though and my traffic is pretty good each day. Good luck

1. jacobkuttyta profile image45
      jacobkuttytaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information

1. profile image0

Content is king.  Backlinking just helps it along the way but spamming can hurt your online reputation.  Be balanced and genuine in your writing.

3. bileygur profile image59
    bileygurposted 13 years ago

The question is how much do you think you will earn by doing this.  My experience is that if I can trade links I do it, but paying for it.  No way!

I never accept that basically because few links from PR2 sites are not going to make it or brake it for me.

I could just as well create / write few blogs about it get as much or more exposure.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trading?

From Googles advice on linking at http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … swer=66356 :

Examples of link schemes can include:

Links intended to manipulate PageRank
      Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web
      Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
      Buying or selling links that pass PageRank

It's really very simple and actually all they needed to say was "Lnks intended to manipulate PageRank".  That's your litmus test for anything you do in this area. 

Are you linking to help people find your content or learn more detail about something you mentioned in passing?  Great, do it.  Are you linking to make Google think you are more popular than you really are?  You are trying to manipulate and Google disapproves.

Some "big names" here will disagree with this - who you going to believe, them or Google?

1. bileygur profile image59
        bileygurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, but I would not say it is  Excessive, but I have used it to get sites fast up and running.   In my experience it has been just another addition to other things that I have used to get my sites ranked.   It has helped me to get ranked higher and I have never seen that I have been punished for it.

I have not contacted people in "I link to you, and you link back", but used free automatic backlinking service.

Free backlinking is no different than arranging it yourself.

The only reaon Google includes "excessive" is because some reciprocal linking will occur naturally.  If my Unix site links to another Unix site, they may have linked to me also without either of us ever being aware of the others actions.

Arranged linking violates Google's guidelines.  Period.

So right you are.  But again that is some thing that is beneficial and as long as it is not excessive google is not going to penalize you.   That is also a fact.

Any way it is some thing that has proved for me as beneficial at early points of establishing website before organic links start to occur.  I have used allot in the past and have never been penalized for it.

2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Something was at the back of my mind...  Ah, now I remember. 

I may be missing something here but surely any single backlink (let alone a link wheel) that I create at a site like Shetoldme or Xomba could be classed as a "link intended to manipulate PageRank"?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
          Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, that is a link to help provide others a way of finding your content, through those sites.

WINK WINK

2. profile image0

New product tools are repacked - ultimately there is nothing better than human anaylisis - google knows this - and doing it yourself.  Be proactive and let the world know that you have great content worth reading by commenting on appropriate forums and creating decent backlinking content.  This hubbing takes time to ferment like a fine wine, so write what you know.  Everything here at Hubpages has given you all you need for success.

4. profile image0
    wademcmasterposted 13 years ago

An unnatural spike in backlinks in a short time can be seen as, well, unnatural and frowned upon

1. snagerries profile image69
      snagerriesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yaa it is.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Buying links can be a minefield so you need to do some background checks first. Selling links is against Google's TOS and often sites that have been identified as selling links are penalised so that no benefit is passed through links that point to external sites. So check that links that come from the URL’s where your links are placed show up amongst the backlinks of other pages they link too. Even if they have not been identified yet they could be in the future.

Links in the sidebar or footer of unrelated pages are probably worthless, if you are buying links ensure that they are contextual (from within the main body of content) and from related documents.

The worst that can happen is that Google discounts the bought links, your site won’t be penalised in any way. If there were any danger of penalties being incurred I am sure that some webmasters would deliberately pay for links to their competitors in order to damage their rankings.

These are the facts; the choice is up to you.

Yeah, "conscience".  A commodity in short supply when considering most SEO advice published here.

Does it matter if Google delivers manipulated results?  No, not at all - what matters is getting traffic to your pages by whatever means you can get away with.

Google gets suspicious when it sees too many new links?  Slow it down - the links are still fake, but Google doesn't know that, so it is fine.  What matters is what you can get away with, and that is all that matters to most.

Conscience -  it has been made very clear in thread after thread that almost no one cares at all about THAT.

So, to the OP, if you can buy links that work, and you can do it without having Google toss them out as worthless, go right ahead.  Don't even think about your conscience - almost no one else does!

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What, in your opinion, would be the best way to acquire links in the amount needed to rank well and be successful online in a moderately competitive market?

By writing valuable content that people link to of their own free will - which is, of course, exactly what Google recommends.  For example, I have linked to your hubs because I feel they are excellent tutorials. You didn't buy my links, you didn't trade for them, you didn't even ask for them, but I still created them.

That is how I do it, but I guess that is too slow for you, right?

1. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.logoogle.com/images/logooward/december/google-mr-magoogle.gif

and the blind to the need to be found in search results in the first place in order to receive a natural backlink award goes to....

Misrepresenting my statements again, so typical of you.

Don't listen to Google.  Listen to Sunforged.  He knows better.

smile

2. profile image0

Oh God... you are tooo funny!

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69

Ok, so what you are saying is that for you it comes down to the quality of the content. Believe me there is nobody champions great content more than I do, but I cannot see how a webpage about bridging loans for example would ever see the light of day if it were to rely on quality of content alone.

Secondly, if it was down to the quality of content to attract links the best written pages would gain top rankings regardless of the quality of the products or the services being promoted.

I think the concept of quality has to extend further than the page itself and indeed this is the way that search engines work. IMO a reliance on just the quality of your written output is a great start but on its own probably not enough to get rankings in moderately competitive markets regardless of how long you are prepared to wait.

3. sunforged profile image70

he did.

2. elayne001 profile image78
        elayne001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is a dog eat dog world, isn't it!!

So, if you do not make backlinks, how much traffic do you think is possible - per day (5, 10, 50, 100 - 1000) just wondering. I have been using sites that have a do follow backlink as suggested by several hubbers - I am confused - were these suggestions made with or without a conscience?

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

http://www.boodrow.com/mainwebsite/images/listening.gif

1. profile image0

hahaha!  Does he feel a right charlie?! lol

2. Pcunix profile image91

So true - you can't hear, can you?

You can't hear anything that you don't want to hear. You don't care about anything but getting traffic, anything you can get away with is fine, who cares what Google thinks about it? If they can't catch you, do it, that is your advice in a nutshell, right?

1. profile image0

No, It really works for sunforged!  He has internet savvy and has been doing it for donkeys years.  You cant knock it!  It works for him big_smile

I know the stuff he does WORKS.   That isn't the point.

Here is my point:

In order to defend another parties interest and system I have to believe that the system is inviolate.

I do not agree that current ranking algorithms are inviolate.

Particularly, in regards to the value given to age.

In many categories, Age, should be a devaluing factor.

I often search cutting edge topics, and I am inundated with search results that are archaic and outdated. These results, since they are first page results will continue to get "natural backlinks" - this has nothing to do with quality - this has everything to do with accessibility.

I promote in order to be accessible.

I dont disagree with PCunixs values about maintaining  quality in ones work. I just refuse to be a passive player in my success.

Quality is subjective.

I would rather be a New York Times Writer and read David Foster Wallace books but USA Today remains the widest circulated print newspaper in the United States and Stephen King is still touted as great writer by the masses - this is the practical scenario you live in when attempting to be an online writer or producer.

Unfortunately, the moment money enters the picture you have entered into competition - the idealistic maxims that PC' presents are poor preparation for this competitive marketplace.

I just read through a couple of hubs and saw statements about "quality" "vanilla" "the hard work of easy money online"  all of these are topics I have also touched on -

But any debates here in the forum with PCU seem to end with this questionHow can quality survive online in a competitive marketplace?   and the crickets chirp when response time comes!

So, you do not like how they rank results, so therefore it is acceptable for you to  create fake links,

How self serving of you.

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

Its best to build your own backlinks free. Many people leave blog comments or become guest writers for other blogs. Writing on a high ranking blog with many readers (regardless of pagerank) helps make your url more popular AND its a perfectly acceptable way of getting a link out there. Even if its a blog with a pagerank 7 getting two links in one post to your Hub will not seen as a problem (the pagerank then comes with the popularity.)

What google really frowns upon is  thousands of backlinks made automatically all at once. Saying that service for $10 is really worth it, if they know anything about SEO they would build the links over days of time, not all in 15 minutes. This seems to be more like "Faking Pagerank" compared to self methods.

~thranax~

Leaving usefil comments is indeed acceptable.  So is guest posting.   So are many other activities.

Google recommends a simple question: are you doing it for the benefit of readers?  If you are, it is a good link.  If you are doing it soldly to increase your rankings, it is not.

It really is that simple.

1. profile image0

yes... it is about being natural.  I know that fast backlinking does seem to have an affect, in what I have observed, on online reputation.  But if Sunforged can do this automation backlinking without being sussed, then good luck to him!  It is not for us to judge each other - we should just wish people well.

8. sunforged profile image70

I highlight and support your response to the competition question that I have waited days and wrote thousands of words in discussion to finally read.

It is a naive response but it settles my curiosity. I can now live a troll free life.

I care about the fair opportunity to present well prepared information to those who query in a competitive world.

In a rat race , its best to be the cat. (Joshua Sunforged 2010)

9. sunforged profile image70

PCUnix has been doing it far longer. Which is probably his impetus for supporting methods that would keep anything old from being overtaken

10. sunforged profile image70

To stay on task

Buying backlinks from a service brazen enough to buy ads right from the adwords program is not advisable.

One would not be deindexed or devalued from using them but it is not likely you would benefit either.

11. Peter Hoggan profile image69

PCunix, would you care to share your thoughts regarding my last post? I am genuinely trying to get an answer from you that shows how your 'idealistic' approach to SEO would be beneficial in a competitive market.

Sorry, I couldn’t think of a better word than idealistic and it's not meant to be derogatory in any way.

Yes, I will.  Insuffucient time right niw, but I will.

Peter - I think my answer will be long enough to justify a hub.  I will try to get to that soon.

However, the short answer includes Adwords, email, forum and newsgroup activity and of course Twitter abd Facebook when appropriate.  I need to put a lot of caveats on each of those but my activites would always consider Google's "beneficial to readers" rule first.

Consider what businesses did before the Internet.  Did they create fake customer testimonials? That is exactly what a link wheel and purchased or traded links are: fake testimonials.

And yes, some companies did use fake testimony. Do you admire that? Woukd you recommend that and say that not being willing to do that is unrealistic?

Is some one to say that my material is less "beneficial to readers" to readers than the material that is currently ranking well in google?   You can of course sit and hope that readers will back link you and endorse your material in other means.

I think Google takes care of it self, if they think you are breaking their terms, they will not index you or leave your pages out.  With google tools it is simple enough to see if that is the case.

The "beneficial" refers to links, not content, and yiu know that.

False links are false testimony.  Do you deny that?

1. profile image0
              ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would recommend that bileygur says "no comment" to the remainder of this interrogation until his attorney arrives.

I might be worried if I lived in the US.  Probably be dead scared of PCUNIX by now smile 

I see less harm in few exchange links than the useless spam of comments that some people offer us bloggers, just to get "do-follow" link to their material.   If you go overboard, it is simple you have to take the punishment and that will be that Google will not index you.

It is then up to you to find the limit and google to find if you are over it.

To me this is just as simple as that.

None of this is new, this is exactly what SEO's do for a living day in day out. I am looking for the great differentiator that you seem to be promising but never quite manage to explain. What separates what you are championing to what I and most SEO's do already?

Just tell me what’s different please!

You must be very confused.

None of that includes link wheels, trading links or buying links.  Why do you keep ignoring that?

I promised no magic.  I complained about manipulating Google.  You asked how else can one compete, I answered.  I did not expect my answer to be any great revelation to you.

I don’t think I am confused what you are describing is in essence spam, not SEO.

All I am asking is that you explain the difference between what you are now suggesting and what SEO's traditionally do, NOT WHAT SPAMMERS DO.

Sunforged builds linkwheels.  He is teaching people both how to do it and how to evade detection in the 60DC.

I presume these wheels are nit being built to promote spam.

Why do  you continue to pretend that is not true?

I am not pretending anything. I don't use linkwheels nor do I advocate their use. Now, can you give me an answer to the question I have asked?

Ah  - yet you jumped all over me for saying that Sunforged linkwheels are improper.

I have answered your question, but I guess I have to yet again:  I see nothing wrong with any activity that is beneficial to readers.   My objections in every single thread have been to linkwheeks, a-b-c schemes and the like and every time you have failed to understand that.

Every time you gave joined in the ridicule and insisted that I am naive and unrealistic, and yet, here we are - apparently we think exactly alike.

So - you do not approve of Sunforged promoting through linkwheeks?  Good, we agree.

2. sunforged profile image70

Watch your mouth

I do not build link wheels , I do not actively promote link wheels. I am not so naive to pretend their is not an audience for the information. You have promoted that article in past weeks more than I ever have!

I do understand an audience and what is entered into a search engine - I have a page that explains what a link wheel is and how that concept can be used by real writers rather than the current users of the method which are spammy and black hat products and services.

Should a writer be interested in link wheels and they search for it, they may end up at my page. Less than 50 viewers a week see that page and they all are receiving what they searched for. I knew that when I wrote it - I used evil statistical analysis and discovered that the terms was not a winner and I wrote it anyway in response to a specific query.

The practice is not included in any of my hub author focused tutorials nor is it mentioned in any 60dc focused materials.

...wasting time responding to you leaves a dirty taste in my mouth - do not continue to misrepresent me

and

http://drjon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/16/monty_python_fart_in_your_general_d.jpg

1. Misha profile image63

ROFLMAO lol

However, SF and Ryan, I suggest you guys cool off a bit. It will be a pity if you get banned because of the troll smile

What - you have deleted the hub I quoted from earlier?

Or did you just delete the sentence where you noted that you would explain in a private forum  how to evade detection?  That is the 60DC hub, not your old linkwheel hub.   

So now you suddenky disavow this technique?  How precious.

12. sunforged profile image70

other then rss submission- I dont use promote or suggest any automated backlinks

But you do recommend linkwheels.

Go ahead, explain how linkwheels meet Google's criteria of being "beneficial to readers"?

And while you are at it, why don't you remind them how careful you are not to leave footprints that might cause Google to notice the wheels?

Look, I agree you are not drowning kittens here.  But you do bend Google's intent to suit your own needs.  Compared to what some people do, it is very minor - but it is not something  I do or admire.

All I expect from you is honesty - you try to game Google.  No dead kittens, but not 100% honest - as yiu said in yiur own hub, it was not Googles intent that rank should be affected by fake linking.

13. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I took a look at that advert the $9.99 is for 1000 Forum profiles or some dredge like that.  If you want meaningful backlinks you have to pay something like $25 for less than ten.

1. profile image0

I will find anybody on here 11 meaningful backlinks for $24! lol

14. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I saw this advert, I imagine it is just a marketing scheme taking advantage of amateurs desire to make a quick buck, theres no point in having backlinks if people visit your content and get bored and leave straight away

15. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I'd never pay for backlinks not even as low as $10....the idea makes me sick and I think...I'm going to puke!

16. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I'd just throw in there that large numbers of comment/forum spam backlinks will get you in trouble with us, as it reflects badly on the site as a whole, not just the individual user, to have those links coming in here.

Good point.

Which of course can mean that people who do these things can affect ALL of us,

2. profile image0

The reason for this thread is that there's an Adsense ad - offering loads of backlinks for $9.99 - that's featuring heavily on Hub Pages at the moment!  Does your comment above mean you'll be blocking that particular domain from advertising on Hub Pages?

17. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I can see nothing wrong in principle with paying backlinks, in the same way that I can see nothing wrong with selling backlinks.

BUT the likelyhood of these mass-marketed generic packages having any intrinsic value to your content is pretty low if you ask me.

What precisely are they promising? If you want to pay for backlinks then try having a long hunt on eBay, where often you will know precisely what it is that you are buying, for example *hypothetically) "a dofollow backlink on each of my page rank 4 or 5 blogs about teeth whitening, on existing pages which each already have individual page rank of at least 2".

I'm not sure what kind of value 100 backlinks to a hubpage about gold prices would have if the result is simply an auto-generated post on 100 purpose built 'link dumps' which has no consistant topic and no valuable traffic.

I would want to know precisely where my links were going. And the likelyhood is that no serious developer is going to sell you a link of any value to a page which intends to compete with his area of business. The owner of a blog called bestcheapteethwhitening.com on the front page of Google is not going to want to provide you with a backlink to an article titled Best Cheap Teeth Whitening unless you pay them much more than the link is worth to you.

Just my two cents.

1. profile image0

you said...

"a dofollow backlink on each of my page rank 4 or 5 blogs about teeth whitening, on existing pages which each already have individual page rank of at least 2".

... dont start me off on the teeth whitening thing! big_smile

You  see nothing wrong with an activity that Google plainly states is unacceptable.

I assume you have an Adsense account?

Why don't you write to Google and tell them that you buy abd sell links for the purpose of passing pagerank?  I am sure they would love to know that.

1. profile image0

I see nothing wrong with discretely buying specific links no, dependant on the greater specifics.

If you are perhaps suggesting that I condone arbitrage, which is what Google actually state is acceptable, then the answer is no.

Remember that not everybody monetises their pages with AdSense, and if they do not then their linking activities is of no concern to Google.

It is perfectly acceptable for you to purchase links and traffic to landing pages or similar, and if it were not then AdSense would not exist.

Please do not confuse Arbitrage, which is paying to attract traffic to a page in order to flip that traffic for a greater return, with traditional promotion.

I do not pay for any links or traffic to any of my hubpages, neither would it be in my interests. That would be arbitrage and against the terms of service of Google AdSense. It would also most likely result in a loss.

The idea that Google gets to dictate any of my non-Adsense related activities is ludicrious, just like your stupid wig. I do not sign up to the Google search engine, its signs me up without asking. There is no contract which dictates that I cannot breach the rules of their secret PageRank alithogram. Muppet.

I will happily write to Google and let them know that I purchase links to my non-Adsense monetised blog pages and various affiliate accounts. FROM ADWORDS.

Adwords is analagous to a "paid spokesman" disclosure - the viewer is aware that this is purchased advertising.

Linkwheels and purchased links are false testimony.   That is entirely different.

The FCC now has rules on disclosing your relationships to affiliates you link to.  How amusing it would be if they applied those rules to all links.  All the liars would be out of business over night.

1. profile image0

You change the subject rather swiftly when I point out that you are talking through your bottom. Just to reiterate, to cut a long story short, you said:

"Why don't you write to Google and tell them that you buy abd sell links for the purpose of passing pagerank?  I am sure they would love to know that."

And I said:

"The idea that Google gets to dictate any of my non-Adsense related activities is ludicrious, just like your stupid wig. I do not sign up to the Google search engine, its signs me up without asking. There is no contract which dictates that I cannot breach the rules of their secret PageRank alithogram. Muppet."

The idea that Google could directly penalise me for anything which does not relate in any way to them is just plain pathetic. How about this for a scenario:

a) I write a blog about soccer on wordpress, hosted by BlueHost. I sell Amazon products from that blog, the only monetisation.

b)I don't submit to search engines, I leave it up to them as to whether or not they want to index me.

C) I purchase 10 links to that blog from other soccer websites.

You tell me how that is of any concern to Google or any other party other than BlueHost, Amazon, and me? If Google chooses to index it they will index it. They do not own the internet, or BlueHost, or Amazon. It would be of no concern or relevance to them. Their alithograms are their concern, secret to me, I could quite easily not know anything whatsoever about their existance.

Now stop talking out of your arrogant smug sh*thole and give people some respect, you may even begin to give it back. Making libelous comments about people isn't the way to make friends, Sunforged has not broken any TOS and is held in much higher esteem on here then you ever will with your confrontational attitude. Its not anybody elses fault that you are clearly bitter and unhappy about your own personal life.

Goodnight.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:e-1tNeQNA2HwtM:http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/Antwuan3000/GimpSuit.jpg&t=1

18. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I know one thing.. bad internet behaviour effects online reputation.  Where that dividing line is, however, is blurred. I think Google has evolved, and is, evolving into a more natural way. I can see a more level field shaping, but I am intrigued to see how this effects others bad behaviour.

19. sunforged profile image70

I suggest adding to your visibility by writing content at various locations.

I also suggest linking related content that you have written at these sites.

You are proud of your writing! so of course, you share it via easy to find navigation(links)

A link wheel has a specific format - its methodical - it can be quite boring and it can be unnatural, I dont not "promote it" because I am a mighty protector of Google virtue but rather because its a more advanced technique then my audience or even myself looks for and uses.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&a … link+wheel

Those are true link wheel tutorials.

One would have to wonder why you didn't say this at the beginning.  No, instead we had endless insults, fallen Cupids, misrepresentations.. Which tells me and everyone else the truth about you.

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
        wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"You need to know how to reach your readers.  If you know that, you don't need to know anything else."

Those above are your words. And so as I read through this thread I am wondering, do you know how to reach your reader?

Or do you reach your readers by coming into forums, ruffle some feathers and go and attack people that you wish you could be more like.

I have yet to read any thread where you are not attacking someone.

Maybe instead of all this nonsense you should try to spread some positive energy. Maybe you could learn a thing or two. .

Hey and maybe someday you too could have one iota of the positive passion that SF is all about.

Im with you on this one Ryan

20. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

From Sunforge's hub:

"I take advantage of all these sites and create wheels of interlinked related content. Its much better to write 30 properly interlinked articles across 3 unique domains than it would be to write 30 at one site - (like Hubpages)"

I cannot see what should be wrong about this method.

Of course you can't.  We have only had 5 or 6 pages explaining it.

21. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

You do affiliate marketing (directly or indirectly doesn't matter) and you think

|
    |
    v

roll

I'll go with Shari's suggestion.
    I'm done.

22. Peter Hoggan profile image69

Personally I admit to link building in many shapes and forms, does this change search results in my or my clients favour? Absolutely. Does it give them a competitive advantage? You bet it does. I suppose that’s why people approach SEO's in the first place. Is what I do spam or dishonest? Google doesn’t seem to thinks so.

I look at things in the cold light of day and do what has to be done. I am a realist and work with the medium as is, not what it could be. That’s where we are different; I am results and performance driven while you are held back by a debilitating belief system.

Like I have said to you before I don’t think that makes me a spammer or dishonest, it's just good old marketing.

Your opinion.  Not mine.

1. profile image0

I don't enjoy backlinking or keyword research either come to that, but I do it because I've realised that if I want people on the Internet to even read my stuff (let alone click on ads), then I've got no choice.

It's OK for you - as Mark said, you've had a presence on the Internet since its early days.  But people like me have to work with what the situation is now, not what we'd like it to be.  That doesn't make me an angry person BTW, just a realistic one.

I would absolutely LOVE it if good content rose like cream to the top of the search engine listings and spam/duplicate stuff automatically sunk right to the bottom.  But I know that eventuality is a long way off (if it ever arrives - the "black hat" people are bound to find yet more ways of gaming the system).

Cream does rise.  All by itself.   Believe it or not.

1. profile image0

Sometimes it does, yes.  And sometimes it doesn't.  (I find it weird that you just don't understand this.)

Example: I have a hub that I'm quite proud of.  I wrote it soon after I joined HP, before I knew anything about keyword research and the like.   

But despite being (IMO) one of my top 5 hubs in terms of how well it's written, and despite its having had 480 views from within Hub Pages itself, it's not had ONE search engine hit.  And I know that if I did some keyword research and backlinking on this particular hub, it would start to get organic traffic.

I realise that what constitutes "good" content is subjective to a certain extent (you might look at my hubs and think "she's a crap writer!").  But when you say things like "good content always rises to the top"  (with an implied "so there!" afterwards), then you just come across as either naive or smug.

I understand it far better than most of the people here.  I have things that have risen to the top of Google SERP and stayed there for years.  None of them were "promoted" except through real organic linking by other people.  SF complains that I get those because of age, but if that were true, most of my content would benefit.  It doesn't - only the real cream rises.

I did NOT say "good content" rises.   I have written tons of "good content" that has never done much.  I call that stuff "milk", and in my case, since almost all of it was written with more in mind than Adsense, anything it did bring in was just gravy.

I said CREAM rises.   None of us writes real cream very often, and when we do, we often don't realize it until much later.  There is nothing naive or smug about that, it is simply fact.

I don't really care what the opinion of the so-called SEO "experts" are.  If you want to follow their advice, do so.  If you stay away from the really ugly stuff - and I haven't seen any of that suggested by them - , you won't get hurt (though remember what HP staff had to say about that earlier in the thread - your actions CAN cause negative results for HP).

It's quite possible that some of what they do can help cream rise more quickly.   great - do whatever you want to do.   It's also possible, even likely, that some of it can increase your Adsense earnings - wonderful, go for it - I wish you nothing but luck. 

But I don't do much in that line.   There are various reasons and I don't want to waste space on them here.

The $9.99 junk that began this?  Don't do that.  In spite of what certain people here say, buying links is a very bad idea.  But if you want to put out fake links, go right ahead.  As I keep saying, you aren't drowning kittens and you don't need to subscribe to my morals.

1. profile image0

I can assure you I've no intention of ever buying links.

I would love to subscribe to your morals, Pcunix... but the truth is that they're an expensive luxury for mere mortals like me.

I understand that.  Especially in these times.  Heck, my business is off 40% - I feel the temptations myself, but they aren't strong enough to change my mind.

Nor am I foolish enough to say I would never, ever do anything like this.  I would like to think I'd stop short of drowning kittens, but when your back is against the wall, who knows?

23. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

If I wanted my hubs to be found in the search engines, I would contact someone like Mark Knowles, Sunforged, or Peter Hoggan. I would count on them to know the rules and to optimize my web presence within the confines of those rules, not to do anything to jeopardize my account.

If I wanted to be a Puritan, I would continue doing what I am doing now - which is nothing at all.

24. ross670daw profile image60
    ross670dawposted 13 years ago

Well I must say I have enjoyed reading this thread from start to finish, it has enlightened me no end. Thanks to ALL the contributors.
    By the way,That $9.99 backlink package that you are asking about, in my opinion is a total waste of money, don't bother with it or any other cheap linking offer, they are mostly useless forum profile backlinks.

25. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I don't really think this thread is going anywhere, it's two opposing viewpoints which really don't mesh. No amount of back and forth arguing is going to do anything here, as it is one persons ethical problem with SEO vs people who use SEO on a day to day basis.

26. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

I agree, to each according to his own and options are there -- so it is up to us to act on it, whether we would like to buy or not!

No, you should not be buying links.  HP staff already pointed out how that can hurt HP.   What we are talking about here are entirely different issues.

In this thread?

Could you link to the comment please.

Page 3.  Maddie Ruud.

I have to say it surprises me a bit that a so called SEO expert would think otherwise.  I expect that from Misha - he challenged the idea that buyung links would have any bad effect, though that was before Maddie commented.  I would have thought you would know better.

Abd what is it Maggie Ruud says about buying links?

She said

"I'd just throw in there that large numbers of comment/forum spam backlinks will get you in trouble with us, as it reflects badly on the site as a whole, not just the individual user, to have those links coming in here.
              "

And point me to anything relevant to buying links in that statement please.

You trying to be a lawyer?

Whether you bought them or created them, the result is the same.

Why don't you ask her to clarify if you cannot understand that?

Lawyer me, noooooo. Just pointing out the little untruths in your statements. Perhaps your assumption is correct, but until its clarified it is an assumption and shouldn’t be offered as fact.

2. waynet profile image68
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maddie Ruud on page 3!!!!?? What where??!!!

In the UK that's the topless page of the newspaper!

1. waynet profile image68
                waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ohh....slightly disappointed now....no page 3 Maddie Ruud!

2. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was early in the discussion:

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1170324

This may also be of interest:

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1126859

27. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Guys, you all are savvy internet users. Why do you feed the troll and liar?

1. profile image0

Care to elaborate? Maybe not...

1. Misha profile image63

Pclown is a troll and liar. The best way of dealing with that kind of people is to ignore them. smile

Just to clarify why he is a liar in this particular case - Maddie did not say anything about buying links smile

As to why he is a troll - just read the thread smile

1. profile image0

Thanks.

That is a personal ad hominem attack, is it not?

It violates forum policy, does it not?

Do you remember when you tried and failed to have me banned?

1. Misha profile image63

I am gladly awaiting my well deserved ban, Pclown smile

Calling a liar a liar is quite satisfying. Ciao. smile

Well, I won't report you, Misha.  I am not like you.  Not in any way.

The thing is when you tell lies you are a liar, Maggie said jack about buying links therefore you are a liar.

Amazing how desperate you are.

Any person of ordinary intelligence knows that her warning applies to links from any source.

But you are so desperate to discredit me, you pretend otherwise.

Sad.

28. Peter Hoggan profile image69

Maggie said nothing about buying links, its possible HP dont like the practice, but there was nothing about buying links in the comment linked. Complete fiction from you again.

29. sunforged profile image70

http://www.davidjparnell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/critical-thinking-radar-300x300.jpg

beep

beep

beep

30. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Ayup.  More of the usual from Sunforged.   Where's the fallen Cupid?

By the way - I'm heading out to the gym for 90 minutes or so.  Just wanted to let y'all know that you can continue your personal attacks and ridicule while I'm gone.

1. experimenter profile image59
      experimenterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet your traffic has gone up today. That's the power of linkbaiting smile

31. sunforged profile image70

Just as we suspected Captain.

A live one!

http://punxter.com/pics/S/EBG.jpg

deterrence successful.

32. sunforged profile image70

We got another hit!

How should we categorize this one upon successful capture, Captain?

http://boycottnovell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/712155_rainbow_troll.jpg

Check the guidebook

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/431/thumbs/7047035427_b.jpg
    View at EasyCaptures.com

See any similarities, coxswain?

http://www.rickdocekal.com/images/arrowup3.jpg

[music]inserts triumph theme and departs[/music]

33. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/6/128808650784608370.jpg

34. experimenter profile image59
    experimenterposted 13 years ago

i think someone is linkbaiting smile

35. Peter Hoggan profile image69

I thought linkbait for a short time too. Being contentious is a good angle for linkbait, however, this has been a lengthy outpouring of condescending, belittling and downright nasty comments from one party who is now complaining because the same is being returned.

I don't think the goal of linkbaiting is to “out” yourself as a misguided fool offering advice that could potentially damage the online goals and aspirations of others. If it was linkbait it might go something like this :

"Links Don’t Work! Links Are Spam! Use Doctor Geoffrey’s Traffic Elixir And Get Top Rankings Without Links".

If there has been an attempt at linkbait in this thread it has failed hopelessly.  An imagined, ill conceived problem was highlighted but no solution was offered. It would have been fantastic linkbait had a credible alternative been
    forthcoming.

In fact, Peter, I made no nasty comments.  I did complain several times about you doing exactly what you did here - implying opinions that I do not hold.

You call me a fool.  Did I call anyone a fool?  No - the insults all came from you, SF and Misha.

You consistently have misrepresented what I actually said and you rely on  the inability of those with less experience to have even half a clue what this argument is actually about.  You consistently distort my positions and refuse to answer direct questions. 

This thread did go downhill, but the nastiness all came from the other side, not from me.

Now why don't we just give it a rest?  Most of the people reading have not a clue what we are arguing about and apparently it is upsetting some readers.  As I have said over and over, I continue to refer those who wish to play the game to your, Sunforged and Misha's excellent hubs, so please stop lying about what I tell people.

1. profile image0

I have decided to respect everybodies opinions on this subject, just so long as they have no personal problems with me loving nothing better than "playing the game" right now wink

36. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 13 years ago

links to article directories are not worth so much. It is how the article written.

37. JulieBMack profile image61
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

This thread is entertaining at best.  Appreciate that!!

I think the bottom line is buying links is not worth your time.  My humble opinion is there is always a HAPPY smile medium! smile Marketing has been around long before the internet and if done in the "non-sleezy-unsneaky" way is perfectly fine.  Sorry, PCU - the world on line has changed and it IS a dog-eat-dog world!

There is a balance though!  Stay within your boundaries!  What is your conscious tell you?  If there is any doubt, then there IS NO DOUBT - don't do it!

Integrity. Integrity. Integrity. I'm a big fan.

As few here have mentioned, good content on the internet does not matter much if no one ever sees it!  Yes, write good content!! But, promote it only as you see fit - don't over do it.  Always think of your readers and the value it adds.  Then, naturally, over time, organic traffic will come.  But, it does take time... and you know what they say about "if it sounds to good to be true..."

Have lots of patience!  There may be a lack of conscious in this world today, very true!  But, ultimately, I think it is a lack of patience that gets people seeking for that quick fix and the instant-gratification-make-money NOW mentality.

Cream does rise to the top, (don't lose sight of quality) but you may have to boost it a little bit with good, effective marketing techniques (yes SEO, too) - BUT NOT SPAM!!  Or cheap back links that will probably hurt you more in the long run! So, no, I would not suggest it.

Patience grasshopper.

Phew - there is my two cents!!

1. adrienne2 profile image66
      adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just to warn those considering such a thing HP has information you should review on backlinking.
      (http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/a-gu … cklinking/)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)