Changed my mind - how about a required "introduce yourself post"?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

OK, I heard the objections to my idea of no hubs/no forum posts and see the validity.

How about a mandatory "Introduce yourself" post that has to survive not being flagged by X number of people in X amount of time and if they pass, they have access to every forum.  Otherwise, no posting.

Yes, they can lie and make up a story we will buy.  But that takes a little effort and a little time and a little intelligence.  Most call girls won't bother.   Most children won't be able to do it well enough.  Most drunks won't either.  The laziest of the spammers and sock puppets might, but we might filter out one or two.

Any reason not to do that?  If you want, you could even tell people flat out it's fine to make up the whole thing if they want- we might get some very creative and fun to read posts!

And I DO NOT mean it has to be autobiographical!  Whatever you put on your profile page would be fine.  Just enough for people to know or be fooled into thinking you are not a call girl, a child, or a drunk.

1. anonimuzz profile image60
      anonimuzzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm... I don't see that many people bothering themselves to read every single introductory post, analyse it in order to filter spammers and such and, on top of that, flag it if the poster doesn't 'pass the test'. I'm not discussing the idea now, just the method. Introduction threads are among the least interesting there can possibly be on any forum. Again, I think they just serve to create a false sense of security among new members, thinking that they automatically make them part of the community. In my opinion, our integration within any community is determined as time goes by, not on the moment we introduce ourselves, lol. Anyway, and to stop rambling, how many people, realistically, will do as you suggest not only on the beginning, but at all times, until the rule is changed or erased?

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.  What you said.

2. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I actually like this idea.  A mandatory introduction post in the forums when you sign up.  Maybe even automatic?  Like the emails sent to all your followers, except it would go to the forums - then all new hubbers would have the opportunity to gain followers, and everyone who's active in the forums would have the opportunity to get to know new hubbers as they come on board.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I thought we were friends! Don't be a hater.

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

PCUnix, I actually agree that people with no hubs shouldn't be able to post. After all, HubPages only exists to write hubs, not to give folks a platform to voice their political/religious views. That's just a perk. smile

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Irohner, I've read most of that other thread, and agreed with it for the most part.  Until I remembered my own beginnings.  I originally came to HP to post on a controversial hub and eventually found the forums and posted there for a while on some interesting threads before I had any idea what HP was about.

Without the forums and the ability to post I would never have written my first hub - I didn't even know I could!

I would love to get rid of the spammers, but don't have any good way to do it except what the staff now does.  It takes a little time (although I don't find that objectionable) but I would rather see that than lose a bunch of good potential hubbers.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hear you...but the bottom line is that you wanted to post on the forum and that's how you got started. Would you still have done that if you had to write a hub first? If the answer is yes, then great. That's what HP is all about. If the answer is no, then buh bye. smile

I do believe you are the exception rather than the rule.

1. sofs profile image78
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, we need to have some standards  in place, just to get rid of the spammers.  Writing one or two decent hubs is not a big deal at all for a person who is serious.
        Post that are flagged down need to be taken off faster.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My point was that I didn't even know I could write a hub!  Therefore I wouldn't have.

And I agree that I am the exception; few people nowdays are as ignorant as I am about the commonplace workings of the internet and particularly those of social sites, which is what I perceived HP to be.

4. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

just like in ordinary life, a certain amount of discerning attention on our part will prevent us from having to spend too much time on sock puppets, trolls or spammers.  Just look at it - report it if you think it needs to be reported and get on with things - I think more rules and regulations would change HP into something else - something not as wonderful and free and diverse as it is now.  I don't happen to like it when people come to the forums just to flirt - it is distracting and silly, often redundant and not too smart and sometimes crude - but what the heck - I can get past it and I wouldn't want there to be a "no flirting" rule.   We'll be alright - people have often advised me to just ignore the things that bother me so much on the forums and for the most part it works for me.  no more rules, please!

5. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Hi mega, not seen you for a while.. how are you? Missed seeing you around. Do I have to stay up till 6am just to see you??

Oh... freedom... yeah...

It is not too hard to report spammers, not a big problem. Even if they have to publish a hub they can publish garbage then start to spam.. So we either report the garbage hub.. or the spam in the forum..

I hope they don't ban flirting mega....

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh gee, no, just SOME people's flirting - dumb flirting, you know?  I have no idea who or what I'm talking about - and no one's flirted with me ever since we had our little fling!  Maybe they think I'm a monogaflirt?  anyway thanks and nice to see you too, have been trying to spend less time online and more time in the real world - but it is not easy!

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you are not avoiding me after..... last time. I know you want to chat some more...

I have been staying up till after 6am here just to see you again...

I like monogaflirt... great term... you're the best mega...

Been taking stalking classes... do they work??

1. mega1 profile image79

I was gonna go watch a homosexual movie, but I'd rather stay and talk to you!  you win!

for a little while - I put it on pause

stalking classes?  you have to have someone teach you how to obsess on someone?  I thought that came naturally to all us perverts!  First, pick someone you know you can't have - then try to find out all about them, then ceaselessly follow them - be careful to not cross the line into perverted senseless killer.

no, on second thought, don't.   You can follow people on HP without being a stalker, no one cares!  In fact, I go for that! big time.  smile

6. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

sorry for the hijack - I give back thread now, ok?

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

How are you going to get people who can't be bothered to read the site rules under present conditions to create a satisfactory intro post?

1. mega1 profile image79

that's the thing, see - what they're saying is if people don't read the rules and post spam or other we flag them - which is what we do anyhow, so I don't see why making another rule that people have to introduce themselves would improve HP - I really don't see it.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how what is being proposed is going to be any different from how things are now either...

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First - it is not "passing muster".  Nobody would have to approve - just that you couldn't have 5, 10, or whatever number you want to set disapprove, as would obviously happen with call girls etc.

And it is different from now, because it keeps them from posting for a galf hour or an hour or whatever you want to set, which will send the call girls and the laziest spammers to an easier target.

If you don't get whacked, you can post.  If by chance somebody legit gets delayed,  they can complain, the admins can look at it and fix it.

That is different.

Slowing people down works.  I wrote comment spam control software at my iwn site and part of its method is to delay them when things look fishy.  It works - they give up and move on to greener fields.

8. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

are there a lot of new hubbers?  wouldn't the forums become inundated with "intros"?  Would current hubbers be exempt?  Would current hubbers have to read the "intros" and vote? What about people who want to just write hubs and aren't interested in the forums - do they have to do this intro too?

There are many reasons why this is too unworkable! and I hope people will see that HP is what it is - why not accept it?  continue to report those who spam (not really that many in forums) and sockpuppets too, that takes care of that!  With all this dissatisfaction with HP as it is - why not go to some other forum where the conditions are more to your liking?

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

PC, I liked some version of your other idea better.  I don't really like a "passing muster" approach as well as I like "meeting a minimum requirement" approach.   hmm

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I don't like anything that is mandatory.  Why should anyone have to pass muster or minimum requirements anyway?  Who gets to decide what those are?  And do you really read those intros?  I've read some and they are all the same old boring stuff...  Hi, I'm "soandso"  from "someplacestupid" and I'm new to hubpages (as if we couldn't tell) and I'm all about about blah, blah, blah and I hope you like me, and by the way, how do I get more traffic to my hubs, and how much money can I make, and what's a good hubscore and more blah blah blah. YUK!   roll

And what do you have against call girls anyway?... LOL

Save the slings and arrows please, I'm kidding here... I shouldn't even have to say this but the world if full of humorless people who often don't get it and I don't want to start a moral uprising here. 

Have a nice day big_smile

11. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm not getting involved in the argument (referring to other post as well as this one) - I hate spammers as much as anyone but I can see pros and cons for both sides (including good honest folk might not stay because they can't post, and spammers might be willing to do that extra bit of work anyway, but will stop at least 75%.)

However the idea of an introduction forum post is a good idea, even if not mandatory. There's a chat/forum site I occasionally visit that reminded me of this idea. Basically upon signing up a big "Please visit the forums and post on the 'fresh meat' forum" sign appears in big letters at the top of the page. It's not mandatory but it does get the attention and give the newbie somewhere and something to do.

There's my feedback. Although I can't see any clear way to implement either of your exact ideas, personally, hopefully the staff might be able to use it as a general jumping off point at some stage.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the "fresh meat forum" idea.

1. anonimuzz profile image60
        anonimuzzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like it too. Lots of good stuff to eat.

12. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm wondering why this topic has fallen while the other is still going. I think this might be a better idea in the end...

13. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

I don't do well with what's require.

14. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

Hi, there: my name's Teresa, and I'm Pisces. No--scratch that, I'm Aquarius, really.  Anyway, I'm not a call girl, and I don't like Spam (even grilled); I must admit, though, that I once shared a taxi with a prostitute in Paris.

It just seemed appropriate.  She looked tired, and I felt sorry for her.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a perfect fit, I think.

2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey I used to drive a taxi for a living! I took many a prostitute home, or out, or even to places with her clients.
      God love them - most of them barely more than children but with a heroin addiction:(

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
        Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You must have seen a few sights, driving a taxi. What I remember most is this lady's shoes, which were so impossibly high that I don't know how she was walking on them.  I didn't feel sorry for her because she was a prostitute by the way, as she obviously had way much more money than I did; I simply felt sorry because she looked so tired and she needed to get across the Bois de Boulogne.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77

Never give up on your dreams, Teresa.  I too am not a call girl, but I won't stop believing. Until then, I just keep trying new SPAM recipes.

Thank you; you are all so kind to newcomers, here. I feel welcome.
        By the way, what are your favorite Spam recipes?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

I like a nice warm SPAM smore.  You can heat the spam on your stick the same time you hold the marshmallow over the campfire, then drop them both on the chocolate bar and grahm cracker. MMmmMmmm, that's good eatin' right there.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

2. Teresa McGurk profile image60

That sounds so inviting, I must try it sometime.  And do you eat it, then, or simply drink in the warm aroma?

edit: oops, you just said you ate it.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

You are quite right about the aroma.  Nothing sings, "Ambrosia!" like the scent of warm pork gristle and melting chocolate whispered upon an olfactory wind.

Ah! reminds me of my days as a waif on the streets of Madrid, watching the butcher in the market trimming fat off the chuletas, and slinging it at the happy cat sitting on the counter beside the meat so fresh it needed no dyes or packaging to hide in.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
                Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MMM MMM!  Hush yore mouth!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)