tattoos sexy or trashy

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (56 posts)
  1. JulieMcDaniel profile image61
    JulieMcDanielposted 13 years ago

when you look at a person and see tattoos what is the first thing you think of? do you write them off as someone you do not want to know or do u converse with them and find out who they really are?

1. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't write off anyone for such superficial reasons. I often wonder though, what made them decide to get that tattoo and to put it in that place? Did they think about how it would look when they were 80? If you ask me most tattoos are silly and from an artistic standpoint, don't reach a level of true art. Also many people get tattoos in places where they can't be seen, so what's the point? That said, I've see some very cool and artistic tattoos.

JulieMcDanielposted 13 years agoin reply to this

most of mine that i have and will get will not been seen until i put on my bathing suit and then its like wow lol. the point is i wanted them there and they reflect who i am. my birds are my balance of male and female one can not be with out the other. my protection symbol is just that. my goddess symbol is there so i know she is close to me at all times. the comfort and pain symbol is because i get comfort thru my pain. my roses are a symbol that i am not like others i am the rare black rose. my falling angel that i am getting on my back is being held by the good angel it says that no matter how different you are or what you have done in your life you can still be loved. my half sleeve will be on the movie the labyrinth from the 80s and it was my childhood fav. the monsters in the movie are my childhood friends.

2. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honestly I think when I am 80, if I make it that far, my tattoos will be the least of my worries.... lol

2. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People are people and you can't really draw a rational conclusion based on something like that.

A tattoo that signifies some kind of military service is obviously something that should inspire deep respect. Some tattooes are reflections of some deeply personal and emotional aspect of a person's life and you can't know that just by glancing at them.

All that having been said: Tattooes that appear to be of the "ain't I cool if I draw on myself!" sort (and let's face it, the vast majority are) evoke the following (undoubtedly unfair) perceptions by me:

1) Men: Stupid
      2) Women: Trashy, stupid, slut

how fair is that? you can say i am a slut and trashy but yet if i got something on me for being military then i could be respected. lol funny actually. i am respected either way i am a mother to 2 of my own children and 4 others that are mine not by blood but by love. i am a teach 4 at home and i am looked up to more than most. i am blessed tattoos and all.

1. Sab Oh profile image56

I said it was unfair, but there it is. If people want to draw pictures on themselves that's up to them, but they shouldn't be overly sensitive about the impression of themselves it gives (to some unfair people like me).

2. Sab Oh profile image56

" if i got something on me for being military then i could be respected."

That is correct.

3. TVTopTen profile image61
      TVTopTenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well my girlfriend has 4 of them. I would never get any, but I think they look sexy on her smile

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i don't mind tattoos.  don't have one and don't plan on getting one.  seeing someone with a tattoo doesn't compel me to find out who they are however...there are so many people with tattoos....so it's not like a person with a tattoo stands out for me over anyone else.

3. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 13 years ago

sexy, it is some kind of personal expression as long as it is done by a professional then it is is fine

4. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

You make people with tattoos sound like mentally deranged social outcasts who should be approached with caution.  Pretty much everybody I know these days has at least one. big_smile

I love them.

i have a total of 6 and getting more everyday. i have the goddess symbol on my left wrist and the comfort and pain symbol under it, i have a bird on each of my hip bones one male and the other female, i have a vine with a red rose and black rose running up my right ribs and a protection symbol on the back of my neck. my plans for more are a half sleeve on my right arm of the labyrinth the movie from the 80s, the falling angle drawing from luis royo covering my whole back and i am getting the vines and roses on my left rib cage, then taking the vines on both sides and running them down and aroung my legs, then i am getting my daughters names in the witches alphabet. who knows after that is all done i may think of more.

Wow! I'd love to see you naked!

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be lying if I said I knew what all of those symbols were, but all-in-all they sound like some nice tats.  I especially like the idea of the Labyrinth half-sleeve, it sounds unique.

I have six myself (although I class three of them as being one making four in total really).  But even though I love tattoos, I personally believe there is a point where 'less is more'.

http://www.costumeshopper.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/57478b.jpg

Too many and things start to look a little messy.

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a photo of a cheesy, fake tattoo Halloween costume.  Of course it doesn't look that good.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
            Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know, but that still doesn't change anything.

Same rules apply.

3. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love labyrinth. Really cool idea!!

4. Sab Oh profile image56

"most of mine that i have and will get will not been seen until i put on my bathing suit"

" i have a total of 6 and getting more everyday. i have the goddess symbol on my left wrist and the comfort and pain symbol under it, i have a bird on each of my hip bones one male and the other female, i have a vine with a red rose and black rose running up my right ribs and a protection symbol on the back of my neck. my plans for more are a half sleeve on my right arm of the labyrinth the movie from the 80s, the falling angle drawing from luis royo covering my whole back and i am getting the vines and roses on my left rib cage, then taking the vines on both sides and running them down and aroung my legs, then i am getting my daughters names in the witches alphabet. who knows after that is all done i may think of more."

Soooooo...when not wearing a bathing suit you tend to wear a burka?

no i do not have all of the ones i want and most of the ones i have now are covered by my shirts and hair. my tattoos are not on me to make others look at me they are there because i want them there and they mean a lot to me. i do not wear clothes that show them off because i am not as you called it a slut.

Soooo.... does that mean I have a snowball's chance in hell of seeing you naked? lol

5. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 13 years ago

I like tattoos. I don't have any personally, as I don't think they'd look good on me, but many of my friends do. I think it looks nice especially on guys.

I think tramp-stamps are trashy however, but I have female friends who have some tasteful and awesome tattoos.

Tattoos are sexy on some, and trashy on others. All I say, is do it if YOU like it. That's what matters.

i agree with the tramp stamps i dislike them it is a way that girls can wear their pants low with short shirts so guys will look at their butts lol. i have many and you can see most of them only if i allow you to.

6. jennshealthstore profile image79
    jennshealthstoreposted 13 years ago

Tattoos do not make the person trashy, people make themselves trashy. So if a Tattoo is on a trashy person, then yes it might look trashy. Otherwise no.

7. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I have 12 tatoos and am currently working on getting a full arm sleave, just one... I also work in a nursing home.. None of the patients seem to have a problem with them and I am not required to have them covered...

1. kmackey32 profile image64

I have a hub that shows all my tattoos... I just love color and even allow my daughter to get them...

i show mine in a hub also but they are my older ones i have recently had the roses and vines filled in actually 2 days ago and had the goddess symbol added to my wrists.

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I think tattoos are awesome, in general.  I've seen some trashy people with really ugly ones, makes you wonder.  But what I don't like much is large shoulder and arm tattoos (sleeves?) on women, I guess I haven't seen really, really good ones yet.  When the tattoos start to take over and smother your own natural beauty, that's no good.  I love small tasteful tattoos around ankles especially.  I also wonder if people have their tattoos "refreshed" so the color stays good.  Faded tattoos can look nice, but usually not.  Tattoo artists, the good ones, are very conscientious about the art they make.

John Irving wrote a wonderful novel called "Until I Find You" - the main character's mother is a tattoo artist in Toronto - It introduced me to tattoos and tattoo artists and the book (as all his books) is awesome.

9. 2pretty2sweat profile image61
    2pretty2sweatposted 13 years ago

I am a huge fan of tattoos and I myself have 3 small ones. I want a half sleeve and many more and I want all of my tattoos to have meaning to them. I am a fan of black ink. It's very hard growing up with judge-mental parents that strictly don't believe in body modification.

I feel for ya.. my mother is the only person who judges me.. She hates tattoos.

1. profile image0

My mother didnt talk to me for over a year after my first tattoo. it was prettty awesoem!

LOL yea... My mother said she dont want me to be seen with her without them covered... I asked her why and she said because of what people may think... And she said tattoos make people look like a drug addict. I informed her that I was taught not to stereotype when I was in school and left it at that... I guess I wont be going to her house anytime soon if she cant except me for me and what I like.....

hold your head high she will get over it. your body is your own art paper fill it how you please.

2. profile image0

my Mom thinks God is going to smite me, and she doesnt want to be seen as an acomplice to my sins.

2. JulieMcDaniel profile image61

me and my mom still fuss about mine everytime i talk to her she is like so what did you get done this time. she tells me i will be judged for them on day (we have different religions). i just tell her that if i get judge for the tattoos i have then that is not so bad because it is all i do for me i do not rape kill steal or beat people so being judged for them i can hold my head high. and btw she has one also lol.

OMg she even has one and judges... lol My mother says just think when u get old those are going to be saging... I'm sure when I get old there will be more important things to worry about....

2. profile image0

people judge, they shouldn't, I get mad when I see someone else being judged but when it happens to me I tend ot not really worry about it so much, as its happend most my life Im pretty much like..whatever, some people like me, some dont..I like me so thats all that matters.

So true.....

2. JulieMcDaniel profile image61

i agree let people talk thats what they do i tend to not listen to them i feel let them talk because as they talk about me they make me immortal.

1. profile image0

HAHA!! thats great, never thought of it like that before. smile

10. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I have four. On of three dragon flies on my left arm, one for each child. A sun on my right inner ankle, and a tiny flower on my left wrist. I did those two myself..stupid I know but I was young...  and I even have the awful trashy tramp stamp. But the reason I got mine is I think the shape of it goes well with the shape of my body and it has nothing to do with wearing low rise pants. Im getting a pheonix either along my side or on my back, havent decided yet and a chinese dragon to go along with my sun on my leg. Im not too worreid about what peopel think of them, they are fo rme. And I love talking to peopel about their tatoos and what they mean to them. Ive met some prettty cool people by asking them about their tattoos.

11. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I totally dislike tattoos, but I also totally respect another's right to have them if they want them.  I think the difference in whether a tattoo appears trashy is made up of several factors.....what it is, where it is, and the attitude of the wearer.  In other words, if the person displays trashy subject matter and acts and/or dresses trashy, they will be judged to be trashy by most people.  Tasteful artistic tattoos nicely displayed by a person who acts classy will be much more respected by most.  Please understand these are generalizations.

12. Ivorwen profile image67
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Everyone has their own reasons for getting or not getting tattoos.  I know people have thier own impressions of them, but I don't think you can judge anything about the person, at this current point in life, just based on a tattoo or the lack there of.

My husband always marvels that I am the one with a tat, while he has none, because I have always been 'a good girl' while he use to be lead guitar in a punk band.

13. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I don't think I would ever have a tattoo.  They are not automatically "bad" but people do make judgements on them.  I respect people's rights to have them though and some do like quite cool. 

It also depends on why people have them - if it is just because they it is cool then it is definitely wrong!

Still I would never judge someone on just their tattoo but it is not a good first impression.

14. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

I think for me, if I was to get a tattoo (and almost did and still contemplate it from time to time) it has to have a meaning for me...not for anyone else.  My ex spent more than 3 years on and off creating a story within his tattoo - I get it; so does he; but no one else really and truly does understand the meaning of his tattoo - for me, it's a very personal creative expression....whatever you are expressing and communicating....and then he got this tattoo that I thought was kind of stupid because I didn't understand the meaning of it...I don't think he understood either..kind of like a thing to do at the time....I couldn't see the meaning of it...my perspective (subjective view of a piece of art)...but....I'm not wearing it, so what do I know; and what do I care.

I guess it all depends on what you want from a tattoo that will stay with you forever.

15. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

It all depends on the tattoos and the type of person who has them. Personally, I don't think they're sexy, though some are very interesting to look at...I know a couple of very talented tattoo artists who switched to working on bodies when they realized that working on canvas wouldn't make a living for them, and their work is awesome.

Many of my friends and family members have tattoos that have special significance for them, generally memorials to lost siblings or children, or reminders of turning points in their lives. Most of the veterans I know, including my husband, have no tattoos to signify their time serving their country, though I do notice that my husband's "Navy Veteran" hat gets noticed a lot more than the tattoos on those that do have them.

I also know quite a few people who have gotten tattoos in suggestive spots simply to get people to look, and these are the ones that I consider unequivocally trashy. It might be an unfair judgment in some people's cases, but that's what I think about it and that's where it fits into the standard of modesty I was raised with.

16. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I don't think tattoos make people look sexy or trashy, because I don't associate them with sex.

Of course, I do sometimes make judgments about tattoos, but it's usually about the quality of the work or the uniqueness of the idea.  Something like a tattoo of a butterfly on a woman's lower back or a skull on a guy's forearm is so cliche, so overdone, that I might generalize about the person, but I try to avoid that as much as possible.

I have 3 tattoos.  Two are around my left ankle: the phases of the moon, and an anklet of thorns that a tattoo artist freehanded for me.  The one that's most commonly visible is a Norse bindrune on the back of my neck.  I'm not sure what conclusions people could draw from that.  Most people don't even know what it is.

17. Hubbin4V12 profile image63
    Hubbin4V12posted 13 years ago

as a rocker, it can be attractive, not so much in terms of sexuality but in terms of confidence and artistic expression. Females that exude that level of self esteem are hot, pure and simple. Now some tatts can be a little strange to say the least, so who knows, everyone has there own thing, trashy depends on whose looking.

18. Chatkath profile image72
    Chatkathposted 13 years ago

If I had it to do over again I say forget the ink, unless it's easily concealable! Over time, you change, you get sick of looking at the same thing year after year....
    There are so many other ways to be creative without permanently altering your bod.
    Just a thought, I actually like my tatoo but it's huge and some folks just don't appreciate it.

19. privateye2500 profile image39
    privateye2500posted 13 years ago

I wouldn't say they are ever *trashy* - just - ummmm - over done or not to someones elses liking (and who CARES about that - so long as YOU like it.

I have some with great meaning.  I would never get a tatoo for no *reason* - it has to have a real MEANING for me. A sign of my life travels on the inside.

20. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

I personally don't have any but I have no problem with tattoos at all. The only type of tattoo I really detest is when random people have "Chinese"/"Korean"/"Asian" letters and they have no relation to it at all. It's so overdone too. Yuck

21. brenden75 profile image58
    brenden75posted 13 years ago

you know what I was 16 when i got my first one done with a guitar string and a battery.that was the beginning.I am 35 have a child and you know what else I have both sleeves all my back,knees up and chest.I am officially called the "coolest mom ever".I have a professional job and everything is conealable.when people come up to me and ask me why i did it I reply "its my body and if you dont like it dont look at it" and alot of people chastise me for it but oh well.I think they are beautiful and if you get then at least do them in color.the black and white is too gangster and people expect you to have gone to prison.Ive been in tattoo magazines and worked at tattoo shops.Well I say  now days if you dont have tattoos then you are just as beautiful.weither it be religion,choice or family do what you want with or without tattoos.They are going to be accepted everywhere.

22. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Tattoos are neither sexy nor trashy.  At least not anymore.  Tattoos are a fashion statement or a way for an individual to express themselves.  I personally don't think about tattoos when I meet someone - what catches my attention is their actions, behavior, mannerisms, and speech patterns.  As for me personally, I see no reason to permanently alter the surface of my skin only to suffer through a painful tattoo removal in 10 years if I were to change my mind.  No Thanks!

23. JoanWhite profile image54
    JoanWhiteposted 13 years ago

I think tattoos and body piercings usually make a person dispaly some of their inward personalities that people dont know. A feeling of being beautiful.

Not much about self esteem and people too are different.

24. profile image54
    traderstoneposted 13 years ago

I think body tattoos are very sexy, they can show one's personality and help them become the spotlight wherever they are.

25. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I suppose for some people, they're a deeply felt expression, and if they want to have them, fine.  What I hate are tattoos (or piercings) that are so over-done that it becomes distracting when you meet someone for the first time.  A nice smile and good eye contact are important and the first things that I want to see.

I would never get a tat.  I was not blessed with good skin, and have had many issues around this.  So the last thing I'd ever do is make a permanent mark of any kind on my body.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)