anyone actually get any url trackers out there making money for them

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

Has anyone actually got any people to sign up for hubpages throught their url tracker and made them money.  Be good to sit back and have some other people out there working for you.

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Yes.

3. jamesphilipson profile image58
    jamesphilipsonposted 13 years ago

No, I wasn't even aware that this is possible. Would someone care to elaborate please?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is some basic information:

http://hubpages.com/tour/affiliate/

1. jamesphilipson profile image58
        jamesphilipsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for that. I've been missing out for a while it seems- time I started paying a bit more attention to these kinds of things methinks.

4. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Check out the video tutorial on our Facebook page!

5. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

I've had 5 people sign up through the url trackers. One was a person I personally directed to sign up . . . but that was after two others had signed up . . . I've not promoted it heavily but I simply linked between my hubs using the link this page tab. How much money? Probably pennies right now at best.

6. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

I watched the video tutorial on the trackers. I see the purpose is to really bring people in to Hubpages. So in the future, Hubpages may not allow the trackers within the Hubs or profiles? Got it.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand not using trackers in the Q&A section and forums, but within a persons own profile and hubs would suck. I often use it to monitor traffic between my flagship and capstone hubs.

There is a problem that would arise too, in sending a person to the sign up page. If a person gets to your hub via a search and you send them to sign up to HubPages within that hub... if you don't get the credit for it it will be like having quality traffic stolen from you.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I guess it's because it's costing HP money in ongoing commissions but it would be disappointing if they implement it.

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Has this actually been stated by Hubpages? If so, where?

I am not doubting it, but seeing as I have spent the past two days heavily internally linking with referral trackers... I would like to see any source if possible?

And yes, it would firmly suck. 71 of my referrals have arisen through my internal links. The rest have been straight to a special Hubpages landing page.

The alternative is for me to remove every single page leak from my hubpages, including my own internal links, as otherwise - without the chance of an occassional referral - I would much rather people left from through my Ads or Capsules. Whilst yes they will also be leaving in the Hubpages share, they aint gonna be getting any sign up once they have left through one of those doors...

I guess I will have to put my little project on hold, whilst I wait to see whether this is implemented. With 600,000 page views per month... I am of course very careful about where I lead that traffic... through a tracker URL is of more benefit to Hubpages than to my own sites, which is a clear option available to me...

2. darkside profile image65

On the video tutorial

If I don't get any potential benefit from linking to fellow hubbers hubs from my own hubs, I just won't link to them at all. So if it's going to cost me, it in turn will cost them.

1. relache profile image71
            relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

1. profile image0

Same here too, I am really frustrated actually... having just created about 200 new internal links with tracker code in them. I guess I will commence with removing them all again and think about where else I can drive the traffic.

1. darkside profile image65

At the end of the video Simone says "In the future we may not honor trackers embedded in hubs or profiles either."

I certainly hope they keep the program the way it is. If a change like that is made I'll be a very disgruntled hubber.

1. profile image0
                  shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This cost cutting strategy would not be beneficial to hubpages business model. 

I have noticed within the last six months that Hubpages doesn't seem to advertise the benefit of tracker referrals formally - I learned about it through your Hub, Darkside (thank you).  The irradication of referrals seems to have been on the cards for some time - just my observation.  However, to implement this change would be detrimental to Hubpages - especially as times are tough and advertising budgets are being squeezed.  The key to getting through these tough times, is to make a little bit of money, en mass.  How do you create enmass?  By using existing clients (or writers in our case) to generate, spread the 'good' word and encourage people to join Hubpages and earn some money!  The more that create, the more can be earned.  A smaller percentage is better than no percentage at all!  This is a basic, common sense, business strategy.

(it seems the new algorithym change in Google, has had dire implications to HP as well)

2. profile image0

I currently make no use of either of my two permitted outgoing affiliate links in about 470 of my 480 hubs.

The result in this will be, without a doubt, the removal of my internal links and the incorporation of approximately 940 outgoing affiliate links.

Thats not out of spite either, I am not making enough money from 600,000 page views per month and recently considered internal linking as a means of boosting my income. With me being unable to tap into the lucrative eBay revenue stream, I will have to find other suitable alternatives from which to take full benefit from my efforts here on Hubpages.

I may well actually stop at 500 hubs, and begin to drive as much of that traffic as possible to the 7 or 8 domains that I am not currently utilising.

I know that this will hurt you Darkside. The irony is that this will hurt the best hubbers the most, it is a shame... especially when I consider how much it is that you have given this site. The stuff that you have done on the learning center is fantastic, and most people do not realise that the vast majority of your informative Hubs about this site are entirely non-monetised. So many people have gained so much from you, and the business has gained as a result.

I actually feel like an employee having a benefit taken away. I am fully aware however that I am not an employee, I own my content, and that Hubpages is a service provider. They provide a good service, I choose to use that service. It is a mutually beneficial arrangement. I have always told myself that if the revenue share dropped from 60% to any amount, even 59%, I would move my content. This move does however feel precisely like that, a reduction in revenue share. And it has made me reconsider my position; particularly now that I have successfully managed to rank higher with two of my personal blog posts than hubpages with the same titles.

1. profile image0

Wow! Your traffic is growing exponentially, isn't it?

2. profile image0

I agree, we could of course use external affiliate links if that is Hubpages preferred option. My understanding was that trackers are a viable alternative to sending your Hubpages traffic straight away from the site again.

Although of course, this is speculation right now isn't it?

7. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I would imagine it was stated at the facebook page video?

I also would be discouraged by this - i use trackers heavily - to track - and understand my traffic flow on HP but referrals are nice to.

I think i have a decent percentage of referrals compared to the stats I often see shared..it would be a shame to discourage me from having any reason to promote hubpages.com rather than just my own content.

8. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

About 25% of my hub income comes via trackers.

I feed this place visitors from other sites, so it's right I should get something in return.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. How do you track that exactly? I have never been able to work out how to track it myself.

1. brettb profile image60
        brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've had 5000 hub views via my tracker. Most come from my own website (established in the stone age, very popular). I've also signed up 6 hubbers.

The AdSense reports show a lot more clicks compared to Analytics. I'm therefore assuming that these are clicks on pages via my tracker and signup-ees.

2. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Always wondered how to figure it out too.

9. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

The very talk about HubPages possibly not honoring URL trackers on profile pages and in hubs is demoralizing. In recent weeks, I and others have been spending countless hours helping explain to at least a dozen newbies and established hubbers how to correctly set up their URL trackers. People have been emailing me, we've posted to forums and answered questions. HP made us believe it is important, now what's the point?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, not only would it be a bad business move on Hubpages part, it can be a demoralising strategy to those who have committed, promoted and been loyal to this site.

What needs to be considered within managment, is there is no such thing as customer loyalty (and remember we are customers too!) - when customers are disappointed with a service, what do they do?  They walk away!  Many wont even feedback why they walked away... they just simply... disappear!

As someone who has been in business many years, I know this from experience.  A writer at hubpages is a returning customer - returning customers are your bread and butter!

I will say no more on the subject - the business men behind the scenes, now have an informed choice.  At the end of the day, no business is bigger than their customers!

2. profile image0

I have just created almost 200 new internal links, literally in the past few days. They have already seen 5311 traffic views, and that was the very start of a much wider project. I would have created around 1000 internal links. Those 5311 traffic views can quite easily be directed down a different path.

1. profile image0

That's right. Hubbers never complain... until they do.

1. profile image0

What does that mean?

1. profile image0

Sorry, just an expression. No one likes to be taken for granted, even hubbers, who are usually enthusiastic and don't expect much in return for all the time invested on this site. Hubbers usually don't complain, but if they feel unfairly treated then they will not hesitate to speak up. I wasn't talking about you in particular.

10. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

bump

11. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

We should all join a pool and close our accounts and all create new accounts using the hublinks and everyone sign up using another hublink.  Of course it would have to be random as everyone would want to have the 100 score hubbers be their hublink.

12. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Please rest assured, we will not institute a change like this without serious reflection and due warning.

PS> shazwellyn, please do not bump threads if you have nothing new to say.

1. profile image0

So is it your advice that we should keep helping newbies set up URL trackers on their profile pages?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we should all keep helping newbies understand URL trackers, period.

13. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 13 years ago

I echo the concern of all of you.  I have 97 signups (mainly from internal linking) and they are a significant part of my earning strategy here.  I would be deeply annoyed if the rules suddenly changed. 

If I bring in a new hubber then I get 10% and HubPages gets 30% of their earnings.  Surely this is a win/win (but biased in favour of HubPages)or am I missing something?  With the proposed new model surely everyone would loose out?

14. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Ooops.. sorry Maddie, didnt realise

15. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

I find it mystifying that HubPages would even consider not honouring referral trackers in Hubs and profiles.

How many of us have a sentence in our profile encouraging fellow writers to join up? 

And how many of us, when writing Hubs about writing online, even if it's not about HP, will throw in a promo for the site? 

If we're not going to get any credit for stuff like that, we're less likely to do it - I can't see how that's productive.

16. ns1209 profile image62
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I just wrote a hub about how trackers work - please don't make it useless!

What would be the point of not letting people link to other hubs and encouraging people to sign up in profiles.  Remember any free promotion is better than none and no percentage of nothing is a lot worse than a small percentage of something!

17. ns1209 profile image62
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Some Questions: 1)How can you work out how much money a referral has made you on Adsense or Amazon?

2) If you link to your own hubs with trackers will you get more impressions?

3) I understand 10% for new users but how does linking to others hubs work? Do you get all the impressions for 120 minutes?

4) If on a backlink you include a tracker (I know you can't on most sites) however if you can will it be counted as a backlink to your page?

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So on average.... what % of those that click on the hubber's link 'join here' actually DO SIGN up via that hubber offering the joining facility? hmm

Clearly if HP intend Not to Honour that... then those parties are being redirected to where? hmm

Ditto re the concerns posted earlier...
      Sometimes it seems a bit of magic left here when the dog left.. at least he had a real sense of humor smile

18. Dardia profile image59
    Dardiaposted 13 years ago

I got 4 people signed up with hubpages before I even knew about the tracker. Is there anyway that can be added now? Or is there something else offered in such a case?

1. profile image0

No madam, that train has left the station.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)