christianity a big lie

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (139 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

Most of the gospels are fabrications, tradition outright lies. why a religion supposed to be founded on truth lie so much? why the  church amass so much wealth while their Jesus was so much against it?
    i donot know how to rephrase it more subtly. most Christians may not know nor agree that all their gospel is a myth. but then why people base their life on something they donot know nor cannot know?

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They don't know any other way to live. They dont have the capacity for critical thinking. They have been taught from day one to believe this myth or die a horrific death for all of eternity. The fact that they believe in the horrific death for all of eternity, makes it easier to get them to buy into anything that will save them from it. Some kids out grow thoughts of mythical creatures and super powered humans as they grow up. Some still retain these thoughts and produce block buster movies in the mythology genre. Way too many retain these thoughts and become practicing christians who demand the entire world obey their favorite mythical being. Of course their mythical being always makes it acceptable to kill any who dare to believe in a different mythical being or worse yet, no mythical being. Amen.

I forgot to mention that I thought the title should have read...All Organized Religion is a Big Lie

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is correct. Religion, in any form is the real lie.

True Christianity is not based on lies.

LIe

1. A falsehood uttered or acted for the purpose of deception; an intentional violation of truth; an untruth spoken with the intention to deceive. [1913 Webster]

The proper notion of a lie is an endeavoring to deceive another by signifying that to him as true, which we ourselves think not to be so. --S. Clarke. [1913 Webster]

It is willful deceit that makes a lie. A man may act a lie, as by pointing his finger in a wrong direction when a traveler inquires of him his road. --Paley. [1913 Webster]

2. A fiction; a fable; an untruth. --Dryden. [1913 Webster]

3. Anything which misleads or disappoints. [1913 Webster]

Fiction

1. The act of feigning, inventing, or imagining; as, by a mere fiction of the mind. --Bp. Stillingfleet. [1913 Webster]

2. That which is feigned, invented, or imagined; especially, a feigned or invented story, whether oral or written. Hence: A story told in order to deceive; a fabrication; -- opposed to fact, or reality. [1913 Webster]

3. Fictitious literature; comprehensively, all works of imagination; specifically, novels and romances. [1913 Webster]

4. (Law) An assumption of a possible thing as a fact, irrespective of the question of its truth. --Wharton. [1913 Webster]

Fable

1. A Feigned story or tale, intended to instruct or amuse; a fictitious narration intended to enforce some useful truth or precept; an apologue. See the Note under Apologue. [1913 Webster]

Apologue

A story or relation of fictitious events, intended to convey some moral truth; a moral fable. [1913 Webster]

Note: An apologue differs from a parable in this;: the parable is drawn from events which take place among mankind, and therefore requires probability in the narrative; the apologue is founded on supposed actions of brutes or inanimate things, and therefore is not limited by strict rules of probability. [AE]sop's fables are good examples of apologues. [1913 Webster]

4. Fiction; untruth; falsehood. [1913 Webster]

What is Christianity based on again?

I believe Christianity is based on a collection of pagan religions that existed prior to it becoming the belief system de jour. The virgin birth on or about Dec 25th, the crucifiction, the resurrection and the savior rising to heaven to rule beside the father, are all common story lines in numerous pagan religions in existance long before christianity was dreamed up. I am assuming that since paganismis what christianity is based upon and you stated that christianity wasn't based on lies, you obviously celebrate your pagan beliefs. correct?

"I believe Christianity is ...." thanks for admitting that you are a person of faith! smile (That's a positive criticism on my part)

" am assuming that since paganismis what christianity is based upon and you stated that christianity wasn't based on lies, you obviously celebrate your pagan beliefs. correct?"

Incorrect!

Assumptions can lead you way off track. But nice try.

Since you don't believe the authenticity and integrity of the Bible, nor it's teachings, I would not expect any different an answer from you. cool

Thanks for the lesson out of the dictionary. I didn't need a definition!

2. buffalo49 profile image61
              buffalo49posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Chrismas is all about the Winter Solstice. By December 25th the days start getting longer again and we know we won't be frozen to death by a sun that just goes away and never comes back.

2. profile image0
            Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is 'true christianit?'

2. profile image48
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Instead one may suggest that the disorganized Atheism is not truthful.

3. arb profile image78
          arbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Stump! Perhaps disorganize religion will do a better Job?

LOL, a better job at what? Misleading millions of people into believing they are better than the rest of the world? No I bellieve organized religion has done quite well with that one. Besides dis-organized religion wouldn't offer a weekly bingo game.

2. profile image58
        foreignpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You obviously don't understand the concept of higher power. We have been given a set of principles to live by. Whether we do so is called a "life choice." Further, God is more concerned with eternal life than with the day-to-day affairs of flawed beings -- to include members of the clergy and various religions. You do have a choice on how to live your life. You might be an island in a sea of liberal guilt. But you do have a choice.

2. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice statement but what discussion are you trying to conjure.  It's another religious war on the forums.  Pick a specific doctrine or practice out and debate that if you want.  It's not very productive when someone opens up a thread with sentiments of how their own application of faith has apparently failed them.

I can say that sauerkraut is a big lie because I find it repulsive.  Artichokes as well right along with Poi from Hawaii.  However, if I were to take the time to learn the benefits of these foods and their histories I might not be so hasty in judging them.

I admit, it would take an act of God to "strong-arm" me into ingesting these revolting items. smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

goldenpath - your's is a logical statement, one which I hope people take to heart.  There isn't much sense in debating an emotional opinion without stating anything concrete to debate for or against.

3. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May God bless you and sooth your anger

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you speak from a position of ignorance.  It would be a good idea to do some reading and educating yourself before you talk about something you don't know.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? Specifically what is wrong with the statement? Although it is somewhat heartfelt - it is accurate. Nice to see you attacking some one who is obviously in pain though. As usual - defending your beliefs is more important - is it not?

I concur that most of the gospels are complete fabrication. There is absolutely no non-biblical evidence to support them. The church has indeed amassed enormous wealth against Jesus' directive, and the gospels are myths - not reality.

Why do you base your life on something you do not and can not know? I bet you cannot even define this god thing you supposedly worship.

So - what is wrong with the OP's statement? Prove the gospels are anything but fabricated adaptations of earlier myths please.

1. Joy56 profile image67
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Will someone ban this man.....

Can you answer my questions? Do you know where the earlier myths that provided fodder for the Bishops that wrote the bible came from?

1. Joy56 profile image67

The Bishops Wrote The Bible????????

1. Flightkeeper profile image67

Just ignore him, he has a lot of rage.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny how believers wish to impose their beliefs on us, telling us how to live and what to do and what not to do based on their ancient myths and superstitions. Then, when their impositions are questioned or criticized, they dismiss it as if some infant were crying for a Popsicle at the ice cream stand.

Of course, we witness this behavior all the time from believers who are only interested in imposing their beliefs where nothing else matters. Your opinions and ideas are not wanted or welcomed and will not be considered under any circumstances, you will simply bow down to the will of the believer and their beliefs, and be damn happy about doing so. smile

1. buffalo49 profile image61
                    buffalo49posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a fairly dangerous thing to threaten someone's belief system, especially when their faith is blind. You will disturb the security of the herd and might cause some members to go off on their own and think for themselves. What do you think the members of the dwindling herd would do if there wasn't a herd to belong to? They'd be lost.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People always search for answers to questions and who knows really what is the answer to everything. People do err and you are lucky if you can find those who are really examples of what they believe in

6. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

uuuhhhh...sounds like you got that off your chest...feel better now? How are people suppose to explain something they believe in with passion...against someone who believes so strongly against it.  For those who always state that there must be "logic"...placed before them...in order to believe. That simply...is not "logical"...a belief can not be perfectly explained in to logic. So, I conclude that a belief system can not be explained...because it is therefore...a belief in the first place!

http://www.scifimetropolis.com/actionfigures/startrek/Proposed%20Spock%20prototype.jpg

"That is not..."logical." Familiar Statement made by Spock, of the Star Ship Enterprise

Me,Steve - not sure who you're responding to, but your 'logic' is well placed.  When it comes to the mysteries, I can agree with you that they are not always explainable in what appears to be logical terms.  Debate is an art form in itself.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Steve, I love your true meaningful post. For anyone who desire to seek God for themselves will come alive to a personal spiritual  experience with God, and this all starts with faith, not logic. We don't have to prove to a unbeliever  that God exist. I praise him for his mighty works and the wonderful things he has done. smile

1. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would be great if believers actually had faith in something that made sense, instead something absurd.

With this line of thinking, having faith in, and praising the Flying Spaghetti Monster is just as valid.

Also we should, just as well, praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster for His mighty works and the wonderful things He has done.

NO! We can't totally disgard logic.

7. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me help you rephrase it more subtly.

CATHOLIC CHURCH CATHOLIC DOCTRINE CATHOLIC INQUISITION

does that help? Now that you have stopped blaming all the innocent christians and have actually stepped out of the past and into the present, you can now, with some research i suppose, see how this one church, with all its child r*pers, has harmed all of the people who do not have the information presented in caps, above.
      You need to separate catholic from God completely. These are ungodly men, filled with ungodly doctrine, doing ungodly things and believing they are right with jesus. Not true, they are not right with jesus.
      But how about you?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? Is that your call to make? Are you not "assuming the office of God" in making that statement?

They may very well say the same thing about you, and most likely would if they were to read your words here.

Of course, we both know there are many different factions and sects of Christianity, thousands of them, all having different perceptions and ideals about the bible and Christ.

And, I'm sure that if an atheist ever mentioned the fact that so many factions and sects of Christianity exist and they all disagree with each other, Christians would stand up and defend them by stating emphatically that those disagreements are small and irrelevant in light of the fact that all Christians everywhere, despite their differences, are "right with jesus" smile

2. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

As to the OP, you need to just study a little bit of textual criticism, and that will crumble your argument that it's all just made up.

Besides, WHO is the one that made this lie up? And, WHY? If it was more than one, how did they all come up with such a unified story?

There must have been an awesome conspiracy going on 2000+/- yrs ago. They have affected all of humanity till this very day.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that conspiracy was from between 1860 to a few years ago - from the first compilation of bits, through the total reworkings and fabrications of Paul - to the various Popes with vested interests in their own slant on things to King James who you seem content is the authority to TELL you what was written before and how to read it.

After King James of course everyone and his dog had a go at it and the misinterpretaions just flooded out from the original misinterpretations and translations and fabrications.

At base it is a good story with many positive suggestions for a good way of living - shame christians aren't up to it.

3. sustainable profile image60
    sustainableposted 13 years ago

While we agree that Religion has had its side effects on humanity,we cannot but agree that our entire spiritual consciousness has brought light to man.

Delving deeply into the nature of consciousness of life is generally shrouded in a mystery;this is the fundamental fact which confronts us.We live in a cave with our backs to the light,and, as Plato said,our knowledge is nothing more than the shadows which play upon its walls.Granted that this so,then it follows that our intellectual lives are purely symbolical existences.All our thoughts are nothing more than symbols of a mystery,whether it embraces God-the ultimate source of all things-or reality-the tangible world in which we live.

With his ordinary understanding man cannot understand the revelation of mysteries.Mysteries are transcendental.Transcendental knowledge is knowledge which transcends the intelligence,yet it need not therefore be knowledge which is beyond the focus of the mind.The differential calculus is common knowledge to the mathematician,and yet it is trascendental to the majority of mankind.So also practically all science;it is in itself the perquisite of the few whom we call the wise.

Wisdom is only revealed to Masters who know how to keep the balance because they have been initiated.There is no foolishness in the core values of Religion.The only error of today is a profession of values and principles that does nothing.

Jesus the Christ understood this when He said:"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,neither cast ye your pearls before swine,lest they trample them under their feet,and turn again and rend you."

To the common folk Christ spoke in parables not because He was of a common mind,but because He was an initiate of Universal Wisdom,so understood how fine is the division between reason and madness,and how easily can  knowledge dissolve the filament which separates these two.Hence the essential wisdom,is largely the application of knowledge to circumstances which has always been realized in ancient times!

sustainable - I have not heard anyone since I've been on hubpages, lay this principle out so succinctly and IMO accurately.  Jesus spoke of that which we should call intuition, the knowing of things which only the indweller can know, not because they are learned but because they are remembered.  The very existence of the seen is for the sake of the seer and most of us have manifested our ignorance into experiences which do not promote us to a higher consciousness.  The afflictions of the mind are what keep us from remembering, keep us from a pure state from which we can understand, see, the core of the mysteries.  Few live in austerity, free from impurities and agitations, able to embrace any mystic union.

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sustainable:
      Your words are proof that you are not a credible, educated "hubber" in ref to the subject you tried to express.

This is why I say that. This is your comment: "Jesus the Christ understood this when He said:..."

Jesus (whoever he might have been) never spoke a word, nor wrote a word that can be "quoted."

The Aramaic language was lost centuries ago and the "heresay" offered in the NT was not promulgated to the public for almost 300 yrs after this alledged jesus fellow was, alledgedly. killed.

No one "knows" anything about this jesus fellow.

Stories about "him" were corrupted by time and imagination as they were passed down thru many, many generations before they were amalgamated into the NT.

By the way, many "stories" were not included.

Qwark

1. profile image58

Please, keep in mind that you do not have spiritual intuition, you are not an indweller, and you do not have a higher consciousness; you are too centered on the self. For these reasons, you are forgiven for your spiritual transgressions.

1. qwark profile image61

Foreign Press:
          ...and you are?
          Well hallelujah and praise the lord!
          I have met the "indweller" who has forgiven me for my transgressions!
          I am truly blessed and heaven bound!
          Amen and amen!!!
          Qwark    smile:

I feel so lost and out of the know, not being an indweller.
            They sound so superior to us regular folk.
            Maybe I can be one of them indwellers too! lol lol

1. qwark profile image61

Getitrite:
              The "indwellers" have insight that we "souless" pitiful, seeking creatures can only hope and "pray" for!   smile:
              Qwark

2. profile image58

Consider yourself duly saved. Now, venture into society and live your life accordingly.

2. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Boy is this post fully loaded. lol lol lol

The only spirituality humans need to accept is love. End of story.

1. qwark profile image61

hahaha  Cags, I didn't know I was "hubbing" with this "god thing!"

That was my first, actual, "chat" with 'god!" ...and "it" forgave me!

"Foreign press!" GOD! I never would have guessed!

I am so damned blessed! Praise the "foreignpress!"

AMEN!!  smile:
            Qwark

4. sustainable profile image60
    sustainableposted 13 years ago

If I may ask:What is TRUTH?

No, not WHAT, but WHO?

ans. Jesus, of course!

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So not Yeshua Ben Yosef then?

Dunno him!

Maybe his little finger qualifies. hmm

Don't know him! lol
            Um I hate to break it to you but the guy who is supposed to have lived 2 thousand years ago, was nailed to a cross for teaching far out there ideas about god, his real name, given by his mother was Yeshua Ben Yosef. Jesus is an English bastardization (excuse me translation) of the name Yeshua. When your gospels gets the guys name right I might consider treating them like, well, gospel.

You are wasting your time. Most of them have no idea who wrote the book they blindly quote, nor do they understand the true message. They just want to tell you wot god sed.  sad

Ah Mark, I doff my cap to thee
                Nice to see a little sensibility smile

Oddly I learned the name Yeshua from a book of fiction written in 1930's Russia, go figure! Seems even that book didn't have it quite right, but it was a hell of a lot closer then the bible, thats for sure. Yeshua Ha-Nozri what how they got it instead of Yeshua Ben Yosef but you can see why I think this fictional book got closer to the supposed proper name smile

2. Joy56 profile image67

Mark please do not be so rude.....

I don't personally take what mark says as being rude, really, just exacerbated really. He seems very exacerbated with religion in general really. A long while back mark and I had a little back and forth as I do believe in a God concept. I felt obliged to tell him that while I do believe in God I don't do whatever generalization it was he had made about those who believe in God. I didn't take it as rude then, just a common mistake that both sides make (generalizations). Generally speaking even tho I am no atheist I find the religious remarks made far more offensive then any remarks I read from mark. He has to try harder if he wants to offend me lol

3. profile image56
                C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is "WAT GAWD SED"
                Get it right! If your going to pretend to speak authentic frontier gibberish do a little research!

2. aka-dj profile image65

re Ben Yosef. Never heard the term before.
              Thanks for the info. If that is correct, then it doesn't change my original post which was...

ans. Jesus

BTW, Bastardised? It's simply a Greek version of Yeshuah. It's not uncommon for names to take quite a dramatic when transliterated.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67

aka, it's either all right or it's all wrong. lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image60

How odd. You - who has a "personal relationship," with Yeshua Ben Yosef.

He never mentioned this in all your personal conversations?

lol lol lol lol lol
                  lol lol lol lol lol

5. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Mark has been beating at the same old drum for a long time, and i just wonder wha he gets out of it........  You can stand on your own two feet, just that i have only just really come back to forums and this must be my 3rd year on hubpages, and he is still belting out the same rubbish.... I just wonder why sometimes, but maybe if i just ignore that would be better.... cheers.

Ignoring those who can wind you up is a good idea smile
      I get wound up by a hubber who is like the exact opposite of mark, a 'true believer' (as opposed to a faithful believer). She runs at the first good challenge to how she uses her religion to defend her disrespect of those with other religious beliefs. I have had to learn to ignore her or wind up saying something I would not be proud of and would probably get banned for smile

For those who like to debate and challenge beliefs without a sense of judgment I am always up for a bit of back n forth smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

I know what you mean.  Do you have set religious beliefs?

Nope smile
          I avoid at all costs setting my beliefs in religious stone so to speak. I tend to be of the belief that religion kills true spiritual growth. My church is eloquently summed up with this one sentence.

Where so ever two people gather in my name, that is church. I eschew religion as it looks to me to be a money making machine or a tool for control, with its manipulations and discouragement of free thinking.

1. Joy56 profile image67

I know what you mean.......

2. Mark Knowles profile image60

That is because you do not read what I write. I think religion is not a good thing. But because you are a "christian" - who has not even read the bible - you think that opinion is rubbish.

I am online anyway and make a living online. I have seven windows open, am chatting on two other sites and doing several work related tasks.

But you see what you want to see don't you. And it is always the same thing. And if it is not pro religion - it is rubbish.

Let me know when you have bothered to read your bible that you follow. wink

Mark - this is off topic but question:  when you have several windows open, does the forum you might be in update others' comments or do you have to go back to main forum menu to update?  I have to keep clicking back and forth.  Is there a way to avoid this?

No - it does not update and you have to go back. Some do - such as facebook, but not this one.

I usually just hit the refresh button in my browser smile

So do I if I am only in one thread. big_smile

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Joy, Mark fills the empty void inside of him when he continues to be rude and insult believers. God bless his heart.

6. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Mark why do you say i have not read my bible. Believe it or not i have about eight different translations of the bible in my house, i read and study the bible almost every day.,.... Who do you actually think you are....

Who do you think you are? Have you forgotten that you admitted you had not read it last time we spoke?

7. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

I think it's a great frustration for those who do not believe in myths to be surrounded by so many people that do.

It's difficult being a minority.

But one doesn't have to go to war because of it.

People are allowed to believe what they want to believe.

Sophia - and you wonder why we have real war?  lol

8. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I have not got an amazing memory.......  I do  not sit and read the bible from start to finish with no reason, if that is what you mean.  I study the bible constantly all the time.....  There may be one or two scriptures in the 66 books of the bible i have never read ..... and there are certainly lots of scriptures i have forgotten about, but i read the bible daily. 

i know you are on line all the time, and i wish you well... You are very rude though actually.

Being honest is not being rude. wink

1. Joy56 profile image67

If you are trying to make me be rude it wont happen.... I have some herbs for the tomatoes, where are they?????

Lost them all in a strong wind storm - I have given up trying to grow them where I am now.

1. Joy56 profile image67

Just been down to the shop to buy some, got tired of waiting..... Remember Fiery??????????????

2. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To tell what you think is not always being rude. Unless you are too sensitive... and insecure.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

What about the books that didn't make it into the final cut of the bible? Such as the gospel of Mary Magdalene?

This is the big reason why I hold spiritual texts with suspicion, things have been omitted, translated, miss translated and as such are suspect in my eyes big_smile
      They don't even get Yeshua Ben Yosefs' name right, a mistranslation in Greek that stuck when then being translated into English.

kirsten - I'd never heard there was a book by MM.  I might understand why some of the others were not admitted, but her's would have surely been as first hand in the telling as any.  Possibly because she was a woman. 
        I don't think the name translation is such a big deal but so many of the other names were kept in the original so why not YBY's?

I was actually pointed to the Gospel of Mary Magdalene by a hubber! Found it on amazon and read what I could on other websites, for which there are a few for those willing to search smile

As a woman I would like to read more of the female perspective of the Yeshua story smile

9. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I dont have all the answers i really dont.......  I was brought up a Jehovah's Witness.,  I am happy i have been taught to read study and ask questions.  Sometimes the more questions you ask the more you have.  I believe in Prayer, i dont think any man has the correct answers to everything.

Wait wait wait! You don't have all the answers! Not a very good Jehovah's Witness are you? wink tongue

This goes a long way to explaining why I am enjoying our conversation! wink big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

can you please explain your comments

A person who is willing to say that they don't have all the answers is actually somewhat rare. I was teasing a little there tongue
          And attributing your awareness that you don't have all the answers as to why this chat has been so pleasurable for me big_smile
          I much prefer to chat with those who have questions instead of answers smile

1. profile image48

Any good reason for that

I have always found my beliefs get more respect from people who have questions to offer instead of answers. I also find that the questions do more to challenge me and inspire spiritual growth  then being preached at by those with lots of answers smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

amen to that

2. Joy56 profile image67

I think we have struck up a friendship...... I am a J.W. i have been one for 54 years,and i am still working out what is going on.  I love the community i belong to.  As I love Hubpages.  I love that god is always there to listen to me....  I love making new friends.....

I have not, I must admit, ever met a JW before that did not preach to me and tell me what to think and believe. You are a refreshing change from what I have experienced in the past. big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

thanks so much....... I like to think i am not run of the mill

2. profile image48

A good comment.

May be she is not a JW now.

1. Joy56 profile image67

ha ha ha ha ha

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

Now that's just silly.

1. Joy56 profile image67

why is it silly

Wow, I went to another forum for about 2 minutes and came back not able to find who I responded to with that silly comment.  Lots of activity here.  It was to kirstenblog for saying she enjoyed you not having all the answers.  I was just being silly.

This gives me an idea, lets keep the silliness alive!
              Anyone feel free to call me silly, be silly or inspire silliness big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

Brilliant i love silly

Then I have a silly hymn for ya wink

O Lord, please don't burn us,
                  Don't grill us or toast your flock,
                  Don't put us on a barbecue,
                  Or simmer us in stock,
                  Don't braise us or bake or boil us,
                  Or stir-fry us in a wok.
                  Oh please don't lightly poach us,
                  Or baste us with hot fat,
                  Don't fricassee or roast us,
                  Or boil us in a vat,
                  And please don't stick thy servants, Lord,
                  In a Rotissomat.

1. Joy56 profile image67

I like it..... great prayer

10. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Guys, I have been doing my best trying to convert Mark..

He is coming along surely but slowly..

11. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

He is a sad man for sure.

12. sofs profile image78
    sofsposted 13 years ago

May the Joy and peace of Christmas Be with all here... and of course the goodwill to all mankind!! 

Lighten up folks please ...lollollollollollollol

13. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Don't you just love Sofs..... She is on my list of who i would like to meet, how about you?????

Oh she is totally fun to chat with! She knows how to keep things fun big_smile

1. sofs profile image78
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sweethearts thanks for all the sweet things you  say.. would be love to give both of you some tight hugs  (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Hohohoho !! would love to meet you Joy... missed you for quiet a while...

1. Joy56 profile image67

I know i left work as i was so stressed, and i was not up to anything at all,glad to be back, but it is almost 3p.m. I am not dressed, and have so much to do, if only i could control my forum atcivity.

1. sofs profile image78

Joy oh Joy... lollollollollollollol

1. Joy56 profile image67

well i am dressed but still here, i am going for 2o minutes to get a few jobs done, if you see me here before that ..... tell me off......  i need congratulating when i have the work done.... help

14. arb profile image78
    arbposted 13 years ago

Well, interesting assault so early in the morning. I would make effort to answer the question, but, I'm not sure if the asker is a fabrication, a myth or a lie perpetrated upon me, by some ficticious hubber who is imaginary at best. How can I be sure that he exist. Help me to beleive.

1. sofs profile image78

lollollollollollollol  LOL

that is a good one!!

15. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

debate can be very difficult, sometimes on here impossible

16. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

And here it goes again....the endless 'hate Christianity' threads.  The ridiculing of the beliefs of others continues.

You have the side who constantly berate's others for choosing to beleive, with a pompous condescending attitude of 'I know it all and I hold the only true definitions'.  Then there's the other side who are always on the defensive for their belief being attacked; who dont' start out that way, but become sucked into the vortex of the demeaning words creating another air of negativity.

It's like the ice cold arrogance of the instructor who stands with the yardstick of correction pointed waiting to ridicule one who dares to speak outside the circle.  It sets in motion a continual downward spiral that leads nowhere.  No new knowledge is gained, only constant splattering of words.

"Each puketh onto each other."
    http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/graemlins/puke.gif

17. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Last year I was invited by the Jehovah Witnesses to their Easter service.  It was different but as a clergy I was touched by their invitation.  Afterwards, we had long and in-depth discussions of the differing doctrines.  However, it was all civil.  As we all departed we did so with handshakes and smiles.  This is civility. 

I've spent months working with the Catholic faith in providing a joint event with them.  It was a first in Iowa history.  Catholics under a Latter-day Saint roof for an afternoon of singing from both choirs and a potluck dinner.  It was fabulous! 

We've proven time again that two different faiths can coexist and be civil to one another.  Yes, now when I approach a member of a different faith they know automatically who I am yet hands clasp in common friendship.  We've learned to tolerate and even work with one another for common good for all inhabitants of the area.

Now, if we can find civility why can't it be found between Christians and atheists?  Why must there be such harsh tension on a basic personal belief?  Because of your upbringing you may be apt to kiss your children on the lips.  I was not but I would never condemn something that has been a tradition of affection and belief for someone else. 

If we were truly all ready to accept the challenge to be civil and let the other person believe as they wish then these types of threads would cease and the masses of us (myself included) wouldn't be so willing to feed them.

1. brandonakelly profile image61
      brandonakellyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I actually have a comment on this reply as well, one of my great friends is homosexual AND an Atheist. I on the other hand am married and Christian, yet we get along great, even when talking about religion. It's all a matter of how seriously people take their religion and how easily they get offended. The other day I was actually reading the Bible for like the first time in... ever when I cam across a good scripture. I don't remember what chapter or verse, but it was in Proverbs, about the only book I read. It was talking about how the wise should remain silent, rather than berate someone else. In other words, if it's just going to end in conflict, it's better to not say anything offensive at all. So, although we have different beliefs, we coexist perfectly.

1. goldenpath profile image68
        goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Proverbs 10:19
        In the multitude of words (boasting) there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
        Proverbs 17:27
        He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
        Also James 1:19
        Wherefore, my beloved brethren let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

2. profile image0
      jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

goldenpath
      i can't answer for every atheist but as far as i am concerned i post only for the following reasons
      1. i am tired of answering everybody why i don't go to church, or why i don't believe, or why i am not normal and like that
      2. when terrorist plagued my country with their idiotic convictions
      3. when people are more and more  polarized based on their beliefs
      4. when science and medicine are obstructed by the so called "beliefs"
      i again say i have nothing against their personal beliefs to themselves. they can believe in any fairies as they  choose. but when they wear it on their sleeves and try to push it down my throat that is what i don't like

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually get along fine with the atheists I work with with the exception of one or two, sometimes I feel a little tension from the religious people at work. It all realy just depends on the personality.

18. brandonakelly profile image61
    brandonakellyposted 13 years ago

Let me give you an interesting fact, there have been many scientists who have tried to disprove the Bible and failed on many occasions. In fact, one Atheist Scientist did everything he could to disprove every thing he found, but in the end he ended up believing everything and in fact became a Christian himself. But while we're on Atheists, what are they exactly? In my opinion, they're just people who pretend to not believe in something that they believe doesn't exist. Why would there be any point in calling yourself an Atheist if there really is no God, there would be no point. If you claim that you are an Atheist, your basically admitting that there is a God, however you're just choosing to go against the grain.. Christianity isn't a lie, try to disprove it and let everyone know what you find bro.

That still leaves much to be desired, because Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, and Flying Spaghetti Monster cannot be disproven.

But, then, they are all absurd.

2. Stump Parrish profile image60

I am pretending NOT to believe in something that I believe doesn't exist vs pretending to believe in something that you are pretending does exist.

If I go to a Star Trek convention dressed as a Klingon, am I pretending to believ,e or not believe, that I believe, or don't believe, Klingons exist?

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60

brandonakelly, Very interesting post. God bless you!

19. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i can help with Greek translation

Wont help Greek One, proving that there are numerous errors in every translation of the bible, simply proves that the bible is infallible. Just ask any high school drop out in the south. They know more than you could ever hope to learn about a subject you spend your life studying.

1. profile image0

i am not ridiculing any beliefs. i am trying to point out that no belief is based on any reality. people say they have read bible but who wrote it in the first place? there is no evidence that Jesus nor his disciples ever lived. still people are trying to push down their beliefs on everybody and obstruct science. now calling oneself atheist- is their any better term? every atheist will be happy to use the term till a better term is available.
        DON'T GET ME WRONG. I AM NOT AGAINST ANYBODY. my friends and family are all believers. my mother goes to church every day. but i find it funny when they question me why i don't believe in their "imaginary beings". i am also a little angry for teaching me all this "infallible" stuff as absolute truths not to be questioned , though.
        nobody has seen god
        there are so many religions with so many different gods
        there are so many religious books by so many authors(ancient books the true authors are not the purported ones-yes including bible) each claiming infallibility
        but still there is NO RATIONALE explanations for the existence of god, all people are doing is just believing the believes handed over to them by some authority figures and present to others as absolute truths
        so all are just ideas or opinions only and i am against that IDEAS only, for it is this type of ideas that made terrorist attacks and all possible.
        for people who say i haven't read bible i have read it and always was the first in catechism classes. but i have also read bhagavad gita some quran and also some history. i don't claim to be an absolute authority so i welcome all rationale criticisms but don't care at all about any emotionally charged ones without any meaning in it.
        you ask then why this question the real question is the second part in case you didn't notice but if i simply asked that, will anybody bother to answer?

20. pilesnoway profile image60
    pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

TO ALL:

Just stoop by to make a stand. It is not about religion. It is about belief. It is about how you hold on to that belief. It is about faith.

I do not know what you believe in. But I think It could be that we believe in the same Creator only with different names. To say, it is not our religion that can save us. It is our faith to HIM.

And for atheists, I know that they too believe in something--even they think it does not exist for they can't see it. If not then I just would like to live short questions (more of a parable).

Do you believe in God?
    If you answer no, because you can't see him, let me ask you a different question: Do you believe that there is air? You can't see the element but you do believe that it exists. Now, who do you think created you?

Much has been said. I don't know if how do you find my attempt in posting a good post here. I hope it helped!

Thanks and God Bless!

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tell you what - try inflating your tyres with God.

1. pilesnoway profile image60
        pilesnowayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol. I found the word "inflating" in two different context. But anyway, have to believe in what I believe and has been believing and let see when the time comes.smile

2. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some people do it every day, Paraglider,wondering," why my car is not moving?"

2. profile image0

well we may not see air but we can feel it. right?
      about the question who created you? you forgot you have parents?
      if you are asking much further things. try to study evolution..
      or even further like who created the universe
      "matter can neither be created nor destroyed" so the matter that make up the universe is eternal that is it has no beginning nor end. where is the question of creation then?

Then have you ever wondered why EVOLUTION continues to be a THEORY? just a THEORY? No more, no less than a THEORY?

And do you believe that you came from APES or animals of the same kind?

If the Universe is not created by somebody who is more powerful, then who created it? nanoparticles, matters, elements, living cells, planktons etc. Then who created these things? How could they have existed and continue to exist?

I'm not pushing anyone with what I believe. But here's the supposed-to-be logic of what I had posted:

Can you see air? No, but you can feel it!
        Same as with God. No one can see HIM. But you can feel his presence. People just don't recognize it.

That's not a logical conclusion.  And if we were never indoctrinated the way we were, you could see the many flaws in your logic. 

You are essentially saying what many have erroneously concluded:  If we can't explain it then Goddunnit.

I could conclude that since I can't explain the beginning, then, turtles must be responsible for creation, and it would make just as much sense.

And no matter how much we want to put ourselves above primates, it appears that we were wrong.

Humans are not descended from apes, they are apes.  We need to get over this arrogant delusion.

Well, we must have a misunderstanding here.

I have not concluded anything yet.You are assuming...wink

I think there is no wrong in believing to something. What is wrong is believing in something and pushing others that you are right and this is what they should believe in. Mere opinions count. But at the end of the day, anybody can decide what to believe.

Sorry.
              But the way you attacked evolution, and then pleaded that there must be a creator, it just appeared you were advocating creation and a belief in God being that creator.

So I take it that you are gonna remain open-minded on this, and let the research and evidence decide, right? smile

So first, let's examine your evidence for your God, then we'll do evolution, then we can draw an open-minded, intelligent, but tentative conclusion.

But please don't use the "Air" analogy.  That's been debunked so many times, it's become absurd and laughable.

Good!

2. profile image0

pilesnoway
          "If the Universe is not created by somebody who is more powerful, then who created it?"
          i said universe is not created by anybody, by universe i mean the matter. it is eternal. there is no need for anybody to create it. as you say if i agree that everything has to be created then who created god?

"Can you see air? No, but you can feel it!
          Same as with God. No one can see HIM. But you can feel his presence. People just don't recognize it."
          we feel air with our touch sensation. EVERYBODY can feel and RECOGNIZE it. what about your god??

21. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

For those who really want to try and answer some questions on religion, then I would suggest to read this thesis by a woman named H.P Blavatsky published in the late 1800's.

It gives a disection of most religions and relates to the exoteric texts that the general population follows and the esoteric fundamnetals taken from all religions.

And this is why I don't take the time to get involved in heated religious debates.

What you think you know is a fraction of what there is to know?

www.sacred-texts.com/the/sd/index.htm

dont take it to literally though, its just a thesis, not law.

22. profile image53
    NY-Injury-Lawyerposted 13 years ago

The Bible has been edited more than 100 times by church to suit the then ruler.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)