A Question About Titles

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

But not such a serious question it should go in the help section.  Although if someone has any idea then it would be interesting.

Sometimes it seems as if every topic under the sun has been covered multiple times.  But you just need to get the right keywords into your title so your page appears in response to the right search.

So in a six word title - how many possible combinations of words are there.  I mean ALL words from the dictionary - which is I guess about 100,000 more or less.

My guess is some very big number which means there are still titles out there to be written.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup there still are titles to be written. No doubt about that, but as they say, no one is going to search them. Interesting post anyway.

Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, that's kind of important I guess.  I'm really just trying to understand what the heck I'm trying to do here.  I thought "write it and they will come" - but that may not be the way.

2. Jule Romans profile image95
      Jule Romansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That brings to mind a few other questions, too--

What IS an ideal title length?

Does it matter if the title is  somewhat awkward? How many people READ the title anyway?

As new indexing strategies are developed, will the importance of titles go down or up?

1. radiokoala profile image40
        radiokoalaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your question is easy to answer. The ideal title length is up to 60 symbols because Google (as well as Hubpages) cuts the rest, replacing it with ellipsis.

The title should be appealing, and content should keep with it. Otherwise, people will feel cheated, and traffic rising won't have any sense. Remember you may edit title anytime to check out if a particular strategy works.

2. ImChemist profile image57
        ImChemistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

D'ont forget to add your long tail keyword in the title.

3. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why only six words? Branch out a bit, and try some longer ones!

4. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but "Brachiating Sauropods of Prehistoric South America" is MINE, Mark, so don't try using it!

Great title, great search term.  Anyone who types that in without a typo deserves to find it.

5. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What i normally do is type what i what to write about in google search box, and see what terms google suggest. Normally when you start typing a word in google search box they begin suggesting a term. Research it with keyword tool and see the pattern

Thanks ssaul.  So far I have thought of titles and just typed them in search to see what was about, how I might usefully rephrase them.  No proper keyword research at all.

I am beginning to suspect this is foolish but am not sure about changing this method yet.

This is because I have been advised on here to 'let the hubs age'  and I understand that in six months time I will be receiving 100,000 hits per day through orgasmic traffic.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Six word title, 100,000 possibilities for each word = 6^100,000 power.  Yes, a rather large number.

6^25=28,430,288,029,929,701,376, just keep multiplying by 6 99,975 more times.  Perhaps a title for each atom in the galaxy?  Or the universe?

I would post the actual number, but even using scientific notation my computer won't tell me.  It's too big.  The best I can find is about 2.0e+42798, or 6^55,000. I suspect that the computer is limited to an exponent of 65536, or 2^16 in it's notation.

Thanks wilderness - I figured there must be at least one mathemetician out there.

So a lot basically.

2. melpor profile image91
      melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This will become a much smaller number when you take into consideration that the title must make sense and be relevant to what you are trying to write about. There are a lot of combinations anyone can make with six words but the title got to make sense.

3. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

Mark, you are right there are a lot of titles on the same subject. The key here is to find a niche that too any hubbers are not writing about and do a keyword search on it before writing about it. If you are going to write about a subject that someone already written about you must come up with a catchy title to grab their attention away from the others if it ranks high in google and other search engines out there. Just don't make the title too long because the search engine does not see all of it and don't make it too short because then the title will be too broad. In the end the critical factors here are good choice of keywords and quality writing with a relevant title.

Thanks melpor - it sounds easy...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)