Should a 14 yr old be arrested as an adult sex offender?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

In recent news as I was scouting for more videos for my upcoming, "Dangers of Youtube" hub, I found another one that caught my eye. Although this incident happened on myspace and NOT youtube, i figured I'll use it anyway.  After all, if it happened on myspace, then you know it's bound to happen on youtube too.  You see a 14 yr old girl was caught posting nude photos of herself on myspace because she wanted to impress her boyfriend.  Well somebody reported it, and now she's being tried as a registered sex offender for showing off her naked body on the internet.  Granted, what she did was very stupid, and she certainly deserves to be punished for what she did.  However, prosecuting her as a sex offender does seem a bit harsh if you ask me.  anyways, here's the video for full details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTu7y5De3Cc

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?  punishment fit the crime?  Too harsh?  Not enough?  Or if she was your daughter, then what would you do to her to make sure she never did this again or say to her at least?

1. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who is the victim? Who is the perpetrator? She is being prosecuted for a crime against herself!  Its absurd!

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

exactly! it's outragious if you ask me.

2. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why you think she deserves to be punished!
      She's done nothing to harm anybody else, but has done herself considerable harm.
      Why would any right minded person seek to increase that harm?

1. profile image0

roll fine, are you saying YOU would let your child expose themselves like that shamelessly over the internet?  Knowing full well that any psychopath and/or pedophile could see such photos?  I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't want my daughter exposing herself over the internet like that if I had one.  Believe it or not, not everyone on myspace is friendly, as pedophiles do exist and use social networking sites to scout for their victims quite frequently.  and those nude photos, lets just say all it does is draw a lot of unwanted attention.  granted, it's her body, but she shouldn't be allowed to flaunt her body shamelessly like that as a child.  Once she turns 18, then she's free to do whatever she wants, as she'll be an adult then.  However, it's the parents responsibility to make sure the child knows how dangerous doing a stunt like that is.

1. John Holden profile image61

But punishing the child isn't going to stop any of that happening!
          You're damn right that I wouldn't want my daughter doing such a thing but if she did I'd be asking myself where I'd failed, not punishing her as an adult sex offender.
          Again, who does benefit from punishing her?

1. profile image0

John, who said anything about me wanting to punish her as an adult sex offender?  Seriously, did you not read any of my posts?  Or are you just shamelessly trying to take things I said out of contexts, so you can make me look bad on purpose in forums?  If you actually read what I said, I said that prosecuting this girl as a sex offender was too harsh and a bit extreme.  In fact, here's exactly what I said:

Granted, what she did was very stupid, and she certainly deserves to be punished for what she did.  However, prosecuting her as a sex offender does seem a bit harsh if you ask me.

Please, if you're going to quote me, then don't take what I say out of context, as it's kind of insulting.  Another thing is you don't even know what I was referring to by punishment.  If you must know specifically what I meant by that, then I'll gladly tell you.  One, I would have a long talk with her about what she did, and why it was wrong to begin with.  then i take away her web cam and pc.  grounding her for about a few months from hanging out with her friends, using her phone and whatnot.  then i'd move the pc into the kitchen or somewhere where i can keep an eye on her whenever she's online.  once that happens, she'll be able to use the internet again, but only during the times im home, so i know she won't try anything.  however, she'll never get the web cam back.  does that answer your question about what i meant about punishment?  or are you going to twist my words again like a jerk?

eta:  besides, legally speaking if they do charge her for anything, they should only charge her for indecent exposure as a minor if anything.

The problem is that you spoke about punishment in the context of the legal system and I read it in that way!
              At no point did you mention parental control or punishment!
              Rather than taking things out of the context in which they were written, I was taking them in context!
              If that makes me a jerk, then so be it!

1. profile image0

Well then John it occurs to me that you obviously don't know how to read.  What a shock.  Do me a favor, go back and reread the op until you understand it, then get back to me, as you're ignorance is starting to wane on my nerves.

Cop out, you don't know how to write but that's no problem, just pass the buck and blame those who don't read into your posts things that aren't there.
                  I have read your OP and still can't see any mention of parental control in it!
                  Seems like you have a big problem with other people disagreeing with you, even when it turns out, after you've made your meaning clear, that they aren't. Couldn't possibly be ignorance on your part could it?

1. profile image0

John, look I have no issues with you, so why are you trying to insinuate things with me?  seriously?  As for parental issues, you're right. in the op, there was no mention of those issues. As I originally meant the only charge she should face, at worst, is for indecent exposure as a minor, in the op.  the other stuff I said I'd do as a parent is just stuff that I would as a parent.  get the picture?  anyways, I'm sorry for not making that clearer. however, I still don't understand, how you could've misinterpreted my posts into thinking that I want this girl to be tried as a sex offender when I clearly said I thought it was extreme.  hell, i even copied and pasted my exact words in the op, and you still don't get it?  seriously, what the hell is your problem?

hell, i'll copy and past them for you AGAIN, so you can reread it:

"Granted, what she did was very stupid, and she certainly deserves to be punished for what she did.  However, prosecuting her as a sex offender does seem a bit harsh if you ask me."

Do you understand now?  thus, I NEVER said she should be tried as a sex offender.  Therefore, I would appreciate it if you stopped insinuating that i did say that.

3. profile image0

Since I'm having to repeat myself.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

To treat her as an adult and make her a sex offender is absurd. It's a stupid incident and she should be prosecuted as a minor, not as an adult and the charge should be indecent exposure in public.

The "sex" crimes are too broad. It's so absurd that if anyone is caught outside going to the bathroom(because they couldn't hold it), is and can be arrested for a "sex" related crime.

It's a prime example of too much government power over people's life.

1. profile image0

I agree.  I don't know why they're trying her as a sex offender.  I mean she's 14 for Pete's sakes.  I can understand if she was getting charged with indecent exposure, as you said, but this is just ridiculous.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Steven, see if you can find the story about the 8 year old in California who was tried as an adult for killing his family.

At least I think the kid was 8 years old. And, I'm pretty sure it was in California. hmm

1. profile image0

Oh okay. i'll try to find it then.  just give me a few minutes.  why do you ask though?

He was 8 years old and tried as an adult?

1. profile image0

okay. not sure what that has to do with this topic, but i found a few videos about a 8 yr old be accused of murder, and a 12 yr old accused of murder as an adult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmq54Tr … 8F667F7C74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpzaM00 … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZepOHV … ure=relmfu

Not sure if any of these cases are the ones your referring to, as they all don't take place in california, but you're more than welcome to watch them if you like.

edit:  here's another video i found about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0p2MXn2 … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1DWo5rW … re=related

My reference was about putting kids on trial as adults. That is how it is related to your topic. But, thank you for the links. wink

1. profile image0

Oh okay. i gotcha.  your welcome about the links.  wow, i can't believe a kid would shoot his own father. that's just crazy.

On one hand, I guess the father asked for it and on another it just goes to show the capability of children, if failed by parents.

Before you jump the gun- the father was obviously irresponsible with the gun and bullets to begin with- because had he, then the gun and the bullets would have been in two separate locations or at least in a locked safe the kid wouldn't be able to access.

Secondly, it is the failure of the parents to realize that their child wasn't normal to begin with. Only a really sociopath/psychopath would even do what that kid did. How could parents overlook the behavior? It isn't something that just comes on overnight? yikes

However, sorry to get off topic with this post. Society is becoming inherently more dangerous as the days continue to come and go. hmm

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

3. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

The question is whom did she offend other than herself? Kids do stupid things. That one was stupid. I did stupid things as a child too. Once I decided to go away, to leave my house. I took my doll and left. My parents found me on outskirts of our town (rather small at that time). I think my mom was close to having a heart attack, I hardly remember why I did it but remember the fact itself. I was 2,5 years old!!! There were others. Times are different now, kids are bored, they do strange things.

Hey Homegirl, I would chalk this one incident up to the curious nature kids go through with their sexual nature. Personally, I would think it was innocent and turned into something, just for the purpose of a demonstration of power and control.

It could have been handled much better than putting the girl on trial as an adult sex offender.

Just my thoughts on it. hmm

2. profile image0

your right.  kids do stupid things all the time. however, i don't see why a kid under 18 should be tried as adult for this, as this is just ridiculous if you ask me.  granted, she deserves to be punished for doing something this irresponsible, but this is just too harsh.

4. David 470 profile image82
    David 470posted 13 years ago

1. TLMinut profile image60
      TLMinutposted 13 years ago

I often wonder why kids are tried as adults at all. Isn't the whole reason there is a legal distinction made because children are NOT adults and don't have the judgment and impulse control of an adult? If we're not going to try them as minors, there should be no distinction.

Besides, it seems the distinction should be made in the sentencing, not in the trial. Though motive and foresight come into the definition of some crimes, don't know quite how to handle that. The crime was committed or not, how does that differ by age?

1. profile image0

hmm...you do bring up a lot of valid points there.  to be honest, I'm not sure how to answer your query.  However, it is an interesting analysis there.

I think severity and public outrage sways political opinion, which is then applied to state or local governments. However, if state/local government isn't going to proceed, as harsh as federal authorities prefer, then federal authorities will most certainly look for a loophole in the Laws so as to trial the case themselves. hmm

1. profile image0

Yeah, that's true.  However, what's the point in having distinct legal terms between minors and adults if we're just going to prosecute a child as an adult anyway based on the crime they commit?

I think what you are missing Steven is difference of circumstance. wink

2. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Easy there, lads - misinterpretation of the written word is very common, as we have no visual clues or body language to go by. You are both nice blokes with interesting things to say - it seems a shame to fall out over a simple misunderstanding.

Grab a beer and chill - it's Friday night! smile

1. profile image0

Yeah, you're right.  It's too beautiful of a day outside to be upset over one little disagreement.  Thanks surfdreamer for being the voice of reason here.

OK, can we close this one out by being in 100% agreement on this point lol

1. profile image0

okay, works for me.  lol

3. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

And then there was calm. All's well that ends well.Well done Sufi and well done you two for making up so quickly. ( I was wondering how this would end.)

4. seanorjohn profile image71

Oh dear, spoke too soon. Now someone else has jumped in for an argument.

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sean!  smile

Hey Steven, come for a dip in the ocean -- it'll cool you down!  smile

and I think that everyone else should join in too!  smile

ciao!

Oh, oh, Surfi's here!  All is smoothed again!  smile

lol  smile

1. profile image0

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!  I think we can all agree on that note. big_smile lol

1. seanorjohn profile image71
            seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great idea Beth.
            Well done Sufi.

Steven you have nothing to apologise for. Your heart is in the right place. You feel things passionately and that is to be commended not condemned.

I suspect that you are such a fast typist that it is not that surprising that you leave out one word (Parental).

5. profile image0

sheesh, was the op that hard to understand?  hmm

6. seanorjohn profile image71

steven, I instinctively knew you meant parental punishment/ chastisement. But that's coz I'm a mind reader. If someone had just asked what you mean't by punishment or you had used the phrase parental punishment, then all this furore would not have happened. I say bring back Sufi to referee.

1. profile image0

Yes, i understand that now.  however, in my op, i know i clearly stated that prosecuting this girl as a sex offender was harsh, so I don't understand why people are saying that I'm for her to be tried as one.  even though i clearly stated otherwise.  it's just frustrating if you ask me. i apologize you saw me lose my temper a bit though.

7. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

I got your meaning, Steven, but I can also see how it was misinterpreted. It happens, sometimes smile

Let's just say that the argument that should never have happened was Obama's fault, and then we can get back to drinking beer.

It's Greek Independence Day - A good excuse for revelry smile

1. profile image0

lol I guess you're right.  Besides, life is too short anyway to be bitter about petty stuff like this. lol

8. profile image0

Look guys, lets start over from here.  I think we're all in agreement that this girl getting charged as a sexual predator is extreme, right? 

Why don't we all just agree on that, and call it a day.

9. gogetter4u profile image59
      gogetter4uposted 13 years ago

No, not a 14 year old..should not be arrested and tried as an adult. There has to be another way.

also...

they're writing a story on forums books & lit & writing...it's funny & people r adding 2 it 2c how far its goes. go to lets write a story..tell us what's next in the story...this is a good way to get known... have fun..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)