Can anyone recommend a good product for clogged drains?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    CollBposted 13 years ago

I've had this drainage problem for a while now and calling out a plumber is really expensive.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Go to your local hardware store and ask for a product like Draino.

1. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks heaps for this suggestion - I've asked and got caustic soda which is really bad for the environment when used down drains, hence why I wanted alternative solutions.

3. outlawsphinx profile image60
    outlawsphinxposted 13 years ago

Pour 1/4 cup baking soda down the drain. Follow with one cup vinegar. (remember the volcano experiments we used to do at school??..same idea) It should unclog your drain.
    To keep them from clogging, pour 1/4 cup baking soda down the drain weekly and follow with hot water.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my gosh you beat me to this reply...exactly what I was going to say.  Works every time! 

Make sure that you pour the baking soda down and then the vinegar and then QUICKLY (sorry..not yelling but important) plug the drain with something so the volcanic explosion takes place inside.  I usually leave it for a bit and then dump super hot water down there after.  Such a great home remedy!

1. outlawsphinx profile image60
        outlawsphinxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Omg..I forgot to write about covering the drain. Lol, I learned that the hard way my first time so you'd think I'd remember. Doh.

2. profile image0

You're a star, thanks so very much for this additional tip - really appreciated and am grateful for Hubpages - truly am as I've spend a fortune on bleach, disinfectants, caustic soda which I'm told isn't good for the environment when put down drains...hence truly grateful for your and the others' suggestions.  Thanks a million to you all, cheers!

2. profile image0

Thanks so very very much for this solution and I'll try it and let you know the outcome as I've been using caustic soda but was told it's not good for the environment.  Really appreciate this suggestion as it's costly getting the plumber to fix it...really appreciate Hubpages, cheers!

3. profile image0

Yeh, I remember the volcanic 'eruptions' I did in my Chemistry class but I don't remember exactly what solutions we used...I think it was sodium hydroxide NaOH, plus H2O, but just vaguely  remember it.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"baking soda down and then the vinegar". That may work. I have had success with bleach.

1. profile image0

I've tried bleach and it works to keep the water still in the pipes 'clean' but I'll have to try the baking soda and vinegar solution, thanks for this tip and credit also to outlawsphinx.  Thanks both of you!

5. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Caustic Soda should not be taken Internally!

I would have thought that a large dose of Prunes or Prue Juice would Blow your Pipes out a lot better than some of the suggestions that you've had so far. hmm

1. profile image0

Ah, caustic soda is definitely not for drinking at all.

It's normally used for unblocking drains but not recommended as it is not environmentally friendly.

My internal pipes are fine but thanks for the suggestion - I'll bare in mind prune juice for unblocking internal pipes...smile

6. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I am replying to this subject not because I have found the answer but because I too have the same problem and have tried plunger, bicarb of soda plus vinegar, metal coat hanger, boiling water, salt, Mr Muscle and finally caustic soda and now have a bathroom sink drainpipe full of a mixture of all those chemicals and liquids. There is no trap or u-bend so that cannot be looked into. It is a pedestal sink with a straight pipe going down inside the pedestal and into the floor.

7. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Step 1 Get a wife
    Step 2 Get a plunger
    Step 3 Mix

1. profile image0

Hi Bard of Ely, I've virtually used all the products you've mentioned and now just managed to try the baking soda and vinegar solution which looks more promising than the products I've used.  I'll know in a week or two's time.  Yes I know the feeling.  I don't know the ins and outs of the plumbing system in the bathroom but whatever the system is, it's really not functioning properly.

Hi Greek One, that was such a funny reply I'm still laughing - Perhaps Bard of Ely already has all that you've mentioned - maybe it's the plumbing that isn't right haha.

8. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

I'll recommend what my husband has used for years to unclog our drains.  It's called a drain snake--you can find hubs about them or check your local hardware or department stores. There are different kinds, but he uses the type that you turn the crank to ease it down the pipe, then it catches on the blockage.  Then you crank it the other way, and out comes the problem! big_smile

It's all he's ever used, and it works every time! smile

Edit:  Sufidreamer has a hub that includes this product, also called an auger... http://hubpages.com/hub/Home-Improvemen … ked-Drains

1. profile image0

Thank you so much for this suggestion TamCor, I'm still going to use the baking soda and vinegar solution though but I'll look into the drain snake - sounds excellent.  Never heard of that before!

Hubpages is so brilliant in bringing together experts in all fields! smile

2. profile image0

Additional thanks to TamCor for recommending Sufidreamer's hub on blocked drains - really useful information provided.  I didn't recall seeing that hub (he's one of the hubbers I follow!) as I try to read as many of the hubs as possible as really useful info given by hubbers on Hubpages!

Thanks again TamCor!  Your info and link much appreciated.

9. Hugh Williamson profile image75
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

I cured a stubborn clog with a product called "One-Second Drain Opener." It's compressed air (or gas?) and blasts a sudden pressure into the drain. Be sure to plug the overflow or it'll just vent there instead of blasting the pressure down the drain.

Good luck.

1. profile image0

Thank you so much for this suggestion.  I'll try any suggestions as I've had this drainage problem for a while and I keep having to use the plunger plus disinfectant and bleach.  The other suggestions are definitely worth a try too as the baking soda and vinegar looks like it's working a treat! smile

10. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 13 years ago

I use a good old fashioned drain snake, which is just a long metal hose with a hook on the end. This is what a plumber will use. some clogs are so bad that no product will break it and you need  a snake to push/pull it loose.

1. profile image0

Hi Peter!  Thanks for this suggestion, yes a drain snake was previously mentioned and now that I have some further details I'll give that a try - I also like the idea about the one second drain opener - that seems practical too!  Cheers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)