Is Wal-Mart good for America?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (117 posts)
  1. WorldCup~2010 profile image59
    WorldCup~2010posted 13 years ago

We are talking about Wal-Mart at school right now and there are two sides to this story. The bad side is how Wal-Mart is moving all of their manufacturing jobs over seas which ends up having a negative effect here in America. But also, Americans are getting rock bottom prices on most goods Wal-Mart sells.

1. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe according to Karl Marx, small businesses will be wiped out, and there will only be larger businesses left. (About 3 major retailers)

The reason for this is because businesses want to pay the least amount of money to employees in order to ensure that they make a profit. If there is to much competition, they try to wipe out other businesses in order to have the flexibility to offer less pay to their employees. (They want to expand their businesses)

Basically, if people don't have anyone where else to go, they may be forced to go to a business that pays them less just because there is no where else to turn.

Wal-Mart wiped out ames ..

1. DannyMaio profile image60
        DannyMaioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Home depot was even cheaper when they started until they knocked out all the Mom and Pop hardware stores. the real problem is the Government keeps taxing these companies so much that they can not make it! except Like GE the company that supported Obama they made 14.5B and did not pay any tax!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People/masses prefer cheaper goods (low quality) because they have little options based on their wages. Wal-Mart is a business - always profit oriented. Even if Wal-Mart will go bankrupt (I doubt it), another store chain will replace it, different name same mechanisms.

3. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are outsourcing unfortunately because taxes are less then in the U.S. but is Wal-Mart good for our Country? Depends on what you are purchasing.

1. rhamson profile image72
        rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately someone has misled you to believe lower taxes is why the major chain stores go to China.  It is the amount of wages they are willing to pay to the manufacturers employees here in the US is why.

The funny thing is that as shortsighted as this ponzi scheme is, the ones greatly affected by it are the customers who are saving their way out of the jobs that give them the money to buy their reasonably priced products in the first place. 

Why doesn't the government do anything about it?  Three guesses and the first two don't count.  Big Business has it all sewed up.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right, right, right.
          Now let's hear the arguments why you're wrong and it's really good for the economy.
          I won't hold my breath.

4. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Wal Mary is good for America! It provides hundreds of thousands of jobs health benefits etc it keeps the costs of goods down it even has prescriptions for 4 dollars!

But how much are those jobs costing you in taxes paid to make up their wages and in lost taxation because they don't get paid enough to pay tax?

Again, you bang on about the "entitlement" class but you are no better, you want others to subsidize your life style.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This would not be a blame on Wal-Mart, but would be blamed on the State and/or Federal governments. The policies dictated by State and/or Federal government is mostly the problem. Not to mention, there are plenty of people who think "minimum wage" is what it is not.

Please check each State for their own individual minimum wage rate, and see how it is applied. Federal minimum wage is higher than most states. There are only some states that conform to the Federal minimum wage pay scale.

People think that since Federal minimum wage goes up, then state minimum wage is going to go up, but states have no reason to raise their minimum wage, just be Federal minimum wage goes up. It's Federal minimum wage and applies to Federal employees, not State employees or the average worker.
          Government subsidizes everything, to create it's "entitlements". Any program offered to citizens through government is in fact subsidized. The government doesn't make money or profit. If it had, then there wouldn't be a massive debt, created by every country that operates.

The simple fact that government gives out "entitlements" at all, is and has, a devastating effect on the money supply of the nation and makes people dependent on the wrong thing, instead of them being dependent upon self.

Just my thoughts on it John.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Walmart may provide jobs, but in our area these jobs don't pay well enough to make a living. My son worked for Walmart for years. Here in Michigan they were sued because they fired everyone that made more than $9.00 an hour. Now they are being sued by a million women that have banned together because they aren't paying women the same pay for the same job as men.

I think anyone that thinks Walmart is a good job, just needs to talk to a Walmart employee.

The employees in their distribution centers are paid well, but the stores at least in this area aren't. I know retail isn't a good business for any employee, but Walmart tries to pull whatever they can get away with.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I think anyone that thinks Walmart is a good job, just needs to talk to a Walmart employee."

... and yet... they keep working there....

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

Because they live in Michigan where jobs are very hard to find. It must be you live in a state with much better employment.

So, what you seem to be saying is that the people are made better off by working there, as opposed to NOT working there and starving?

... sounds like Wal-mart is doing good!

Evan, are you really sure you're an anarchist?

What a dumb question.

1) why does anarchy have anything to do with wal-mart (besides the fact that a free-market would let wal-mart exist)

2) why are you asking a question that you know the answer to.

Anarchy
                  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anarchy

The absence of a ruling governing body - the state.

No, the absence of any ruling governing body the state and big business.

5. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My father uses Wal-Mart for most things except electrical goods such as telephone accessories.  It seems to be the place he gets all his groceries and clothes so maybe it is good for shoppers in the US.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Extremes are never good. The marketplace will always gravitate towards the extreme. As applies to this scenario, another word for “extreme” is “monopoly”. Governments know monopolies are not a good thing. As long as corruption does not enter into the mix, governments will prevent monopolies from happening.

how by putting the CEO of GE on the board that decides the tax code? That is why they did not have to pay any out of 14.5B

3. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Wal Mart is the last resort when I'm shopping for anything!  It's the downfall of small privately owned businesses in America.

1. gitrdun4444 profile image59
      gitrdun4444posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I very much agree!

4. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Wal-Mart is a "convenience" for the customers, but not good for America.

Wal-Mart is a place for customers to find products at lower prices, normally and a one-stop for shopping convenience.

Wal-Mart is bad for America in that it destroys other small businesses around it. Wages are too low to make a living and the jobs created overseas.

Small businesses will no longer exsist. It's really sad! I agree with you.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately, the entire system is riddled with corruption, starting with the politicians themselves.

Wal-Mart has good prices on many things and I shop there. I know, I'll get flack for it, because of the atrocities Wal-Mart has had on America's Economy and jobs, but when you're on a limited budget and can only spend so much, Wal-Mart makes for a great place to shop.

I understand the issues and as Paradigmsearch has pointed a monopoly isn't something to government is going to allow. Hence, why it has a Law in place against Monopolies being created.

Instead, the government allows certain companies to have a monopoly in smaller areas. Example: My cable company has a contract with the city I live in, to be the only provider. There isn't a second company for competition. If I want cable, then I am forced to buy from them.

Their overall market share is watched. wink

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

They have ties to the Koch brothers who are trying to take over America and are doing a pretty good job of it. Google ALEC, 'Koch brothers and Walmart'. http://becauseican-2old2care.blogspot.c … -koch.html

Walmart tries to be so family oriented, but the profits go into the pockets of the big boys who can now buy legislation and fund campaigns. Ask a Walmart cashier how much she/he makes. Many employees receive government assistance. (yes, your taxes)

pt. 1 of the documentary, Walmart; The High Cost of Low Price http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6AgKG-f4Tw   
    [it's worth watching the entire 10 segments!]

7. HubGirl03 profile image59
    HubGirl03posted 13 years ago

We had this topic brought up in a local newspaper a couple of weeks ago and the article was about how our "downtown" main street has meters so we have to pay to park on main street to shop at the mom and pop shops, but if we go to walmart, it's free parking and lower prices......so I think that our down town should designate a time (maybe once a month or so) when the city should let us park for free to shop (or maybe Monday from 3pm to 6pm) to bring out the shoppers and give them a chance to browse and shop without sticking money in the meter.....should I be writing this to my local newspaper LOL!

8. DonDWest profile image70
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

Verdict: Bad.

Have you tried getting decent quality shows at a modest price? You can't. Either you get cheap shoes that go bad within a month or 100 dollar plus expensive designer shoes. Wal-Mart has turned retail into a two-tier system and long term this has transformed the entire economy into a two-tier system as well.

9. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 13 years ago

Cags, you have a much better understanding of how the minimum wage works in the US. I can only relate to the (much higher) minimum wage in the UK.

I think you misunderstood my second point. Lady Love is no better than the entitlement class she so roundly condemns because she expects them to subsidize her life style. Not government subsides but subsides from those less able to afford them than she is.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I don't expect anything from anybody and I certainly don't need or want anything from my government except that which it was created for in the first place,  to keep me free. I'll negoiate my own pay I don't need an artificial floor established by the government which most businesses exceed anyway at least in times of prosperity.

But you expect people to work for low wages so that you can make your money go further, nothing to do with government.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Actually John, it was you who missed Lady Love's point to begin with. And, as she has confirmed in her previous post, the actual onus falls on the individual.

By all accounts, "minimum wage" in America shouldn't actually exist, but it does so, because the average person isn't responsible for their entire life and lack understanding their own life, so much so, that they haven't a clue on how things truly work in a capitalism type society.

Our schools are really educating students, but transforming them into follow the leader type groups.

In my local area, there are more police in schools than ever before in my life- this is a sign that things are certainly getting worse and not better.

It's ridiculous.

1. canadawest99 profile image61
        canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everytime you shop at wal-mart, you are contributing to putting yourself out of a home grown job.

Do a survey in front of your nearest wal-mart and ask people if they would pay 10% more knowing the products are made in America and creating local employment.  The answers will surprise I bet.

Actually, you would correct in the thinking that people would pay an extra 10% more for something made in America.

However, many American already know that manufacturing in America has been on the decline for years and anyone who perpetuates that America produces anything of any quality, with regards to consumer goods/products or even services, is a liar.

The problems with the services sector leaves a bad taste in the consumer's mouth, as does the products/goods offered in most stores in America's marketplace.

Unfortunately, you can place blame on anything you choose, but it doesn't make it right or true.

2. DannyMaio profile image60

your probably right but not much is made here anymore! I always try to buy American even though it is more expensive but a lot of things just are not made here anymore. it is cheaper for companies to move and make profits.

2. John Holden profile image60

OK, the onus should fall on he individual but does the system allow that. Business will all ways pay the minimum amount they can get away with. I don't care if that's five or 500 an hour, it's still the minimum.

It is invidious to blame the average person for a situation over which they have no control.

Business will always use cheaper wages either for employees or business dealings, because they are protecting their bottomline. Business is all about making profits. The individual, should be on that same page, with regards to themselves.
          So, you don't have control of what you earn? Not true.

So you're saying that if I go out tomorrow for a job digging holes in the road I will be able to demand the wage that I want, and get it.

I don't think so.

Of course you wouldn't, because you would be taking the wrong tactic to do so, but you didn't think of that.

Jobs?

Self-employment?

Jobs- wages are dictated

Self-employment- wages are set.

2. profile image60
              logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, but you can put yourself in a position for a better job if you have any ambition.
              One thing some people do not consider is that there are millions of low income people that depend on the low prices at Wal-Mart to get by.  They are able to afford more for less of their income.  No one is forced to buy at Wal-Mart.  If the majority really have a problem with the company, then they would be out of business already, as no one would go there.  Instead, they are one of if not the largest retailer in the world.  Speaks volumes on what the majority think of them.

But what of all the people who work for WalMart, or don't they count?

You know you need more than ambition to get ahead, you need some intelligence and most of all you need opportunity. Sadly these aren't dished out equally.

And of curse if all those WalMart workers got ambition and bettered themselves then where would WalMart be? They'd have to up their prices and no longer be as competitive.

As I said, invidious, put people into a poverty trap and then blame them for being there.

1. profile image60
                  logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They'd be in better jobs and able to buy at Kmart!
                  If Wal-Mart was no longer competitive and went out of business, wouldn't you be happy?
                  Oops!  Nature abhors a vacumn and some other company would step in, so you'd have some one to hate after all.

Why do you equate open eyes with hatred?

The point is, not whether any body else would step in, but that your whole system would break down if you had to pay living wages.

3. Barbara Kay profile image73

You must not live in a state like Michigan.

2. DannyMaio profile image60

they do not have to take the job! they have a choice. believe me if they are that good they will get paid!

A company local to me recently advertised some jobs.
            They had 800 applicants for each job.

Some choice.

may the best man win!, but again that is the UK. and you want us to be like this???? please keep your socialist garbage where you are.

Do you mean to tell me in that republican paradise there is always only one applicant per job?

LMAO yes that is what I said. Keep going Chubby Checker...twist away

Erm, that actually looks like you twisting.

10. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Wal-mart has become too big for its own britches. Not all their prices are the lowest either. They love loss leaders...and then get you with other goods at "not low" prices since you are already shopping there. They also force many manufacturing companies to make products at the price they demand, due to their buying power. Sam Walton was a discount store retail genius...he would have wanted to take on all competion and blow their doors off. However, I believe down deep he wouldn't have wanted to see his store become a monopoly...or take away Amercan jobs to the point where it hurt America.

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

just biz as uzual for the American corp - what's the surprise?  If you think a corp is a winner and good for us who uses the worker and abuses the worker and dupes the consumers and will expand at all cost selling merchandise that is usually cheaply made with brand names that fool us into thinking it is the same quality as other stores - then you must be part of the corp problem here in the US  - we all know that this kind of business will not do well in the long term and will infect America's economy in the long run and is part of the problem that led to our latest woes.  So don't shop there, is all I can say.  THere are others as well, and we as workers and consumers need to be super vigilant and protect ourselves, otherwise it doesn't matter what we think.

1. DonDWest profile image70
        DonDWestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that unless you're rich or upper-middle class, you have little choice but to buy a fair amount of product from Wal-Mart. The store is for all intents and purposes a monopoly on the poor to middle class.

1. mega1 profile image80

I really don't agree - it takes a little more effort to live well and not go to these big mega-marts to shop, but it is worth it.  You find quickly that you really enjoy living without so much of the stuff they sell.  It means that each time you make a purchase you have to decide whether you really need it - what it is needed for - and how much and where you will use it.  You end up shopping on the outside aisles at the grocery store, for instance, buying fresh produce etc - if it comes in a box, maybe you really don't want it. Eliminating waste packaging, making less trash.  Doing without the overly packaged items becomes a choice that changes your life-style for the better.  Believe me, I have been one of the worst over-consumers and just becoming aware of how I live and what I consume has changed everything for me.  do you need the stuff at Walmart?  Pay a little more and use less, that's my credo now.  Meanwhile, you will find the little stores that have some wonderful things and you make new friends with the people that sell to you.  Go to the farmer's market, for instance.  Like I say, less is more.

I'm the most frugal consumer around, I only buy when I need it. Still, that doesn't negate that the few times I need to shop, I just have no choice but to shop at Wal-Mart for a few select items. I don't buy my food at Wal-Mart and never plan to as I make use of the grocery store, my garden and farmer's market. I also buy my toileteries at the local drug store. Unfortunately, if I ever need anything slightly above the bare necessities of food and toilet paper, it's hard to find it anywhere else but Wal-Mart. At least that is the case for my region, I'm sure it's different else where, but please understand some communities across Canada and the United States don't have much in the way of choice.

1. mega1 profile image80

my apologies!  I guess I wasn't realizing how very lucky I am to live where there are so many choices - part of the reason I live here.  I know now that some people really don't have those choices - except maybe shopping online?  I think really Amazon and some of the big shopping online places are possibly not any better - except their employees are maybe treated better.  Maybe its just going to take a lot more public activity - protests and calling the media to make it a larger issue so that (sounding naive now) maybe those corps like Walmart will actually make some changes.

11. gitrdun4444 profile image59
    gitrdun4444posted 13 years ago

All I know is, I have worked in the Pet Shop business for over 10 years. It is nothing like it use to be. These are individual or family owned and operated. With a very personal touch, that you will never find at Wal Mart. These places have supplies and the animals to go with them. Eventually, you will only be able to buy supplies, because nobody is carrying the actual pet anymore! So, then what? Supplies can be purchased anywhere now...but what about the animals? This past Friday was my last day of work, at an independently owned Pet Shop that offered excellent customer service and really cared about its customers and their pets. We had people that we've known for years, in tears because we were closing our doors! It's just a really sad situation...our economy, our government, taxes are out of control. What is happening to our country?

12. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Wal Mart makes it easy to get everything we need. It makes life easier. I am for it.

The economics of it is BS.

Manufacturing jobs are a thing of the past. We have machines to do that now, and if we don't we should be engineering them.

You had me until "the economics of it are BS".

I hope you are one of the fortunate to have one of those engineering jobs and maybe a few machines to do it for you.

Not everyone is so fortunate.

That's exactly right! Most of us are not!

The funny thing is that those who think that we should be engineering the products being manufactured by other countries forget there is all the subsequent industries that profit by us manufacturing our own goods.  There are supply companies and all their people, transportation and logistics business.  The management and sales jobs and the list goes on.

Once the job is gone it is gone and all of the benefits that come from it.

2. Mikeydoes profile image43
        Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would we not strive for it? All I'm saying.

Those people in manufacturing can learn to be engineers. It just takes persistence and practice. I am a firm believer that anyone can do anything..

I would also add to the fact that most things in this "economy" we are talking about revolve around fancy cars and fashion. These things are not even close to a necessity and in all reality does little to no good for our planet/economy, in fact it hurts it. If the people making the perfect color drapes were to all be involved in spreading internet,electricity, and water to the masses, it would be doing plenty more good.

Instead we sit around and fight with each other about the dumbest things, while every rich person sits there and laughs at us. Wal Mart is not the problem, our society and gov't is.

You tell me one reason why going to one place to get everything you need isn't a great thing?

It all comes down to this thing we created called money. Makes people greedy and makes peace near impossible.

I would suggest the generalizations you are making are based on your value system and observations of others values systems.

Many people exist from paycheck to paycheck because of either their background or circumstances.  What you are saying to them is get off your lazy butt and do something with your life to attain the American Dream.  Well, maybe they have and their abilities have left them where they are at.  This is easily proved by aptitude testing of individuals who are just looking for a fair shot at that American Dream.
          Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer or a computer tech and the like.  As a matter of fact many are in this situation.
          Walmart big box stores are after one thing only.  Profits!  Any means neccessary to attain this is what they pursue. There is no morality to it just a single minded effort to dominate the marketplace at anybody elses cost.

Wake up man and see that the American Dream is soon becoming a nightmare for the lower middle class and the wealthy are not the least bit concerned.

Their short termed profits are being fueled by the thought of either dominating the market through crushing any opponent or getting theirs before anybody else can pose a threat.

1. Mikeydoes profile image43

No, your idea of the future is VASTLY different than mine. You are in it thinking the way America runs things will always be they way. If you are 50+ sure go ahead think that, as it may not affect you, but I'm 24, I WILL see so many changes in my life time and I plan on being here for another say 50+ for sure. Heck I might even step up and be the next MLK or founding father, and I'm being serious. Something is not right here, the way we are living. I talked about it with my Poppi and he was talking about how he remembers how they used to use gas to light their streets at night. And how he only found out events in the world sometimes weeks after they had happened. Technology is only going multiply by who knows how much more in my life time.. I will bet any money we will not be using light bulbs to light our streets forever. It really just depends on when people want to smarten up and work on getting real world peace. All of our problems can be resolved and can be decided in my lifetime. But it will never be solved with our governments, and if people don't want to smarten up. It will have to be decided collectively as a human race. I feel this is more than achievable.. It will be done through social networking sites and beyond, but the real question is when... Or if we will ever achieve it before our gov'ts destroy us.

Man I can go on forever.. And I'm sure I'm all over the place, but that is because I can say so much more..

YOU make them wealthy, you are allowing it. Sounds like instead of pushing democracy(which certainly has it's flaws), we should be pushing peace and no exact form of government, because all it is to me is a modified religion. Get the people INTERNET, keep them informed with REAL news. Because when we achieve peace, there is no doubt in my mind that everyone on earth will work minimally and happily. And do whatever they please.

And please don't tell me I need to be woken up, when it is clear you're still sleeping.

Your youth is betraying your common sense.  I never intimated that we should go backwards even though the old saying says, "The more things change, the more they remain the same".

I applaud your optimism and vigor but unless you learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it.  I am glad you listen to your Poppi but did he ever tell you that he wished it would go back to that?

The Walmart phenomena is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the future of jobs and manufacturing in this country.  What is an easy way to make something really expensive?  Make it exclusively and make it a neccessity to buy it from you.  The way to do that is drive the competition out of business.  You already must notice how inflation is creeping in and taking your choices away in some measure merely because you can't afford to buy it.  Food prices are escallating at an alarming rate and the industrial farms are not going to take any less.  A capitalist economic system has no room for humanitarian suffrage if you can't afford to buy your food.

This is where we are headed by taking the jobs away and the fair competition that is required for it to prosper.

I will make it simple.  Suppose you send an easy job such as a assembly line type job over to China.  The job is now gone to someone who is paid on average 1000% less than a comparable worker in the US.  They sell you his wares for a number of years until it is no longer profitable for anyone in the US to even contemplate doing this work here anymore.  The company importing this product for resale has now jumped his profit margin incredibly and has no competition to worry about in the US.  Essentially he has wiped out the competition and can hike the prices at his own whim.

You might say that we can sell them some IT or engineering knowledge they will need to improve their methods.  Well the Chinese are not sitting on their hands and as a matter of fact are surpasing us in many science and math fields exponentially.  We will then have to sell our knowledge base wares at a competitive rate over there.  That is the catch.  They won't buy it because they already have it and if they do, they will buy it at their going competitive rate.  Are we willing to live at their standard of living at that point?

The answer is not easy but if you decimate the US work force with the Walmart model it only leads us one way. Down.

You said we need to use history for the future.. I can't remember exactly, but first things first.
                I look at this time period as history already. And to me it is completely and UTTERLY embarrassing. This point in time is the time for change however. You do understand that our grandkids will be able to read this right? Not only that, every single person could. And when they come back see this time period and look back on it.. Assuming the all learn from our mistakes. They will be just laughing at our stupidity. You can blame Wal Mart all you want, but it is YOUR government that you voted for AND ULTIMATELY YOU SUPPORT IT. You let them make decisions for us on a daily basis. And on top of that. Let us not forget that money is paper. And this paper that you are saying Wal Mart is hording, well I can care less about it. Because all money is borrowed any way. And it was created by our ancestors, not these assholes who have billions.

I have more common sense than you could imagine. Please do not say something like that again, because you certainly pissed me off. Like a lot. My youth is my advantage, and my common sense is something I take pride in and use more than anyone I know. I'm young and dumb, sure you can think that all you want, but just remember the older become the more stubborn you get. This is proven, it is up to you to conquer your brain. Your pathways are so used to one thing it becomes cemented in your mind. And it starts when you are younger. I am one of the few people that has completely taken all the BS out of my life, for this reason alone. This is referring to almost anything you hear from the media or TV and it all comes back to money. Something that is losing it's value rapidly.

What you said in your basic paragraph is not only economics 101, and some of that material is even known by 3rd graders.. It will not hold up in the next 25 years from all of the changes are are upon us. Most will be history like you said. Money, greed and this made up thing called the economy, well it all can be prevented by us as people. The same way our government works, we all support it, we can all decide tomorrow to live a completely different way, and build towards that in no time. I have seen to and talked to every age group and the older ones sound just like you. I just keep my mouth shut I will open it up when the time is right, but for now I am still gathering my thoughts. Just because you are older does not mean you are wiser. I take everything EVERYONE says very serious and learn from it. Which is why I already feel am wiser than most people I talk to. I am not just saying that, and I don't mean to sound conceited, but the fact is I am sure it is true. I understand the brain, life, the past, the future and I understand people. As to where those people will spend their time understanding fashion and their religion. Which I am fine with, but with your limited time on this earth.

My grandma thinks about God for 1 hour a day. Adding up to a grand total of 3-6 years of her life MINIMUM. Then there is fashion and decorating, her hobbies and then time to herself(which she probably uses thinking about god and ewxploring her spirituality). My Uncle focuses 10 hours of his day on construction. He has spent 1/3+ of his life on construction alone. I spend this time on learning and exploring all of my capabilities as a human being. What I have discovered is beyond words. I feel anyone can do it, but it is nearly impossible for people to even grasp what I think.

You are completely underestimating me. And even more you are completely underestimating how far behind me you really are.

You are worried about Wal Mart.. Wal Mart is democracy at it's finest, you support it. I am all for the idea of having everything in one place, that is for sure. So that is why I go to Wal Mart, because I'm not paying my extra money to try and support a failing out of date business.

You can complain and blame Wal Mart all you want, but you are the one who is supporting it by voting for a two party system. Maybe I'll be basic since you can't grasp what I'm getting at. If you want to do something, vote for a different party. If you vote for a republican or a democrat, you will never see changes. It is that word you threw out there earlier. COMMON SENSE. If there are 4-5 candidates all in a close race, then BAM. That will certainly be a slow start.

I am not against government, don't get me wrong, but everything about our government is slowing down world peace and mankind.

You also have to understand I am actually taking out a lot of my text, because I really don't want to explain myself on these forums. I have a huge hub describing in detail to what I am even talking about.

One more thing.. You think a person working on an assembly line can't be creative and come up with an idea. Society makes them this way.

Man you have no idea how far behind you are on the times. I can't wait to prove you and the world wrong. I might even do it myself. Give me a year or two and I'm going to shock the world. Basically I am leaving out some key things in my posts, but either way, you aren't even talking about what I am.

1. profile image0
                  EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, people support Wal-Mart by the act of shopping there.  It has very little to do with politicians.

2. rhamson profile image72

@Mickeydoes  Your diatribe seems to reflect a lot of anger.  Perhaps it is based on a false belief on my part of your understanding of the issues.  Anger has two detractors, one being clouding judgement and therefore acting on false conceptions due to it and two, personalizing criticism and defending the ramifications of it.

I am merely calling to study why you think it is good for America to support the Walmart phenomena.  You are right in assuming that the political system we now have is somewhat to blame but that does not exclude us as the citizenry to act on our feelings of what is good for us.  I already addressed the reasons why Walmart and other big business entities have such power and it is because of that very corrupt political system.

Young people traditionally take umbrage with the older generation as having no understanding of new ideas or ways of attacking problems but I think the youth are so smart they think that they have the answers with less than adequate experience and the understanding of human nature.

I think that judging by your replies that you are not ready for this conversation as you are too busy defending who you are and your abilities based on some egocentric plain and therefore are incapable of addressing the issues directly.

You can criticize me for my age as the basis of your argument but that is not germane to the topic at hand.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Thank you for the conversation.

"Your diatribe seems to reflect a lot of anger." Well genius when you insult me it does tend to piss me off. Let us not recall that I did tell you that it pissed me off. However you assume that post was in anger, when in fact the only time I wrote in anger was saying that exact sentence and only that. So don't act like you know me once again. If you want to post videos and see me talk, I will really make you look sorry. Outwit me. NOT.

That anger came the fact that you have insulted me every post, and in fact it was more frustrating than anything, since you have little idea why you even tried me. The common sense that you said I don't have, is obviously in full swing. NEVER in a million years do I think I have any of the answers, I have a good idea what the future is going to bring. I am also aware that your world and what you are imagining will be NOTHING like you think it is going to be.

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW OLD YOU ARE, I only assume you are older because you insulted me for being young and dumb. Age has nothing to do with intelligence, FYI and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. I mentioned my age for a completely different reason. For all I know you could be 30, but obviously I am assuming you are older now. You are being egocentric thinking I know who you are or that I am against your thoughts on Wal Mart are, because I don't. Once again if you remember correctly you came at me. And obviously don't understand what I am even talking about.

You must also know that I do take a lot of what I type on the forums and save them for a couple of hubs I am working on. So there may also be some missing paragraphs that were on this issue. I feel that writing and getting my ideas out there is a great way to explore my brain and my capabilities. I have not even began to spill my brains out on this page.

You came to me and tried picking apart what I said Jack, not the other way around. Let us not forget that. You assume I'm angry, you assume I don't know what I'm talking about, and even BETTER you assume I support the "Wal Mart Phenomina." If you vote Republican or Democrat YOU SUPPORT IT, whether you like it or not. I go there to buy things and I see Wal Mart or variations of Wal Mart being an important part of people's lifestyles for hundreds, if not thousands of years to come. But even you said it is nearly impossible for that to happen with our government. However in most cases there will be items shipped directly to your house, and that will certainly continue and most likely increase as time goes on. Which is another reason I can really care less.

My name is Mike, not Mickey.

In this thread you have only said things that I have heard a million times. There is nothing new or groundbreaking, in fact it's like watching Glenn Beck or Keith Olberman.  Lets point out all of the bad things of the other party, and not fix anything. Lets talk about how there are all these things wrong with the goverment, but lets let them fix it, when us as the human race are smart enough and have the tools to do it now.

And on top of that, you went further in insulting me "I don't understand the issues" "I'm egocentric"

The whole basis of my original post was EXACTLY what you agreed with me on...

Old people DO NOT understand how to attack problems, neither do young kids. I HOWEVER am formulating ideas and working towards new innovative ways to get people to smarten up. And I will be spending time on it maybe years formulating my plan to change things, as to where you will post in a couple threads here and there explaining how mad you are.

The whole basis of this problem stems from 2 things, money(made up like the economy) and greed(part of many human's nature). We will solve nothing attacking Wal Mart, the problem lies within those 2 things, until we figure out how to use money correctly(if we even need it at all). One of those two things needs to be taken care of, or we will never get anywhere. If you haven't figured that out yet, I'm sorry.

Honestly I can not give away all my thoughts, because I am still gathering them. But I am really on to something, and I am 100% aware of it. Whether you want to call me egocentric or not, I can really care less, I'm not here to impress you or anyone else really. I'm here to learn.

Er, manufacturing is carried out on machines.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

I would like to point out that there's one economic school of thought that isn't afraid to say "getting things you want for a cheap price is a good thing"

Austrian Economics, baby.

http://mises.org/

Are you ready to become an anarchist?

13. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

No, there have been many, many instances of small businesses going under after Walmart enters a town. 

Eventually some new businesses will start up that do not directly compete against Walmart. 

However, all it takes is Walmart deciding to enter a niche and that business struggles and possibly dies.

Yes, and isn't it funny how the ones saying the US needs to create more small businesses are often the ones defending WalMart and other big businesses.

14. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

WorldCup -- You know, as well as everyone else here, that Wal-Mart isn't a bad thing.

If it were, it would cease to exist.

"OH NO!!! I CAN BUY THE THINGS I WANT IN ONE LOCATION FOR A CHEAP COST!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

The argument is clearly ridiculous.

"But what about the mom and pop shop?" --- obviously no one cares because we all shop at wal-mart anyway.

"What about how they ship jobs overseas" --- are you racist against other people getting jobs just because they "live overseas"? Of course not. They get jobs, you get cheap goods. win-win.

"What about..." ---- whatever it is, it's nonsense.

15. John Holden profile image60

The question is, Evan, are you ready to become an anarchist?

How can he be an anarchist and pro-corporate at the same time?

That's what I keep wondering.
        I've known many anarchists over the last forty years and not one has had similar beliefs,everything from extreme left wing to extreme right wing, but they've all had one thing in common, they've been fervently anti-establishment.
        Not one of them has had a good word for the establishment.

I would bother to show you the answer, but I know you wouldn't bother watching any of the videos or reading any of the documents.

I'll just go with easy to find links:

http://mises.org/books/lessons_for_the_ … murphy.pdf
          An entire textbook explaining how government screws over entrepreneurs. For free online, or for 30 bucks from mises.org.

http://www.hacer.org/pdf/Hazlitt00.pdf
          The best book ever written.

And you're assuming that big business doesn't and wouldn't screw over entrepreneurs!
            The major problem with government is that big business has too much power in it.
            Why on earth do you believe that unfettered big business would suddenly become benign.

1. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Surely the real issue is the power itself, not who has the power.

I don't think government is any more benign than big business.  Even "democratic" governments do some pretty horrendous things.

People really need to stop thinking in terms of either "government good, business bad" or "business good, government bad".  The reality is that abuses are more likely to occur if power concentrates too much in the hands of one person or organisation, regardless of the nature of that person/organisation.  The best you can hope for is a sort of balance of opposites. 

Well, actually the best you can hope for is that people as individuals wake up to the fact that putting all your retail eggs in one basket and shopping entirely at Wal-Mart (or its equivalent) might be better for your wallet in the short term, but is bad for the economy in the long term. 

But I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

no, the real issue is "who has the monopoly of military"?

The government.

Do what it says or you get hammered.

You don't want to support the wars in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq, and Pakistan? too bad.

You don't want to support welfare? too bad.

You don't want to give failed companies trillions of dollars because they suck? Too bad.

Pay up or spend your life in a prison, or dead.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

A government is nothing more than a monopoly on legislation and military.

Might makes right.

I have yet to see a company (other than those that operate in the illegal sector) use a military to enforce its rules. You know this to be true.

And, sans state government, how long do you think it would be before private government did use a military force to impose it's rules?

John. I've given you the answers to these questions numerous times before.

Go read a book.

Here are a few free ones:

You expect me to read several books on economics because you can not answer why private militia would not exist with no government to ban them!

Not even a reference or bookmark!

Stop taking the p!ss Evan.

Anarchy = the absence of state government.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anarchy

How does that have ANYTHING to do with wal-mart?

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Hey Don, Here are some links to the answer to your question.

Don't bother asking again until you read the books in question.

I would like to point out that both are for free online because the authors refute the existence of "intellectual property", as it can only be enforced through government.

16. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Walmart sucks. They say they have the lowest prices always. And, that is not true at all. All you have to do is get a bunch of ads together, and you will almost always find a store that is selling items cheaper than Walmart. On almost any item they sell.

They really rip people off on grocery items. For example Coke or Pepsi products. Their regular price for a 2 liter bottle is around $1.89, but, if it Cherry or some other flavor it costs more. Meijer has a regular price of $1.69, and it doesn't matter what flavor it is they are all the same price. And, if coke products are on sale at Meijer all of them are on sale. Not at Walmart, it's usually just the regular pop, but, any flavored pop is excluded.

Walmart's electronics are mostly off brands, and their WII games and PC games usually cost up to $10.00 more than every other store. But, there are some great deals on other items, but,the great deals are few. Anything that is remotely popular is going to have sticker shock. Like old PC games that are still being sold for $49.00 when other stores mark their older pc games down. One reason why I never buy electronics at Walmart.

Another thing Walmart does is bait people by bringing in items that they only sell for a limited time. Like around Black friday, where they offer huge deals with limited supply, and then offer to sell you something of lesser value, when the item they advertised is already sold out. Then they no longer carry that item. Basically getting people to impulse buy.

But, this is a growing trend, as a lot of major retail chains are copying everything that Walmart does. So, to answer your question. No Walmart is not good for America. But, I can't say that any other major retailer is any better. It used to be that companies wanted to offer people good service with quality merchandise, but all the new CEO's want is to line their companies pockets with cash. And say that they one-upped each other. I worked in retail enough to know that.

1. gracenotes profile image89
      gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dislike Walmart.  I might go in there 4 times per year, but only because I suddenly realized there was something I needed, and I happened to be in their neighborhood.  Walmart seems to do a poor job of stocking.  In my area, the Walmarts are all clean and shiny, but it's not enough to make me visit them often.

There are also some retail stores with employees who don't even know what's in their inventory.  I can't say that is the case with Walmart, because I don't shop with them much, but I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

Costco is a much better store than Walmart, with better prices.  The closest Costco in my area is a 25-minute drive, which isn't cool when gas prices are so high.

I LOVE this answer:

"Wal-mart is evil because other companies that copied wal-mart sometimes do a better job than them"

... basically the argument is: "Wal-mart was a revolutionary invention. But since then, copy cats are doing a better job."

Awesome.

1. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually in Michigan, Walmart has started to Copy Meijer, and Meijer is in turn copying them. Meijer even tried the whole sam's club idea, and then closed all of those down, and incorporated the bulk stuff into into it's regular stores. Or Superstores as they used to call them, when it sounded too much like super center. Now Costco is here as well.

They are always trying to one-up each other with little care about their employees or their customers. As people know that they really can't afford to shop anywhere else because these corporate giants are putting all the mom and pop stores out of business. So, they just rubbing their hands together waiting to cash in on whatever they can get. losing money in some areas while raking in the bucks in others.

I worked for them, that's how I know.

17. John Holden profile image60

Mikey, I'm not going to try to cover your whole post but there were a couple of points that triggered a thought or two.

You say that street lights won't always use bulbs.
    In the UK we are all ready using LEDs for street lighting.

This is a government initiative, there is no incentive for a private company to use this technology.

Though the nature of government needs to change, to have the hand of business removed, government can be a force for good that wouldn't be provided by any other system

I don't have all the answers when it comes to exactly how much government we should need, if we need any at all. But it is clear that we are in agreement, because what you said I agree with(in that regard). I just know that there are other philosophies and ways of living that would make life great for everyone and Wal Mart and the US government are certainly not right at all in this regard.. I'm sure those LED will be gone before I die too wink

I just look at things a lot differently than most people. And honestly I am trying to figure it all out right now. Forums like these help me gather my thoughts.

Money to me is just the ultimate ponzi scheme, so many rich people laugh in our faces on a daily basis, crap I would too. But it is only because we allow them to. When that ponzi scheme bubble bursts, hopefully we(me you and hopefully the world) will be ready for it. Which I think is obtainable. We need the smartest minds to begin working on plans.

18. John Holden profile image60

Yes rhampson, America made itself great by grasping the concept of cheap and disposable. A classic example of this was the 19th century clock makers, dirt cheap and disposable. So cheap that the first boatloads imported into the UK were seized by customs as being unrealistically cheap and assumed to be dumped.
    Meanwhile, we still made clocks that would last one hundred years or more at a price.

Now the cheap manufacturing has gone to China but still the US hangs on to its dream and nothing has been brought in to replace it.

Look to Germany, they are engineers (as we once were) they don't build cars, they build BMWs and Mercedes. They don't build ships, they build luxury liners.

In short, they build desirability into goods and don't even bother trying to build down to a price.

.... god Europeans piss me off....

"America sucks, and that's why they're awesome."

... ugh...

Well you said that, I didn't.

19. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

How is it possible that anyone can think Walmart is good on any level? They come in to town, drop their prices until their competitors are out of business, and take over. They pay minimum wage to their employees and make them all part timers so they don't have to provide any benifites and the government picks up the bill in medicare. They buy all of their products from over seas, cheap junk designed to fall apart after a few uses, and for some reason they have not been split up under any United States monopoly laws which they are clearly rising to violate.
    America needs to boycot Walmart.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)