RSS feeds and links to one's own hubs via tags

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

I recently received a warning, which I did not understand, but which, it turned out, actually referred to links to my own hubs ~ unrelated ones. I eventually sorted it out.

I wondered why RSS feeds to our latest / best / hottest hubs were supplied, if we couldn't use them.

Then I was told that we should use our RSS feeds to link to our related hubs. To do this, we had to add a specific identifiable tag to each of the related hubs. I have done this with some of mine.

I have just read in the forum that some people have been told about adding these 'nonsense tags'.

So, what are we supposed to be doing?
    Using nonsense coded tags to link to related hubs?
    Not using these tags, and not using our own RSS feeds?

If we are not to use our personal RSS feeds at all, then why provide them?

Once again, I am confused smile

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The latest RSS feed may not always be related links.
      You could use words such as Trishlovepoems or trishsonnets  which would link only those very appropriate hubs .
      You could use the RSS feeds for submitting feeds on feed submission sites or on your blogs. They would be more effective than having them placed internally.
      I have found that the scores on some of my hubs have improved after i have removed the feeds.
      I hope someone comes and adds more information to this. smile

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is correct.

RSS feeds were originally designed to be used off of HubPages. Using them in your own Hubs is OK if you use them properly.

I would create, for example, an RSS feed for your Hubs tagged 'poetry' or whatever, and only use that feed in your poetry Hubs. That way, you'll know that the Hubs linked to in that feed are directly related to your Hub's topic: poetry.

This is how you create a Hubber- and tag-specific RSS feed:
        http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/hubb … -rss-feed/

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

That is an excellent answer, Sofs!

3. Trish_M profile image80

So it is not true, then, that these 'nonsense tags' are not allowed?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nobody on this thread has recommended "nonsense tags" as far as I can tell. People have been suggesting using distinct tags that make sense.

Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So 'trishsonnets' would be ok, but not, say, the code 'TMshsons', which could stand for 'Trish M's Shakespeare sonnets'??

If that's it, then I have a lot more changes to make. smile

1. profile image0

Personally, I would prefer not to use tags that only made sense to me.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Trish, you seem to be making more out of this than needs to be. hmm

Your example of "TM" the shortened version of something larger would be flagged as irrelevant. Spell out the word.

If you have a topic, use a main keyword of that topic to attach an RSS Feed to it. Don't use short-cuts in the keywords. The short-cut is most likely not related and not even the moderators would know the difference. Only you would know the difference and that is not acceptable.

3. sofs profile image78

As long as you know what they stand for it should work, because you are concerned with the most appropriate links here... but I would think instead of having all the eight related links, using just two or three  most appropriate ones will be better for you internally.
          For which you may have to come up with specific tags each time ..Like trishsksprenaturesonnets or something that also specifies the subject of the sonnets.

2. Jason Menayan profile image61

I'll have to investigate that. I doubt that ones used with challenges like 60dc will cause a problem.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Making "Groups" properly titled would also be a correct to way to use the RSS feed would it not, Jason? Then you may use either the latest, hot or best?

I don't think so, if you're meaning "groups" like this feature:
          http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/groups

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how you mean "groups".

OK, for example:
            I write a lot about NFL Football. I have 2 Groups. 1-NFL Football and 2-NFL Playoffs

In NFL Playoff Hubs I would use the NFL Playoff Group RSS feed on the NFL Playoffs hubs to show either the latest, best or Hot.
            Same with the NFL Football RSS feed.
            --The content is related since all are about NFL Football.

Those sound closely related enough to me to avoid any moderation for irrelevant links.

OK, thanks. I posted the last response while you were typing this one. lol

2. Michael Willis profile image67

Jason...here is one I have on a Hub. Let me kow if this would be ok or if it is not, I will have to change it. The RSS is at the bottom of the page.
            http://hubpages.com/hub/2010-2011-nfl-f … redictions

Michael - that RSS feed seems relevant so it's OK.

4. sofs profile image78
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Thanks Jason and WE I am learning well then I guess smile

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

There is no reason for making "super" special tags for RSS Feeds. It's a waste of time and the keyword would be irrelevant.

1. sofs profile image78

That is absolutely true...that is what I am finding out now.. for external site just some clear tags are enough.

6. Trish_M profile image80

Hi smile

It's not that I am trying to make something big out of this; it's that I read this advice, set it in motion and now need to know ~ for certain ~ whether I need to go into a number of my hubs and make changes to my tags. smile

1. profile image0

Trish, I think you have asked a very relevant question, and I've been interested to read. I'm just tagging along.

2. sofs profile image78

Trish ..you may realize from Cagsil's posting and my response.. that Rss feeds inside of hubpages is useless.  For use of feeds outside of Hubpages you just need fewer and general tags.. More keyword based tags  I hope this helps

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say you were making something big out of it. I said you were making more out of it than there was to it.

Relevant tags/keywords inside RSS Feeds should be tags, at least one of the major keywords of your other articles that you are planning on linking to.

If you have an article about something specific, then a keyword or tag from that hub, should be used in an RSS Feed.

The relation is not to be filled with ambiguity, but should be directly related. If someone has to guess, like a moderator, then it will be flagged or you will run into problems.

I have several hubs on "character" education. The relevant keyword/tag would be "character+education" inside the RSS Feed.

I'm just trying to help. wink

Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile
        I appreciate the advice.

My only concern is that I have already added these tags, and I wanted to check whether I need to remove or change them, because I have rather a lot smile

7. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Completely relevant question, so this is how I'd explain it.

Tags are ways searchers can find your Hub; they are descriptors understood by people who don't know you, but who might want to read what you've written in your Hub:
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#tags

Therefore, tags really should be ordinary types of words that make sense to everyone. Especially since you can narrow in an RSS feed to your Hubs alone, I would recommend only using tags that are normal words, like: 'poetry' or 'sonnets'.

The exception for this are tags used by the HubChallengers or in some of the contests, because it's a way of aggregating Hubs for a different purpose. Our moderators try to keep abreast of most of the most common ones, but esoteric, "nonsense" tags that aren't widely used could be mistakenly moderated.

On the other hand, groups can be named whatever you like, since the actual name of the group itself won't be seen by anyone but you.  EDIT: As Website Examiner mentions, you can choose to have the Group name display, if you like, in which case an intelligible group name might be preferable.

1. profile image0

Manage Groups gives hubbers the option whether to display the group's name publicly or not.

You are absolutely right. Let me amend that post. smile

8. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I just hope that they give those of us with many hubs time to make these changes.  I am going back in to my over 300+ hubs and deleting the RSS "latest hubs" link and adding ones better related...but this is obviously taking time to accomplish.  I think that ultimately it will make for a better hub...especially when similar topics can be mentioned.  In some cases I am linking all hubs from one state together...in other cases national parks, etc.  Lots of work to do!!!

Hi Peggy,

Technically, unrelated RSS feeds are an "old" rule that we've just begun enforcing a bit more stringently post-Panda update. Therefore, there is technically no deadline for them, but any Hub you have with unrelated RSS feeds could be flagged and then moderated at any time.

9. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey! I've added more details on RSS feeds (as well as tags, summaries, and warnings) to the end of that Recent Changes thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274

And Peggy W- I know that's a lot of work, but I do think your Hubs shall be all the better for it! Thanks for being so on top of things.

10. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Am working on them!  Anything we can do to improve our hubs is always welcomed.  Thanks for being patient.  Back to work now...huff and puff!  smile

11. Trish_M profile image80

Thanks, everyone, for the information. smile

Again, something that a respected Hubber advised, and which seemed like a great idea at the time, but which is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth.

I think that I shall just get rid of the RSS feeds and stick to good old fashioned 'links'. They may take a while to type, but they seems like the best option.

Now I have to go and remove all of those feeds and all of those tags. sad

We really do need a clear set of rules.

Thanks for the info smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)