Explanation of the Level Grade on Accolade Needed from STAFF.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

OK, on the Commenter;leaving insightful and engaging comments Accolade there is a "grade/ranking level number.
    What does this mean and what is Good and what is bad!

In other words..whose comments are insightful/engaging and who of us should just keep quiet? lol

1. WoodsmensPost profile image62
      WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reading this http://hubpages.com/faq/#accolades

I would have to say level I is low and level VII is the best. I'm a level IV which is an average commenter as well as tipper hmm

Simone Smith is a perfect example of a level VII

Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went and disabled my accolades publicly showing a little while ago. I don't need a popularity contest to write, engage or comment.

2. Simone Smith profile image86
        Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*simper simper*

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Michael,

The grading system either goes up or down depending on comments left on other hubs and possibly how often you do comment.

I have reviewed several other accounts of some veteran members, and the grade level fluctuates between a Grade 5(V) to Grade 7(VII).

Now, knowing what I know about myself, then I would think that the higher the number, is bad and the lower the number is better.

I don't leave comments every day anymore and I'm not especially active in reading hubs, as of lately, yet my grade is 7(VII).

I hope that helps some. smile

I have seen sites where higher is good and on others that the lower number is good. lol
      I see this just as another number for Hubbers to worry over just like the hubkarma.
      How does this help HubPages as a writer's site? Are we becoming more a "social site"  now instead?
      I think I will just go and hide all accolades. They are not beneficial really to the writing.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I know.
        I see it as another number that makes no difference, therefore no need to worry about it.
        Who knows? Who cares?
        HP is already partially a socialized site. The level of interaction is almost the same.

Well, that's up to you. smile

True. Many times I will just read a hub and I don't comment unless I feel the comment is necessary or it may add to the hub. Not just to "add a comment for an accolade."
          If posting more in forums "earns" a better accolade score now, we will see an outrageous number of useless posts just to raise people's ranking instead of good discussions. Same could be said for hub commenting.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm had my times when I hide all the accolades because sometimes if "certain people" see a high number of views they see that as reason to steal some Hubs.   Then, too, I have times when I'm in my "withdrawing from the Internet" mood, and I make anything that can made private, private.  lol

Sometimes, though, I get in a more practical mood/mode and think, "If somebody new wants to know what  'older' Hubbers do to get, say, a score of 90/96/100 - whatever;  the activities/"accolades" are there to show whatever ways the Hubber in question participates on the site.  People's Hubs are there.  Their activity is there.  It's all transparent to anyone who's interested in knowing what kind of stuff "whoever" does.

Every so often someone comes on the forums and says something like, "You'll never do well if you write this kind of stuff," or "Nobody who writes x kind of stuff can earn." (or get high scores, or get high traffic - whatever).  The "accolades" let anyone who's interested in what anyone does see, for themselves, rather than believe some forum poster who may have drawn his own conclusions about one thing or another.  It may not be rampant, but over time I've seen quite a few misguided ideas being presented on the forums here, so I don't necessarily think transparency with who-does-what is a bad thing.

There's nothing I, personally, have ever done on here (including coming to the forums) as a way of trying to get one score or another.  It's just not me to care about scores.  A lot of people do nothing unless they think it will get some score or accolade.  That's their business.  If someone posts a bunch of "insightful" or helpful comments somewhere on the site, even if he does it for his own "scoring" - who cares.  The comments are "insightful", which is what, I think, HP wants people to post.

Useless, junk, meaningless, comments are something people have been doing for ages (with the idea of getting their name "out there"). I'm guessing that if outrageous numbers of people start posting two-word comments in "zillions" of places on the site, they probably won't get any "accolade" for it anyway.

I just think it's all fine (sort of, anyway   smile  ).  People post spam.  They post junk comments.  It's what goes on.  I don't worry about what other people do, or will do.  I just worry about what I do, which is basically just doing my own thing and trying not be spammy or "junky" whenever I post anything.

I've never cared about scores or "accolades" (and I REALLY don't pay attention to HubKarma), but none of it bothers me either.  I can see how with a couple of hundred thousand Hubbers involved, scores and numbers could help sort out some stuff, besides adding to transparency.

I don't know...   I kind of think the only people who may not quite have scores (and the like) in perspective on here would be new people, but I don't think it takes them long to figure out that scores and accolades aren't "the big thing" on here.

2. Michael Willis profile image66

Btw...how did the gun control hub turn out that was discussed in the forum a while back that I was engaging in?

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote it Michael, and I found it turned out well. smile big_smile

3. Michael Willis profile image66

One can leave a thousand comments saying. "Good job" or "Great Hub" and that does not tell me the comment was insightful or engaging!
    If the accolade is about the number of comments made by the hubber, then it should be called just that. Not to mislead to think one makes better comments than others.

Oh, well. I will continue to comment as I have anyways. I don't need accolades to respond to others in HP. I will read and comment when I feel the need/choose to and help others when I can.

1. ezhang profile image81
      ezhangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Michael,

We've actually considered this possibility, and we made the decision to penalize short comments (in our calculations for this accolade). A hubber who writes nothing but short comments won't be eligible for this accolade.

That is a good decision.  And I will admit that I do Not see the need for ranking comments. How does that really help Hubpages? Or the writers?

1. Simone Smith profile image86

Michael-  the levels of the Accolade are designed to encourage people to actively contribute to the community, and one way to actively contribute is to leave meaningful comments and feedback.  It does help us (as Hubbers) when we get feedback on our work (at least it helps me, and I know it helps many of our fellow Hubbers), and if it helps writers, it helps HubPages big_smile

I agree with you SImone that comments help. I don't see the need to show public Ranks of how people comment. And how the ranking Helps HP.

1. Simone Smith profile image86

That's why we've made it optional to display Accolades.  For those who are interested in them, having the opportunity to level up is fun.  I, for example, am motivated to comment more on others' work, because I want to be a Level 8 Great Commenter XD
              This sort of thing helps HubPages because it encourages people to get involved.  The more we can do to provide positive feedback to people doing good things on the site, the better.

Why not then just set it up where we can choose "which accolade" to show? That way we that do not agree with the one that deal with rankings can not display those, but the others.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
              Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In spite of my long post above (that isn't entirely against accolades and scores), I have to say I'm pretty immune to efforts to encourage one thing or another on here.  All the scores in the world aren't going to get me to do what I don't plan to do.   hmm  (Just saying... hmm )  But, I don't run a site like this (or this one); and those who do say that encouraging people to do one thing or another with numbers and accolades works - who am I to question it.   hmm  It's no skin off my nose if HP wants to add some scores and accolades.   smile

I've seen, myself, how comments help; because I had Hubs that never would have earned what they did if it weren't for comments; and Hubs that wouldn't get the traffic they have if it were for comments, and my commenting back.

4. Michael Willis profile image66

Since I can't seem to be able to add a Reply to Simone's reply.....

Well, I am involved and cannot be here nearly as much as others. So, first x. But, I will keep doing what I am doing.
    I prefer not to get caught up in the public comparisons between hubbers with rankings, so I have disabled my accolades publicly. The accolades were fine with me before the rankings became part of them. No offence intended by that, just my point of view on the rankings.

Thanks Simone and Ezhang for your responses.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

To be completely honest, in my humble opinion the only accolades should be the numbered ones, since they are based on numerical achievement. The other accolades are open to interpretation and can be confusing.
    As for me like many others, I just pay attention to the numbered accolades.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)