Your accolade for leaving engaging n insightful comments is now graded

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (58 posts)
  1. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Have you noticed that ?? I am a level VII commentator it says ..
    Is there a particular reason for this ??
    Could someone enlighten me on this ?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a new HP policy to cope with the panda update. Didn't you know?tongue

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you explain that further..   Obviously I didn't and that is why I asked for information. tongue

This way they will know who isn't posting comments regularly and thus making it easier for them to choose people for un-publishing articles.

1. sofs profile image77

That doesn't sound logical.. .. may be there is another reason for the whole exercise
            or
            it is just one more carrot like the accolade itself to get people be more active in the community.

That post was intended to be sarcastic. Guess I didn't do well to make it one. smile

2. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Best of luck, and, keep falling for it. smile

lol

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've not noticed that at all.  Assuming that you are right, then I think it's a good thing.  Sometimes I get in too big of a hurry and leave lame ass comments like "brilliant hub!,"  "Great job!," etc.

Seems like an Info Barrel type improvement, but an improvement just the same.  I think that accolade was too easy to get.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I hadn't seen it until you posted this. (One more number not to pay a lot of attention to.   smile  )

1. sofs profile image77

Doesn't make a great difference though .. I was just wondering.. What these changes are about and do they really contribute to making this site any better.

3. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

just seen i am level six, have to work harder i guess!

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What, are you kidding? A level six is pretty good!

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Sofs... Just Chill.... just smile and take it for what it is!

Irrespective of purpose.. it demonstrates that HP are BUSY Making the site better for all of us big_smile

I have also Noticed that those who have lost faith in the site and left.. Don't Have to Worry What It Means Sofs... smile

1. sofs profile image77

LOL good to see you back... lol

5. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

Even though I'm only a level III, I like the new graded accolade.

6. Rosie2010 profile image66
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I also noticed it today.  It also says VII on mine, and I thought what da heck is that for?  Is it I to X?  or is it I to C? lol

7. jponiato profile image88
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

Where are you seeing this?  I'm not seeing it on my profile.  Maybe I haven't left enough insightful comments to earn a rating.

1. jponiato profile image88
      jponiatoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Never mind - I see it on other profiles.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't, where in hell is it???

8. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

So is Level I the top or the bottom?

1. quotations profile image88
      quotationsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's my question too - is it better to be number 1 or number 10 on this scale? And what is the maximum/best you can get?

I probably shouldn't care because I am sure that this accolade has no impact on anything, but those behavioral psychologists at Hubpages seem to have come up with another carrot to entice us to do their bidding.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Welcome back Pearldiver

10. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

I am only a III. Guess I need to shut-up in the forums! My comments must be worthless in helping others.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

No big deal. wink

12. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Apparently I leave "crass and unhelpful comments on many hubs".

Oh well.  It's still an accolade.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am in the same boat it seems, so you are not alone.
      Guess we should start hitting hundreds of hub saying..."good hub" or we suffer the consequences. lol  (Not!)
      Like Ray has said, it really is no big deal. Kinda like the HubKarma thingy.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

An empty comment or like or vote is an insult I think, but it's the way things are going.  I landed on Huffington Post the other day and was shocked.. shocked I tell you... by the way they have gone for interaction.

Forget the journalism, the whole site - well I checked a couple of page - consisted of crappy article - followed by hundreds of comments.

Some of the commenters had medals for commenting!

It's madness, but I guess it makes Huffington a nice Google friendly interactive site.

I'm off now to get my other ID's doing a bit of commenting on my poorest hubs.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
          Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean. It gets ridiculous. When things are so bad for a site because of bad content, we are encouraged to act more like a social site than a writers site.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

You should see some of my comments.

"This looks like a spam article, and you look like a spammer.  Good God, you've not even uploaded an Avatar.  I'm flagging this, scum, never come back here. Toodles."

1. Rosie2010 profile image66
              Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Ign Andy profile image57
              Ign Andyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I should try that smile

3. workingmomwm profile image81
              workingmomwmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, how I've wanted to leave comments like that, but I haven't (too chicken, I guess). I just flag the hub and move on. Too funny!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

If Google loves interactive. . . .then so do I, but only for the obvious reasons.

"Top O' The Morning, Google!  How would you like your coffee, good Sir? Creme de la Creme again is it? Oh No Sir!  Tis No Trouble at all!"

13. prairieprincess profile image93
    prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

This is from the Learning Centre:     

"Great Commenter: leaves engaging and insightful comments on others' Hubs, as well as responding to others' comments on their own Hubs. Hubbers can achieve a level of I to VIII (in Roman Numerals) depending on the amount they contribute."

So, it goes up to VIII.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

where can you find this information??

Check out your accolades, Pretty one!  Mine - I just now checked, says I'm a level VIII commenter! (bragging, ignore me, but that's what it says)

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Wesman, WTG!!

2. prairieprincess profile image93
      prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From the Learning Centre, under Accolades.

15. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

How can the filter used to "rank" a person's comment for an enlightened or engaging comment tell the difference in a comment for the rank or if it is a real enlightened/engaging comment? Guess it is about the number of comments instead of the quality of comments.

Good question.  Perhaps either the number of commented hubs is the thing?  Or it could even be number of hubs viewed vs comments left?  Or even, it could be length of text in comments submitted?

Of course the length of text per comments left could be manipulated severely, but it's not like we get paid for the accolade, so it's just a sort of. . . .feel good thing, I 'spose.

I bow to your superior grade 8 knowledge Wesman.  Although curiously I don't recall seeing an insightful and engaging comment from you on any of my hubs.
        I demand a recount...

Tis because I'm usually left in awe of your hubs.  Happy to be associated with you - simply by having a profile on the same domain. . . . .

lol... very good.

edit: oh and likewise I'm sure.  There must be an accolade for mutual whatever.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah, like G they can't check the quality, it is subjective..

16. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

Oops! I miss read mine that said I had a Vll and I thought it meant I was doing a crappy job commenting. With graduation going on this upcoming weekend, my attendance on HP is slacking. I was happy to see my profile hit 100, if only for a few hours.
    Those are some great questions Michael. I was wondering the same.

17. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Wow! that is a lot of information here... at least we know now that we have levels to attain LoL ..lol

18. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

To those of you still looking for more details on the updated Great Commenter Accolade, check out our latest blog post: http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/05/commenter-accolade/

big_smile

19. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Thanks Simone...I will do that smile

EDIT
    LOL  Negative marking for short comments ..mmm may deter those great hubs, good work types  smile

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exaaaactly wink

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There seems to be a fracture between what you are saying, Simone, and what Jason is saying in his most recent comment to the blog post.

Either there's a penalty for short comments, or there isn't.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about the confusion!

A very consistent, repetitive pattern of short comments will be penalized (the "great Hub!" kind). Comments of varying length, including the occasional short-but-sweet kind, are fine. smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image77

Well then, do you think that needs to be stated in the blog post, which as of now, doesn't say that? smile

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
              Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure, we can clarify that. smile

20. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

Well I like to always be number 1, so I guess I'll leave mine the way it is, 1. big_smile

21. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I put this in the HubKarma pile.

yawn

Would be nice to get less "great hubs" though.

Want a worthwhile accolade? Ill give it away.

Social Promoter Accolade (This Hubber shares great finds with their friends and social network)

Set some event tracking to follow clicks by logged in users for Twitter, FB et al, and encourage something that gets some additional offpage eyes.

If it catches on phase out the thumbs up/thumbs down and internal "show' buttons and highlight the offsite share features more prominently.

you can put a little 's" on the accolade for "social" and as a secret nod to me giving you the best accolade idea to date even though every day I have to edit yet another hub.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. Sally's Trove profile image77

I like this idea. It sure beats that facebook recommendations spot at the end of the right-hand column on a Hub. I could care less about those recommendations...I see them when I log on to fb and see my "friends" activity. Why duplicate what I already see on fb?

If HP wants to promote social networking via "Twitter, FB et al", then reward Hubbers for their efforts to promote their own HP writings, and the writings of others Hubbers, on social networks.

Before I joined fb, that fb recommendations spot on an HP Hub featured popular Hubs (determined by numbers of views or fb "likes"), Hubs that I wouldn't have seen in any other way. But now that I have an fb account, this HP spot only regurgitates what I've already seen in my fb newsfeed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)