Trans-gender Pastors

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Could a person who is a trans-gender ie. a man who became a woman, or a woman who became a man, become a parish pastor and if yes would they have to and should they have to reveal the fact that they are trans-gender?     Does it matter what they were, or does it matter who they are?

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Surely what matters is who they are? If they are spiritual, well-balanced and know the job, does it matter about what gender body they inhabit or how they attained that gender?

Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CMHypno: I agree with you fully.

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe the term is called "strange flesh".
      If a person is spiritual, and certainly led by the Spirit, their gender choice would not be aloof to their natural creation.

I am actually working on a piece about transgender and the spirit called Sex and the Spirit.

This could be an interesting thread, if they can stay on topic...

James.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Staying on topic lol-good luck with that.

Trans-gendered ,are they not confused about their identity,gender etc?

The role of Pastoring is to lead ,guide,protect etc within the'family of God'.

Not a position that affords one to be confused in anyway wink

1. profile image0

wink

That is just the tip of the iceberg.
          other areas include sexual depravity, nymphomania, gender swapping, pedophilia, etc. --even without surgical alteration. The argument presents the case: "...because of spiritual dryness or discord, the natural tendency of an individual is offset, perhaps causing these outward changes --subtle or extreme, hostile or non-violent, aggressive or repressive against themselves or a single --even a group-- of other individuals..."

James

2. Dave Mathews profile image61

As it has been explained to me, someone who is trans-gender people were people who were not happy in the sex they were for whatever the reason and after much time of soul searching have decided to change from one to the other theirfore I would not say they were confused any more.  I therefore feel this is not an issue.
          Should they reveal the change though or should they be seen as they appear now without any revelation of their past life in a different sex than they now appear?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps this is a matter between God and the person themselves ,at least initially.

I am not one to wish to pass judgement who can and who cannot serve God.

I am also assuming that in order to be a Pastor the church concerned will interview and seek to clarify this persons spiritual standing /experience/character,etc.

I guess then it will be however the person concerned chooses to define his life coupled with honesty will be revealed (or not)

usually the person applying to be Pastor their spiritual standing, experience and character would come into question but this might not question their sexuality one would see a woman or a man and usually assume either is as seen not as what was before.   Regardless of this should the candidate be forthcoming and reveal it? They are now as perceived and what is past is past.

3. thebrucebeat profile image60
          thebrucebeatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Dave Matthews response to this post is right on the money.
          The only addition to it that I would make is if you think pastors are incapable of doubt or confusion, you don't know any of them very well.  They are like anyone else, and go through seasons of greater and lesser faith as they go through life.  The only difference is they hold on and ride the waves of insight as they are revealed and alternately hidden.

1. kwade tweeling profile image81
            kwade tweelingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is of course the best case scenario. I have known many to be... less than savory people. As with any other profession, sometimes you get the bad ones.

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep why not ..God is happy when the dead minister to the dead....

1. profile image0

lol that's not right kess --funny, but so not right. lol

1. kess profile image60
          kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you notice the dead will always have the dead with them for they are one....what else there is to except to minister one to the other....

Well then show me your perspective..?

1. profile image0

I agree with you, it was just funny how you said it.
            The dead have no company but the dead; the blind no company but the blind. The image that popped in my head was a bunch of pirate skeletons talking to each other over a very aggressive game of cards and rum. That's why I laughed...

4. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you can go through the identity crisis that a transgendered person does, and come out with compassion and understanding for humanity without bitterness, then I'd wish that all transgendered people were counselors, pastors, and those who help humanity find themselves.

5. Harlan Colt profile image79
      Harlan Coltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a really great question. I believe trans-gender to be an issue of confusion within the person it affects. The cause or reasons of that confusion, I admit I am largely ignorant of, but I believe so is everyone else, all opinions on the matter be they deeply experienced or not, are still just opinion.

It could be the result of environmental /home life and childhood experiences or even physiological make-up beyond their control. I don't believe a man can be born in a woman's body or vice-versa, that would suggest that God is cruel or that He made a mistake with someone, and the Bible says God is not a respecter of persons meaning he does not give one any more special treatment than another, thought I believe he blesses those who seek him out and are faithful. Those who do not, He simply does not interfere in their lives. He is an equal access God - but that is my opinion on it.

I preface these points because I want to say that God says he is not the God of confusion and I believe someone who lives with that condition and turns to God, will eventually have that confusion cleared up for them one way or another. I make no attempt to answer what the end result will be I think that will vary with each individual and their personal relationship with God and their level of faith.

I tend to believe we all have a handi-cap of some kind though some are more visual than others. Is trans-gender a handi-cap? Call it what you like, it is still a condition that those who have it must live with  and I am sure they find themselves impaired from it at some level in their life, just as if they were blind, or had palsy.  Surely they are discriminated against now and again, that can be an impairment. And I am sure it has its mental tax on them now and again too.

I believe God can and will heal the issues of our lives if we let him. But you have let him drive the car and too often we are too busy in the drivers seat to move over regardless of whether we are trans-gendered, or whatever condition we have.

I have to say yes, a person could be a trans-gendered pastor, because there is not one person in the Bible that God called to do his work that was perfect. No, not one. We are all as filthy rags, we have all gone astray. Those without sin cast the first stone.

Whether or not people would accept them as a pastor, is another matter all together. Certainly some would and God wants to reach everyone. Jesus came to save sinners, those without sin, don't need him. Its that simple.

Too often as Christians we are too busy looking at someone's sin and forget we are all as filthy rags ourselves. God can and does use anyone who will do as He calls them to do, but if they continue to play with sin He can take them out of that role just as fast. (There is a difference in being a sinner, and playing with sin.) A sinner is merely a descendent of Adam and Eve, playing with sin, is willfully disobeying God. Adam and Eve sinned by eating a piece of fruit; puts it in perspective I think.

Good question, and this is all just my opinion.
      - Harlan

1. Harlan Colt profile image79
        Harlan Coltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also, you say that once they make up their minds which sex that want to be, they are no longer in confusion. That sounds nice, but it may not necessarily be true, yes it can be true, but that does not make it true in every case. One can make a wrong decision about something because they thought they were sure about it, and find out later - oops I was wrong. It happens everyday in nearly every office and every job. No? Turns out just this morning, I thought my lazy son was upstairs sleeping in when he needed to be working on the brakes on his truck. Turns out - he was up and working on his brakes... I was wrong! Good job son!

- Harlan

2. Dave Mathews profile image61

Harlan: You make some excellent points hereand I agree with what you have to say totally. The only question that remains in my mind is should the candidate reveal this change in their life, if it never arises?

6. kwade tweeling profile image81

Dave, that depends on what religion you are talking. Some are very open to it, others will likely never allow it.

tweeling: If it never came up in discussion and was never revealed, how would anyone know?

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

A Trans-priest???

There is NO WAY Optimus Prime should be allowed into a Church!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HgPZTxiZsSI/SkIRkAxSEoI/AAAAAAAABL8/JO4tBzsjWTg/s400/optimus+prime.jpg

1. thebrucebeat profile image60
      thebrucebeatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But all humans are welcome.

2. kwade tweeling profile image81

Optimus is awesome. I'd let him in mine. I'd let him preach his moral standard in fact. Optimus has a pretty strong moral compass.

3. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Why should being trans-gender be any different from being blonde, or hispanic, or wheelchair bound?  It's who you are, your faith in the Lord, and your ability to minister to his people that matter, not what you look like or what sex you are.

Disturbia: Fully I agree with what you say. The question remains though: Should the candidate be forthcoming about their change or say nothing unless asked?

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how it's anybody's business.  Does the dentist need tell you that he wears dentures?  I think it's personal and should remain so and the candidate shouldn't have to volunteer any information about being trans-gender unless they want to.  However, if asked directly, I believe they should respond honestly and be forthcoming with the truth.

Disturbia: I fully agree with you on this 101% it is a personal issue, but if asked directly be straight-forward and honest. It should not make a difference.

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 12 years ago

David,
    By all accounts, Pastors are regarded by the Christian doctrine, based on Torah. So whether or not it "shouldn't make a difference" is genuinely irrelevant. If one adheres to the doctrine, then all the rules of that doctrine must be followed. Same as anything else, be it mechanics, laboratory tests, academic scoring, gene splicing, what have you. If the rules are constantly being altered to satisfy mere fragments, then the core purpose and those items themselves become increasingly unstable. And in some cases ultimately of little or no value to the greater good.

Gender stability is a huge issue in Christianity, Islam and Judaism which accounts for nearly 6.9 of the 7.4 billion humans. Gender stability and self control are the founding principles of a better and healthier society --which is where all three sectors base their morality. Therefore, if one is to be an instructor of such beliefs and morals, they themselves must also be stable in mind, body and spirit --the unified morality, the unified human.

Just because modern science has invented what some call the "gender escape clause", through the use of hormones and plastic surgery,  doesn't mean it holds any weight in these sectors.

James

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is there Christian doctrine that specifically addresses "gender stability?"

1. profile image0

Not specifically, to my knowledge.
        Most is geared toward males, notably regarding Sodom and such acts of sexuality like the public rape of 'fresh males', multiple 'taking' of a female by males, bondage, domination, forced feminization --dating back thousands of years. I know for certain Torah is full of such stories, which many of the Christians are not fully aware of. The Christian, Islamic and Judeo texts all speak heavily regarding the sexual nature and self control of the individual, within the natural (non-medical influenced) procreation order. From some work I am doing, I see a direct correlation between the nature of a persons sexuality and their spiritual nature.

I am also aware, it is quite an issue now plaguing Catholicism because of ramped acts and the larger organized sects with regard to female or male sexual choice, conduct and ministry instruction. Moreover, if anyone is going to instruct a moral code, they must adhere to the full measure of that code of conduct, in order to receive rights as an instructor and to any measure create a valid reason to learn it or degree it.

James

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)