I'm Leaving!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (64 posts)
  1. profile image0
    andycoolposted 12 years ago

I joined HP almost nine months ago, I've achieved 10K page-views a few days ago (1st June). I knew that HP is dying a slow but steady death. I raised the issue in the forums: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/71542#post1556430
    But I had to prove to myself that I can write... so from February to May I wrote 50+ hubs and achieved 9000+ views... I think it's quite an achievement post Panda! At the end of January my hub views were merely at around 1K with 10/12 hubs.

Now I think it's time to leave! Thank you all! Good bye forever!!!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be Cool Andy!   smile

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

where are you going?  Are you going to continue to write?  Was it you that said recently you were raking it in with HP earnings?
      I've been here nearly a year, have around 50 hubs & have just gotten over 40,000 views. Hasn't converted to much money though.  I only write about stuff I'm interested in.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Andy, you've written 50 Hubs and now you're leaving?

I sincerely hope you're leaving those Hubs published!  If you delete them, you'll never see their full potential.

2. TheWhisper profile image60
    TheWhisperposted 12 years ago

Don't leave just yet! Write a book and promote it here!!!

3. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 12 years ago

Wishing you all the best!

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not saying not to leave...but...

Did the challenge of writing 50+ hubs make you a better writer? Don't you think HP had anything to do with that?

It seems to me that now you have gained some confidence as a writer you wish to dump the site that helped you developed your talent.

Forgive me for saying this but it seems a bit ungrateful to me.

How does publishing 50 hubs make one a better writer?  And how has HP helped improve the quality of the writing by this challenge?

Perhaps I am missing something here?  smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are missing the fact that HP (or, OK, it could have been a thousand other sites, but in this case it was HP) gave this hubber an opportunity to write and publish. It is a FACT that the more you write, the better you get. So doing a challenge makes you a better writer.

Sorry Izzy, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.  Hp gives anyone a chance to write here hoping the writer will earn the company money.  I fail to believe it is out of the goodness of their hearts they are doing this, but for the possible income the writer may provide for the site.

Yes, HP allows us to publish our articles here, but I can truthfully state they have had very little to do with either my style or method of writing.  In fact, we are lucky if they even deign to comment on questions we are concerned with here.

But perhaps you have had someone from the staff help you in some way I am not aware of.  If so, I am willing to hear about it.

Also, I don't really believe writing lots of crap is better than writing a little crap.  But this is merely my humble opinion and it means little here anyway!  smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
              IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I knew how to break a comment up to make points on each sentence, but I don't so therefore can't.

So we'll go for the overall situation.

Of course HP is a business, although this is not immediately obvious to the novice writer.

For a while, though not so much these days, it was a way to write online and get readership.

I had a couple of blogs before I started here, but knew nothing about SEO, web promotion, even Adsense. All new to me, so I was surprised to learn about all of it.

My blogs weren't serious stuff - more like an online diary at the start, a way to express myself.

But unemployment forced me into looking for a way to make money, and that is why I started here.

I had a huge learning curve ahead of me.

I used to write a lot when I was younger. I'm told I was good at it. I always wanted to write a book (Still haven't).

It is true that the more you write, the better you get, in any field, under any situation, unless you are illiterate, and sadly we have some illiterate people here who do not seem to realise that they can't, in fact, write.

Loads of otherwise intelligent people, who have great stories to tell, or great experiences to share, struggle with basic grammar and spelling. English seems to be one of those subjects you can either do, or can't.

But for those who can, the more they write, the better they get. Some of my earlier hubs are shocking IMO.

It hasn't got anything to do with feedback from other writers, or from staff, it's all got to do with the standard the writer sets himself (or herself).

That's all I was trying to say.

Then we are in basic agreement, Izzy.  Sure, HP gives us the platform to throw a thought out there, but ultimately, it is up to us to succeed or fail in almost any writing venue.

Like yourself, I had to learn about SEO and other aspects of internet writing without any background in either writing or computers.  I published my first article only a few years ago and am still trying to find out if I can indeed succeed as a writer.

I have sold a few creative writing pieces to publishers and this gives me a good feeling about my efforts at the craft.  I have dealt with content sites before and my experiences with them have not been pleasant for the most part.

I'm not accusing HP of doing anything illegal, mind you, but they are in this to make money and will use us or discard us depending on the money involved.  I suspect I have made them much more money than they have made me. 

I'm not ungrateful, just realistic!  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

So you're saying you think HubPages lies about the percentage it pays its writers?

I don't think we get paid a percentage at all, Marisa.  Sure, we get a percentage of the Adsense and Amazon sales time our hubs are displayed, but I'm not pleased at the way it's done.

If HP wanted to be upfront with the program, they could simply take the first, or last, 24 minutes of each hour and give us the other 36 minutes.  We would always know when our hubs had our affiliate codes activated and when HPs were.

I just find it strange when my best performing hub has HPs code on it during the peak performing hours, sometimes for several hours at a time.  Or when the red arrows are shown because traffic is booming and when checked, guess whose codes are displayed.

No, I don't completely trust HP not to manipulate the time share to their benefit.  You do see how this might appear as a way HP may make more money than us with a smaller time share, don't you?

Using my suggestion of the hour split would allow the writers to check any hub during our time share and know we are being treated fairly.  Being able to change the codes when a hub suddenly starts to get lots of views gives HP an advantage over the writers as anyone can see.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
        IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto

It takes dedication and hard work to be successful here, pre panda or post panda.  Lord knows we all have had our struggles here.  So get over it and be a good hubber or leave and be a quiter.  But stop wasting forum space.

1. profile image0
          andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Nobody wants a wanker around."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wanker

Going to report.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Please.   Report all you want.  As you can see they did nothing.  lol

2. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What sort of BS Post are YOU making here IE?
          I don't believe that the OP deserves your venomous and trashy post!

Why does leaving this site make someone a quitter or a wanker?
          I think the lack of ethical transparency and clear lack of direction and respect for a wide range of quality people by certain members of management here.. provides ample logical reason for many to pull the pin on this place! sad

Maybe YOU ought to have a good look around the base of your Ivory Tower and start casting such derogatory remarks to EVERY OTHER Level Headed person who has left this Rudderless Site!

Have a look at the latest Alexia promos from management.. and you may well understand WHY So Many Intelligent writers and marketers have left here, having accurately identified the real wankers in the forums! big_smile

Amazing! roll

Testy.  My bad.  I apologize.

Testy.  My bad.  I apologize.  Don't you have a cat to bathe somewhere or something?  Seriously.lol

4. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

Best wishes.

I have respectfully disagree with the post that the OP was ungrateful because HP made him a better writer.  HP does nothing of the sort.  HP is a place to put your writing and they make money off the work of others.  That is not a putdown, just the truth.

He did it himself and only has himself to pat on the back.  And HP made money off of what he did.  Nothing to be grateful for.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I understand that HP uses me for my content, not that it has made them very much money.  But as far as I'm concerned that's just business - it's a free place to publish and share revenue, however fairly.

As regards HP making me a better writer though... I totally agree.

I believe I have improved from where I started (not difficult) and that comes from practice (yes, still my own efforts) but also from encouragement and feedback.

I honestly could not have wished for a better place to start my writing career and I will try to be grateful and remember that if I ever move on.

1. profile image0
      andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I joined HP on 11th September, 2010. Since I’m from India I had to wait for 6 months before applying for AdSense. Finally I got approval for AdSense on 15th March. I turned on HP AdProgram a month later. I’ve earned $18 in these two and half months.

One may wonder why I am leaving. Well, the way HP treats the writers tells something about their business model. I agree with Randy Godwin in this respect. What HP pays attention to is only for their own monetary gains. They don’t make any visible effort to make us believe it’s us who make money for them. Without quality writers I’m not sure how a writing business can survive.

HP is one of the early movers in the content and revenue sharing business. It’s quite clear the site pays little (read no) attention for long term well being of the people who earn them for long. HP has become HP today for people like us who contributed their hard work and loved the site. When I raised the issue “HP is Dying” I realized how much the writers love the site! But the management of this site is now busy trying to appease Google at the cost of their valuable writers.

What does it convey to a novice writer… so long as you make money for them they will love you. But ultimately you’re puppets at their whimsical attitude. Since I’m from a business family I know what relationship means… maintaining a good relationship with your clients or customers is the key for the long term success of any business. 

I’ll never forget HP because I started my online career here. I enjoyed sharing my thoughts in the forums… sometimes I became a bit rude to some people… but I didn’t want to hurt anyone. All I wanted was to make you aware that HP is dying… probably today some of you are realizing I wanted to care for you. When I raised my voice for 80-20 revenue sharing some of you misunderstood me. Again I did that for the writers.

Thank you Randy Godwin, Baileybear, Marisa Wright, TheWhisper, Ladybird33, Cardisa, IzzyM, bgpappa, Mark Ewbie, Pcunix, Mark Knowles, ryankett and many others who helped me to become whatever I’m today! I have miles to go before I sleep! Thanks for tolerating me this long… I LOVE YOU ALL… because I’m a writer first, then an online businessman!

1. profile image0

all the best with new ventures.  I'm trying new things - I've started my first website & am now starting a blog.  I'm leaving my hubs here but currently aren't adding any more

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

And you're saying that's not enough?  Your Hubs are "young" - assuming they're original content and well written, they're only just starting to mature and they have their best earnings ahead of them.  If you delete them now, you waste all that 'age'.

Move on by all means, but leave your Hubs here for another six months, then come back and see how they're doing.  If they're still not earning then, take them elsewhere - but wait and see first!

6. ethel smith profile image83
    ethel smithposted 12 years ago

Maybe you should leave your account open, go and do your stuff, and perhaps in the future you will return. I had a break from Hubbing. I made goos money at a site which was corrupt. In the end although I gained I did not want to be a part of it.
    Go sow some writing oats and maybe you will want to return in the future

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Yeah I agree with everyone else. By all means leave, but keep your work here - otherwise you will lose the 'ageing' it has already acquired.

You can always use your hubs to backlink your new work elsewhere, which is great if you continue to write around similar subjects.

8. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years ago

Andy, good luck to you mate, I would leave all your hubs here though, some need time to reach there full potential.

9. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

dont want to spoil the leaving party, but are not you the person who said they would write 1000 hubs in a year ( i think this was two weeks ago) and I have been diligently following since then?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Andy also said that he would stop writing on the forums after upsetting hubbers with his attitude and receiving criticism.   And then he proceeded to carry on posting on here.  So it will be interesting to see if this goodbye actually happens...

10. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

yes, could be interesting- however the hubs are quite decent

Try Googling some of his paragraphs is all I'll say!  ;-)

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i did wonder- but hoped that maybe it was a good emerging writer !

2. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, see what you mean!

11. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

If you are leaving what is the point of reporting someone?

12. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Can I just say that I didn't need a dictionary definition?  It's almost a term of endearment in our household.

Mine too.

It was really not meant to be hateful.  But damn.  Allow me to apologize and just say that nobody likes a complaining quiter.  At least not where I am from.

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Bye. Good luck. smile

14. Carolyn2008 profile image40
    Carolyn2008posted 12 years ago

I turned to HubPages when the other web site I wrote for changed their guidelines. All original articles required, same as here. But, the web site retains full rights to my articles for one year. Here, I like the fact that my articles are not held hostage if I want to move them to another web site.

Also, at the other web site, you get paid based on your rates on other writers. You only make money if you have rating stars on file. That become difficut; I felt forced to rate other writers in order to make money. I don't always have that kind of time. I prefer hub hopping, which is voluntary and informative. I try to make comments, but I admit not all the time. 

I believe hub hopping has made me a better writer. I see what others have written, and realize I need to step up my game. The forums, other hubbers, and The Learning Center have helped improve my articles. I can always edit and enhance them.

Last, every web site has its own culture of writers. In researching web sites, I like HubPages the most. The hubbers are frank, friendly, and informative. My attendance at the Boston Hub Camp in May sealed the deal for me.

I feel right now that I am better qualified to submit my writings to magazines and newspapers. I have increased my confidence level due to what I learned here.

Returning to HubPages has been more than money for me. I think that if you make the committment to any web site, you can improve your writing skills and the ability to make money both at the web site and other venues. Who says you can't do both?

I hope you keep your articles here, AndyCool. There is a period of time you have to allow for your followers and marketing efforts to catch up. I wish you success as you seek a web site that better suits your creativy and ability to make money.

Another former Helium writer, I assume?  Helium is one of the sites giving me experience in how the writers may be manipulated to the company's benefit and to the detriment of the writers.

They do it legally, of course, but ethically these type sites leave much to be desired.  I don't know of any content sites which are completely open with it's writers as far as the revenue share split is concerned.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

You're referring to Helium, I think!   HubPages may be in a slump right now, but it's still doing a lot better than Helium - so if you like it here, don't worry about the naysayers and keep writing!

1. GoingOnline profile image60
        GoingOnlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And if Hubpages doesn't work for you... you can still delete your content and use it elsewhere! Or just leave it here and make whatever money it makes.

Exclusive + permanent rights in exchange for just ad revenue it's like working and hoping that you'll get paid if your boss got laid and it's on a good mood.

15. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Amen.  But quiters usually don't understand that way of thinking.  They expect it all without producing quality articles.  And waste space in the forums complaining about it.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to ask.... What's a "quiter?" You've used it several times, but I couldn't find it in the dictionary. Is that like a "wanker?"

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile  I was just about to comment about that...you know, IE, if a misspelled word is used often enough by a writer, the message becomes lost-the error glares!!

Not so much as an error.  my phone changes the word to "acquitted."  So...  it is what it is, let it "glare!!"  Anytime i try to type your hubber's name it puts out "lore." 

You have both have been here as long as me.  Have you ever known me to need a spelling lesson?wink

I am typing from my knew Samsung infuse cell and i cannot get it to stop text wrapping....  So needless to say thats how it wants to type the word.  Its not letting me add the t.  So...  it is what it is.  I haven't figured it out yet.   But please feel free to poke fun at my level of intelligence or question it all u like.  Cause I've got to use the darn thing to get use to it.  Too expensive to just quit using it.lol

16. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Andy, it all depends on why you write, on Blogger I have over 500,000 hits, on Hubpages I have only a portion of that, however, I write for fun and so use as many forums as possible, if you want to make money you should consider using Blogger as well as Hubpages, I have just finished doing a massive amount of research on SEO etc and I will be publishing these papers here over the coming weeks, I began by publishing a short paper here today, dont do anything harsh just yet smile

1. profile image0

wow, 500,000 hits on blogger

17. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

People who post "I'm leaving" threads are just looking for attention.

Not always!  Sometimes they are ticked off at the way things are being handled here and wish to make a statement about it.  I could accuse you of commenting just to get attention.  Just saying!  smile

Andy Cool has a major history of attention seeking if you follow the forums, Randy.  :-)

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
          Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that, too.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Not disagreeing with you in this particular case, Paul.  Just saying it is not necessarily always the motive behind someone's leaving.  smile

That said, attention seeking is just a character flaw, not a major sin. 

Stealing and plagarizing other people's work is a big problem, however, and given that, I am glad to see the end of the Andy Cool profile

(even if I suspect that there are other HP profiles owned by the same person!)

You are correct in this case, Paul.  Believe it or not, I have been accused of having a character flaw myself!  Hard to believe, ain't it!  smile

2. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep I agree - bye bye whoever you were.

18. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

My impression is that the person behind the "Andy Cool" profile has other identities, so I wouldn't get too emotional about him leaving folks!

19. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Good luck and good bye.

20. Gina Coole profile image59
    Gina Cooleposted 12 years ago

Seems Andy is still with us.  Is this a prolonged exit or is this a change of heart?  I'm a simple soul who was shocked when attention seeking was mentioned.  Could you cynics actually be right?

Anyway I too may be leaving.  Please read my hubs before I delete them, slam the door and walk! (only kidding! smile)

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wait a second...andycool...Gina Coole...

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  !  lol  !  lol   !

2. Gina Coole profile image59
        Gina Cooleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, No.  We are not related and I'm no sock puppet! smile

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I liked your post - the irony of asking others to look at one's hubs by flouncing off.  But I'm sure you do see that it actually is kind of funny to notice the similarity in the names.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)