The greatest civilizations of all time are...

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (42 posts)
  1. BakerRambles profile image70
    BakerRamblesposted 12 years ago

In my views, I would have to state that the top 5 civilizations of all time would be:
    1). Persia (Expansion, Tribute System)
    2). Egypt. (Cultural Diversity)
    3). Rome. (Citizen Soldiers, Road Infrastructure)
    4). Great Britain. (Industrial Revolution)
    5). Greece/Macedonia. (Rise of Hellenism, Sharing of scientific and moral ideas)

Share with me, what do you think?  Any more, maybe take one away, switch it up.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You didn't include China. Many advances in science, agriculture, medicine, etc.

BakerRamblesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

China is definitely growing, and their political education system, the Chinese civil service examinations helped to form the educational institutions of modern day universitys

2. Freegoldman profile image39
      Freegoldmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The British EMpire was bigger (by land and population) than any other 'civilization.' They also gave up there empire with less trauma than any other, doing a lot of good in the process (though there is no denying that a lot of that good came undone very quickly).

The Inca empire was far better organized and run than any other empire in history and it was big by any standard. It is the only civilization ever, anywhere, any time, that eliminated hunger universally. Most of its expansion was without a great deal of bloodshed.

I think these two 'civilizations' were the greatest but because they were so different they can not be compared to one another.

I don't think the term "western civilization' means something specific enough to count as a separate entity.
      Source(s):
      Various about the British, esp James Morris's trilogy
      Various about the Incas, esp Garcilaso de la Vega, El Inca, Royal Commentaries (history of the Inca Empire)

3. Obscure_Treasures profile image57
      Obscure_Treasuresposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although based on slavery, ancient Greece was the place wherein was religious freedom. Some of the present administrations have learnt much from this period. And some never will, particularly which country has the power to , as a USA general once said " We have the power to blow up the world a 1000 times", Such ignorance is highly dangerous to his country.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

None!

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With you on that Cags! The Incas and Mayans weren't smart enough not to sacrifice or start wars either.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
        IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Again you two seem to only want to look at this question one sided.  Yes did they kill, sure did.  But they were mathematical geniuses.  There is no denying their contributions to civilization. 

The original poster didn't ask for the "perfect" civilizations only the greatest.  Huge differences!!!  I would rate your twos opinion as only accepting the "perfect" & not the greatest.  When you rate something as great you take into account the overall good with the bad.  In my humble opinion the civilizations that i listed, good out ways the bad.  Now if we are to judge something as perfect....   well that's entirely different set of standards.  Hence you two are being extremely shortside on this topic.  Technically your standards don't even apply here.  Nobody is perfect, not even you two.wink

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not looking at the question one-sided. I am answering the question based on objectivity, which apparently you cannot see.
          No one is denying their contributions to humankind. But, that still doesn't make them to have greatness
          Really? Oh, I am glad you told me. Now I know.

It's not like I didn't to begin with. And, I didn't mention anything about a "perfect" civilization. I did however mention being civilized, which you are not reading or comprehending.
          And, you should know something IntimatEvolution- "perfect" isn't something any civilization, even as a collective can obtain. So, why bring it up to begin with. Greatness? Only works for individuals, NOT as a collective, unless you want reach civilized living. Got it?

I can see just fine thank you. I got it alright.  You aren't being "objective" your being closed minded and insensible about the subject matter in which is clearly over your head. 

So what's too see?  Your arguments about greatness when your standards are quite clearly set as judging a collective based off perfections?  Why pay attention to nonsense that isn't even on topic?  No thank you, I will pass.

Over my head? You're kidding right?

Put it this way, if you are going to give credit to a specific civilization for specific contributions and call them great, then you obviously lack understanding of LIFE in and of, itself.

GET OFF "perfections". Do you NOT comprehend words written?
              You're the one bring up junk and making it appear as if a singular contribution makes them great. How pathetic is that?

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

To answer your email- None!

How would you rate "greatest" when it comes to civilizations?

None of the were actually civilized.

Edit: None are now either.

So what do you think makes a civilization great?  What is a Civilization?

If I truly could answer your question, I would rule or run the world. lol
        I only know of one civilization. It's the collective Human species and ALL should lead by example, by showing people how civilized they can be.

None in history has ever shown that quality, as a group or as an entire species.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

I think much could be learned from the Babylonian, Mayan, and Inca's Empires.

Many people could learn from themselves, much less learn from others. The learning from others is what is the problem already. lol

2. BakerRambles profile image70

Oh yes, the Mayan, inca, and Babylonian cultures all displayed emmaculant studies in astronomy and mathematics, and Babylon created a law system that is still in use among many Arab countries today.

5. IntimatEvolution profile image68

What's so humerous?  I think your opinion is extremely shortsided.  I hardly think that's funny...  Concerning yes, lol funny...  I think not.

Short-sighted? Not at all. You want to give credit for greatness, to people who simply haven't actually earned it.

How nice of you. So, yes, it's funny.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

Well cagsil, if you can't give credit to one particular nation or empire, then what great philosophers lived within what countries and why do you think their great?

Again, you're attempting to nail it down.

Why? Yes, there are exceptional individuals, but there has never been exceptional collective, which is my point.

Well if there could be a collective of 5 exceptional individuals that could rule a nation, beside yourself of course, who do you think that would be?

Why do you keep changing the dynamics of your original post to fit the needs of one poster?  He hasn't given you a decent public answer yet.  Why conform your original post to fit the needs of one complicant hubber, who was only baiting you in the firstplace?

Stand your ground for petesake.  You asked a very good question.  Now all your wishy-washy around has muddled your original question, all for not.  What end will you go to gain acceptance from them?  Get a clue he was trolling and baiting you.  He does that.

Strange./:

I was doing neither. roll

2. Cagsil profile image70

That's the point. There isn't nor has there ever been exceptional individuals who could work together long enough to develop a great civilization. Otherwise, humankind would have already developed a civilized great nation, completely united under one specific collective view.

6. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

The USA, by far.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Cags I am not going to debate this topic with you.  Your standards are clearly not within the realms of reality here.  You want perfection.  Greatness is not perfection.  So us debating semantics here is absurd.  Now when you want to debate on topic I would love too.  But until then your points are mute because they are irrational and so I choose to pass.  Thanks though, but until you are on point with the original posters requirements I am not going to debate this with you.wink

If you are judging something based off perfections then you should really start your own thread based on that.

Then you shouldn't have responded to my first comment I posted to you. You should have just left it alone.
      Not within reality? Too bad you don't understand "reality" to begin with, much less tell whether or not someone is within it.

8. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Thanks again Cags but......

Pass.

Next?  I know I would love to read what you hubbers have to say is your view on other "great" civilizations of our past history.

Expected response. Nothing new. roll

9. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Todays civilizaions should be considered the greatest! At no time has education , technology, communication , global politi-zation , political unity or multi cultural -religious understanding, and global media been stronger or clearer and potentialy closer than before.

I was wondering when someone might say our civilization.  You make a very strong point.  The technology aspect alone is worthy of the title.

10. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Pass.

Thanks again Cags.  But again I see how you don't want to contribute anything of worth on the subject matter...... yet again! 

Thanks for proving my point.

Oh by the way your idiosyncratic responses are hijacking this thread. 

What are some greatest civilizations of all time?  Not perfect but great.

roll

You know, I am not attempting to claim any civilization is perfect, but NONE of them are great, including today.

If we're so great....then why so much killing? why so much poverty? why so much homelessness? why so much disease?

Please...greatness value people are putting on a civilization is ridiculous.

11. NathanielZhu profile image65
    NathanielZhuposted 12 years ago

It all depends on what you mean by "great"

12. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

Where are the Incas and the Mayans now, Hmmmm?

13. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Cagsil, World Media and communications alone make todays civilization  the greatest. Be serious , past civilizations had the ability to rule with the definate lack of these. They could hide behind the ignorance of the mass populations . If you were a Roman , what did you know of the Mayans , or native American what did you know of France or Greece. All civilizations today are at least somewhat accountable to the rest of the world. Hitler ruled most of Europe before the media actually convinced anyone else to hold them accountable. AND, what do we know of history except what was written by the victors in any case. Personally , I would vote for another time too, but I'm prejudiced by my disdain for man in modern times.

Oh, good to know.

Thank you everyone for posting your opinions, I appreciate everyones feedback from both ancient civilizations to modern civilizations and how influence and mass media has caused heavy changes in accountability factors

14. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

The most advanced civilisations have also been the cruelest.  Ancient Rome brought modern technology and fine works of art to all outposts of their empire.  Yet, it also enslaved many people and enjoyed the most blood-thirsty entertainments.  The British Empire was the biggest empire the world has ever known, with one quarter of the world's population being ruled by Britain.  This time is considered to be the height of British culture and civilisation, yet it was an empire based on slavery and the theft and destruction of many native cultures.  And whilst Britain became rich from its empire, most of the British population were living in unimaginable poverty.  So, it depends what you mean by greatest civilisation.

15. june_le6 profile image61
    june_le6posted 12 years ago

Egypt, coz when other civilization still make some cooking tools they already made piramids >.<, they also had calender and astronomy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)