The LDS believe Unwed mothers should give up their children

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image53
    passingthewordposted 12 years ago

Former LDS (Prophet) President Gordon B. Hinckley said
    When the probability of a successful marriage is unlikely, unwed parents should be encouraged to place the child for adoption, preferably through LDS [Family] Services” (“Policies and Announcements,” Ensign, Apr. 1999, 80).

When marriage is not possible, experience has shown that adoption, difficult though this may be for the young mother, may afford a greater opportunity for the child to live a life of happiness. Wise and experienced professional counselors and prayerful bishops can assist in these circumstances.” President Gordon B. Hinckley, “Save the Children,” Ensign, Nov. 1994, 53.

Wow this is sad.

1. myriadmom profile image61
      myriadmomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I don't think it's sad - especially because without an understanding of the belief system and practice of the church and the process of the LDS Family Services, these few sentences can easily be taken out of context for most people.

Might I ask pose a question? Forgive me for being forward and for, perhaps, jumping to conclusions (hence posing the question) but you seem to not only be anti-LDS, but rather intent on creating an anti-LDS atmosphere. Am I mistaken? If so, may I ask why?  Just curious, I suppose. Of course, I'm not bashing or condemning you, just curious.

1. profile image53
        passingthewordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is your definition of anti LDS?
        What we define it as, is anything that contradicts LDS doctrine.
        Where does God say that someone should give up their child if they made a mistake.
        all I  want to do is share with people what has been hid from me all of my life.

I was asking because it seems that most of the posts that I noticed you start (and I apologize for the generalization especially since I don't know about all the posts you started), seem to be based on something the LDS did or believe but only give a few sentences of information.  For most humans, that will lead to a lot of jumping to conclusions and, as we know, that leads to arguments and ugliness.

I'm not a prophet nor an apostle so I won't lay claim to what God says or doesn't say on any matter other than myself. I only pay attention to what the Supreme says to be directly and about me directly and that's between me and Him.

I do love your want to share with others your thoughts and opinions and I completely understand things being "hidden". That's one of the reasons I decided to become eduated in Religion but from an academic and literary standpoint.

and I just noticed how atrocious my second paragraph is hahaha .. never try to edit a post when you're in the middle of two projects at work hahaha.  Sorry about that.

1. profile image53

no need for apologies, it is all good. I am very passionate about this. I grew up in the LDS faith and i have to tell you when i was getting ready for my mission i was told to lie. The biggest thing that they put in my head was "you misunderstood, or your taking it out of contents." most of the things i shared were the things i was told to lie about. Another thing I was told to tell people was, "you are not ready for the meat you still need milk." If someone would question the church you are lacking in faith and you basically blackballed. If you want to learn more You should go to my brother in law's web page rulds.weebly.com. I am going to put this on the hub.
              In my experience in the church, which it has been almost my whole life. I have to say that The lds church is a cult....
              why do i say that? because you ether do it the LDS way or you are wrong, hell bound, unable to make it to the celestial heaven. Just like in the first vision, every other church is an abomination. Now The church wants to be politically correct so they use Other churches not the truth but not the whole truth. You see how they change their verbiage and almost their whole belief just to please man not God.
              there is so much to say but Ill stop here.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is sad!

1. profile image53

I know, It is sad that they believe this crap. To tell a loving mother that she is not good enough to raise her own child because things did not work out in her favor. It is sad that the LDS church bullies their people.

3. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see this as a sad thing. It looks to me like, single parents are being afforded options for thier children to have a better life than what the single parent might be able to give the child at the time. I see nothing that says it is mandatory, only suggested option.

The LDS does seem to be attempting to help thier own. Even though I don't agree with thier doctrine, I can't knock them attempting to lend assistance to thier own.

1. profile image53

To tell a loving mother that she is not good enough to raise her own child because things did not work out in her favor. It is sad that the LDS church bullies their people.
        The LDS church should be helping the mom In every why to keep that child. Look after your people not get rid of them. In the bible God saids help the widows help the single parent. no where does it say to get rid of the child.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
          DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Children services takes away children from loving mothers every day...I am not saying it is right or wrong or that I agree with it...but the fact remains...sometimes for the childs best interest, love is just not enough. From what you wrote in your first post, it appear to me that it was offered as options, not a requirement. But if the mother loves and can provide for her child, then being pressure to give up a child is not something I would agree with. But that is not how I read your opening post.

1. profile image53

when i was born my parents were separated. guess what the bishop told my mother to do. He told my mother to give me up. He told her that it would be in her best interest to put me up for adoption. The LDS church does not like to be questioned by their people. They want the final word, if you do question them you are laking in your faith. You will not be apart of the in crowed. In this church when the authorities of the church saids something you do it. that is how the people are brainwashed into thinking. you wont understand it unless you were involved in a cult.
            Well my parent got back together and i have had a wonderful life, minus the Mormon experience.

2. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Why is it sad? So many statistics and studies show that a child is much more likely to endure (and later cause) so many difficulties in a single parent home. The guy encourages young mothers to give their children a better chance, how is that bad in any way? I certainly prefer that option to the one where the girl is encouraged to kill the baby by abortion instead.

Besides, since so many mothers are praised for working 2 or 3 jobs as a single mother, since that's considered so wonderful, you have to see that she isn't raising her kids anyway. Who is?

To me, the best choice of all would be to "adopt" the baby AND the mother together into a family.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)