Belief?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)
  1. hschica profile image61
    hschicaposted 12 years ago

This is something I've been thinking about for the past few days... and it goes along with something Earnest said in another thread:

"Christs were a dime a dozen and so were evangelists in the time of christs supposed entry in to the game of "lets brainwash the peasants and earn our keep that way." groups that sprung up at that time.
    Some things remain the same."

My question is, is the fact that Christianity is solely based off of BELIEF in a god you cannot see and is not evident proof of this?

I mean, I never thought about this before, but a whole religion based off of belief in the unknown seems pretty stupid... if god wanted people to believe in him, why wouldn't he just show himself? And if he DOES show himself, like I know a lot of people are going to say, then why does most of the population NOT believe in him?

Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image79
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Death and fear of the unknown is a powerful tool. Some will believe anything that gives an apparent answer to these things.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually what  do you  expect...?
      Men have questions that demand answers...
      Though the answer they cling to might be erroneous that does not negate the fact of the question itself...

When you know that you know all things its then you can stand in judgment  of another..

In the world the risk of man unbelief is great thus determining that the prize of believing is so much greater .

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He says, standing in judgement of all in the name of a proxy.

3. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In contrast, atheists are a dime a dozen, telling us adamantly, that there is NO god.

They gain followers, and a peace of mind, soothing their consciences, of not being accountable to anyone, and quashing the loneliness they otherwise experience. There may be no money in it for them, but the sense of importance feeds the ego.

It all comes down to faith, no matter what anyone tells you! big_smile

Wrong response DJ, and a bunch of bull as well. My conscience is clear.

What crimes would you like to assign to me? Bad parent? Bad person? Liar? Thief?

My life has always been scrutinised by others having spent so much time in one place and owning businesses that became local icons.

I take responsibility for what I do, I don't need a psychotic book to tell me how to bring up my kids, live my life or do the right thing by others.

1. aka-dj profile image65

You gotta chill out on this one.
          I was just having a bit of a dig here.
          Almost made myself laugh. lol

OK. smile

Hey, guess what?

My little granddaughter is about to turn 1

AND, I now have baby 2 due next month.

big_smile

Cool! The twins turned 6 yesterday.
                Another baby? Did I miss one? smile
                Congratulations to you both, children..... loves longing for itself Gibran called them.

Remember, all they need is love and freedom for the first 7 years and they are solid as a rock from then on! smile

Daughter no 2 gave us baby no 1.
                  Now, daughter no1, is about to give is baby no 2.

No babies for my wife & I, We are well past that. lol

Like me. Your babies are having babies then! smile Congratulations on your grandfatherness! lol

I needed a new word there, but that made up one will suffice.

I live with most of mine, and took 3 of them to school this morning as I often do. We usually sing or play games all the way, so I have fun. smile

4. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would depend on ones understanding of God.

In my view...

If the understanding is based solely on an intellectually understanding then belief will play a huge role in ones perception.

On the other hand if there is an understanding (however great or small that might be) on an experiential level, then belief wouldn't play such an important role in ones perception.

Beliefs are temporary in nature and can change any time new information or experiences come to the fore. Some choose to cling to old beliefs, even if, new information or experiences keep invalidating their beliefs. This is when beliefs can hinder any opportunities we might have to expand our awareness about things that are unknown.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Reality can be a lonely place, thus many make up a father figure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)