Isaiah 45:5 and on...

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (51 posts)
  1. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

When God said I am a jealous God...Who or what would God be jealous of?

1. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Israelites love of other gods besides Him.

2. OutWest profile image57
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is in reference to worshipping idols.
      Isaiah 45:5

I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me,

3. Chris Neal profile image79
      Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God would be jealous for the love of His chosen people. Although it says often in the Bible that there are no "other gods," still the Israelites turned to them every chance they got. God was not happy with that. He was jealous the same way a spouse would be jealous for their mate, not unreasonable and abusive but watching out for threats to the relationship and reacting accordingly.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

The irony of an omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient being stooping to such a low(petty) human emotion.

One would think that it would have more self control. lol

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would you be more satisfied if He didn't want your undivided attention and love?

1. lone77star profile image73
        lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant, Brenda!

Take all of the negative, human (selfish) qualities of "jealousy" out of the word, and what you have left may be an approximation of God's loving intent.

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep. Ignore thousands of threats and psychotic scripture in the bible and say it is about love. What a pile of nonsense! lol

Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Brenda, IF a god actually existed, I would prefer it had nothing to do with me at all and not want/desire/need anything from me. roll

2. earnestshub profile image80

A very low human emotion. Comes about through ignorance and pettiness does jealousy. smile
      Nothing to do with love.

3. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

And what if the very human word was only a crude symbol of something in God for which there is no accurate counterpart in our languages?

One can flippantly dismiss biblical passages because they don't want to take the time to understand them. That's fine. Alas, though... their loss.

Or one can find the meaning that might approximate all that could be good about wanting our undivided attention ("jealousy"), and that is compatible with the idea of infinite love. In that mental direction is the true meaning of what was intended.

Unlike what others may so casually say ("Nothing to do with love"), God's actions and intentions are all about love.

That would account for all the people he has ordered to be tortured and killed then. lol

I guess wiping out all but 8 of mankind was the same sort of love was it? lol

1. profile image0
        Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you know how long Noah preached about the flood coming?   It is easy to point fingers and say God did this just to kill because He was on a rant, but to truly understand takes work and study.  Until the door was closed by the hand of God, anyone who wanted to be saved could have gotten on board the ark. 

The reason for the flood was not because of what God did, but what mankind did.  And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Continually evil.  That is such a sad state to be in, don't you think?  Just imagine nothing good at all about people.

You're a riot!
          Hide "the good book" then have a think about what you just said.
          This despotic monster is supposed to have created a sentient life form then wipes them all out bar 8 and you see that as OK.

That my friend would define insanity for me right there. Your explanation as to why it did this defies comment.

1. profile image0
            Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This monster as you called Him is God.  He created man and gave him free will to do as he pleases with consequences to his actions.  Did you teach your children that things they do will have consequences whether good or bad?

Mankind wants to change evil people into good people, but are unable to do so because we lack the power to do it.  What I find ironic is how people will condemn the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, but condone the violence that was wiped out with the flood.  The people were "EVIL CONTINUALLY," in case you missed that part.  Nothing good ever entered their minds and their hearts were black as soot.  Burned out to the core with no good conscience toward their fellow man. Ironic indeed.

No not ironic at all.

Mankind was wiped out as a faulty product by it's maker?

The carpenter blaming the chair.

Omnipotent but got it all wrong?

Had to commit murder or suicide depending on how you see the father son thing... to redeem what he messed up?

What a pile of mythical nonsense!

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like interpreting words written to meet what one wants it to mean. Instead of just reading the words or the whole passage. Ms Dee is correct. It is jealousy of Israel following other gods...nothing more.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Earnests hub , There he is again folks the great religious forum equalizer. Your constant posts in these forums about religion from day to day tell me you are either an imbittered Christian or a warrior of hypocracy!Which is it my bitter friend?

You should see my life ahorsesback it is fabulous. I probably get more done in a day than you do in a week.

You would be so pi**ed off to see me enjoying my days surrounded by my children and love. I don't need your lonely pathetic hate-fest you see. I actually have people who love me who are real..... not mere myths who threaten me in my mind. smile

I don't need to wait hours while the next religious lie occurs to me you see.... this takes me very little time and effort to simply say things that don't have to be dished up out of 2,000 year old myths and carefully recycled adnauseam my bitter friend. smile

5. profile image0

You see , it just seems to me that the irony of spending so much time negating the  faithful for what they do , probably takes AWAY from your enjoyment of life  ! Especially when its the same old dialog!  I would think that happiness in life might include allowing others to freely 'believe 'in what they will! As to my being imbittered , sorry . I don't live there! It really comes down to this Earnest ..live and let live. I think that the bitter ones  are the ones who spend their time dissing the other guy ! For whatever he believes. Those of faith actually "turn the other cheek" to such bitter dialog I'm sure . They have more patience than I when it comes to calling people out that constantly dis- anything about the  religious faithful. And you sir are one of those. Have a nice day Earnest!

I do live and let live real well thanks.

I await the day when hubpages forums are about things that interest writers instead of a place for the religiously impaired to flog ridiculous religious myths.

Until people stop ramming their religious crud, I will be here along with others who don't want their children held back by a bunch of Neanderthals telling us we are going to hell in a hand basket. Easy!

6. profile image0

Virgil says it best "God gave people free will" so why be a perpetual critic if you have the free will to ignore the faithful! If you chose to not believe it might seem logical to ignore those who do ! Not to constantly dis- them!

7. profile image0

So you do live and let live here on the forums BUT await the day when those of faith can't.......?  :-}

Those of myth can do whatever the hell they like in private.

What don't you and the other god botherers not understand about flogging your religious crap on a forum, and threatening people with your hate filled tomes?

Take it to a religious site and leave the forums for real discussions would be a great start.

It's about time hubpages closed the religious forums altogether, they have no place here on a writers site.

If you don't like the truth you can leave any time you like as far as I'm concerned.

1. profile image0

Gee, do you also have handcuffs and hankies to bind and gag us all with, earnest?  And where'd you put the ashes after you burned the First Amendment? Not very tolerant are ya?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

The first amendment doesn't apply to Earnest, He isn't American.

And speaking of the first amendment, in the USA, we are each free to observe any religion that we wish. Attempting to infringe on others religious beliefs is not part of that amendment.

You are free to claim anything you wish, regarding your religion and others are free to ridicule or rebut those claims if you choose to publicize them. It all falls under freedom of speech.

1. profile image0

Even more reason he shouldn't speak against American policy!

I must have missed that part.? I didn't see him speaking against policy?

1. profile image0

Freedom of speech is an American policy.
                And American policy is also predominantly based on Biblical principles.
                Which, actually, if one wants to pick at this subject, upholds Christian discussion and condemns anti-Christian discussion AND anti-Christian religions under the rules of common sense and right and wrong.  The fact that our modern lawmakers sometimes decide to tolerate far-Left anti-Christian rhetoric is a testament to the fact that we impart grace to people.  Sometimes way too often really.  And that we've allowed portrayers of nonsense into our legal system.   It's a result of such things as timidity in vetting leaders and unwillingness to profile even a person's character.  It's becoming a free-for-all.  People have no manners and are no longer called upon to consider their consciences.

I am not going to debate this issue as I am sure we would disagree. But, as I am active duty military, I will defend our freedoms to the death. And that includes all freedoms, not just those of a certian few.

1. profile image0

That's good to know. Our military force doesn't always get the respect and support it should get.

Oh WOW! Ridiculously absurd.
                  Common sense and religion should never be used into the same sentence.
                  Again, your religious beliefs should be absorbed into your life and stay out of other people's life.
                  Nonsense? Yes, there's a lot of it coming from government and so much more coming from citizens too.
                  A person's character? What in the world would you know about character of the individual? roll
                  Equality is the goal. Not tyrant religious rule.
                  Look in the mirror and say that.

It isn't tolerance that is needed Brenda, it's common sense. smile
          Why have a religious forum on a writers site?
          Why do the religiously insane have to peddle their shonky wares here?

3. earnestshub profile image80

You reckon you are in a position to talk about tolerance Brenda?

2. Davidsonofjesie profile image60
        Davidsonofjesieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are only happy when you are cutting the throats of people expressing there reglious views , If it bothers you so much just go to a forum for super happy people who hates Christians

8. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

Hi Y'all,sorry I missed all the fun,I was busy making a living...but I'M BAaack.I see every one's getting along as usual Ha!
    OK,someone mentioned"Live and let live"...that would be nice But,as we've seen with our Muslim extremest brothers who become more and more numbered as time goes by...that is a dangerous game.
    The problem is[regardless of whether you believe or not,and this includes all religions]when THEY outnumber YOU...guaranteed THEY WILL MESS up YOUR LIFE!History is replete with this very scenario.
    That is why Earnest,Cags,and some others are so vocal...to keep a balance.
    Essentially the question comes down to this
    Do You believe in"Infinity"or do you believe there was a beginning[of everything]I believe in Infinity,a concept humans do not and never will be able to wrap our tiny minds around.Exchange the word God with anything your comfortable with and we all will drop the dissonance.
    The very word"God"has become a trigger conjuring the nasty bad guy or the loving good guy...but it's all mankind's arrogance...to assume any human can reach the level of God,even to describe it,let alone tell others what it's nature and requirements are,has to be the height of arrogance or sever mental illness.
    Well,gotta go back to work so...I'll be back to check out your insults latter LOL...and I sincerely mean that

9. profile image0

Cagsil , Earnest, you two are just not capable of understanding or tolerance. That lack of tolerating others is venomously spewed throughout  your posts time, after time , after time . To the point that each time now that there is a forum about religion ,there you are ~{Boom]~ spewing the sam dog crap attitudes! So answer me this ...Don't you guys get tired of bullying on the keyboard. Somehow I picture you both with small mans desease in real life. I mean really , you guys are so easy to read and agitate !.. And do you hate Hindu's , Muslims and , Navajos too , or is it just Christians?  You really strike me as the P.C. type anyway ! Answer?

1. Cagsil profile image69

Really? What exactly do you find offensive in my post and since I didn't use other words which I could have used, would actually suggest to you that I did use tolerance in post. Not to mention, there's a whole lot of understanding in my post as well. It's completely understood that Brenda would love to remove all of humankind's laws and replace them with a supposed "god's law" even if it was against other people's wishes. If that isn't blatant intolerance then I don't know what is.
      Really? Usually it's the truth that hurts the most and I don't lie last time I checked. So, I guess you're offended by my defense of others and the truth in my words. What a shame.
      Dog crap? Actually, you would need to freshen up on what's considered dog crap nowadays....and if you're looking for the biggest source of BS, then take a close look at religion.
      Bullying? Just your imagination. Not to mention it's poorly perceived.
      Small mans disease? I'm not sure what that is, but I don't feel small, considering I stand in at 6'2" tall. lol
      Well, if Brenda and other would learn their place in this world, then less conflict would happen. Until then, I guess her actions and yours will only continue to perpetuate the hoax known as religion...will bring conflict.
      Anything with regards to a mystical god is just a person being dishonest with themselves. Oh well. But, it must be confronted.
      P.C.? I wrote a hub on how being P.C. is destroying society, so I doubt that I am being P.C. And, I guess that gives you your answer. wink

10. profile image0

Actually No , it didn't answer a thing , it just continues  with the intolerance  flag that you stand with  and wave towards only Christians it seems.........!  I have noticed you and Earnest dont dump on Muslims ,for instance , like you do Christians. ....Hmmmmmm Perhaps you two are just reaching out for the attention you were starved of at sunday school...Don't worry though .....you are still accepted in our world!  We will tolerate you !LOL

You're missing something in your post. I have tolerance and you claiming that I don't, doesn't make it true. It just means that you've perceived what I said incorrectly.

I have no issue with the fact that people want to believe. It fine, just keep it out of other people's life. How difficult is that?
      Actually, I do, but very few Muslims actually start threads or jump on imposing their beliefs upon others. Many Muslims do make the claim that a god exists, but not too many of them do much more than that.
      Never went to Sunday School. lol
      I doubt that, considering intolerance for my views on living life are not acceptable. So, nice try.
      How can you, when you read a book that preaches intolerance and ignorance? lol

You don't mind bending the truth do you?
      If you haven't seen what I have said about the quoran you must be wilfully blind!
      Your personal attacks are like being battered by a blowfly! lol You don't seen to bother telling the truth at all when you abuse.
      By the way, I am just under 6' and Cags is 6'2" so you even missed on that bit of genius, accusing us of something else you got totally wrong. Can't you get anything right?
      Are you sharing data with brothery, he is our other resident foot in mouther who abuses with personal attacks as you do and never gets it right either.

11. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Rev.6:8 that's the only one i remember for some reason. ..... fate maybe?

12. profile image0

How You get personal attacks out of calling you guys out in the bitter hatred you have of Christians.? Thats beyond me ! And you can be twelve feet tall and still have small mans desease.  Both of you guys would be ranked pretty low when in comes to your intolerable nature in the forums. Everyone sees it over and over! Cagsil , you actually have a hub on telerance and understanding. thats quite a jump for your actual forum attitude towards Christianity.

Well, again you have a comprehension problem. Please seek help for it. There are some truly great reading programs that can help you with your inability to comprehend the written word. It's a wonder how you could even comprehend reading the book you claim to read.

I hate no one. Get that through you fore-front of your brain, would you please.
      Apparently there's a lot beyond you. It's a good start that you've decided to admit your failings. Now do something about it....then again, it might take too much work/effort. So, you just might be best not to. lol
      Small man disease would imply that I think I am inferior to something and I don't see myself as inferior to anything or anyone. I also don't find myself above anything or anyone. So, again you would be wrong. It's getting fun showing the irrationality of your argument.
      It's not intolerance. Please go look up the word. You might see a photo of someone that you see in the mirror? I don't know, but it's apparent that you don't understand the words which are written.
      No. I have a hub on political correctness, which is what P.C. is.
      I don't have an attitude toward Christianity. I don't think of it as anything of value, so that means it's pretty much useless. I do have an attitude toward the people who practice it and then claim it rules over everyone's life, when in fact, it's supposedly about forming a personal relationship with a god(which is non-existent, a figment of the imagination).

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, when the word is spread, which is basically attacking non-believers with bitter hatred because they don't share those beliefs, it's okay for Christians to do it but not anyone else?

13. profile image0

Cags , Earnest , you guys just dont get it I guess , so I'm going to end this thread .  But I am going to , in the future, point out and call out your venomous dialogs against Christians . But here's some advice for you , If you don't like how Christians are trying to  "spread the word".....then just go to another forum or another subject. And remember If you can spew your digust for Christians . they I can ,and will call YOU out on it. Soo.... I hearby announce  Cagsil and Earnest the Knights of the Politicaly Correct Anti- Christianity  Knights of the Square Table and Cool aid Kingdom!. Peace gentlemen ! And be vigilant!

Finished the thread?

You can do whatever you like horsesback, I won't be losing any sleep over anything you have to say. lol

Going to take over from admin and close the thread are you?

You are a legend in your own lunch time aren't you? lol
      Truth really rattles your cage eh?

How can you logically make that claim, when YOU are the one with a comprehension problem? lol
      Against Christians? You can try calling me out and even attempt to point out "venomous" dialogs, but I'm not exactly sure you're capable. lol
      What and miss the fun of pointing out that they are irrational in their thought process? Not a chance.
      Christians don't disgust me. Remember, hate the sin, but love the sinner? Or didn't you learn that?

I love all people. It's their actions...like Jesus said- they know not what they do. lol
      You can try, but if you don't fix your comprehension problem first, then you will not be doing anything but harming yourself.
      WOW! Now, if this isn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard on the forums. This truly takes the cake.

14. profile image0

Peace out Cags......

And, I certainly hope you do find some peace in some way Ahorseback. wink

15. profile image0

Over and out

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)