Obama Jobs Speech -- Will Congress "Pass This Plan!" ??

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (99 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

How did he do?
    Will Congress continue to stonewall on this?
    Or will they make something happen?

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If there was a shrewd Republican (in the current race) they'd step forward and agree with the President and pressure the rest of the republicans to pass the bill - they could then counter and say that 'once in power I will look into measures to ensure this works' - would probably gain a lot of votes - actually having a politician who is willing to embrace bi-partisanship at a time where most cynics (myself included) expect full rebuttals would certainly turn a few heads.

Not only would they turn heads, they would also eliminate any political capital that Obama hopes to gain by saying 'Republicans simply do not want to work for America'.

Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No kidding!
        Well, that ain't Bachmann.
        What kind of candidate wants to run on a platform of "I'm against jobs for Americans"?

2. S Leretseh profile image61
        S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The treasury's printing press does not exist to print up paper money for the DEMS to use to "create" jobs.  Obama just doesn't get it.

Sorry you are wrong - the DEMS and REPS do not get it. I say get rid of the lot of them and let Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Bloomberg and Steve Jobs run the country! They know how to make money and create jobs - they are all Billionaires!!!! Run the country like a business....

roll
            That is a great idea but it's NOT in the Constitution.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
            Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing in Obama's jobs proposal would require printing money. Why don't you read the proposal before you knock it. And if you don't like it, explain what you think should be done.

Hang on - I didn't knock it - I knocked the politics that means that at the most a very watered down bill will be passed if anything. Both sides are postulating and if they truly cared about doing something it would have been done months ago.

Obama presented this knowing full well that the Republicans will not accept it. I'm sure he hopes that someone will suprise him but do you honestly beleive a Rep will agree this is a decent proposal?

1. profile image0
                Nick Lucasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the repubs have a plan and said tonight they hope that Obama will look at it and that the two can be put together.....Obama has not been willing to look at their plan because he is smarter and knows better which is why his new old plan will work now even though it failed before...im sick of that man

2. profile image0

ill read his plan as soon as he writes it down.....

3. S Leretseh profile image61
              S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

$253 billion in tax cuts and $194 billion in spending...this translate to DEFICITS. Another year of 1.3 trillion + in deficit spending.

I wonder why Obma didn't report the GOOD news: Ford is going to create over 5,000 new jobs. Oh yeah, those jobs are in India.

If Obama was the pro labor he claims to be ... he should have been telling America how we are going to get back those millions and millions and millions of jobs that have fled to China. Free trade with China is a death sentence for Western Civilization countries. That is, unless Americans want to try to live on $130 a month.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image61
              Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

.... wait...

We're Trillions in debt, he's going to lower taxes AND spend more?

... and it WON'T require printing money?

... how?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
                uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just operating the government requires borrowing huge sums of money every year.  There is no balanced budget or desire to balance the budget.  A budget deficit of $1.6 trillion means that there is no money to be spent that isn't borrow, taxed or inflated.  Regardless of what Barry is proposing YOU are right, it requires creating value in the economy by devaluing property - dollars.  It is predicated on deception.  But what liberal idea isn't?

3. GNelson profile image60
            GNelsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first thing a businessman would do is lay off some workers.  Just look at rick scott in florida.  He is an expert in medicare fraud and cutting jobs to cut cost.

1. lovemychris profile image76
              lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup...Mitt Romney too....cutting jobs to cut cost, and increase profit.

A country is NOT a business. As my immediate boss argues with the Big Boss all the time: "These are human beings! They are not your slaves!"

2. profile image0
              Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any business man who has to cut jobs should walk through his parking lot and get the tag numbers of all the cars with Obama stickers, 2008 or 2012. Those people should then be put at the top of list of who to let go first.

At least that's what I would do.

1. GNelson profile image60

Should have done that with Bush.

1. profile image0

What? And loose all your good employees? Not a chance.

Besides, you don't see too many Obama 08 stickers on cars anymore. They were traded in during the "Cash For Clunkers" government give away.

It's also great fun to see one in traffic, too. I've noticed those people tend to get cut off or are unable to merge as easily.

1. GNelson profile image60

You have an active imagination.

4. Danny R Hand profile image61
            Danny R Handposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest restricting Dems, and Republicans from any civil office for at least 25 years. Then, lets put some teachers, firefighters, policemen, nurses, gas station clerks, ect......., into to run the country. They couldn't do any worse. I'm a little tired of rich people who have NO CONCEPT of life in middle class America running our lives into the sh&$er for their philosophy's.

1. reg420 profile image61
              reg420posted 12 years agoin reply to this

have any of you checked out GOOOH?
              http://www.goooh.com
              This may be the first step in getting a government, that is more concerned with the human citizens than their corporate inc "cictzens"

1. Moderndayslave profile image59
                Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I joined but it hasn't got off the ground,,,YET!

2. American View profile image62
                American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

GOOOH another site that does nothing but wants your money. Beware, in this political enviornment, many more of them will pop up

2. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Barrack Obama doesn't want them to pass this ridiculous act, if they did what would he say next year? I proposed a plan and the republican congress passed it? That would surely interfere with the upcoming See they don't want jobs! Please, are you getting paid to post?

Yeah. Big bucks.

Cut me in on the action MM we can fill the forums with exciting fights just you and me, Mommo y Mano.

How would that be any different than the status quo, UCV?
            Surely you're not suggesting we fix the Mommo y Mano bouts ... lol?

Ain't capitalism awesome.

1. reg420 profile image61
                reg420posted 12 years agoin reply to this

real capitalism died in the 80's, it was a long suffering death
                RIP 2012

At least you're honest about it.

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many will stonewall, as is evident from posts here.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61

Yes, I concur.

Even the Dems were not always clapping or standing in support of what he was saying

4. uncorrectedvision profile image60

I avoid political speeches.  Will there actually be a bill authored in the White House.  Will there be specific policies proposed?  Or was it the typical wish list speech.  All Presidents make grand pronouncements some follow up with legislative action some do not. 

I think he has done enough.
      http://www.atr.org/comprehensive-list-o … ikes-a6433

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/ed … 50329944/1

A jobs bill needs to come out of the House with actions recommended for job creation to be lain at the feet of Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats to turn down.  If the Democrats block it then the Republicans should be all over the news talking about hostage taking, barbarians, SOBs, hell bound trips, terrorists and all the other conciliatory, low key rhetoric that was deployed against them in the last few months.

I suppose it is different when the famed peace makers at the Teamsters Union talk about taking people out and Palin talks about cross hairs.

Maybe these people could give their jobs to those who would really appreciate the work and the income.
      http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-stor … 21214.html

5. GNelson profile image60

The job program is done, we bailed out wall street.  This is just an after thought to get your vote.  A more honest approach would be a free one way trip to China.  I hear they are hiring.

6. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

May I remind you that congress is still for the most part controlled by dems? As expected Obama's speech was purely political and undeserving of a joint session. As usual, Obama's "plan" is not well thought out and, again he has chosen to lead from behind expecting others to figure out how to pay for it. His tax cut plan won't do anything to stimulate the economy just as Bush's plan didn't, it's too little and it's a temporary cut so everyone knows their taxes are going up. Extending unemployment does nothing to create jobs, in fact a recent study shows that it encourages unemployment. 10 billion for roads and bridges seems paltry at best and again the jobs created are only temporary.
      I
      Money for teachers, police, and firefighters is nice and politically wise for a president willing to go to the mat for labor but again these are service jobs and will not add significantly to kick starting the economy. Finally, Obama talked about getting trade deals done. This is disingenuous on his part since a number of deals have been sitting on his desk awaiting signature but are opposed by democrats! Consequently I dont see much reason to support his "plan". I see this as a plan to save his job, and a good indication of that as fact is Obama's statement to go around the country (campaigning) to push his plan and his OFA email calling for people to contact congress and vote in favor of it. The sad truth is, the economy won't be fixed until Obama and congressional dems are sent packing.

7. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The PLAN is a joke, a known boondoggle from the get go, it is a political pseudo 'plan', IMO.  Surely both liberals and conservaties get that at some level of consciousness at this point. 

My apologies if this is already pointed out in this thread, haven't read through the comments as yet.......

2. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

All I heard was... "Gimmie gimmie gimmmie... now now now... but I will get back to you a week from monday."

WTF?

1. profile image0

there was no real play just the same old one and a pep talk so he can blame congress.....

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I missed it, but hearing blips on NECN.
    I like it!
    And yes, the Repubs will stonewall.

They will insult him to high heaven and call it a day.
    Oh, and call it a good days work too....getting paid to insult, what a job!

I wonder if anyone has ANY idea how it feels to be out of work, and have your president say he cares about you.
    While his opponents say you are a lazy bum who only wants to take take take.

Could not be more clear.

Gobama.

There were actually a few moments when the Republicans clapped.
      What I heard was "We were elected to do a job. It's 14 whole months to the election and many Americans are hurting and can't wait 14 months."
      His tone was a bit rebukative (I just made that word up) but the GOP deserve to be chastised.

And given that his proposal includes elements that have been championed in the past by Democrats AND by Republicans.
      But hey, it wouldn't be the first time GOP flip flops and vote the opposite of something the previously favored. roll

1. profile image0

whats funny is the man sitting next to Mrs Obama is the head of GE and Obamas chief council of jobs and obama said he want to see made in america well the head of GE and his council on jobs just sent tons of jobs to the chinese gov with a new deal on aviation....

So Mr. GE should obviously be
          a) Fired from the council
          b) Publicly flogged and ridiculed as a hypocrite
          c) Forced to return all those Chinese jobs to America
          d) All of the above
          e) None of the above
          f) Other_____________________________(please describe)

2. lovemychris profile image76

Yeah, and I guess it "Suddenly" bothers you? Do you know what Romney is all about? Rick Perry?

Bachmann?

Gobama.

2. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently they could wait until Obama was done with his vacation.
        Doubt the Republicans will go for any increase in taxes.
        Loopholes need to be closed, but hard for politicians to do when the lobbyists are beating them over the head with cash.
        Obama and the Dems only came up with 30 some billion in cuts to get the debt ceiling deal, where the hell are they coming up with 450 billion for the jobs bill?  Raising taxes won't cover it.  They'll have to print more money or make some more cuts.

"Doubt the Republicans will go for any increase in taxes."

But they will go for the corporate tax cuts, and reforming medicare, won't they?

So--they'll take what they want out of it, but give nothing in return?

See why I call them Big Babies?

4. lovemychris profile image76

Barack Obama
    Our take: This isn’t just about jobs—it’s about basic fairness and security for middle-class families who work hard and play by the rules.

ahaha: 
    "where's Bohner's flag on his jacket? I don't think he's patriotic enough. He does not love America"

1. American View profile image62

Where was the ole, "And God bless the United States of America" at the end of his speech??????

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You must have missed it.  It was the last line.

Ron,

I stand corrected. I had turned the sound down as he was starting to walk away. I watched it again on you tube and he was walking away and everyone was standing to go when he was motioned to, he then turned his head and said it. If he was not prompted, he would have walked away without saying it. Regardless, he did say it

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

He repeated it, actually.

So is that now a good thing?  Time was when you liberals would get the willies when somebody said, "God bless America."

Not I. I don't mind it. It's sort of expected.
              I will say, however, that I've not liked the switch SINGING the song during the 7th inning stretch. Wondering how long that's going to stick around.
              I miss "Take Me Out to the Ballgame..."
              (so shoot me for being unAmerican about America's sport smile)

One of the ways 9/11 changed things.

MM,

He only said it once, even the transcripts show he only said it once. He said God bless you as he was turning away, and turned part way back to say the rest.

I believe you AV.
              I could have sworn I heard it twice.
              Did he say, "God bless. God bless America." maybe that's what I heard?
              Or hallucinated.

MM

No, you did not Hallucinate He said " God bless you, and God bless the United States of America" It was because he was turning away then turn back that makes it weird. It seemed to me he was turning away and was prompted to complete the saying. I really think if he was not prompted, he would have said God bless you and left

2. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it is about his Union buddies.

Anyone who thinks any of those projects will be done by non-Union Cos. is just plain daft.

Hopefully the unions are strong enough to go against the union-busting Republibaggers.

We want good pay for hard work, not hardly paid for good work.

These projects go Prevailing Wage,therefore they can be non-union. Mason, What should these workers make? Certified Welder ,Iron Worker,Electrician, Plumber ,Masons, Heavy Equipment operator,Laborers,HVAC. All of these trades take multiple years to learn and a lot longer to rise to the top. We are also trained for these jobs. HOW MUCH? Should they be able to retire? Take their kids to the doctor? How much a year? A construction worker works in a good year 2000 hours,Lets do some math 15 x 2000=30,000,,,, 30x 2000+ 60,000 before Taxes. If we don't have any disposable income ,who will buy all of your Corporate crap? Anyone feeling that we are a bunch of not so bright and lazy  individuals that deserve no more than minimum wage, I can arrange for you to see my world up close. Bring your lunch and a pair of gloves because I'm sure your hands are soft.

1. Jared Carter profile image61
            Jared Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to get into politics, but you're right about HVAC - it's a line of work that takes much time and energy to get into it, much less to get really good at it. Plus, if local HVAC businesses aren't hiring, what difference does it even make? It creates zero jobs....

Jared,

First, it takes 2 years of school before on can enter the HVAC field. It takes all of 5 more years to get a strong handle on the job. Not to mention the constant changes in technoledgy that the HVAC tech needs to keep up with, the EPA laws that need to be followed and also change.

Next, union or non-union does not matter for these projects. They all have to follow Davis-Bacon, it is spelled out in the bill.

2. mikelong profile image61
        mikelongposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sure they will not be all Union... American Builders and Contractors will have some of their people in the mix...

My brother is an electrician and he is not union, however, because unions exist he still gets paid prevailing wage...a damn good thing.. It drives the economy...and my brother and his coworkers are the perfect example...

I call this checks and balances...  If there weren't unions they'd all get paid pennies...

What do you do for a living Mason? 

There are some who believe that doing nothing is something....and they got called out last night...  Let the GOP return to their districts and explain to their constituents why these projects should not be done...

Reeeediculous if they do so....   Short-sighted stupidity at the expense of long term growth....

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Stonewall on what?

EVERY Keynsian attempt to save this economy - over $2 trillion spent in the past 3 years - has FAILED.

FAILED FAILED FAILED FAILED FAILED.

"her der, let's blow some more cash!"

There's nothing to stonewall, this is just Obama handing out money to his buddies before he gets kicked out.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61

Better waste a vote on Ron Paul then.

6. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

Leretseh,

What you demonstrate is a failure to understand the process of globalization...

China and India are going to become (if not already) the largest car markets in the world...   It makes no sense to build the product here and ship it around to the other world...  Ford has to be able to compete on the world level to stay around...

What I, and others like me, want to see out of this is the type of corporate responsibility that will enable the workers in India and China to receive compensation likt their counterparts here... 

Part of keeping U.S. standards high is to encourage other nations to raise their's as well...  We have to run counter to the "race to the bottom".. We can't keep emulating the behavior seen through our actions in Haiti...wherein American diplomats were putting pressure on the government of that nation (on behalf of U.S. brand clothing manufacturers made in Haiti) to hold back a raise in the minimum wage...

We call for self-determinism....but then deny other nations that same right... If we wish to see our domestic economy change, we have to be willing to pay for domestic production..and become independent to the Walmart manipulated labor pools abroad that supply us...

Americans need better educations, not so they can become lawyers and politicians, but so they have the ability to create products and ideas that drive economies...  Preaching math and science while driving down the arts, music, and other creative aspects of self and societal worth does not make a nation stronger...

7. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

It's only brought up, mentioned, and reinforced because conservative religious circles continue to insist that belief in God is a requirement for public service...

Mike,

I do not believe in God, I prefer it was not said, but I respect those who have faith and need to say it. I only brought it up because Obama does not want to say it, and tonight he almost did not say it. There seems to be a question about him in this area, so I was just pointing it out

1. mikelong profile image61
        mikelongposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If he didn't want to say it, then why was God referenced at least three times during his speech? 

True, Obama did not refer to God nearly as much as Palin during her speech on Monday, but (as I said) the audience that Palin and the other GOPers are pandering to (many but not all) have hardened views about the role of God in society..

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I've alread heard some Dems who were ruffled by Obama's suggestion that Medicare and Medicaid would have to be reformed, so it's not just the Repubs who are going to have probs with some of the legislation. Maybe they can actually...COMPROMISE!!! OMG, I said the C-word!

9. lovemychris profile image76

If they compromise, that would make Obama look good, and they won't do that...their goal is to get rid of him, nothing more.

They will once again go back to smears and name calling and anyone who supports this plan is an anti-American socialist who is out to destroy America.

They do not give 2 nickels for America...only their corporate masters whom they serve.

I would bet my life on it.

1. profile image0

The goal of every American, at least the ones that care about this country, should be to get rid of Obama in the 2012 election.

His new stimulus sounds like just more of the same, spending money we don't have and shouldn't be spending if we did. I do like the idea of reforming Medicare and Medicaid as Habee mentioned. There's a lot of fraud there that, if eliminated, will save us some money.

You say people who are against Obama "do not give 2 nickels for America...only their corporate masters whom they serve" but I don't work for corporate America and you have no idea what you're talking about.

I work for a company with under 200 employees. I've worked here ten years and have no idea which way the owner leans politically. I really don't care. Our CFO is a staunch Democrat and I avoid talking to her about about politics because she's so rabid about it.

I use to work for none other than American General as the head of the graphics department for one of their many subsidiaries until my position was eliminated due to corporate downsizing in 2000. It took me 9 years of working different jobs then with the company I'm with now to get back to what I was making when I left AG. To say the least, I'm not impressed with corporations any more than you are, having spent 7.5 years in the "belly of the beast" and being screwed over like I was. Also, my loosing that job was the tipping point, pushing a bad marriage over the edge into divorce.

I tell you all that to prove you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Conservatives. After all that, I could have been bitter and wallowed in self-pity as you seem to do. Instead, I chose to work my butt off. Perhaps you do as well. At least that's the impression I get.

The difference between us that stands out here is our politics. I'm Conservative and don't want or expect the government to take care of me. Your a Liberal, corporations and Conservatives are the root of all your problems, and you hate them for it. You want the government to take care of your every want and need but you still want all your freedoms. I know a guy who's like that. He wants to do what he wants when and where he wants to do it with no one telling him he can't. That guy is my son and he's THREE YEARS OLD.

1. profile image0

very well said.....I find it difficult to write about his speech becuase it was nothing new and makes me sick!

10. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Here's an expert opinion from Nobel Prize economist Paul Krugman:

It’s not nearly as bold as the plan I’d want in an ideal world. But if it actually became law, it would probably make a significant dent in unemployment.
    Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

Of course, it isn’t likely to become law, thanks to G.O.P. opposition. Nor is anything else likely to happen that will do much to help the 14 million Americans out of work. And that is both a tragedy and an outrage.

But the Fed’s hair is manifestly not on fire, nor do most politicians seem to see any urgency about the situation. These days, the best — or at any rate the alleged wise men and women who are supposed to be looking after the nation’s welfare — lack all conviction, while the worst, as represented by much of the G.O.P., are filled with a passionate intensity. So the unemployed are being abandoned.

But his plan isn’t likely to become law, thanks to Republican opposition. And it’s worth noting just how much that opposition has hardened over time, even as the plight of the unemployed has worsened.

So, at this point, leading Republicans are basically against anything that might help the unemployed. Yes, Mr. Romney has issued a glossy, well-produced “jobs plan,” but it might best be described as 59 bullet points with nothing there — and certainly nothing to justify his assertion, bordering on megalomania, that he would create no fewer than 11 million jobs in four years. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/opini … _LO_MST_FB

1. lady_love158 profile image60

Krugman is a shifty eyed, liberal hack, a pure partisian and nothing he writes has any value worth considering. His Nobel prize was in trade and now he's just a spokesman for the far left agenda.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Krugman is a partisan Democrat but hardly a hack. He's been predicting what has happened for two and a half years. Obama and Congress should have followed his advice that Obama's "package" was too small.

Krugman is a hack. The Keynesian theories he has half formed in his public positions represent an artificially created boom cycle.  What does that worthless hack economist think has been happening for years with the Federal Reserve keeping interest rates low and the Fiscal policies of GWB and BHO have weakened the dollar and perpetuated multiple bubbles that have been bursting. 

The business cycle and the consequences of an inflated boom finally going bust was predicted for decades, to the deafness of government, by F.A.Hayek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk

Round Two

Keynes was incapable of understanding the very thing that Krugman and all liberals fail to understand - the "animal spirits."  Liberal economists, like that hack Krugman, offer economic "solutions" that hobble those animal spirits.  Liberalism may have killed this generation's animal spirits but my sons are different than the foolish people of my father's generation and mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQnarzm … ure=relmfu

The Nobel ain't what it used to be.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60

The Nobel Prize isn't what it used to be - Paul Krugman is a fool. Al Gore is a con man.  Barrack Obama has taught the Libyans, Yemenis, Pakistanis, Iraqis, Afghans what peace means.

11. DIY Backlinks profile image58
    DIY Backlinksposted 12 years ago

I didn't hear anything new or anything that will create real jobs.

12. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image60
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years ago

Pearls to swine, Ralph!

http://www.icebergtees.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/palin-ignorance-is-bliss.jpg

13. Hugh Williamson profile image75
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

There is no reason why a comprehensive plan to strengthen all areas of our economy can't be implemented. We know what the problem areas are and we know what steps will address those problems.

Our economic future, however, may become collateral damage in the wars of partisan gamesmanship.

The ques. is, will our reps. finally put country ahead of politics and stop the insane refusal to do their jobs? So far, the answer is no.

I say throw them out. Every last one of them.

There is one always true and enormous reason why government is inept when it comes to economics.  Government cannot have sufficient knowledge to run an economy because there is no running in the economy.  The economy is the aggregation of millions of small actions based on billions of small decisions each day to manage trillions of dollars.

There just isn't enough knowledge or control available to run a purely organic and dynamic system that includes and is governed by the thousands of economic decisions made every year by each person.  To control an economy is to distort it and eventually destroy it.

We have seen over and over again how controlled economies eventually falter, trap the individual in poverty, fail and fall.  We do not need to repeat that stupidity.  Government needs to reduce taxation, reduce regulation, unwind itself from the economy in every way that is not required to enforce fair business dealings(by individuals and businesses), prevent fraud and abuse.

Government has pushed itself too deeply in the daily operation of the economy for it to recover as it is.  Everything that will be done, other than get government out of the economy, is going to complicate and further hamstring a recovery that should be a blazing, screaming monster of a recovery.

The deeper the recession the greater the recover - we haven't recovered and won't unless government gets out of the way.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

We will never the lost production, wages and taxes lost in this recession. They are gone forever.

1. lady_love158 profile image60

That will only remain true as long as democrats rule. Once Obama is gone and the senate enjoys a republican majority America will boom!

1. Hugh Williamson profile image75
            Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We've had presidents from both ends of the political spectrum (and the middle) who have had control of both houses. They used this power to stick it to the other guys and to reward their donors, not to improve our lot.

After the GOP landslide, GWB said "I earned some capital. I've earned capital in this election -- and I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I'd spend it on, which is -- you've heard the agenda: Social Security and tax reform, moving this economy forward, education, fighting and winning the war on terror." Ok, let's see:

- Haliburton gets exemption from EPA oversight of shale hydrofracking

- Record debt

- Recession.

Obama's Dem. congress didn't do much until they were lame ducks - then they hustled to pass some things.

So...let's make them all lame ducks.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

For the liberal they are lost because the liberals understanding of the world is a static thing that can be controlled.  How do you think all that wealth was destroyed - by spending and taxing the economy into ruination?  The liberal does not understand dynamism.  There have been few times in history like the American Era.  This is the most dynamic culture in the world and if government and liberalism would go away that culture would be unleashed again.  The Great Depression destroyed huge amounts of wealth.  By 1960 Americans lived in much greater prosperity than they did in 1930.

It all will come back if government removes the impediments to progress it has been putting in the way since the 1970s.  Over regulation has driven huge numbers of jobs out of the country.  They will come back if the government gets out of the way.  That cannot change with liberals in charge.

14. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

UV out of all of the conversations we have had, this is the one that I can totally agree with you on.  Thanks for the comment.

There is hope for you yet, my brother.

15. Hugh Williamson profile image75
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

It would be great to put the economy on autopilot and let it fix itself but is that realistic?

We've continually seen manufacturing jobs move to countries with cheap labor - avg. Chinese worker salary $180 per month the last I checked. So when we earn $175 per month, the economy will self balance. Is this really a good idea?

The real estate bubble -- too much or too little gov't oversight?

Should we allow Enron and their ilk to manipulate our power supplies to make themselves rich? Or would they suddenly become moral when given unfettered access to unprotected markets?

Human greed doesn't disappear when you let the rats run the ship.

You are making a fundamental error.  An economy is always, without exception, on autopilot.  It runs as it will run, it is a force of nature.  That is like saying we can't let the wind be on autopilot.  Regardless of what you do the wind will blow and an economy will function.  All that attempting to steer an economy does is distort the flow of the economy.

Jobs move to China or Mexico because the comparative advantage favors the moving of the job.  Government regulation, tax policy, etc...distorts all other conditions.  If you offer a tax incentive to keep a job here you will either drive up the price, drive down the wage being paid or, eventually, destroy the business.  Why?  Because economies are natural systems that are not amenable to interference.

Filling in one end of a lake only raises the water level at the other end.  That is government policy and the economy.  The sole legitimate role for government in an economy is to prevent force or fraud.  It is to do what government does in all human relations, guarantee that no crime goes unpunished.

Another fundamental error that is very informative is the idea that the economy, if left alone, will be run by the rats.  So businesses are devoid of morality and ethics whereas government is holy and sacred?  There are no angels in either endeavor.  If anything it is less likely for angels to find them selves in government because power corrupts and there is no power greater than that of government - not even Haliburton.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image75
        Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No one can predict what an uncontrolled economy would do because there are none to go to school on. The most robust economy in the world, China obviously, is one of the most heavily controlled.

We have to compete in a world with Asian currency manipulators, patent and trademark thieves and the practice of blatant reverse engineering of anything they want to copy and not pay for.

The profit motive for many U.S. companies urges them to make long term bad deals for short term gains, and they do. The rules in China are a moving target -- once you're there, taxes may go up, regulators say you must buy an increasing percentage of your raw materials from them, etc.

These things are killing us economically and there is no way to address such problems without government involvement. The problem is, our own government is manipulated by big business and can't be trusted to regulate in the public's favor.

That's why I say to vote them all out, keep voting them all out, until the pols decide to act for us instead of their sugar daddies. Honest pols will promote honest businesses.

Well put, let's not forget $4.00 + fuel for shipping

16. reg420 profile image61
    reg420posted 12 years ago

The real question is does it matter? The economy will not turn around until venture capitalists start investing in business instead of playing stock market poker.
    Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have the ability to fix the ecomony by funding small business,
    instead they have pledged have of their billions to charity. Charity may help but it's always a stop gap measure, too little too late. A bustling economy doesn't need so much charity in needs investments for the future.

Ronald Gascon
    Candidate 2012
    http://webstation19.8k.com/jonpol.htm

Uh no, until demand picks up,Why hire anyone? who will spur demand? The middle class.They spend most of what they earn. How does the middle class earn money? Work. Instead of bailing out crybaby bankers and Wall St traders start re-investing in our infrastructure. Putting the middle class back to work. Spend the money and get something in return. Nice Try though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)