We are the 99%

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (59 posts)
  1. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

A moving Tumblr from the Occupy Wall Street folks:

http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/

The thing that really stands out to me is how many more people might be able to keep their heads above ground with single payer health care (or at least a public option) and better student loan programs. Over and over reading these entries, the health care costs/lack of health care and student loan debt is what is dragging people down.

I was one of the really, really lucky ones and never had to deal with student loan debt, but we have been uninsured since my husband lost his employer-provided insurance after cutting back his hours to focus on studying for his boards, and I'm in a constant state of stress about what would happen if one of us got seriously injured or sick. We could make it with help from our families if we racked up debt in the 4 or 5 digit figures, but 6 digits...? One of my aunts got leukemia when she was barely 30. I am 29, so it's been on my mind a lot lately. sad

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I made it through college without a loan, either, and so did my son.  Neither was luck, though - I worked full time during school and 70-80 hours summertime while living in a one room apt and sharing a bath down the hall with 5 others.

My son went on the GI bill while also working full time and supporting a wife and 3 kids.  He came out with a 3.0 GPA.

It doesn't take luck - it takes hard, hard work.

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my case, not having student loan debt really was luck, but my husband was working 80 hours a week, going to school full time, and sharing a two room apartment with six other guys when I met him, so that's how he managed to (mostly) avoid them. We paid off the last $1500 with money given to us for our wedding.

I'm very, very proud of him for what he accomplished, of course, but the thing is, he got that degree from a community college, and not everybody is pursuing a degree that can be gotten at a community college, nor is everybody physically capable of surviving a schedule that brutal. Tens of thousands of dollars in debt is a punishment that far outweighs the "crime" of needing more than 4 hours of sleep a night or - heaven forfend! - trying to better yourself with a more advanced degree.

2. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Commendable, but your comment implies that those who don't take a job while studying are not hard working, which is not necessarily the case. There could be any number of reasons someone doesn't (or can't) take a job while studying, which is nothing to do with how hard working they are. Likewise there could be any number of reasons someone doesn't (or can't) study at all. People's circumstances are different.

From some of the statements linked to in the OP, many are working hard. But it seems like the playing field has now become so uneven that hard work and ability are no longer enough. And there are now getting to be enough people in that situation for it to be clear that "work harder" is not an adequate evaluation of the problem or the solution. The numbers of bright, educated, hard working people who are barely able to secure their own future indicates a systemic problem rather than a problem of work ethics (or lack thereof). Seems like a system has been allowed to develop which is inherently rigged against those who don't already possess wealth. That's what 'We Are the 99 Percent' seems to be trying to highlight. Worth reading through some of their stories.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

kerryg - don't worry so much.  that alone will improve your health 'care'.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still shocked that the Occupy Wall Street movement hasn't rallied behind Ron Paul.

Paul's views on economics are almost line-for-line what Ron Paul says (minus the 'raise taxes on millionaires' part).

4. S Leretseh profile image61
      S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"the health care costs/lack of health care and student loan debt is what is dragging people down"

Health care would be affordable if it had not been for LBJ's Medicare & Medicaid intervention.  Student loans hv only served to pack the pockets of academics (another ridiculous LBJ creation).  Throw in LBJ's civil rights laws (almost 100,000 pending cases today against american employers), one can only imagine how many jobs failed to materialize fearing one of these lawsuits.  The federal gov't/s (democrats) actions over the last 45 years hv made American companies globally  uncompetitive.  I truly wonder f it ever factors into the liberal mind ... that over there in China, Japan and Germany, they do not hv to worry about such anti-competitive nuisances.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Sorry to hear about your situation Kerry. hmm

However, I find that the percentage "99%" to be inaccurate. Simply because it seems to be speaking for everyone except for the upper 1% and not everything can be put on their shoulders.

Not to mention, there are approximately 15% of Americans who are homeless who are no longer even recognized as citizens, but are acknowledged as individuals.

So, I find the percentage grossly overstated

On another side note, approximately 20% are Millionaire status and I certainly don't think they are part of the 99% either.

However, I do hope you find a solution to your situation. I'm just ranting about the percentage and not about you. smile

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

It's not only healthcare....if you have a car problem, you are in heeps o trouble.

Something has got to give.

There is NO WAY people should suffer in this country with all this wealth.

Soemwhere along the way, the contract was broken.....

No longer is working hard and taking care of your responsibilities enough.

They want BLOOD.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This statement is ridiculous.
      This is untrue.
      Untrue. They want more power and control, which guarantees huge amounts of residual earnings. wink

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. Not about the blood; but if there was a profit to be made, they'd go after that too. Multinational corporations are, in my opinion, the primary problem. They own our government, they make our laws; and they have no vested interest in the people of this nation, except for as much as we can line their pockets. I don't begrudge wealthy people who have made their money while ensuring their workers made a liveable wage. I begrudge the raping of the honest American worker by the ones who put profit above everything.

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
        Petra Vlahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness,
        When did you even have the time to go to classes IF you worked full time?
        Did you ever study or do any homework?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's possible. I worked full time during the last two years of college. And I waited tables at a fraternity house for the second semester of my freshman year. My grades didn't put me at the top of the class, but I never flunked a course. And I managed to get a partial scholarship my senior year from the Boldt Foundation that gave scholarships to students who got decent grades while working.

Moreover, in Detroit thousands of people graduated from Wayne State University while working full time in auto plants. If they worked on the second shift they went to school in the day time, and if they worked day shift they went to school at night. The lights were on in classrooms until 11pm at Wayne State. Moreover, the car companies refunded their employees' tuition if they got a C or better in a course. Most of them took longer than four years, but many graduated from WSU and other colleges in the Detroit area. Now, of course jobs are scarce, and I don't know whether the companies still refund tuition.

By being forced to work and no having the time or energy to dedicate their full attention to studing it is NO wonder why so many graduates today can't get a job.
            A bad economy is only part of the problem, being unprepered and having just a diploma but not real knowledge is for sure a big part of the problem as well

The economy is the biggest part of the problem. But, as you said, some graduates' choices of courses don't prepare them for the available jobs in technical, medical, scientific, health care or engineering fields. The days when a high school drop-out could get a high paying job in manufacturing or construction are disappearing fast. Many of the best paying jobs require graduate degrees in the professions or business administration. Of course Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Zuckerman were all college dropouts.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

In some ways, I learned more things useful in my career from my work while in school than the classroom. But without the diplomas I wouldn't have been able to get my foot in the door.

3. KFlippin profile image60
              KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forced to work?  Did you actually say that?  I've been following this thread and the contemptuous comment you made to Wildnerness, and was so happy to see Ralph Deeds step in in her defense as well a few others.  Work is good, work is surviving on your own, pride comes from work, pride comes from overcoming the odds and getting that degree. I did it, it took years of working and going to school, and lots of lost sleep, and I got a 4 year degree, not community college, and at times I wanted to give up, but I always picked myself back up, worked every crap job I had to, as many hours as I had to, and I'm proud of it. 

I certainly don't blame my country for forcing the burden of Work on me while a student.  And I graduated with a 3.7 GPA.  A diploma with no real knowledge because someone had to work?  Does not compute... they don't just hand that diploma out to test cheaters, or do they now?

Forced to work??? Unbelievable.

1. wilderness profile image95

That does seem to be a problem.  The "gimmee" class doesn't want to work to support themselves; they want someone else to do it for them.

We've now seen quite a few on here that have worked their way through college, for the most part taking out no loans as they did so.  Students today would rather play, though (they did in my time, too).  Sports, drink all night or break out the pot.  Chase the girls (or boys), and join every activity they can. 

No, it's not fun, but it's worth it for a few years.  I've never been sorry that I didn't have loans the size of a home mortgage to pay back.

1. KFlippin profile image60
                  KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it wasn't much fun for me either, and I envied those kids who could do all that playing, who seemed to come from what I perceived at the time as mostly rich families, but the honest envy didn't make me bitter and jealous, just more determined.  And I certainly didn't wish their parents could be taxed at 50% and redistribute it to me so I wouldn't have to work my way through school - that thought would have been inconceivable to me.

1. profile image0
                    PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also worked my way through college and graduated with only a $1,000 student loan.  I was fortunate that I had the mental ability and physical stamina to do that.  I know quite a few of my college friends who did not.  If they had not had help in the form of loans and scholarships, they would not have graduated college.  One of them is a doctor now.  He is incredibly smart, but has a learning disorder that requires him to study three times longer than the average college student to retain the same information. 

Another is a landscape architect, incredibly creative but struggled with the math and science requirements.  If she had had to work, she could not have done it.

How sad it is that many people like that cannot graduate due to lack of funds or the inability to work and make their grades, while some mediocre kid whose sole "talent" is being born to wealthy parents is able to attend college, fully paid, including tutors, housekeepers, and money to party.

4. wilderness profile image95

The "real knowledge" you refer to comes from work, not from school.  Those that work will find it much easier to fill a job satisfactorily than those that play their way through college.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Petra, I worked with a guy who worked 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs to pay for his college and he did it for 4 years. wink

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was at Uni, I studied full time then worked from 5-10 in the evenings Mon-Fri and all day Saturday as a home help for adults with learning difficulties. I also had two kids under the age 8 years. Is it doable, yes, but should people really  have to work themselves half to death in order to improve their lot.

1. lovemychris profile image76
              lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But who watched the kids?

And daycare, at a cheap level, is $40.00 a day!! For 2?
              Or were they in school, and you had a cheap babysitter at night and on week-ends?

This is where the "pulling up the bootstraps" takes a beating!!

In that respect I was very fortunate, I took my son to school and my mum (free of charge) cared for my daughter. She' pick my son up from school, and bring them both home to my house. I'd get in from Uni make something to eat, my then partner would then come home from work and I'd go off to work. Not much of a family life though, eh.

Yes, I know exactly the life!

And have the same kind of wonderful mum! She is like a second mother to my kids. But I do agree with you....it should not take all this stress....why?

I look at other countries and think: Tax-funded education...
                  Tax funded daycare.......My GOD--I could be light-years ahead of where I am now!

Instead, I pretty much gave up on higher education: Finally just had to say enough! Cannot afford to do it all. Something had to go: my education.

and it's a shame, because we value rich people getting richer more than people like us having a higher quality life.

I can well understand that setiment when you know something's got to give. But, we can still fight for the future of all kids, so they don't have to struggle in the same way. smile

3. wilderness profile image95

5 - 4 hour evenings during the week plus 2-12 hour days on the weekends more than makes 40 hours.  Working a gas station (non-self serve) gives a little time for homework, and there is always a few hours available after 10 PM and before sleep.  As actual class time was only 18-22 hours, there is some 20 hours left in the week days as well.  My son did much the same; work evenings and weekends while using every speck of time during the day for study and going short on sleep.

Of course there was no time left for play, but I wasn't there to play. 

The point is that it can be done.  It isn't fun, but it can be done if you don't want a $50,000 debt when you come out.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
            Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow - now u is a expert on this as well? U sure is a expert on a LOT

I respect that. Tell us wot god sed on this.

See what I mean Ralph? It can get worse...if is not bad enough

4. lovemychris profile image76

"Focusing on the drivers doesn't deal with the systemic malfunction of owing 11 when we only borrowed 10!
    Usury.
    Find "Big Lie of Economics" to find out why.

PS: Dennis Kucinich's latest resolution to Treasury Greenbacks like Lincoln did is the greatest move by an American politician yet."

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:25:00 PM

See? Him I like. Dennis' the man!

"Department of Peace."   oh yeah.

5. Joe Badtoe profile image62
    Joe Badtoeposted 12 years ago

The important point to be made is far more people recognise the gap between wealthy elite and ordinary people. Pedantic dissection of percentages simply belittles the courage shown by decent Americans who realise that the ballot box no longer has the answer.

Every single person joining the occupy marches deserves praise. 99% is a general figure but is reasonably accurate when describing the gap between billionaires and normality.

6. lyndre profile image59
    lyndreposted 12 years ago

I am glad I am on my way out of this ratrace of a world and not just starting out.

Soon be pipe and slipper time for me,But still worry about my ragrats.

I actually believe it so much harder for kids now to try to get somewhere in this life.,

2. lovemychris profile image76

Oh yeah....I forgot!:

ICONIC PHOTO: DC protesters create human 99% on Freedom Plaza http://yfrog.com/kjlaqaij #ows

3. profile image58
      laptop-coolerposted 12 years ago

I think the big question is 'where is the competition'?

Technically capitalism should mean that you don't get a hugely rich 1% because the re will always be smaller companies undercutting you.  Instead the companies are turning huge profits, and even when they don't the top are still getting huge bonuses.

The only way to do this is convince more people to start their own businesses to increase competition, or find some way of convincing the rich to spend the cash they are hoarding (And maybe take a paycut and drop some of those prices to help the common man).

4. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

OWS's best chance for seeing their demands met is Ron Paul.

You know, I just saw a talk he had on C-Span....

He said he didn't want to cut defense, but he wants to end the "wars"...

Huh? So, what's he do with all those quabillions?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

He's openly said that he would use the money saved from ending the wars and bringing our troops home from countries where there is no war (we're in 150+ countries), to help pay our bills here. It'd be about $1.5 Trillion/year.

With that in place, we'd be able to pay our bills off in under a generation!

That's one of Paul's ideas that I can buy into.

Evan, did you know that Charles Koch urged Hayek to apply for Social Security? Did you know that Hayek supported government health care? Did you know that Austria has one of the best single payer government health care plans in the world? Strange for the birthplace of the Austrian school of economics, don't you think? (There's a long article on Keynsian economics and on Koch and Hayek in this week's "The Nation" which I don't imagine you subscribe to.)

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Samantha Bee takes on OWS.

She really highlights the utter idiocy and ass-backwards understanding of Capitalism that exists in our society

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-o … t-occupied

How bout this idiocy: "Get your gvt hands off my social security"....

what kind of undertanding is that?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Idiots are idiots.

That incident highlighted that people don't even know where the 'free' money they get is coming from.

Once again an illustration of just how ass-backward the understanding of Capitalism is.

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jon Stewart and Co have a knack for highlighting the absurd.  smile

6. lovemychris profile image76
    7. lovemychris profile image76
    8. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I was going to comment about this earlier, it's not just young people, it's everyone.

The worst was the 55 yr old guy who said if he dies, it's more food for his wife and kid.....

Are you kidding me?? America...THIS is what we have come to?....

As rotten as it is that people feel this way, the movement is gaining momentum. Although they'll try, the media cannot say it's just kids, bums and layabouts, with no real agenda. As the movement grows and becomes more organised, I believe, the demands will be much more specific.  IMO, this is the beginning of something much bigger.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)