Why Pro-choice hubs allowed ads but not anti-Abortion hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (97 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years ago

I started to wonder about this when one of my most recent hubs regarding the use of aborted fetuses in testing of certain products had all of the advertising removed.  I started to look to see if it was the same for pro-Abortion Hubs and I found that those hubs still have advertising.  Can you say BIAS? ..here?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll Or it could be your hub was excessively graphic and offensive.  But you are right, I'm sure the automatic filters are pro-choice and persecuting you for conservative viewpoints.

Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Abortion IS excessively graphic and offensive..but my hub is not because it talks about the truth regarding companies using aborted fetuses.

So, and let me get this straight, you believe that an HP staffer sits and waits for you to publish a hub then turns off the ads immediately?  Or do believe it is the actual completely automated system that determines that your hub is pro-life and passes a moral judgement on it?

As for the rest of the response, I won't argue abortion with you and I encourage others to stick to the moderation issue rather than the preaching.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that it is bias over abortion.  Could it be use of the "wrong" words in the hub?  A discussion of human cadavers used for testing purposes?  Maybe stem cell research or use (although that seems far fetched)?  Is it possible that the subject is one of those that is over used and saturated on HP?

Searching for "abortion" finds at least 1000 hubs - HP could well have decided the subject is saturated.  Judging from titles, without reading any, many seem to be anti abortion.  Some had ads, some did not.

In particular, one hub asking if abortion was murder had no ads.  Because of the word "murder"?  Maybe.  Often simple single words will trip a filter because the bots can't read and understand - they just see one word (such as "breast" for example), figure the whole thing is against adsense TOS and remove ads. 

If you really want ads on the hub, you might contact HP and see if it is a case of single words against adsense TOS, then find a workaround.  If it is saturated, you are probably stuck with no ads.

3. Deni Edwards profile image75
      Deni Edwardsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looking at your hub, I might venture a guess that there are no advertisements because of the content...aborted fetuses in food...and talk about the possibility of a lawsuit.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Maybe advertisers consider the subject matter distasteful? But, I don't know how they decide what ads will complement the hubs.

3. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years ago

What an f***ked up world we live in where people who support the violent killing of babes in the womb are rewarded while people who abhor and shine the light on these barbarities are penalized.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can respect people who oppose abortion, but not those who incite others to commit violence with extreme, inaccurate language. Abortion is not murder, zygotes and early fetuses are not babies. That's the kind of talk that "wound up" nutjob Scott Roeder to murder Dr. Tiller in his church in Wichita. That action was murder, not the sum total of all the abortions performed by Dr. Tiller.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let me get this straight, Ralph.
        You're blaming pro-lifers for inciting Rhoeder to kill Dr. Tiller.
        Yet you deem it okay for liberals to advocate killing their unborn babies.  And for them to ask others to help them do it, or do it for them, too!
        And you're against capital punishment because of the (highly unlikely) chance that an innocent person may be executed (even after they've gone through the justice system including the opportunity to appeal several times);  yet you give the unborn "fetus" no opportunity to defend itself or to be defended; actually no right to ever even experience life outside the womb at all!
        Talk about taking away rights!  Your view would take away the rights of people to call abortion murder?!   Well, babies are NOT just fetuses.  And abortion IS murder.

1. livelonger profile image86
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do think it's amusing that you bash the Catholic Church, when Catholic thinkers have set Evangelical social policy over the last 30 years.

Umm, the Bible has set evangelical social policy NOT the friggen Catholic Church!

Yes, that's what the Catholic Church would like you to think.

30 years ago, the Southern Baptist Convention was pro-choice. Hard to believe, huh?

The reality is that evangelical social policy has changed constantly. Considering the wording of the English Christian Bible hasn't changed in 400 years, it suggests something other than the Bible at work.

I can only speak for myself and my Christian friends and NONE of us take our cues from the Catholic Church..that is for sure!

2. profile image0

I speak out against some of the Catholic Church's policies and false beliefs, yes.  But I believe there are some Christians in that Church.  The Catholic Church (at least the RCC) has some core beliefs that are just plain wrong.  But there are some Priests from that Church that've taken a strong stance against abortion.  I respect them for that. I also speak out against wrong policies and false beliefs in any Church.

I hope evangelicals also eventually come around to their position on the death penalty, too.

I suspect, sadly, there's just far too much bloodlust, though.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60

I'm sure Mr. Deeds would be right there against the abolition of slavery when it was going on as well.  Abortion is the Slavery and Holocaust of OUR time!

1. profile image0

Indeed it is.
            And yet the rights of those children are nowhere to be found on the liberals' list of "civil rights" to be fought for.  Ain't that something?!

It just goes to show how evil our society has become...quite scary really, when people can justify slaughtering their own children.  It makes me wonder why they draw the line at people who are born, after all we are just a bunch of cells (at least that's what the evolutionists would say) so then there really is no such thing as murder..right!

1. profile image0

Or else they say we're descended from animals; that's another excuse they try to come up with.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image58
                Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Damn those scientists and their....facts. mad

Why can't we just base our legal and moral decisions on myths invented by a  bunch of mid-eastern goat herders who lived thousands of years ago.

Thinking is hard...

3. Ron Montgomery profile image58

No one tried to justify slaughtering children.  You are telling a lie.

Facts..what a laugh!

Abortion is the slaughter of children.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image58

Inconvenient little buggers aren't they?

3. Ralph Deeds profile image64

I haven't suggested "taking away" anyone's rights. I'm just suggesting that calling abortion "slaughtering children" is not only inaccurate, but it is inflammatory and sometimes leads ignorant, mentally unstable individuals to commit mayhem.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image58

No one is advocating mudering babies.  You repeat this lie on a regular basis, it still doesn't make it true.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
            Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No!  Anything but muder!  lol

What if they're Muslims?

2. profile image0

As much as I like you, Ron, I gotta say this---stop accusing me of lying.  Yes, abortion is murder.  What? You and Ralph suggest it's "inflammatory" for someone to say that?  I don't care.  I'm "suggesting" that it's HUGELY inflammatory for someone to advocate that a child is simply something to be tossed into a garbage can in the first place, at the whim of a parent who thinks it's an inconvenience.
            Enough of the liberal whitewash and hogwash!  And it's "inflammatory" for you to accuse people of lying when they're simply defending what is so obviously right, including the rights of a child.

Now, do I think that a 12 or 14-year-old child who aborts her baby should be tried as an adult for murder?  No I don't.  In the first place, she's a child herself and should've been protected from even having sex, and it would depend on whether the male she had sex with was an adult or not too as to whether he's tried for rape.  But each case like that should be considered on an individual basis.  There are degrees of prosecution for even adults who commit murder, depending on whether it's premeditated or self-defense, etc., and is judged on also the individual's mental capacity, etc.

But if we base the whole issue on the premise that an unborn child is a human being, a person, (which it is!), then we can go from there with the legalities of each case.   The worst thing our government can do is what it's been doing---legalizing abortion so that no one is accountable for the death of a child.   The best thing that can be done is to make into law the fact that each child has the right to life.  When that premise is accepted and made known to everyone, then and only then will pregnant girls and women and fathers of any age be defended in their rights also as well as held to their responsibilities.   
            And any adult including doctors (especially doctors really) should never advocate for or told they have rights to advocate for the killing of the unborn, except in cases of rape or where a life-threatening issue exists that requires a choice to be made.  That lie of blanket legalization being an option has created a monstrous dilemma for everyone involved.  That should not be.

No one said a child should be tossed into a garbage can.  Another lie.

4. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

It isn't a case of political bias, it's a question -- as others have rightly mentioned -- of Adsense's TOS.

"Google doesn't allow ads related to abortion that use violent language or gruesome imagery"

I would say that "who support the violent killing of babes in the womb", qualifies as violent language. I took a look at the hub and it doesn't seem particularly violent to me, but then again Google might. Who knows?

1. wilderness profile image96

And that's exactly the problem - who knows what Google might find offensive?

HP does a pretty good job of protecting us all from the vagaries of adsense, but at the cost of sometimes going overboard.

I think that is probably a necessary evil.  HP has to protect itself and all of it's writers.  A personal blog or website can chose whether their message is important enough for them to risk losing advertising.  HP simply cannot allow all writers to take on responsibility for those writers who choose to push the envelope.

"Killing babies" is offensive language and the writer knows it... that's why she chose it, to illiciate an emotional response.  To complain that her hub is ad-restricted is somewhat unrealistic.  You can't be both incendiary and safe at the same time.

Oh I agree 100%!  Hp dare not allow such hubs to carry adsense, and I appreciate their efforts to maintain relations with adsense.  Far better to lose a few hubs than the entire site.

I've never run into that particular "censorship" but if I do you won't see any argument from me.  I may knock google for it, but not HP.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I had the advertising removed from a pros and cons of abortion hub, which was neutral in tone and subject matter, presenting both sides and not promoting any point of view.  I think abortion as a topic puts off advertisers.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The hub was up for a few weeks before the advertising was taken off.  I think most, if not all abortion-related hubs will have their advertising removed at some point, but it takes them time to find them all.

Before the advertising was removed from my latest anti-abortion hub, I made more money on that article than any article in one day in the past year.  So, obviously money can be made.

Which is why I think the motivating factor is not money but politics and a nefarious social agenda.

And you could well be right, but if so it is being done by Google, not HP.

I've seen a lot of posts accusing HP of censorship, but it always seems to boil down to a hub that could be violating adsense TOS.   As PaulGoodman points out, his hub was neutral, yours is anti and I'm sure we could find examples of pro-abortion hubs that have been hit.  As well as some both ways that have not been moderated (yet). 

Given the severity of the penalty (complete loss of adsense income) HP doesn't have a lot of choice but to censor on the side of caution, but I've never actually found them to choose one side or another of any issue.

Ok,  I understand your argument.  What I haven't seen ..IS ONE pro-abortion hub that has had the advertising removed.  Can you find one?  If so I would like to know.

Does it matter?  Finding one isn't going to change the fact that your hub doesn't have ads.  The automatic filters caught it, so there was something objectionable.  If pro-choice hubs don't trip the filter then they don't.  I can assure you that an inanimate computer program isn't persecuting you alone.  Try moderating your language if you want ads. If you feel strong language is necessary, then use it... but accept you won't have ads...

No one is picking on you Brie.  I think you might like to think that they are, but sorry... you are just another hubber that has to play by the rules.

Yeah?  I'll believe you when you find pro-choice articles with the ads removed!

2. wilderness profile image96

http://soni2006.hubpages.com/hub/aborti … -pregnancy

http://einsflow.hubpages.com/hub/abortion-essay

http://wendyon22s.hubpages.com/hub/abortionlaws

http://crankalicious.hubpages.com/hub/T … ion-Debate

http://anagain.hubpages.com/hub/Is-abor … or-ungodly

Some of these seem neutral, some are decidedly pro-choice. 

Out of over 1000 hubs on abortion there will be many more.  One thing that strikes me is that anti hubs are typically infused with grisly photos and discussion of violence; pro hubs usually have neither.  While you may feel that it is OK to use these things because your cause is good, Adsense disagrees and is what is causing you to lose your monetization, not HP. 

As Melissa says, you are not being picked on by HP.  Not even by Adsense - they could not care less who you are or what you are writing about; just that the hub may contain no violence or offensive photos.  Offensive being defined by Adsense, not by you or I.

Actually the most gruesome photos from the hubs you provided were on a pro-choice hub (go figure?).  Out of the ones you provided only 2 were really pro-choice.  But thanks for showing them to me.   My hub has no graphic photos whatsoever and personally I think the language is quite tame.  Nevertheless, there are 2 examples above and that is 2 more than I have seen previously, so thanks.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image58

I've never seen a pro-abortion hub.  Is that a hub that encourages people to have abortions?

Abortion is a horrible blow to fundies and conservatives.  Eugenics would only result in the destruction of both institutions. 

Dammit, I was drawn into posting in one of her "look at me! look at me!" Threads.
                I'm so ashamed, I fed the troll.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                  Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know, it's too tempting.

4. barryrutherford profile image76
              barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

O'k my hub is not pro-Abortion It is neutral. But has had its advertising removed shortly after publication a couple of years ago

6. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Seems  that some things are better left unsaid according to some. But for me the more you shine a light on a topic the better the outcome...smile

<snipped-no promotional links>

You write:  This hubber recommends that independent counselling is sought when you are making such a monumental life decisions as choosing to terminate a pregnancy.

I wonder if you substituted "Jew" for pregnancy if that would be acceptable?  You make killing a baby less evil than killing a Jew was in World War 2.

1. barryrutherford profile image76
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No that is the inference you take.  I argue that you should get  all the counselling you can before you go ahead with an abortion.  I am trying to prevent an Abortion in its tracks...

It should be illegal, because murder is illegal.  No exceptions.

Murder is illegal.  What does that have to do with abortion?

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
              wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to the world of Brie.. she likes to twist things.

That's it!  I'm switching to Camembert mad

Ill bring the crackers! cool

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll bring the red wine.

More crackers would be redundant.

2. wavegirl22 profile image49

where do you get your ideas from?

there is seriously something wrong here. . might be nice to every Jewish person on the planet if you went back to your maiden name instead of people thinking that you are actually a Jew. I know as I am
        a Jewish person, I found this example of yours totally offensive

I get my ideas from the 10 Commandments..Thou Shalt Not Kill!

Btw, my mother's mother was Jewish, so I am Jewish.

And that is what makes you a Jew?

Go back and re read some of your posts. If your grandmother has past . .I am sure some of your words have her rolling. If she is still alive, why not show her some of what you write here. Proud is not something she would be feeling.

Take K9keystrokes advice. . . think before you type.

I think she would be proud of me (she is dead).  She also stood up for those who were innocent and helpless as the babes are in the womb (unlike yourself).

I was referring to your 'Jewishness"  which there is obviously none to speak of. 

But whoooooo it went right over your little keppy like most things seem to.

But thanks for the party that me and Ron and UW have got going. .. some delicious items are in store. K9 I know you have some good recipes. . what do you think you can bring?

2. K9keystrokes profile image82
              K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wink

1. K9keystrokes profile image82

You know, I'm really thinking a nice olive oil and balsamic dip with a firm flat bread...should match well with the red wine UW is bringing. What do think?

my mouth is watering. .I knew you would bring something delice!

Shalom my friend~

Gotta agree with wavegirl22 on this one Brie. A good idea to think through your comparisons before placing such language in your sentences. cool

NOPE, The people who advocated for black slavery in this country said that blacks were only 2/3rd human and the Nazi's did the same and so do people who advocate for the killing of innocent babes in the womb.  Same exact thing.

Wow. In my opinion, this is purely sensationalizing a view point by using such hot-topic comparisons. It seems to me in your original post  the concern was that you find your pro-life hubs to be ad free, while pro-choice hubs produce revenue. The use of Nazi and Black History really seem unrelated, however is often mistaken as a good fallback debate for the abortion topic.
              Good luck with whatever your end goal really is. hmm
              Blessing~

It was 3/5, not 2/3, it was a compromise between Northern and Southern states for purposes of taxation and representation, it was.....

never mind roll

wink Nice Ron....

7. profile image0
    Cranfordjsposted 12 years ago

Doesn't surprise me! I have an anti-religious hub and they fill it with Christian advertisement! lol How ironic.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Enough of this. smile This is not free speech here. I wrote a hub about melatonin awhile back. Then I discovered that google doesn't like prescription drugs hub articles. Although melatonin is OTC in US, it is not elsewhere. So I deleted the critter. I mean, why not, and who cares?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

At least you are against the death penalty and all in favor of birth control fo all.

The only reason I am against the death penalty is because of our unjust justice system that executes innocent people.  In theory, I'm for it but I just think that our system is so corrupt that a poor person or a minority has no chance in it.

That's a good reason, as I recall, one of the reasons cited in the Supreme Court decision outlawing executions as cruel and unusual punishment (since overturned).

10. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Maybe some baguettes or, freedom loaves if you prefer.

I'd pop some buns in the oven, but Brie wouldn't let us eat them.

yep, still going to hell.

((lol))

Hey, your oven your choice

Blintzes! That what's missing!

Filled with gooey cheese....

Crap!  We're right back where we started yikes

LMJAO!

3. wavegirl22 profile image49

Ron. . its Friday night. . I think the appropriate bread could be a nice Challah . .Ill even lead the prayer. . unless the grand daughter of the Jew wants to do it . ..

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5812194_f248.jpg

((lol))

Doesn't that bread have eggs in it.....

MURDERESS!!!!!!!

11. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I love Friday night's on HubPages...

I used to love the show Friday Night Lights. . .

UW I think you are onto something.. we could give the forum a good catchy name and really lure them in. . .but . ..I think we need to be a bit cautious on who can bring the goodies. . .. smile

Im liking Melissa's buns . .. I just hope they dont get burnt!!!

12. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Have a great Friday evening Hubbers! I'm off to make a few blintzes and polish the Mezuzah!

Shalom!! wink

13. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.248603176.jpg

14. TheMagician profile image88
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Speaking of product testing, you know aborted fetal cells are in Pepsi?
    Stuff's delicious.

15. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

I have a hub that has been filtered.  There are no offensive photos or anything, it's about women's issues.  But ads are disabled on it due to the content.

By the way, it's about ...........

Ads are not permitted on my Hub entitled "The Art of the Striptease, a Venerable American Entertainment Genre." It gets a lot of page views but no ads, although I think it's unoffensive and humorous.

16. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

marker.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)