Heaven

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Cranfordjsposted 12 years ago

Does it really matter if  heaven exist (for a religious fundamentalist)? Being that a Christian fundamentalist will die knowing  heaven is a 'fact', does the actual existence matter since the fundamentalist will never know that he or she was wrong?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image71
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

it would matter to them after they died and somehow still had consciousness...if I am understanding your question correctly

1. profile image0
        Cranfordjsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In this scenario I'm implying that Heaven doesn't exist. Say we knew for a fact heaven didn't exist, but there were people (Christian fundamentalist) who didn't care and still believed. Would it be comparable to say that they do go to Heaven, even if it isn't tangible, since they will never know.

1. mischeviousme profile image61
          mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The future is as intangible as that of air. We can wave our arms in it, but we cannot slap it. Heaven is an unknown future and is an illusion of desire. To accept the not knowing of it, is to move ahead. Now will always be constant and we will always be in it. That is a fact, though the words used may change.

2. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your scenario is rather moot, since Christians know there IS a "heaven" which God has promised to all those who keep striving for the mark of Salvation.

The path is a solitary one, no matter which path is chosen. Heaven is a path, but it is a path we must travel alone.

1. profile image0

In human terms, yes, we must travel it alone.
              But indeed the Believer has Jesus walking with them, so we are not truly alone.  Even on Judgement Day, Jesus will be our Advocate, if we're judged.  And we are/will be judged according to Jesus's righteousness, not by our own.

Right now we are walking together, for time knows not individuals. In time we are all the same and we are naked to the truth of it.

2. profile image0
            AntonOfTheNorthposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I offer a correction.  They 'believe' there is a heaven, or at best they believe that they know that there is a heaven.

Knowledge is attached to experience.  They don't know heaven unless they have experienced it. 

This is not to devalue their belief.  It just isn't the same thing.

cheers

3. Seek-n-Find profile image71
          Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the question is coherently logical.  If you are asking based on the presupposition that heaven does not exist, then how could something that did not exist matter in one's afterlife if there was no afterlife?  It would matter during the here and how for how they live their life based on their beliefs and it would matter in the afterlife only if there was an afterlife. Can you clarify at another level deeper what it is you are trying to find out about?  Thanks!

If one can be certain that they do not know, heaven is but one of many possibilities.

1. profile image0

@seek n find -

My forum question isn't intended to mock any religion. Wit that said, I wonder if Christians (or any religious fundamentalist) are in a win win situation. They go to heaven if it's real. If it isn't they won't know the difference. So is it a win win, regardless?

Who really knows but the dead?

2. Seek-n-Find profile image71
                Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think you were mocking--I just didn't understand the question fully.  I think it is a win-win no matter how you look at it.  This is why:

1)  If God is real and heaven exists--the one who believes in the Truth of these matters will be in heaven after they die and know God forever.

2)  If God is real and heaven exists--the one who believes in the Truth of these matters ALSO get to experience a version of heaven in the here and now and can know God here and now.  The Lord's Prayer "...thy kingdom COME, thy will be done, on EARTH as it is in heaven..."

3)  If it's possible that God and heaven are not real, it is still possible that it is.  It cannot be proven that God and heaven do not exist so the possibility will always be there.

4)  At the very least, if somehow it could be proven that God and heaven were not real, then I guess to believe in God would still not be a bad thing because they would be attempting to be creatures of love and to live by a set of moral laws that are more beneficial than living selfishly and by no standard of right/wrong. 

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

1. profile image0

Yea I have tried the same idea but in different questions. It has taken me a few attempts to get it down to where I want it. With that said, my latest version of it, that I sent  in the previous comment, makes it clearer.

1) Even if god is real, which one? Remember, 70% of the planet doesn't fall under Christianity.  (unless it's a Deist God who will cover everyone)

2) I agree but then again it isn't a 50/50. The idea of God, or no God seems narrow, but it's actually very broad. Being that there are many different religions once you step on the 'God' side of the fence.

3) Your number three point can also be an argument for the secular side. Since we can't know God, and heaven exist, it seems like a tedious task of choosing a religion. It's almost like playing the lottery. (this brings me back to my number " 2)" point)

4) I don't agree because there are other philosophies that incorporate the same values. (I.E. I'm a Secular humanist).

Your comments make sense, also.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
                  A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, you used fallacies in your examples hence they are not valid.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, just the fantasy is enough.  The believer's final thought is that he is about to meet God.  At the point that he could actually learn once and for all that he's wasted the better part of his life chasing an imaginary prize, he ceases to exist.

When I'm bored I visit a local hospice and entertain the patients with my views on the matter.

Ron Montgomery9,944 postsJoined: 2 years agoHubs: 21Followers: 269
        Posted 1 minute ago
        No, just the fantasy is enough.  The believer's final thought is that he is about to meet God.  At the point that he could actually learn once and for all that he's wasted the better part of his life chasing an imaginary prize, he ceases to exist

Ego ceases to control the illusion.

2. profile image0

Good grief.
        You visit a local hospice and...?
        That's a horrid thing to say, Ron.
        ...Seems to me there was someone else around here who said such a thing, a while back....but whatever.  It's an awful thing to say.  Have you ever even known anyone personally who was in hospice care?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, quite a few people.  The patients are pounced on by religious types trying to score some last minute conversions and pick over the financial remains.  I save them from these vagabonds free of charge.

2. mischeviousme profile image61

Yes and they still like entertainment and company. They know what it's like to live in the now, for their time is short.

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Heaven does exist for me. Been through that experience when I was young and nobody can convince me that there isn't a heaven at all. smile

2. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Heaven is the reward to be  given to the ones who accomplished the purpose of life; being in the image of the Creator God  in attributes that could be acquired by a human being.

3. Millercl profile image66
    Millerclposted 12 years ago

Are you suggesting that heaven is an actually place right now? Like say the Bahamas?

I feel it is true, as a Christian, Heaven is being in the presence of the Lord free of sin and such. There will be a new heavens and a new earth after all is said and done, but it isn't what we have now and it doesn't exist yet.

Or are you getting at some, "Look how silly Christians are for believing in some place that doesn't exist and how far will they go to justify it."

No. I'm simply pointing out that it doesn't matter "now". What I believe is secondary and is part of the "I" illusion.

1. Millercl profile image66
        Millerclposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was not directed towards you.

1. profile image0

@millercl-

My forum question isn't intended to mock any religion. I wonder if Christians (or any religious fundamentalist) are in a win win situation. They go to heaven if it's real. If it isn't they won't know the difference. So is it a win win, regardless?

2. Michele Travis profile image66
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

However what you have said it true.  No matter who it is directed to.  It is even in the bible.  I appreciate what you write.

4. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

If it was fully understood what heaven is really like, you would understand why everything was created.

And we would understand why we would never want to stay there. The illusion is that "I" thinks it is something it needs.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's right. All illusions aside, yes, mom and dad are on the otherside, but don't have human responses or human images. Imagine a yogurt culture. Heaven is like an eternity of yogurt.

lol Now were getting closer to the illusion of it. Preconcieved ideas are not the future, they are the past and they only affect the now.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
            Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was being facetious. Being everywhere all at once does get old after the first billion or so years go by...of course, you don't notice the passing of time...you exist beyond it.

For time is but the illusion that what we do matters. If I am worried about making a mark on the world, all of the words I spoke would be meaningless.

5. amilypitt profile image60
    amilypittposted 12 years ago

Heaven is a matter of belief. No one can see the future but if you believe that there exist any heaven kind of thing then they should do the good thing to go in heaven and it will bring peace in this world and in people also and hence they got the haven like place right here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)