Can you prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

Can you prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist?

I know this question sounds like I'm trolling but I assure you I'm trying to ask it legitimately. I see questions all the time on HubPages like "Do you believe in god?" and "If god doesn't exist, prove it." I would say these are perfectly logical questions for believers to ask of non believers, but I'm curious how those same believers would answer them about the FSM. Keep in mind, I'm not asking why you think god is real over the FSM, I'm asking if you can prove the FSM's non existence.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

There is definitive proof that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does, in fact, exist. Have you ever seen a toddler eating a bowl of spaghetti? Somehow, though, it's usually followed up by a parent yelling "JESUS CHRIST" or something highly offensive that I can't print here.

The real answer is: No. But the FSM amuses me, so I will assume that He does exist because I'm egotistical like that. I haven't had enough caffeine yet today to delve into any deep, philosophical debates.

3. Keith Ham profile image60
    Keith Hamposted 11 years ago

I do believe in god and that true Atheism doesn't actually exist, that would be a terrible way to live. However, people are allowed to follow or do what they want. If it isn't harming me or even if it sparks a good debate - I'm fine. There are a lot of ways that the world and universe works that are completely unknown to us. And I'm one of the few that believe that there is still mysticism in this world despite the fact that people believe no stone has gone un-turned.

1. profile image0
      Matthew Kirkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

condescending

2. Keith Ham profile image60
      Keith Hamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well thanks a lot.

3. Georgie Lowery profile image91
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

FWIW, I'm an atheist and I don't think this answer was condescending at all. Everybody gets to have an opinion.

4. Keith Ham profile image60

Thanks Georgie, I wasn't trying to say Atheists are wrong. I just meant the word means the absolute absence of belief, that really isn't possible. However, the classification of Atheism is true. People can believe anything they want, or not lol

5. Georgie Lowery profile image91
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, it's ok. Whoever says we can't all get along is dead wrong! smile

6. Keith Ham profile image60

That or too cynical for their own good! LOL

7. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Atheism isn't the absolute absence of belief. It only refers to ones belief in the existence of deities. You can have religion and beliefs without believing in god.

4. Veroniquebee profile image66
    Veroniquebeeposted 11 years ago

You can't prove the FSM does NOT exist. Even if you prove it, it only means that the FSM masqueraded its existance really, really well.

5. Vintagetreasures profile image61
    Vintagetreasuresposted 11 years ago

Of course FSM exists!  He hangs out with his best friends the sock monster who hangs out in my dryer eating only one of a pair of socks and the evil little troll who lives in my computer and gives me "the blue screen of death" when I'm in the middle of a project and up against a deadline!  Just because YOU can't see them doesn't mean they aren't real!  :>)

6. profile image0
    Matthew Kirkposted 11 years ago

99.99999999% certain it doesn't exist wink

7. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

There is no way to prove the non-existence of anything. Any claims to the contrary are arguments to ignorance type logical fallacies.

I find it peculiar, though, that some atheists act as though they know for a certainty that God cannot exist. They may say that they merely don't believe in God, but many of their statements against "believers" say that they're certain God doesn't exist. And these are two different viewpoints with some possible overlap. It only shows a confusion on the nature of their own beliefs.

The fact is, the lack of proof of something never disproves anything. Could FSM exist? Yes, most certainly. But seeing that the first mention of FSM seems to have been as a strawman, I'm less inclined to believe it possible it exists.

God, on the other hand, is a slightly different case.

The universe exists, therefore He IS.

Similar to the truism by Rene Descartes, this statement rings true on a number of levels. How can physicality exist and persist without it having a source? Just as the thinker of a thought is the source of the thought. And ultimate source does not need a source. Such a source is not a construct or a created object.

1. profile image0

Making a statement, then saying 'it rings true' does not add any strength at all to the weight of your argument. Descartes said - 4+4 can only = 8, he was as sure as anyone could be he wasn't being deceived on that - Atheists feel the same about god.

8. Mr Love Doctor profile image60
    Mr Love Doctorposted 11 years ago

Does the Fying Spaghetti Monster change anyone's life?  Can the Flying Spaghetti Monster fix broken marriages, break the chains of alcoholism and drug abuse in millions of people, make people on the point of suicide learn to love and treasure themselves, bring peace to billions of hearts?

No?

Jesus can and does.

I am tired of all the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" nonsense out there.  It's a cheap way for hateful people to pile spite and ridicule without coming up with a real argument.  Faith is something experiential.  You have to try it to see it.  I personally believe that all the gods and goddesses out there are real.   Accepting that, you need to decide for yourself which one is the best.  I believe Allah exists, just as I believe that Jehovah exists.  It's impossible for so many billions of otherwise normal, educated, and sensible people to say they know this or that deity.  Are you truly convinced they are all insane?  In a similar vein, all of the overlapping and similar stories in history.  I believe that Horus was real, as was Quetzalcóatl.  The similarities between those two dieties' stories and that of Jesus Christ to me SCREAM that there is another power, globally at work, trying to confuse the true story with variants.  What better way to make people deny them all?  How many political parties in our very real world apply the same method by running candidates in their opponents' primaries to disrupt them?

The question for me is, which one of the deities loves me?  Which one of the deities promises me eternal life, no conditions?  Which one has a book that contains ageless wisdom, along with no scientific, historic, or geographic inaccuracies?  Which one died for me?

It wasn't the Flying Spaghetti Monster, that I can tell you.

1. profile image0

Sorry Doctor but this goes against the teachings of the FSM. FSM teachings are believable too because they are in a book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel … ti_Monster

2. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The similarities between deities and religions can be argued as one assimilating and/or copying another. Religious people aren't insane, they're just terrified of death and uncertainty. It's understandable to want god, but not necessary to be strong.

9. Ceegen profile image68
    Ceegenposted 11 years ago

No, I can't because I can't prove a negative. But, I can prove that it is very unlikely that the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist.

10. atotsm profile image60
    atotsmposted 11 years ago

No. And hubpages isn't allowing me to answer you just with no.

11. Beege215e profile image59
    Beege215eposted 11 years ago

Sorry to dispute your suggestion that the FSM doesn't exist.  HE DOES!   The only thing required for anyone or anything to exist is one believer.  You may not believe, I may not believe, but someone somewhere believes he does therefore HE DOES.   And Ithink that if he does exist.  he ( or SHE) must be kind, gentle and amusing.  Many people smile and even laugh out loud when the FSM is mentioned.  So I, as a kind, gentle mortal must allow that there is indeed a Flying Spagetti Monster out there somewhere, just as I allow others to have a God named God.  To each their own.

12. Angele Parris profile image59
    Angele Parrisposted 8 years ago

The question asked is: Can you prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster sounds like a fairy tale character. However, if the FSM can send a tsunami, then he exist. If I am in trouble and I call on the Flying Spaghetti Monster and he helps me, then he exists.   If FSM can spark debates two thousand years after his death, then he exists. If I can ask neighbors to pray for me in the name of the FSM then he exists.  If I go to church and feel the FSM spirit then he exists. 
    The question that should be asked is: Is the FSM the Almighty being?

When God took the children of Israel out of Egypt, He did not take the Egyptians with the children of Israel.  Thus not everybody is going to feel the FSM spirit or believe in the FSM. That does not mean that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist.

In the book of Revelation, God says he has the key to death and hell. It is left up to us to believe or not.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How do you know that what they feel isn't the FSM? Natural disasters and spiritual inklings carry no signature saying "I'm the one who did this".

2. Angele Parris profile image59
      Angele Parrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

prophesy

3. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Anyone can claim prophecy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)