Do you think religion makes you perfect human?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (73 posts)
  1. loveorlost profile image41
    loveorlostposted 12 years ago

Practicing religion theory can teach lots of good behavior so why we see bad people as bad people have a religion too.

1. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. I think religion is an excuse to not have to live with the self and the consequences of action. If God will always forgive me, I have license to do as I please. If the devil made me do it, I am casting aside accountabillity. And the list of reasons goes on. Should I state them?

1. cobrien profile image60
        cobrienposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree. Children who are well cared for by their parents want to please their parents. Gos is my Father. He is good to me and I aim to please Him.

We all aim to apease our God, becuase it is "my" God. My God is the thing which gave life to me. The universe and life are my God. I am of it and it is of me. We create this out of ourr minds, in a way in which it is percieved by us. It is an illusion of the self. We see that we have this light inside, some call it consciousness, others call it a soul. The fact is, we have no idea what it is and for some reason, we feel we have to make it happy. It would be happier if we just left it alone and let it tell us what this is. You'll get no answer but it won't matter, it'll be happier in not knowing. We try to force our enlightenment and it is getting us nowhere.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Children don't worship their parents like believers worship their god, nor does a parent send their children to burn for an eternity when they aren't pleased.

The whole parents and god comparison is absurd.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, Religion makes super human being with super powers in order to rule the world............not

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

Those two words together are an oxymoron.

1. cprice75 profile image84
        cprice75posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So are non-religious and perfect...your point is?  There are no "perfect" human beings.

To be the gentleman, is to admit the wrong and move on as best one can.

4. glmclendon profile image60
      glmclendonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Man is not without error and fault.We must work on our behavior like anything else. Prayer is something one must do daily. We must do the best we can while we can.

5. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion inspires some people to do wonderful things and others to do very stupid things. I have never met a perfect person.
      People often turn to religion because they want to be better as a person. The saddest thing is when you meet someone who says they don't need to change anything about themselves.

6. teamelite21 profile image59
      teamelite21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing can make anyone perfect.  We all mess up and do things that are wrong.  Being Christian doesn't make you perfect.  It doesn't make you any better than anyone else.  I am a Christian, but if I bragged about how closer to being perfect I was than someone else, it would be juvenile.  I mean think about it.  That's like me and you having a contest to jump to the moon.  Even if you jump hire than me, you are still light years away.

7. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion doesn't make one a perfect human; Jesus does. Listening and obeying the Lord keeps us in His perfect Spirit.

8. LoveLikeASunset profile image61
      LoveLikeASunsetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Humans can never be perfect. Religion gives us humans something to believe in and serves as a moral guide to help us follow. We still possess free will which can often cause us to chose the wrong path and do foolish things. Although religion in general can help people be good people, it is ultimately what you put in that you get out.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I suppose the difference is that some people view religion as a tool to assist them in making better choices. Some see it as a tool for gaining spiritual power. Others have other reasons. The reasons that draw you to religion will usually define your actions while practicing it.

Religion may change some people. More often than not, this is not the case.

1. brittanytodd profile image88
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. Kyle Payne profile image60
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

Absolutely not!

4. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

The fallacy is in the perfection as something other than what one was made. In the progressive system, 'what one was made' original sin, should be destroyed and replaced with perfection. The imperfectionists are said to promote evil. Thus the eternal antagonistic 'if you are not with us you are against us'. Sounds like American foreign policy.

5. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Truthful religion makes us good people if we act and believe on its true teachings.

1. Razatauqeer profile image58
      Razatauqeerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are right. Religion can not make you perfect until you are willing to do so. Yes, religion always teaches the good things. If you follow the teachings of religion ( for me Islam) you can be a perfect human but if you do not follow the preachings of religion then religion can not make you perfect.

6. ronin145 profile image57
    ronin145posted 12 years ago

I think that many people confuse being religious with being spiritual.  You can be a very spiritual person and not follow any organized religious practice or you can be a very structured religious practitioner and totally lack any sense of spirituality.

Some people need the structure of organized religion to help them in finding a spiritual center and others may simply have that gift naturally.  Each has his/her own struggles in life and one is not any better than the other.  Different people just have different needs. 

If going to the church that practices a doctrine that makes sense in your heart and in your mind and you find that it helps you in your everyday life, then by all means follow that path.  If you don't feel the need to follow any organized doctrine and you feel that you are spiritually centered and that connection is all that you need, then continue on your path.

Life is about the freedom to make individual choices and as long as you are willing to take total personal responsibility for those choices and no one else is hurt or damaged in the process, including yourself,  then follow the path of your choice.

1. autumn18 profile image57
      autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nicely put.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Sorry, but you have not explained the difference between being religious and being spiritual?

1. OutWest profile image57
        OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's kind of like the difference between intelligent and educated.  I'm sure it's something you cannot understand either. lol

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

Spiritual is just the unknowns until it known in our own ego self .When a  religion group claims all spirituality it is not intelligent thing to do and causes a mess.

1. OutWest profile image57
            OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spiritual can be a belief, say in God, but not following a religion.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Religion is belief in God.

10% of the World's population is non religious, who think or believe there is a God

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Religion IS a belief in gods, by definition. How is possible then for people to believe in a god and not be religious.

A person who believes in God, but not into religion,  Some sects of Hinduism and like Buddhism. Jainism comes to mind is deist or many theist, Pantheism, Judaism, , secular Humanism. Spiritism, Toaism scientology if you like Aliens. Many others do also. I love Toaism yet belong to no group.

2. wilmiers77 profile image60

Staying in the spirit of love is the best example by far. This is spiritual to the max.

2. glmclendon profile image60
          glmclendonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think we  are all working on being better people. It is a life time work. We work and move deeper in your thoughts ways and actions so  you will be closer to what your beliefs are.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

Then, I am all ears as you explain those differences. I await your detailed response.

7. TMApsey profile image76
    TMApseyposted 12 years ago

We, as human beings, are never perfect, so how could any religion make anyone perfect. It makes no sense. Even if you think that you are perfect because of some religious belief, someone will always find a flaw. There is no such thing as perfect on this planet.

8. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

nope...more religion infact makes human move towards imperfection....idea of my god better than yours comes from too much religion....it divides humans into tags like christians , jews ,muslims and so on....it is output of tribe mentality...religion must be replaced by moral values which encapsulates all human beings ...

9. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

Some religious people might use their religion to feel better about the bad things they have done.  The bad things could be blamed on the influence of the devil, and believing that God will forgive those bad things might be seen as an excuse.  Without religion, people have no other reason than their bad judgements, for which they are answerable for.

1. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean that those who don't believe in a truthful religion; don't do any bad or evil acts?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@paar they do but dont have blind follower team....like organized religion has....but i am very optimistic , all present day religion would perish in future and we would have better world ahead...

2. lizzieBoo profile image60

Muldania, no that is not right. Complete personal accountability is at the heart of Christianity. Free will is paramount to the faith. That we are fully culpable is key, which is why we say "Mea maxima culpa" during Mass. It means "my grievous fault". It is  much harder to say that no one but you is to blame for your actions, than what we have in the modern therapy culture which allows us to shift blame onto everything but ourselves. The Christian method demands humility.

and....Over obedience

1. lizzieBoo profile image60

It demands obedience to your conscience, yes.

I do have an awareness of ethics and People generally know what is right from wrong: Why do you need a big sky Daddy to bully you around, be yourself, it will work out well.

The truth of it is, is that people fear the truth, for if they release what they think they know, they fear that they will lose hold of the whole thing.

2. lizzieBoo profile image60

It's not that people "need" a God. God is something that just occurs to people.

Does it matter what God that is? Or can I just make one up?

1. lizzieBoo profile image60

There isn't a rule about it. Certainly, some people just make one up.

I think that we all have an innate spirituality. I think it's as much part of us as any other part of us. I think that blocking out that part of ourselves is as unhealthy as any other type of repression. There is the world, and there is the unseen, unknown world. Why do people feel the need to be so rigidly opposed to the latter?

I think we have to look to ourselves as to whether following a religion is a truthful path to take.

Exactly. It is a solitary path between birth and death, and it is but a series of moments.

10. NiaLee profile image59
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

no it actually helps cleanse or reeducate some people, some it helps them be worst and appear better. Every teaching's result depends on the purpose, goal, form, individual. teacher and environment. Some are religious and so crooked, some are non religious and so good.
    I know so many who use religion to gain some height they couldn't have, lots of men do because then whatever happens they are the masters!

Personal spirituality shouldn't be a matter of control over others or by others but this is what religion requires to submit to some, to follow some...not always the right or good ones!

11. phillippeengel profile image83
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

If bad people do have a religion, then that religion could be Satanism.

12. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

It has been said that without religion, good people would do good things and bad people would do bad things.  But in order for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.  This is an to over-simplify things, because for the majority of people, religion has helped them to overcome previous bad inclinations, such as prisoners who turn to God and turn their lives around as a result.  And the work of the nuns and monks, who provide medical help in third-world countries.  However, there will also be bad people, for whom religion makes no difference, as well as bad people who use religion as an excuse for the evil that they do.  Religion is a confusing mix.  However, it would be as wrong to say religion makes people bad, as it it is to claim that atheism makes people bad.  Believers point to the likes of Stalin, and claim that it was his atheism which made him act as he did, or Hitler's Roman Catholicism which made him bad.  But, I suspect they would have been the people they were irrespective of their beliefs.

13. loveorlost profile image41
    loveorlostposted 12 years ago

Thanks all to answer this question. Now i have a wide idea to think. Discussion makes me easy to know something.

14. profile image0
    jomineposted 12 years ago

I don't know whether religion makes perfect humans, what I do know is religion makes perfect fools.

And the fool becomes wise through folly, as it is said.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is also said that God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.

And the fool becomes the wise through his own device. If one can see that belief comes secondary to life as it is, the one can move forward with now and not against it, in the ago or the tomorrow.

15. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

To err is human; that is very true.

Those truthful persons who did not sin or like Adam if they sinned they realized that they made a mistake so they repented and asked forgiveness from the Creator God; they also promised not to commit such act again; they were pardoned or forgiven by the Creator God; such persons are also called perfect human beings; they were messengers and prophets of the Creator God.

16. phillippeengel profile image83
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

Imperfect humans are brought about because Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit from the tree of  knowledge of good and evil. One single sin can condemn everyone of us.

If one so chooses to believe so, then it is true for the one. But because I see it differently, does not make me better or worse than anyone else.

1. wilmiers77 profile image60

Yes, to have different beliefs doesn't make one better than another. But, if I were traveling a desert with ten other persons with the water situation being such that we only had a change to cross the desert if each took only two shallows of water each hour from one canteen, than I would much prefer that the others were born again Christians.

We are all sinners saved by grace. In the case above, if the strong man take all the water, than one realizes that he should have been his brothers keeper by witnessing the Word of God prior.

Since we are all imperfect we must never stop trying to improve our moral values. I have choosen what I belief are supreme moral values and the fullness of a faith, Christianity. There are many chances that we shall be short of water one day.

2. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Adam and Eve were forgiven by the Creator God; so they remained perfect; their offspring are innocent if they don't commit any sin themeselves.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

who forgives creator god?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)