How much money do you save a month with coupons?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Moms-Secret profile image76
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

Today is a great news kind of day.  I was just adopted as coupon instructor for the Central Florida Area!  I am not a coupon blogger, so I am honored to be given the opportunity.  Teaching and saving while blessing other families, what a blessing! 

I am easily saving a couple hundred dollars a month and I am not an extremist!

1. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I save about $100 a month with coupons/store savings cards. I don't buy items that I don't plan on using. Most of my savings is from toiletries, yogurt (we eat a lot of yogurt), and various other products.

2. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 12 years ago

That's great.  I don't use coupons for food because most of the food I eat doesn't come in a box or a can or a bottle.

For larger items the coupons I use are whatever Costco has as long as I need it.

Couponing can be a huge waste of time and I don't have it. Time has a monetary value.  And many people use coupons to try items they otherwise would not purchase as that is the advertisers intent.

But hey if people want to do it, more power to them.

Moms-Secretposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I met a lot of people who believe that Mike.  Thank you for answering.  Honestly, I have not changed the way that I eat in order to get coupons.  I don't eat a lot of processed foods either.  These are some of the reasons that I am not an extremist.  As far as the time factor, you are right.  Time must be invested in the beginning to learn.  That is true with everything.  My students usually get the hang of it within their first few weeks and take off easily.  Besides, the savings of $200 a month plus is worth a couple of weeks to adapt.

Here is an idea of the deals that I have gotten recently...
      LaCreme vanilla yogurt 4 pk ... paid 50 cents
      Silk Almond Milk ... paid $1.50
      Texas Toast ... paid 90 cents
      (that last one is in a box but I love that texas toast!)

Some of the biggest savings are on toiletries.

3. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I do not currently use any but I am going to start. I have already started printing coupons for my next grocery visit.

If you are using coupons for your existing grocery lists, you may want to google or bing coupon databases.  This will allow you to easily find existing coupons for your items. 
      I use one on the couponers united site which is specific to central florida.  It will tell me if my coupon is online or in a past newspaper.
      http://www.couponersunited.com/couponer … n-database

I wish you lots of savings.  Feel free to msg me if you need some tips.

4. leahlefler profile image93
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

I use them for some items - my son likes Go-Gurts in his lunch (the tube style yogurt) and I can usually find a $0.40 off coupon (which is doubled at our grocery store). I also use them for soap, pet food (our dog eats Purina and there are usually Purina coupons in the paper), toothpaste, and deoderant (and cosmetics, when they appear).

I don't use the coupons for the name brand cereals, because the generic "cereal-in-a-bag" is usually cheaper than the name-brand cereal, even with the coupon.

I got a great deal on go-gurts once.  My daughter didn't like them sad
      Her ideal sweet is chocolate.  My husband ate them all, he didn't mind at all.
      Check out wildforwags.com to get the most out of your toiletries coupon.  You can benefit from the coupon database too!  http://www.couponersunited.com/couponer … n-database
      It helps you find the coupons that may exist for the items you want to buy.

I have not priced the cereal in a bag in a while.  I typically don't spend more than $1.50 for brand name cereals.  Are the bags less?

1. leahlefler profile image93
        leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They have been lately - though it may have more to do with the coupons we get and the doubling policy - most of the coupons for the name brand cereals have been $1.00 off TWO boxes (and you must buy two), and the $1 coupons don't double. So you only get $0.50 off each box. Per ounce, the name brand cereals can run up to $5 per ounce (most are around $3.50) and the generic stuff in the bags is about $1.80 per ounce. If there was a really good coupon combined with an in-store offer, then it might be worth it for the name-brand. But usually the malt-o-meal in the bag is cheaper.

I'll check out the wildforwags site. I do get coupons from coupons.com - I currently have a $0.75 off go-gurt coupon that will double. I'm sort of glad that my son loves them (we get the "simply" go-gurt because it has no artificial flavors or colors).

5. frugalfamily profile image71
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

Too much to count! I no longer pay for shampoo, hand soap, laundry detergent, dish soap, toothpaste, and I get big discounts on other things, sometimes free things ..like bananas.  I don't even buy a newspaper every week....my book telling how I do it should be out be Christmas.

Great job Frugal!  Congrats on your book!  Mine will be out soon too but its a psycho thriller.  I have to finish reading the proof.

6. frugalfamily profile image71
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

@ leahlefler the least expensive ive gotten cereal so far is $1 a box for name brand, but it was in combination with Walgreens rewards back.

I have gotten them for $1 too but it was at Publix supermarket.

Keep saving Frugal.  You Rock.

7. alissaroberts profile image77
    alissarobertsposted 12 years ago

I only started using coupons about 6 months ago but I easily save close to $150 a month. I really wish I could go back in time to all those shopping trips that I didn't use coupons and get my money back. Really what was I thinking? All that money wasted! Never again using coupons from now on smile

8. steryker profile image60
    sterykerposted 12 years ago

My wife has coupon shopping down to a science. She went food shopping today and with the store discounts and coupons she save 107.62 off the bill. The total of the out of pocket cost was 117 thats food for 5 for the week. Not including milk, bread, eggs that may be needed for the end

1. mom101 profile image61
      mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could get into this habit. I have tried so many different times. Its like some "force" is hindering me.

But savings can be had by using coupons.

9. SuperheroSales profile image57
    SuperheroSalesposted 12 years ago

When we're organized we save a minimum of $150 a month on coupons.  The only things we will pay full price on are unpackaged meat, milk, and fruits/veggies and sometimes we even get coupons for them!  I always feel guilty now paying full price for other things!

10. mcgreg28 profile image65
    mcgreg28posted 12 years ago

I have never used coupons but i plan on starting

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)