How many unpublished hubs are you currently working on?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Just curious. I am really frustrated because I have 24 unpublished ones. lol A lot are close to finish but I have been getting too distracted.

I started two more today when I was supposed to be working on the others.

argh!

How many unpublished hubs do you currently have?

(Also, do the low ratings on the red unpublished hubs affect my score?)

1. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are there any jobs around the house that need to be done? Clean out the gutters, or dig a trench or something that you don't really want to do?

Find the worst job and then tell yourself this: either I finish off these hubs OR I have to do this stinky/smelly/sweaty job.

1. profile image0
        girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ahahah that is definitely a plausible solution! Would rather write than clean, anyday! big_smile

2. SEM Pro profile image81
      SEM Proposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And to answer your original question Girly_girl, I started a series that requires each to be researched in relatively the same large number of reference books so currently, 71 (lol) I don't actually start posting until they're complete though. That includes at least a couple dozen on different topics like you have and I can relate to getting distracted sad

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have 2 right now.

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I have 15 I guess I had better get those done. lololo big_smile

4. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

3 for me right now...gotta get those done. Not sure if it lowers the score.

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I have four.  two were ones that I unpublished so I could work on fixing them an sinceI unpublished, both my hub score and the individual hub scores on each one went up

6. profile image0

lol It sounds like I have way tooooo many! I'm going to have to set a rule and not allow myself to create any new ones until I get these out of the way. They are fun topics, but I just keep thinking of new things to write about.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image78

My unfinished ones are hubs I thought were a great idea at first but I don't have the interest in continuing right now. Maybe I should just delete them.

8. profile image0
    J-Maeposted 14 years ago

Several. I am still so new to this. I am so distracted and my self esteem lowers when I read some GREAT stuff.
    I keep telling myself that I have to get the bad stuff out of my head and eventually the greatest hub from J-Mae will be produced.
    So glad to hear there are more unpublished hubs still being worked on besides mine. smile
    Great job to all. I really have enjoyed these past few weeks.
    Keep hubbing!

9. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

I have about five, with three-four of them being related to each other (similar topics/part of a series).  There just aren't enough hours in the day, especially when you have to work all day and come home to a wife who has spent the whole day with the baby so she wants a break.  Not that I mind giving her a break or spending time with the baby, but it forces me to choose between, say, sleep or writing hubs.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image78

Aww, your little boy is precious smile

1. curiozities profile image60
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile

11. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I have two but they will take a few weeks or so to complete as I also have family and work commitments.

12. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I have 13 written in my notebook and 19 more to be done with my 100 hubs in 30 days.  I am looking for a completion date by Monday at 12:00 a.m.  Darkside great inspiration on getting motivated to complete hubpages. If this was twitter I would tell you all that I am looking for 19 topics to complete the hub challenge.

13. Triplet Mom profile image65
    Triplet Momposted 14 years ago

About 20 or so.  That sounds like way too many when I give it a number.

1. profile image0

I'm not alone then! big_smile

14. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I was kind of surprised to see that people are "working on" Hubs, but I also know that a lot of other people have Hubs that have so much better "other stuff" (than writing) in them.  When I saw the "working on" post it occurred to me that some people must have a "system" for putting together a well put-together Hub.   (Sorry the following is long, but I thought it may help other people, as well as me.)

I'll see some Hubs and wonder how on Earth someone found some of the things (photos or other interesting things) for their Hubs; and I'll wonder, too, how people even think up what they're aiming for.  So, before I ask my question, here's what I do (and I know my Hubs are grossly lacking in creativity):

I just either think up some subject, or look around online for things people are talking about, and write.  I'll add some public domain image (and I haven't been able to find all that many sources for them).  These days I may add a video or two.  Then links to other Hubs.  Then Amazon links.  The comment box is there, and it's usually hard to find any news about the things I usually write about.  If I think it's a "serious" subject I'll look for good links to solid resources/references.  It's like "my formula" that I've fallen into - and then I'll see other people's Hubs that look so much more interesting and colorful.

I put most of efforts into the "just-sitting-and-writing", and it shows.  I don't do drafts or outlines.  I just write the "final copy" and go back and look for typos.  On the one hand, it's a fairly quick process.  I stick with writing about what I know (either from experience or after having researched something in the past and assimilating the information).  On the other hand, I hate my Hubs.  They look rotten.  I'm often "ok" (at peace with) with the writing, itself.  It's the rest of the elements to a Hub I'm a big loser on.  (I struggle with their being longer than they should, but I write about a lot of "serious" things; so in a way, I don't want to worry about the length.)

So, my questions are:

What am I doing wrong?  What don't I know about putting together a really good-looking ("professional-looking") Hub?  I'm dead serious when I say I completely lack creativity and imagination.  (I'm a very left-brained person.)  If that's the problem I know I just have to live with it.  I'm just wondering if other people have more "great-Hub" savvy and their own formulas for coming up with Hubs that have "zing".

If "working on" just means people don't have the time to sit down and write, that's one thing.  If "working on" means people are taking time to put together the elements that take a Hub from being "plain old writing and a not-too-great picture" to being really professional looking, that's what I'm wondering: what should I be doing that I don't know I should be doing? (On the one hand, my biggest earner is a really lousy-looking, whipped, Hub about something people search for.  On the other hand, I think the others could do better if they looked more professional.)

1. profile image0

I don't necessarily write really long articles. That's not the reason what I jump from hub to hub (my most intricate/longest hub was written in one sitting lol). I just get distracted and move on from idea to idea.

Whenever I create a new hub, I do keyword/light topic research, choose my title, search for several images and upload them. Then, I will write the opening paragraph. Then, I typically will divide my hub into 3-5 text capsule sections & write the headers. I come back to them later and fill in the text, under the main headers. After that, I'll put in Amazon products, RSS feeds & maybe a poll.

That's basically my process and writing articles doesn't take me that long. My problem is just that I keep thinking of new things to write about and start hubs for them and abandon my old ones. hmm Because of this, I haven't published for the last 10 days and have 24 unpublished hubs in development! lol

15. Lisa HW profile image61

girly_girl09, thanks.  I guess part of my problem is that I apparently lack the creativity to think up some of those light topics.  I like the look of your Hubs.  Even when I've thought up lighter topics I don't know where to get pictures.  Can I ask where you get the kind of pictures you do?  (I'm so worried about copyright issues I tend to stay with the "out-and-out" public-domain pictures (which is limiting).

In a recent post someone mentioned that it's ok to use Amazon's pictures, there to promote the products.  Do you know of other similar sources?    (I've been wanting to balance out some of my Hubs (with lighter stuff) for a long time now, but my ignorance about where to get pictures has stopped me.)  (I'd mostly like to recreate the success that a couple of my lighter-topic Hubs have had.)

16. profile image0

I never have an issue with using product images (like if I'm doing a frozen dinner review). That is common practice.

I also search through google & yahoo search and if the images aren't from a copyrighted source, I use them.

Places like creativecommons are really helpful to find images, too.

17. Lisa HW profile image61

Thanks for taking the time to answer all those questions.   smile   I've been trying to "incubate" some creativity (with regard to lighter topics) over the last year or so.  Maybe if I throw into the mix some of what I've learned here that process will speed up.   smile

1. LondonGirl profile image80
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My hubs are rather different in style from yours, and you might well not like what I do, anyway.

When I choose a hub, I decide what it's going to be about, and choose the title. Then I create the text capsules with the headings, to give me a structure. I tend to write a capsule at one go, and in between writing them find videos, photos, amazon stuff, links, etc. My hubs tend to be quite multi-media, I like doing it that way.

18. profile image0
    helenathegreatposted 14 years ago

I also use and love http://sxc.hu for free-to-use images.  Most of the photographers just ask that you credit them and let them know where you're putting their photos.

I have three or four unpublished hubs right now, but I first created them about 18 months ago!  Guess I am the master of distraction, haha...  I really should finish them, though, 'cause they're all great ideas.  Somehow their partially finished state makes it harder to work on them, though.

19. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years ago

I have several unfinished hubs.  One started and a few more running around in my head still.  I just never find the time to write.  I need to take a few hours each day and just write.  I never have the time anymore, though.

20. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 14 years ago

I have four at the moment. If I realise I'm never going to finish a hub I don't hang onto it, though. I've started at least 5 hubs and then realised that they were ill thought out and subsequently deleted them.

I can't imagine having over ten, yet alone 24! That could be because at the moment I can't seem to finish just one. But, there you go!

21. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I have 8-10 hubs in the works.  More ideas than time, and I hate publishing a rough draft!  I am too much of a perfectionist for that.

22. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

four at the moment.

-sigh-

23. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

None. I think of a hub, then write it.

1. Janet21 profile image81
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me, too.  I have one.  The one I am working on.  smile

I find that when I have too many unfinished hubs, I get frazzled.  Like I have this big pile of work that I am never going to finish!  Personally, I just can't work that way.  So, I just start one hub at a time and work on it from start to finish.  Then, move onto the next.

24. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I normally have 3-4 hubs in the works.  The most I've had was 16 and I eventually deleted 6 of them before finishing them.  I just decided they were topics I really didn't want to bother with.  Prior to the HubChallenge I usually just sat down and wrote a hub from start to finish in one sitting.  Since the Hub Challenge I find that I enjoy working on bits of lots of them until I have more on one than the others and then I'll finish it up.

25. My Inner Jew profile image60
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

I find i write best when I am inspired.  Whether it was a memory of something that lead me to write a topic off it or so on.
    Currently I have 40 hubs that are in waiting.  All of them something I want to write about, but I get distracted by something that really incites me or i really feel like talking about at the moment so it goes on the back burner sad

26. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I have several all over my computer and can't decide which one to finish or work on or find tongue lol really got learn to organize them better tongue lol

1. rancidTaste profile image62
      rancidTasteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same thing happens to me. I have some hubs as unpublished in my account. Moreover, there are some hubs which only is written on notepad....

Hope, to finish them all before hubchallenge is over !!

smile

27. profile image53
    MSmithHubposted 14 years ago

Two. Need more times to put a finishing touch.

28. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I have 16 unpublished hubs - clearly, I need to get a grip!

29. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

I tend to only create one Hub at a time in Hubpages but have lots of ideas in Word files so I currently have around 10-15 Hub ideas but nothing within Hubpages unpublished.  I try to map out what the hub will look like in Word before I transfer the text into capsules.

I do find it helps to 'cook' them for a few days unpublished as it pushes the hub Score up before publishing.

30. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Look at people here they have so many ideas to work on. I have none. Yes you heard it right, NONE. I should be ashamed of myself, should kill myself. Idea for any Hub come with great difficulty to me. I finish one then only start thinking about other. I just cannot think about so many ideas parallelly. Processor on my shoulders is still of 8085 family.....

1. LondonGirl profile image80
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That might be a slight over-reaction....

1. packerpack profile image60
        packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You caught me! Yes that was an over-reaction. I just tried to be funny. But actually you guys are great, so many ideas you guys have. Hats off!

31. BundleBoy profile image69
    BundleBoyposted 14 years ago

I had close to 8 but published 7 in the last couple of days, just one more to go.

32. Jerilee Wei profile image67
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I never have more than 1-3 unfinished hubs that I'm working on.  I write almost entirely online within hubpages, with some notes that I've scribbled when waiting in the car, etc.  For me, it's write a little, do something else, and come back to it, until it's done.  I keep a notebook of ideas that I'm always adding to for future hubs.  I clip articles related to the topics when I come across them.  For me the world is filled with ideas, never have had writers block or drawn a blank on what to write about.

What works for me is around 1500 words, ten outside links, 3 videos, at least 5 pictures and the most important part is giving the reader real content and something extra that hopefully they don't know or expect.  Keeping in mind that it is a global audience of many differing levels of english, understanding, and educations -- is a biggie with me too.

1. SEM Pro profile image81
      SEM Proposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE your hubs Jerilee! The multi-media aspect truly adds flavor, intrigue, info and all your hubs honor us with real content. When I first came to hp I read that to be a potentially "recognized" hub, it had to meet those criteria i.e. 1500 words, videos, pics and links. Still haven't figured out how to get a news feed to remain relevant though.

I too keep a journal and jot the multitude of ideas that pop into my head. Sometimes I'll pause by the stream during a walk and write a page or two but lately I've been debating posting shorter hubs - some say to stick to only 600+ words for wide readership. That peels my ideas into at least 3 inter-related ones.

It takes me a long time to sift through and find relevant videos so I've started to add possible links onto notes. Any suggestions on cutting that time down?

And for Lisa, another source for pics is through scrapbooking software. I don't stick to just photographs though,I like the variety of cartoon type pics to lighten things up on some.

You must be a truly amazing writer Jerilee, to write most directly on hp. I tend to remember the words of a professional speech writer who said it takes him about 5 minutes to write an hour long speech and at least 3 hours to write a 5 minute one. Thus, I tend to revise by slashing the unnecessary as often as I can. Yours have little or no irrelevant material - on the 1st draft - yikes - go Girl!

33. Uninvited Writer profile image78

And I just went to delete one of those unpublished ones and ended up finishing it smile

34. dianacharles profile image59
    dianacharlesposted 14 years ago

I can only write when hubby is away at sea...so now I just look at all my incomplete hubs and sigh...

35. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I don't have any here but I am holding one for the July 4.

36. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

None! I do them one at a time and aim to finish in one go or at the latest on the following day!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)