How do new parents stay fit inspite having a new baby?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

Taking care of a new baby changes routines.  Sleeping habits and patterns change, eating habits change just to name a few.  How can a new parent stay fit with the new responsibility of caring for a new babay

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't. You try for a while, but then you realize you just sold off 18 years of your life. You will try to keep going to the gym, but you just don't have that kind of time (or money anymore), so you determine to jog and do stuff at home. That fails too, and after a while, the very sight of those videos and home equipment you bought will infuriate you to the point you either throw it away and don't even bother with a yard sale, or you just throw it in a shed or a corner and do the denial thing of "I'll use it again some day."

After this faze, as they get older, you start to see the pattern of throwing out  old clothes that don't fit in favor of ones that do. At first you kind of shrug and figure, well, that's life, but then you actually start to notice sagging or stretch marks. You will blow those off for a while. Then, you will freak out and rejoin the gym. This will again fail after 5 months to a year. However, you will buy through your efforts another year of fitting into your older "thinner" clothes, and you will throw away your "thickening" clothes.

THen you will gain it all back and then some, making it so that having those old fat clothes doesn't matter anyway because you need fatter ones.

You will start to realize that there is a reason that your parents, and their parents and every set of parents going back into the dawn of time were all jacked up and unattractive. You will hate realizing that you are one of them. However, you will be old enough to start aging with dignity, and you will accept it.  This often comes with heavy drinking.

Drinking will make you fatter.

You will gain three clothing sizes. This will freak you out again and you will have another spasm of gym membership and subsequent failure.

You will finally just buy clothes that fit you, realizing that you are old and have kids and you will never be a sexual creature again. You begin to be happy and actually enjoy life.

Then your kid has a baby and someone calls you "grandpa" or "grandma." You have another gym thing. You get over it. You decide drinking really does only have upsides despite what your stupid doctor says.

You die happy, somewhere between 65 and 102 depending entirely on genetics and having nothing to do with anything the insurance industry or medicine-for-profit cabal tries to sell you to the contrary.

Good luck.

1. jpcmc profile image89
        jpcmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So having a baby can cause additional fats.  LOL

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
          Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup. But they'd have you believe it's something way more complicated... and that you can stop if you buy stuff... health care stuff, treatments, drugs, memberships, etc.

It's a progression of human experience. The only reason people think it isn't is because companies that market various vanity products and "health" stuff try to create the illusion that for $X you can do this thing or buy that or take this other thing and stave off what every other human in the course of time has gone through. And, as a cool side-effect, the stress of all this trying to avoid reality had been a real financial boon for not just the medical establishment but the mental health and related arms of pharmacology.

1. jpcmc profile image89

Well, good thing I'm not into that 6-pack drop dead gorgeous body thing.  All I'm looking for is a way to be healthier and fit.  I don't mind the addition flabs on my side, but I do want to climb stairs without having to catch my breath every 3 floors.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 12 years ago

My grandson (4 months) gets fussy and we head out for a walk. He quiets immediately and I get exercise. They are little for such a short time. I can't believe that my baby will be 20 this year.
    Practice little things like good posture when lifting baby.
    Abs tucked when you pick kiddo up will help avoid the punch that comes from bad habits.

1. jpcmc profile image89

I guess it's in the small things that we do that we get the exercise we need.

3. Lady Wordsmith profile image74
    Lady Wordsmithposted 12 years ago

I find it really easy, because I play with my kids, and take them for walks, play football in the park with them, all kinds of stuff.  Getting fit doesn't just happen in the gym (in fact it never happens in the gym for me - so boring!), it happens in the whole of your life.  Yes, you do have to make lifestyle changes when you have a baby - but it's not written anywhere that those changes all have to be negative.  Having kids was the best thing I ever did - I've never been fitter in my life, what with all the lifting of babies who get heavier by the day, and pushing of the pram when we walk into town; you should see the muscles in my arms after teaching my kids to ride their bikes without stabilisers! 

It's easy to stay fit with kids - if you're a positive person!  You take your lead from them - kids naturally want to play (not all of them, I'll admit that), and you should play with them.  If you don't want to play with them, why on earth did you have them? 

My kids are still small, but we're really looking forward to getting out on bikes and going for long rides with them soon.

Get outside - that's the way to stay fit with kids.

Lx.

1. jpcmc profile image89

I appreciate your insights.  Of course I want to play with my baby.  Recently she discovered walking - or at least the attempt to walk.  It can be tiring.  Every weekends we go to the park and spend lots of time. 

I agree with you that getting fit does not happen Also, I never went to a gym.  I had my own routines at home and outside.

4. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

It's difficult the first year. Then, once they start walking, you'll suddenly see your own activity level increasing.

1. jpcmc profile image89

I'm getting a prelude to the walking stage of my child.  It's really tiring.  They have so much energy.

5. Melindas Mind profile image67
    Melindas Mindposted 12 years ago

I've never mastered this myself, so I'm just speaking from what I've seen. My sister in law, who is a size 1 (not a typo, she's literally a size one), and has three children, two of whom are twins, would strap the twins in their highchairs with their breakfast and let the toddler watch a movie every morning, while she did a half hour exercise video. I've known other women who'd get up a half hour earlier than their kids so they could do an exercise video. There are exercise video's you can get that incorporate your child, found here.

1. jpcmc profile image89

Thanks for the fascinating site. The yoga DVD looks neat.

1. Melindas Mind profile image67
        Melindas Mindposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. It's a pretty cool idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)