Why is it easier for people to accept the physical reality of life...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (35 posts)
  1. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

Why is it easier for people to accept the physical reality of life and turn away from the spiritual reality?

What I mean by this is..

People readily accept evolution (even though it is just a theory and there is no proof it is a fact).

People would rather look at sickness and illness being caused by bacteria or virus' then thinking there may be "something" else causing it. (i.e. a curse, a demon, ect.)

People would rather view things through the flesh then thinking there is truly more to life then our physical senses.

1. H P Roychoudhury profile image41
      H P Roychoudhuryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, people could not restore the whole belief over curse or blessings although a belief in God is prevailing in the Universe under the division of humanity under different religion being created by the messengers of God or by the skill and intelligence of the messengers in doubt.

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing or even pathetis how there are people still out there who'd rather dismiss evolution and go with the idea that the world was made in 7 days and that life started in a Garden of Eden inhabited by a talking snake. You'd think that a kid would dismiss this idea by the tiem he or she reaches the teenage years along with Santa, ghosts and the Easter Bunny.

3. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Accepting that there IS a spiritual reality means changing how you think and behave.

Until one becomes aware of the existence of the spiritual realm, they can reside in the comfort zones of the five senses they know about, and life can be led as you will, for there are no apparent external forces that demand attention.

Spiritual awakening changes all that, and some folk are not keen to go there.

This can be extreme avoidance, such as militant atheism, or lesser, like agnosticism, or plain spiritual inert, i.e. that have not awakened, or when they were first 'approached' in the spirit, they denied it and created excuses to avoid the connection being commenced.

Like Emile I think this aspect has been done to death, but I will comment.

Evolution does have SOME substance, in that there has been an evolutionary pattern in the world as species and the world itself adapted to change, where it enters the realm of theory is the assertion that evolution explains HOW we got here.

The same can be said for Creationism and Evidence of Design, for the simple reason that only God knows HOW it all happened, which leaves evolutionary evangelists with a solid reason to TRY and claim evidence that does not exist.

I would guess that God is amused by the arguments. smile

Started to answer this, but it turned into an article, so I will publish it, as this is a vast and much misunderstood subject.

Of course, because as I said (and as science has now proven) accepting a spiritual existence requires the acceptance that there is something MORE significant then SELF, and most people choose SELF and EGO over knowing spiritual truths, which is why believers term them as being in 'rebellion' against God, and why they MUST deny Gods existence, and indeed deny ANY spiritual realm, to mask their error.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it means you've stopped thinking altogether and will probably begin behaving badly by fabricating or propagating stories about the existence of a spiritual reality.

Yes, exactly like that.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

we believe in it because it is reality. it isn't something that some people claim they have faith in or something that some people claim to believe but can't explain. bacteria are real, science has shown that, god, not likely.

5. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In just responding to the part about physical reality, and why people can accept those things easier.....  I think it is because its easier to deal with what is undeniable.  What is right in front of us and obviously true.  Its just easier, and we often don't want to push ourselves beyond what is easy.   Societies world over are showing this to be true. 

It is then easy to simply assert things AS true, and move on. Most people just don't want to think deeply about things.  It is as if they want the world and its dimensions to be a certain way, and are trying to define it as such.

Does that work though?

6. A Troubled Man profile image59

Could be because there's no such thing as a "spiritual reality"

Evolution is a fact, please don't spread lies about stuff you obviously know nothing about.

That would be the ultimate in ignorance and stupidity to believe such nonsense.

No one has ever shown there is more to life than the physical, hence it's not a preference to view it that way, it is a requirement.

1. tom hellert profile image61
        tom hellertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find it funny- if God did not want us to wonder about things he would not havemade it so.. i believe he placed the oddities dead ends and odd branch-offs for a reason- Thats right KIDS- Controlled Evolution If God does not want a species to continue- he will make something happen to takem out ...How could HE do that? What could it be called Oh yes he could call it natural... hhhmmm natural what ...oh yes natural Selection....HE is nature and HE is selecting it ...its the Why that irks people....100's and 1000's of species go extinct every year... WHY ... "Thy will be done"ThAT IS THE  AMAZING PART if he does not give a species tools to survive- they can not hope to...- Not everything died when the asteroid hit the earth and finished of the Dinos why? "thy will be done...".
        Th

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image58
          Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a very interesting theory you have made up. Oh wait, am I jumping the gun? Do you have evidence for you claims?

Which part hippie?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image58

All the parts about god and what he does.

OK hippie,
                ets look a little deeper-
                My whole theorum is that  I STILL find it funny- "if God did not want us to wonder about things he would not havemade it so. ".  as i stated before
                if God wanted us toknow everything we would know it- just like you if you WANTED me TO KNOW SOMETHING YOU WOULD TELL ME right iF THERE ARE THINGS YOU DON'T YOU WOULDN'T - RIGHT??? That is let see logic unless you are sociopathic and desire to lie for "mistruths" sake - RIGHT???

- NEXT this seems rather straightforward to me but....-"I believe he (God) placed the oddities dead ends and odd branch-offs for CONTROLLED EVOLUTION- If God does not want a species to continue- he will make something happen to takem out" ... DO I KNOW WHY HE DOES OR DOESN'T ... "Above my pay grade -lol.....'stupid-Obama' joke HA" Who am I to say that what or WHY God does this...maybe he likes blue birdsbetter than green... How the heck should or could I know maybe he does it just to screw with nonbelievers heads-thats what i would do... like u say i believe in Steered evolution...

NEXT...How could HE do that? What could it be called Oh yes he could call it natural... hhhmmm natural what ...oh yes natural Selection....HE is nature and HE is selecting it ... Gosh that seems really straightforward....

its the Why that irks people (Im sure present company included here too!!!1)....

100's and 1000's of species go extinct every year... WHY ... "Thy will be done" ThAT IS THE  AMAZING PART if he does not give a species tools to survive- they can not hope to...- Not everything died when the asteroid hit the earth and finished of the Dinos why? "thy will be done...". As for this last part not everything did die when the asteroid hit finishing off the dinosaurs- they were already dieing out from disease and lack of food- coming ice age and all then the meteors and other natural orogenic (mountain building)events - volcanoes n quakes sending  all that particulates into the air blotting out the sun etc etc- hurried up the whole  dino extinctionthing ---
                Say Hipp, what are the odds of an asteroid hitting the earth???? can you say Chicxulub? Tunguska? anyone? Based on the items put fouth by the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR) project at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology  The LINEAR expect about one large asteroid to impact Earth every 100 million years or so. I've seenthat stat more than once-but 100 million is one of the more conservative estimate out there... So i'm sorry i guess i just used facts n logic to say what i say.
                Th

7. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because we have laboratories and instruments to analyze and research such things.

8. tom hellert profile image61

ii3,

Shakespeare, "If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge"?
      Yet if our soul is hurt... better yet how does your spul get hurt...
      you can stub your toe but you cant stub your soul?. can you see hear touch taste  or taste the soul humans are tied into the 5 senses.... yet some people can see and read the soul. The majority of folks miss the etherial part of existance because they are too busy concentrating on the 5 senses part of life. There are those that believe our senses are like the tip of the iceberg of what is in the universe, the visible light frequencies are only a small section of the wavelengths available less than 10%+-. as suc why should we assume all things must bee seen to be real????

TH

9. Jesus was a hippy profile image58

Because physical reality is real and spirituality has yet to be demonstrated to exist.

Evolution is a fact that is explained by the theory of evolution.

That is because it is a fact that bacteria and viruses cause sickness and illness and it can be proven so. It has nothing to do with what people "rather". What makes you think that emotions have a bearing on reality?

Again with the emotions. It has nothing to do with what people "rather". It is because of proven facts.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Hmmm...

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because the physical they can see, they can't see the unseen. So of course if it is not in front of their eyes it is not real. lol

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I'm going to bypass your comment on evolution. That argument has been done to death here.

But illness the result of demons or a curse? Really? You honestly don't see why most people would prefer to accept what medical science has proven as fact? So, how do you think illness should be addressed? Prayer and magical poultices?

1. profile image0
      Hubert Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just a question. Is that not a fairy as your avatar? If so, why do you question magic? Just a question.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is a fairy. I love fantasy. I do understand the difference between fantasy and reality, though.

I'm not attempting to make fun of anyone. I have simply never understood the need to see cosmic evil. Why would it be that gods and demons would exist and the demons would have so much more power in our world? That would mean that we were the product of a not all powerful god, or a completely callous one. I don't really want to consider myself the butt of a cosmic joke; or the pawn of a bored deity.

Illness could not be a punishment or a curse. It is just a part of the world we inhabit.

1. profile image0
          Hubert Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I too am a fan of fantasy. I was just wanting to understand where you were coming from. Thank you for clearing it up. I agree with what you said, I just neede to hear that you knew the difference between fantasy and reality. Nice fairy picture. Thanks again for the civil exchange.

2. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We allowed them the power, with our rebellion against God, what we allow He will allow us to have, that's divine justice, and our enemy has every right to afflict those who he has authority over, and we either give him authority (by default) or deny him authority; by coming under the authority of Christ by our own free choice.

Yes and no.... we choose whether we wish to be under the authority of a callous god (our enemy) or a just God (Christ). God does have all power and authority, but also gave us free choice to usurp His power and authority and continue to live under the authority of the 'Prince' of this world, who is our enemy.

And you are not, you are the loved child of a magnificent God, who is hurting every time that you allow your enemy to do harm or damage to you or those you also love.

And it IS part of the world we inhabit because we rebel against God, when we are under His authority and protection, we have less exposure to sickness and disease, I say less, because MOST people, even believers do things which give the enemy power to attack them, and with that authority he can cause us damage and harm. But the damage can be restored and the harm minimised when we 'dwell in the shadow of the Most High'

1. profile image0

Point to ponder. I'm not in rebellion. Nor do I give authority to any evil. I don't recognize evil. I think, those who recognize it and lay blame at its feet are attempting to give it power and stature.

I have never believed that, if God exists, he doesn't like me. Far from it. I have never shaken my fist at the heavens, or blamed God for anything.

But, I take offense at your last paragraph. My father was a good man. If anyone 'walked in the footsteps of Christ' it was that man. He cared for everyone he came across and always extended a helping hand. Because that was his understanding of what was expected of him. He did not become ill because he rebelled against God. He became ill because of the fact that we, as humans, have mucked this environment up. Because we have allowed corporations free reign to bombard us with deadly chemicals in our daily walk through life.

If you want to think your God is attacking us, feel free. But do not expect me to be enamored with your assessment.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

lol Can you show us that someday?

1. profile image0

Hi ATM. I see you arrived with your usual sarcasm, and lack of substance. You are nothing, if not predictable. smile

4. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

There are holes in the evolution theory. Some creatures have evolved, some have not. Some we thought were extinct, are not. (Coelacanthe fish, and proto-horses)  Within the last thirty years, unknown species of antelope and deer have been photographed, in the wild, in S.E.Asia. All is not cut and dried in evolution. It is reported that we have acheived evolutionary changes which were not chemically or radiationaly(?) induced, in a single generation, backing up field observations of certain bird species in noneother than, the Galapagos Islands, where it was noted that the decline of a certain species saw the rise of a new species directly related to, but separate from the first. Already, the textbooks are changing, with the report by Discover magazine of deep sea fishing operations being conducted off the coast of Australia some forty thousand years ago. (Which requires more than a stick and a floating log!) The very nature of energy, in the Einsteinian sense of the word must give us pause to wonder at the true nature of life, and therefore, consciousness. We don't know everything yet. Not by a long shot.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

And yet, you are entirely incapable of producing any holes or explaining why there are holes, but you'll still make such ridiculous claims, anyways.

It's called intellectual dishonesty.

1. janesix profile image59
        janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please don't tell me you think the theory of evolution is anywhere NEAR complete?

It's not even close.

jane6
          Are you talking to me?

1. janesix profile image59
            janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, a troubled man

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

Why do believers constantly comment dishonestly on things they don't understand? What's the point? To make yourselves look completely foolish? Very strange behavior, indeed.

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

bacteria vs demons:  Maybe we believe the former rather than the latter because it works.  We design a drug to kill bacteria and use it the illness usually goes away.  We cast out demons and the illness typically remains.

Given the variables to contend with, killing bacteria works and casting out demons doesn't.  I thus choose to believe the bacteria theory over the demon theory.  Reality trumps belief of supernatural every time.

6. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

Dang, this thread is fascinating-wish I had time to contribute now, but I must go tend to the hubby...lol

7. Disappearinghead profile image59
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

How would a demon cause a sickness? Do they understand the complexities of the immune system and somehow reconfigure it to prevent it working? Do demons have the ability to create chemical toxins and inject them into our bodies? Do demons understand genetics and are able to corrupt DNA to produce cancer cells? Do they understand the bio electrical chemical processes of the brain and are able to disrupt key neural pathways? If a demon is not a physical entity, how exactly does it manipulate physical things?

Perhaps demons don't exist after all, heck the OT never mentions them, and sickness is caused by bacteria, viruses, malnutrition, and the effects of the environment on our bodies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)