Is 2012 another Y2K are all the Factors Present for the End of Times?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 12 years ago

Many say that the Bible predictions have been fulfilled, have they? Is the 2012 just another Y2K or is it just the end of a calender  or the world?

1. aka-dj profile image67
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I take any dated endings with due suspicion.

Christians are told of an imminent return by Christ for the Church, so, in a sense, we coud be gone tomorrow (I doubt it though).

So, for Mayans to get it right is a bit far fetched, but it makes for a great script for a movie.
      (Didn't really enjoy that one much!)

Watching world events and trends, however, seems to point to us living well and truly in the last of the last days.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What makes the Christian "knowledge" superior to that of the Mayans?  Particularly as they have been saying the end is imminent for a thousand years?

At least the Mayans haven't been proven wrong once each year for two millennia.

Who said it was superior?

Read my post. If an opinion is sought by the OP, that's what I gave.
          It's no life transforming doctrine, just my way of viewing the idea of the end of days.

Sorry - I read it as the Christians have an idea of Christ coming back so the Mayan idea is far fetched  as it doesn't take that into account, but would make a great fictional story.

Yes it would (make a good fictional story), but then it would become a true story AFTER it happens! lol

Much like the return of Christ, huh?

What do you mean "much like".

That's exactly what I was saying. cool

My apologies - as happens too often, I have misinterpreted your words and did not catch that you were treating the bible as the same kind of fiction the mayans presented.

Sometimes these things go right over my head for some reason and this was one of them.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

According to the Christians it's supposed to be unknown. Revelation says that Jesus too doesn't know when it's going to happen and only God The Father knows it.

Maybe that's why the mayan story is patently false, then.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The 21st december 2012 nonsense is a misinterpretation of a mayan calender. It didn't come from the bible.

Seriously dude, do you have a comprehension problem, or maybe you are dyslexic?

The post never claimed 2012 was from Christian teaching!

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
          Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So why are the bible prophecies mentioned? Do YOU have a comprehension problem or are you just an insulting arse?

Sorry, I can't help you.

Perhaps you should get sober first, re read the post (op), and you will see that Christian views and 2012 Mayan calendar are NOT related, other than by their commonality of the end of the world.

If you new anything about Bible prophecy, eschatology and doctrine, you would know that we are neither able nor permitted to "name the date and time" of the end.

PS, please tone down the name calling! hmm

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

It's the end of the long count calendar. Or, who knows. Maybe the end of the world. Either way, we might as well continue on...business as usual. What could possibly be gained by fretting over it?

I'd be surprised if monotheists found a way to buy into the Mayan prophecy, though. Imagine a culture that believed in human sacrifice accurately predicting the end of the world. It would tend to imply that believers in Y-H and Allah were less informed than another ancient religion, on a cosmic scale.

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Yes, of course.  The earth, and mankind, still exist and that is all that necessary for the possibility of end times.

In addition, though, all the prophecies of both the bible and Nostradamus have been fulfilled; all one has to do to clearly see this is interpret them properly.  Change the meaning of the words from what they say to what fits the facts of history.

We are doomed!

4. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Those prophesy which Jesus spoke of being fulfilled were those which had already been written at that time
    And Then ...  John wrote the book of Rev. which spoke of those prophesy which he had witnessed being fulfilled and he wrote of those things which were being fulfilled at that time ..  and then he wrote of things which were to happen in the future.
    Many of those prophesy which is said to be of future events (back in 96 AD) are now in our past.
       I can not imagine it being any other way.
    Think about it. How many times is it written that when one of these prophetic events happened  that "They didn't repent”  and then  God sent the next event".
       How can 21 judgments (seals, trumpets and bowls) all happen within 3 1/2 years on earth; and we be able to tell when one ended and another began?
    Not to mention, having enough time to repent between them.

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Point being .. I think the end of days as Jesus represented them did in fact come to fulfillment around 138 AD,

And the last days of indignation as foretold in the book of Revelation Chapter 16 are upon us.  The first bowl was poured out in the 14th century when the bubinic plague kills 1/2 to 2/3s of the population of Europe and Asia. Some theologians believe that WWI marks the time of the sixth bowl being poured out.

6. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

What do bible predictions have to do with 2012?

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about that.

The OP was about the "end of times"  so I guess I presumed ?

It is my belief that the 42 months of the Beast in Rev. C 13 calculates as being finished around that time.

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh i didnt mean you, i was asking the one who started this thread

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's OK .. I thought you were and that would have been an appropriate question.

I think that 42 months began approx. 1644 years ago and will be coming to an end in the next few years.  Maybe the poster is thinging along those lines whether they applied the calculations or not.

7. profile image49
    kuhrdan1posted 12 years ago

There is a significant flaw in the argument that the Bible represents a stable, unsullied continuity with both the historical and spiritual past. The Bible has undergone numerous translations by, unfortunately, primarily from a male perspective.  Words do not have an exact equivalence in meaning from one language to another or from one setting to another.  Hence what we have is book conaining interpretative text.  In the process of translating and interpreting it into new forms of text the orginal intentions are lost. Therefore, the matter of faith comes in.  More importantly is that women played a significant role in the development of early Christianity.  Their contributions have been obliterated from church history. A result of this is what we are experiencing in the United States of uneducated men dictating how women are to choose their medical needs. And on the flip side of the coin the Roman Catholic Church is unabashedly express virulent homophobia. Colonial history demonstrates that Biblical teachings and notions of conquest and accepting new ethnic populations as other  coincided. For instance the United States began by the migration of Christian from England and Europe, who sought liberty and freedom.  Once they landed on the continent, these Christians had not problems annihilating local Indian populations, which from my own sense, is not very Christian. I am speaking from the position of privilege as a man!

8. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

short answer to ur question is NO....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)