What's your opinion on the end of the world in 2012

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 67 discussions (130 posts)
  1. mlizardo2010 profile image61
    mlizardo2010posted 14 years ago

I recently saw a show on the history channel that was about Nostradamus and his predictions for the end of the world. It also spoke of the Mayans prediction and how other religions back up the theory in their own way and all those theories conclude that the end of the world will be Dec 21, 2012.
    Could it be possible that the government has evidence that this will occur but is hiding it from us? In my opinion, nothing is going to happen in 2012, and I do beleive that the government knows somenthing about our planet deteriorating but they're just painting a pretty picture for us,assuring us that there is a solution but there isnt and is kind of scary. Let us unite and survive anything that mother nature might bring our way. Im ready for anything. How about you?

What's your opinion on these predictions? Do you beleive that we will all die like in the movie 2012? Do you believe that the government has some kind of salvation for us?

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not.  Anything designed to put fear in us and gives us a false sense of hopeless future is wrong and should be avoided.  Doom was not part of our design.  We should, however, live each moment of each day as if it were our last in mortality.  In other words we should make haste to improve our attitudes, foundations of faith, charity, raising of children, family history work and much much more.  Those are the things that give us purpose and a bright sense of future, not indulging in and debating the "end of the world."

I know, it's fun though.. smile

1. Richard A. Nelson profile image60
        Richard A. Nelsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is for the non- beleiver who say thisis just another day.  Every time the moon and sun align for a solar eclipse they cause extra gravitational strain on Earth, these have been known to correlate rather well with earthquakes and other seismic activities. On this day Dec. 21, 2012 it has been proven that our sun will align and eclispe the center of the galaxy.  Which happens to be an ENORMOUS SOURCE of gravitational energy. Powerful enough to keep our sun in orbit thousands of light years away.  The supermassive blackhole out weighs anything in our galaxy by a million times. There will be strain similar to that at the solar eclispe only this time the sun behaves like the moon and the supermassive blackhole behaves like the sun.  But yes only god will know what or when anything as unpredictable as seismic events will actually occur.  I am just saying it could happen than or shortly after.

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have wondered ?   Is that black hole far enough away, and is the sun big enough that the sun could be said to eclipse the earth from the black hole?
             And If so would that not block out some of that gravitational pull just a tiny bit?

Probably a stupid question?  Something that I have wondered a few times.

2. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you have any evidence of this alignment, I have heard it a few times now and have always thought that calenders like the Mayan which are based on astronomy would know this alignment - and put it at the end of their calendar.

It is my understanding that this alignment is what the calandar is based upon.  I think it repeats this cycle every 26000 years.

2. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

2012 is the end.............

of  2011. big_smile

3. yolanda yvette profile image61
      yolanda yvetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only God knows when THIS world will end.

4. Jerami profile image59

If we want to know where we are going all that is necessaty is to  see where we have come from.. look at where we are at. Project that path into the future and we will see where we are going to arrive.
         If you do not like what we see...  change course if possible

5. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i dont think world would end 2012..in worst case human species might end some day but does that mean world would end?..some other species might enter the scene..till sun is there and earth environment is feasible for life it would continue..

exactly...  And as far as humanity is concerned ?
        Why do we believe that this realm of reality is the only one that exists.  I think that if mankind is to truly evolve ?? ? it can't be done in this realm.

Kinda like the caterpillar and butterfly thing.
        The individual caterpillars’ world  must come to an end in order for the butterfly to begin its journey.

6. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend mlizardo2010

It is correct that the End Times is there; and that is why the advent of the End Time Reformer as prophesied by all revealed Religions has taken place in the symbolic form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908- the Promised Messiah, Second Coming of Jesus, Krishna , Buddha, Zoroaster, Imam Mahdi etc.

There will be no end of the world on Dec 21, 2012; rest assured.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

7. Instrumentally profile image60
      Instrumentallyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It won't be the end of the world it's just fear mongering. But I believe something will happen though I don't doubt that. It's being hyped to much by the corporate media and the elites.

8. stoneangel444 profile image59
      stoneangel444posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Over a period of many years there have been the nay sayers and the negative folks . This is merely emphasis on the negative. I can remember seeing TV  pic's of some guy standing in time square wearing a sandwich board warning all those who pass by about the end being near. That would have been the mid 60's and most of us are still here.LOL
      Living your life fear of the end only deprives you of the quality of life you could enjoy. There will always be the negative people in this world.
      There was also a period of time when building bomb shelaters became an obsession with a few Americans. We will all be nuked any day!!
      This is merely a new reach for publicity on behalf of a few who have interrepted some very old writings. If they are right we will know in 2012. If they are wrong we will have a very good Christmas in 2012. I would like to wish one and all a very Merry Christmas.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only truthful thing in this 2012 saga is that Holywood never let truth get in the way of a blockbuster movie. There's much money to be had, and many people have been.

9. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, i haven't read all the posts so don't know what other people said, but what I do know is that the trouble with Nostradamus is in the translation of his work, irrespective of whether his premonitions were correct or not. People have tried to translate his words, yet have they done this accurately? And many of the translations are still pretty vague. I had a book once, that I borrowed from my boss - and even the book was not very precise. 

I really do not believe the end of the world will be in 2012!

1. profile image50

Hi friend  Polly C

I agree with you.

Thanks

10. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe its more the end of this age and the heralding of a new age of mass enlightenment.

11. profile image52
      ethanwooddposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The story of ending this world in 2012 is completely baseless. It is nothing but just a publicity stunt to promote the movie 2012.
      http://ezinearticles.com/?Muscle-Max-XL … id=3622434

12. profile image53
      kidjohnsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

December 21, 2012 will be my 62 birthday.  I have wondered about the Mayan prediction and Nostodamus predicition for a long time.  Though not looking forward to the end of the world it might be a fitting conclusion to a  what the hell am I doing here life. I live in a country where its purpose is to spread revolution and has been doing so since  the day I was born.  I can not remember a time when an uncle, a cousin, classmate or myself was not involved in some overseas conflict.  It is even  true today.  We are the new Mayans,  the big kahouna of the new world.  The end in  2012 is plausable as nations look at us as more as a threat than as a savior.  The shovels of the peace core,  vista,  job core have been long melted into gun barrels.  Fanatics plot ways to destroy us. Some us live in fear,  waiting  for the next  9-11, while some over throw governments trying to prevent it and in doings so create another enemy.

2. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

WHAT yikes

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe (in accordance to ancient Sanskrit prophecies), that the world ended in 1969 with the formation of that band "Sha Na Na".

What we are currenty living in is 'Hell".. which would explain my Adsense Revenue totals.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
        Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Seriously, even the Mayans don't think the world is going to end end in 2012. My understanding is that their calendar will just reset.

(Of course, that may be a cataclysmic event for the folks to have to carve those big darn rock-hewn calendars...)

2. Wendy Krick profile image62
        Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL! You are funny!

3. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

LOL Greek hehe,
    I dont know about 2012, I have many things that I am thinking so I dont dwell on that day futuristic thinking in that kind of way

4. lightning john profile image61
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

If it ends?  You mean if you end.  We are not so important to the earth!

5. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

End of the world in 2012?  Let's see isn't the axis of rotation of a planet supposed to undergo a shift resulting in gobal catastrophes and destruction. Oh wait, that was my 4th marriage... never mind.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, (funny joke btw to) but the Earth axis did shift with the Chile earthquake in .... March 2010.  It was pretty significant as far as I know, about 3 degrees but not a lot of catastrophe just bad marriages.  big_smile

6. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Well I'm certain we're all going to die! I doubt it will happen to us all at once regardless of the year. I don't think the government has any knowledge in that regard that they aren't sharing. That kind of information would be generated by the scientific community and it would be next to impossible to keep it totally secret.

7. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Bring it on.  We won't have to listen to that Justin Beiber kid anymore hopefully.

8. ilmdamaily profile image69
    ilmdamailyposted 14 years ago

The boys over at NASA tackled this one - turns out it's all hype.

I'm inclined to believe them - after all they've been to the moon.

Or have they?

Beat that, Mayans!

9. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

These Mayans everyone refers to....where are they now?  They could predict our demise but not their own?

We've been to the moon????  yikes

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really?  When?

10. figment profile image74
    figmentposted 14 years ago

The Mayan's did not believe it was the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it.  They actually refer to December 21, 2012 as "Creation Day".  I believe we are at the beginning stage of great catastrophic changes.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brought to us by Obama and company!

11. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

IF the world is ending, I can't stop it, so I am going to go on with my life.

12. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

wait a minute!! why is this under marijuana use?  lol  lol thats funny...

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe the OP was under the influence when posting.

I'm sure it will come and go like 1-1-2000.

there are already changes taking place. life continues to evolve.
      too bad so many focus on these kind of predictions and miss living their lives now... hmm

13. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I'm against it.  That's my opinion.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

me too. that sounds like the best answer.  smile

14. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

So funny.

15. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

I will be gutted.  The house will only just be finished and I won't have had time to enjoy it.  If the worlds really ending in a couple of years, I want to max out the credit cards and see the world - pleasure without fear of the financial consequences!  Every time I phone my sister and complain about the rennovations she says ' Why bother, the worlds ending soon anyway.' Where would we be with that attitude huh?  Well in my case, probably a lot more chilled out. Dam!

16. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Ask me in 2013.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let's all meet here on December 22, 2012... smile

17. blondepoet profile image69
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I guess it is going to happen when it happens. I seriously don't dwell on it, I am having too much fun today. wink

1. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

BP has a good spirit!! smile

I don't want it to end, but hey, what can you do?

1. blondepoet profile image69
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's right Dre, I mean we have our tango lesson tomorrow. Life is just a blast. smile

2. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The end of the world will not happen today, it's already tomorrow in Australia!

Hahaha oh now that is hilarious. smile

1. profile image59

So I guess I need to go to Australia so the world will never end!

That one went way over my head LMAO.
            But honestly if you want to know what happens tomorrow for you, just ask me. I can tell you one day in advance if the world has ended. smile

1. profile image59

I'm waiting to hear! smile

2. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol that will work! Good theory. smile It will always be tomorrow!

Australia rocks!!!!!!

1. calpol25 profile image57
                calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Britain sinks and Australia rocks lol smile

18. Ralph Deeds profile image63
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

I'm not losing any sleep over it.

19. Highvoltagewriter profile image67
    Highvoltagewriterposted 14 years ago

"It is the end of the world as we know it and I don't mind!" People been predicting the end for quite sometime now, and it still keeps spinning around! It all bunch of hype...however IF we live every day like it will be our last I believe we would be better off...

1. lightning john profile image61
      lightning johnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right on Highvoltagewriter!

20. PackSecure profile image60
    PackSecureposted 14 years ago

BOGUS !

21. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I've seen enough of those end-of-the-world-predicted-by-someone-or-another days come and go that I'm not spinning my wheels over this next one.  One of these "fine days" people will stop paying attention to the "spooky" junk other people wrote hundreds or thousands of years ago, when they only had guesses and imagination to go on.

22. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

yikes

23. Tom Cornett profile image82
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

The world ends every minute for the dying and begins every minute for the born.
    Just like stars....just like planets.
    Chicken Little's clucking about the falling sky....never ends. smile

24. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

"IF" we say that we believe the bible; we have to believe that prophesy will be fulfilled when it says that it will be fulfilled!

This is why scripture does give us the answer as to WHEN these prophesy will be fulfilled!

All that ya gotta do is to quit "interpreting" scripture to say what ya want them to say.   Then you will see them for what they say.
       How easy is that??

25. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Good night Yaul

26. moondive profile image56
    moondiveposted 14 years ago
    1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just read it a while ago and left a comment. Excellent well researched hub! smile

27. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 14 years ago

Merlin (or King Arthur) is supposed to have left a load of prophesies.  Given that (even if such things existed and actually got into print for me to see them) they were interesting.

They talked about a snake twisting all round Britain then diving under the Severn and raising its head in Wales - where Merlin is still celebrated as a historic entity in Caer Myrthyn - Merlin town.  I thought of the rail system when I read it which does exactly that.

He also prophesied that when an oak was cut down the city would flood, they actually kept the oak stump until quite recently because of the prophesy - removing it for a housing development of course and the city certainly flooded that year.

Merlin is also supposed to have prophesied the end of the world as a series of extreme natural disasters the stars 'moving' in the heavens - he said "dropping down". This would indicate the world turning in a different motion perhaps ?    Kind of ties in with all the  other prophesies in a way -

1. BL Tween profile image59
      BL Tweenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is my hub about it,

http://hubpages.com/hub/Has-the-END-of- … -End-Times

This is part 1 from Matthew 24:

28. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I don't spend much time worrying about 2012.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But you did read my end of the world party hub, didn't you?  You think you will be able to make it in 2012?  If not, maybe the next year!

29. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

*shakes his head side to side*   lol lol lol

30. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Personally, I think too much energy is given to this idea.

I think, however, if we are bent on something ending, let's plan a Walmart-going-out-of -business party.

Or an Ethical-Reform-in-Banking-Practices party. Or better yet, The-End-Of-Goldman-Sachs-and-Every-Money-Machine-And-Government-Like-It party.

That sounds like a good plan.  Lets do it.

31. Rishy Rich profile image71
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

http://www.dailyfunnystuff.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mayan-Calendar.jpg

1. climberjames profile image57
      climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha awesome pic!

32. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

It may or may not be true and all I know is I'll be ^$^& my fiance all day just incase it's true! go out f%$%%^&n lol

33. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Will we have to turn off all of our computers and hire lots of consultants to overcome this problem like we did at the turn of the millennium?

34. Bringer_of_Light profile image60
    Bringer_of_Lightposted 13 years ago

Lies.  2012 will not be the end.  It will be the beginning of a glorious new age of prosperity.

35. MickS profile image62
    MickSposted 13 years ago

the world will end one day, that we know, the sun will eventually die.  The Mayans give a date of 2012 as the end of a world cycle, of which they had many if my memory serves me well.  Nostradamus, Old Mother Shipton (or Skipton depending on which tale you hear) or uncle Tom Cobley n all, it's not worth worrying about, the world ends or it doesn't, and there's not a jot any of us can do about it.

36. lightning john profile image61
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

The earth will not end.  We may be invaded by a large species that will come for the human harvest to take and eat us like sardines!

1. profile image50

Hi friend lightning john

What is your source to say that?

Thanks

37. profile image51
    greyfox26posted 13 years ago

Pure and simple hogwash. The world will end when it ends and nobody can possibly know when that will be.

38. True Cures profile image61
    True Curesposted 13 years ago

In 2012 the world as we know it will end.  I don't know how I am going to do it but I am going to destroy both alternative and western conventional medicine by exposing the truth about the human immune system and immune response. 

I don't think anyone will disagree that the end of medicine and pharmaceutical companies will end the world as we know it.  I assume it will be a better world but for the rich and wealthy today it might be a little ugly. 

2012 the year for cures and the end of medicine and medical science!

39. jondav profile image68
    jondavposted 13 years ago

1 - people like Nostradamus have got more wrong than they have right. His 'prophecies' can be interpreted in a number of ways and are usually quite non specific.

2 - If you subscribe to the Mayan long count calender theory, if they were THAT good why didn't they predict their own demise?

3 - If you prefer the reversal of the magnetic poles theory, this happens gradually over thousands of years, not overnight.

4 - The 21st of Dec 2012 is the day before my birthday, i will not be amused if i dont get my party.

1. profile image50

Hi friend jondav

You are right there.

Thanks

40. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

If the world is ending soon, I can stop worrying about our retirement and enjoy the money we have been trying to save for it. But then what if it doesn't end and we will have nothing - geez this is frustrating!!

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. That is what a lawyer always says!
         I think that the best case scenario is that I get to rest from my labors and my works do follow me.
         If my works do not account for much then they will count for more than nothing???????????????
         Maybe I'll be emptying out houses in Heaven????  I HopeI  like doing that? 
      It is me that I'm worried about; Me liking it or not, 
      I think that it is better to be honest…    ?  At least with yourself!

41. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

the only part of Christianity I truly believe:

world without end, amen, amen!

42. profile image56
    PAMITCHRUSposted 13 years ago

My vote is for sooner than 2012. Noah's angels are all over our ass, we're ripe for the picking our sins in full bloom and show about everywhere. Lies about God are everywhere. Money is God, no money no life. Ya can't harldy wipe ya ass without permission of some regulating body,and we've damn near wiped out the animals along with the sea critters too !! All that means that Lot must be right around the corner !!! Plus remember Jesus said he was one sneaky dude. Everyone is to be caught with their pants down. Show up early I say and pray .

What's your vote ???

43. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

While many predict the end to be near...I'm sure there will be a lot of milk and bread sold, gas etc.

Many like me look to the future with high hopes. Nasa will test the new Aries rocket that will carry the Orion to the International Space station, the moon and eventually the inner planets.

Kevin Costner will clean up the oil spill.

The economy will recover and technology will help win the battle against cancer.

World terrorism will go the way of the cold war and gatoraid will develop another flavor.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now, that is putting your imagination to work. lol lol lol

44. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

I just don't see it happening.

look at all the hype when we were going into the year 2000 everyone thought the world would reset back to 1900. I worked in a bank then and we took all the precautions we could to keep all of the accounts up to date. When the year rolled to 2000 nothing happened.....everything stayed the same.

Enjoy life day by day because you never know when the end is coming. Stop worrying about 2012 live for today.

45. Aley Martin profile image65
    Aley Martinposted 13 years ago

The world as we "now it" will end. A paradigm shift is coming. But this is not new phenomena. Each generation sits and awaits the "end times" instead of consciously doing something to prevent it!

1. lucieanne profile image68
      lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about this 2 days ago. The date of 21.12.2012 is supposed to be the end of the 13th 'bakt'un on the Mayan calendar, which started 3114 BC on our modern calendar. This was the date the Maya believed was the birth of Venus and the beginning of creation. But we all know that that date is way out, so why should we take notice of the 'end' date? They were a bunch of primitive jungle dwelling savages who ripped babies' hearts out to 'please' their gods. They hadn't even grasped to concept of the wheel. Why would we believe anything they said. And... they didn't even invent the calendar in the first place - it was the Olmecs

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your primitive savages sound just like mid-western christians big_smile

and you are wrong.   They made advances in calendar science that came from a past far more distant than the Olmecs - to the point where just do not know. Stonehenge is a calendar on the other side of the world from about the same time in very rough terms.

Your description of their civilization based on "ripping baby's hearts out" is a trifle misleading for a nation that made roads, had a government, etc etc  -  it is a bit like describing the whole of american 'civilization' as a nation that bombs other nations.

Well don't they? what about Iraq, Afghanistan ...........! Ooh Poet, you're opening up a can of worms here. And if you do your homework you'll discover that they DID rip babies hearts out, whether or not they built roads. As for the Olmecs, there are many conflicting opinions regarding the origins of the calendar, but to my reckoning, they can't have quite grasped the concept of time if they needed three calendars, where one would have sufficed.  and if they were so clever, why didn't they forsee their own demise?

46. tweetter profile image57
    tweetterposted 13 years ago

nothing going to happen in 2012،،،،،،،،،its only a belief

47. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I have often wondered if human sacrifices were nothing more than a form of population controll.
       They sacrifised those from neighboring tribes, War prisoners,and whoever they wanted to get rid of.

Food preservation just might have been a part of these sacrifices.

Kinda like abortions are today. population controll

I'm not speaking pro or con on this issue .. But ...

what would the population of the USA  or the the world be today if none of those babies were aborted?  Remember that some of those babies would have been making babies for several decades now.

I'm not speaking for or against abortion Just asking a question????

Where would the population be if these women who found themselves pregnant had kept their legs closed in the first place? Or, at least used some reliable form of contraception. There would be no need for abortion then, except in dire medical circumstances. I don't think they worried about things like 'population control' , considering their life-span was only 45-50 years.

That is true too.. 
          There is never only one reason for any behaveior like this.
        But for mu question how many abortions have been done and how many of those children would have had babies? That would make a substancial diffrence upon the world today.
           I can see where whoever was in controll of the food storehouses knowing how long they would last feeding X number of people for Y period of time being conscerned with the size of population.  Certainly not feed prisoners of war when there is already a food shortage. During times of plenty there would not being so many sacrifises. Might keep those prisoners as slaves.
            This might be but one of many reasons that they did it.

48. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Que Sera Sera!

49. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Good night yaul.

50. K J Page profile image61
    K J Pageposted 13 years ago

I read a book recently that talked about 2012 - according to these folks - the Mayan calendar is based on the movement of the constellation Pleiades.   Their calendar apparently started when that constellation first appeared on the horizon.  According to their calendar the Pleiades will drop below the horizon not to be seen again on planet earth after the December date.  They did not believe that the world would end - only that a new era would begin upon the earth as many have before -   Southwest Indians of the U.S. also believe that the earth has gone through phases -

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)