Charging extra for post during the Olympics

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

So the next wheeze is that because of the Olympics it will cost more to post a parcel that will take longer to deliver?  Bet the cost doesn't go down after.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … extra.html

This is on top of local businesses like bakers being threatened with legal action if they ice the olympic symbol onto a doughnut for a bit of fun and to get into the spirit of things in order to protect the corporate sponsors (Coca-cola and McDonalds), Londoners told not to use the public transport they pay for, our civil service being allowed to 'work' at home for the duration, and VIP traffic lanes.

The ordinary British people seem to be being squeezed out of the games as most didn't get tickets, and are being treated as a nuisance/inconvenience in their own country

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When the Olympic flame passed through Treorci:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6690628_f248.jpg

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  This prevention of local business from benefiting is oppressive and unfair.  When it is set against the obscene nature of the back handed deals that have enriched the rich, as usual, it is appalling.  A gigantic con trick.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This business would probably not even have profited directly. They are a coach tour company, but I'm not sure if they are running any coaches to London for the games. The rationale of having the pictures was to make local people feel proud that Wales also produces top athletes.

2. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is appalling WriteAngled, why shouldn't a local Welsh business be able to support their own athletes?  The Olympic ideals are totally lying in tatters in the dust as far I'm concerned, and the only way to kick back against it is for a large number of people to refuse to buy products or services from the Olympic sponsors and write to their managing directors telling them why.

2. Ramsa1 profile image63
      Ramsa1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I long ago decided that it was a very bad idea to have the Olympics in one's city or country. The highly touted economic benefits never seem to materialize. The World Cup of Soccer is much more interesting to me.

2. bac2basics profile image84
    bac2basicsposted 11 years ago

Typical rip off Britain. Anything to wring more money out of people. And yes, you can bet your bottom dollar the price of postage will stay the same afterwards. As for not being allowed to go olympic mad and have a bit of fun with the logo, and civil servants working from home, I´m speechless , and glad to be living in Spain.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My Mother lives in Spain-near Alicante

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Glad you posted this - I had missed it.

I am sick of the Olympics.  The vested interests, political deceit, ripoff of the poor people, the reserved seats for the great and the good (All of them twisted sick individuals who are great and good through corruption and bribery).

How does Lakshmi Mittal get to carry the torch?  The richest man in Britain?  Wtf did he actually do to get that gig?

How do the seat allocations work?

Why are MacDonalds, Coke and DOW Chemicals in on the act?

The whole thing stinks.  From getting the games through bribery, oh yes - that is EXACTLY how it works, through to the pointlessness of it all - it is a beanfeast for the rich, famous and corrupt.

There is NO legacy as a result apart from a huge bill.

In other news, the not so great and not so good, and not so corrupt are rioting because they have nothing.  They live down the road from this disgusting Nikefestival of slave labor produced goods, and the lying media tells them they are inadequate if they don't have the current pointless fashion item.

Six months in prison for stealing a bottle of milk.

A top seat at the Opening Ceremony if you are a major player in the corrupt world of politics and business.

Never has the unfair gap between ordinary people and those who have the money been so obvious as this ugly charade.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mark, do a Stickman Corrupt Olympics hub. It will be hilarious, but still a sad commentary.

Thanks Patty... I did a half satire, half silly drawings a while back.  I wasn't in full rant mode because I know people don't really want politics.  I squeezed in drugs, corruption and ticketing scandals though.

I hope this isn't too self promotional... it's not a link or anything.
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6628953_f248.jpg

1. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Watch it Mark, you'll have Seb Coe running after you with a summons lol!  Seb Coe on the telly defending this bullying of small companies who have the gall to try and celebrate the Olympics with a shop window display or icing the odd doughnut was nauseating.  Apparently he is protecting we British Tax Payers, because if the official sponsors like Coke refuse to pay up because they spit the dummy over said iced doughnut, then we would get stuck with the bill????

I'm getting very grumpy old woman over the whole business!  But if you really want to get into wrist-slitting mopes about it, Wes's Olympics Apocalypse hub is good value - frying tonight and all lol

Good grief!  That is a hell of a hub!!!  Well done Wesman.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
            Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent!

4. profile image53
    dranoel24posted 11 years ago

Hi I am Len and new to hub username dranoel24, I am just learning about the potential purpose and value this site can do to promote messages and artistic publications. anyways your pivture automatically touched a very mystical part of me. Did you know that archeologist found a cross buried in georgia years ago that had the three ring symbols you have on your picture. they carbon dated it ;well I can not recall how old they said it was but it was older than 10, 000 years. Perhaps much older. I think you have something very abstract yet paradoxically portrayed in simple trinity symbolisim.What is you own interpitation of your drawing?? new frien Len373777@yahoo.com

Um, my interpretation is that there are three drug syringes in first, second and third place - which symbolises the athletic chemistry element of the competition.  As for the three rings.. I make it five?

1. profile image53
        dranoel24posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh I now understand your very clear message. Atheletes are using drugs to win and the five rings represent the olympics;Am I on the same page now? Were you in the olympics? Do you recall what happened when nazi germany did not want a man included in the competion because of his color? I have to agree with you if you are protesting how unfare it is that some people use drugs to perform . Tell me just what can be done about it? Dranoel24

5. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

The next great Olympic wheeze is that Visa is ordering the closure of any ATMs that also accept MasterCard or American Express around the Olympic venues

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … mpics.html

Cashpoints here in the UK generally accept all major cards, and it is grossly unfair to demand that visitors to the games can only have access to one card provider

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)