What is your greatest achievement as a gamer?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (53 posts)
  1. glenn wallace profile image70
    glenn wallaceposted 12 years ago

We all have those video game accomplishments that we cherish.

Maybe it was dominating your local arcade's Street Fighter II machine for an entire summer. Maybe it was finally beating that Genesis title, and watching the end cinematic roll at 2 a.m. Maybe it wasn't a game so much as that time you set up that LAN party in college that resulted in a whole night of epic Starcraft games. Maybe it's a particularly difficult in-game achievement on your online profile, or a popular youtube video of you playing a recent AAA release.

For those of us who began gaming before the advent of in-game achievements, they were accomplishments that were sometimes only commemorated in our memories. But we all have those moments of sublime gaming glory that we take pride in.

What's yours?

1. j-u-i-c-e profile image95
      j-u-i-c-eposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Two great achievements:

'Beating' Spiders of Mars for the Vic-20. I got so good I could earn free lives faster than I lost them. I ended up just turning the game off and never played it again.

Dominating Space Harrier at the arcade when I was a kid. The second highest score was about half of mine. Actually, the day I got that score was the last time I played it. I think that's a trend.

That should give people an idea how old I am, too. smile

2. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Here's an almost one:

I was on my warlock in World of Warcraft when the "Deadman's Hand" dropped from Arcanist Doan in Scarlett Monastery. My friend, also a warlock, won it, though. And then quit like two days later. sad

I never ever saw that ring drop again. A WoW addict that was in our group had never seen that ring drop before either.

I got yelled at for playing WoW at a LAN party, once. Since the LAN party was at my house (my husband at the time had thrown it) I felt that I was not required to participate in their LAN games. Plus, all they wanted to do is see if they could soup up a machine enough so that they could play Vanguard (a game which ultimately failed because nobody's machine was good enough for it.)

3. Crewman6 profile image80
    Crewman6posted 12 years ago

Cool topic!  I play Runescape now, and my favorite moment in that was my first time to beat Jad.  But about 30 years ago, in the early '80s, I played an arcade game called Defender, a lot.  I had just started a game when someone behind me asked if he could play when I was finished.  I told him sure, and then proceeded to play a perfect game without losing a life.  When the game recycled to begin again, I handed it over to him and said "I'm done."  I never played it again.  I had a witness, had a perfect game, and knew better than to ruin that memory by trying again.  It's my all-time favorite gaming moment!

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

When Diablo first hit the market, I sat down at my computer and played for 13 hours and managed to kill Diablo in that sitting. I don't play too many video games. I don't own any video game system. Computer games is what I prefer. I don't really get into gaming as a whole. I don't use online RPG's. I've never played Diablo online.

Too many players have used cheat codes to increase their characters. I have three naturally built characters that can complete the game. Not to mention, Diablo has multiple expansion packs, which added things to the game.

Diablo II - when it hit the market, it took me about 22 hours to complete it, just because the new patterns, new characters and more variety in selections for building a character. I had 3 characters on this one that could finish the game.

And, I'm pleasantly waiting on Diablo III which is either in the stores already or just about to come out. Recently seen ads for it.

5. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 12 years ago

In STO, besides making it to endgame, I would say my best achievement would be the fact that I can hold my own in Space PVP to the point that its very hard to actually take me down.  When I started playing, I was more of a ground person, so I pushed myself to get better in space to where I am now.  Its an accomplishment because I came a long way without much help.

6. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

I was number one on Pole Position on every arcade machine I played - In the days when I used to go to Barry Island if you looked at the Pole Position machines they always had SMC with the highest score - I was a Pole Position fiend!

7. glenn wallace profile image70
    glenn wallaceposted 12 years ago

Great replies all! Any other points of gamer pride?

8. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

One day I was playing Dungeons and Dragons, when suddenly,,,, I stopped! And never played it again. Best decision I ever made.

9. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

My greatest achievement was when i saved that princess in mario brothers.

10. Matt in Jax profile image60
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

Got to be beating Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran. I've always been terrible at COD story modes for some reason, but completing that on the hardest difficulty was my greatest video game accomplishment.

glenn wallaceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice! Beating any game on hard mode definitely takes some dedication.

11. R9139 profile image59
    R9139posted 12 years ago

For me it was playing World of Warcraft for 80 hours straight in 2006 to get an item I no longer remember. Ah good times, shame I wasted the best part of a week doing it. Or getting the Mile High Club achievement on Call of Duty 4, after exactly 1877 attempts the month it came out.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....wow....I'm impressed smile

12. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

I bought my boyfriend a Gamestop gift card for christmas. Does that count? smile

Only if he does something epic with the merch that the card helped purchase. Even then, you'll only be credited with the assist.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay then well I'll ask him if he did something epic. smile

13. dfuntanar profile image61
    dfuntanarposted 12 years ago

Good topic! Damn this makes me remember those wonderful World of Warcraft Vanilla days (lol). I don't really know if these achievements are worth mentioning but they're all I can remember that seemed great at that time tongue

Completing the epic hunter quest for "Rhok'delar", I remember my friends going crazy over it that time. I'd also throw in my grind for the High Warlord rank on my rogue, (this was vanilla, when queue times can go way long, and an Alterac Valley battle  lasted hours - a 1hr AV was a quick AV, some can last days), whole grind to HW took about 15 weeks..

Unfortunately, World of Warcraft is not the same anymore.. "shakes head".

I know what you mean, having done ye'olde style 40-man Molten Core raids.
      And guilds nowadays complain about trying to get 20 people together, pfft.

14. rai2722 profile image60
    rai2722posted 12 years ago

I still remember the pride I felt finishing Final Fantasy 8. Suikoden also a game that took a lot to finish.

Yeah, loved the Suikoden series. The whole idea of building up an army, and the hideout improvements always made me love those games. I don't know I ever stuck it out to the very end on any of them though : /

15. iantoPF profile image78
    iantoPFposted 12 years ago

I've never been a gamer, don't own any video or PC games, though my kids do. I was never much good at arcade or pinball games either.
    But in 2009 I wrote the song in the background of the video trailer for HALO 3 ODST. I had never even heard of HALO until I got the job. I'm still amazed at how it went viral on you tube.

16. zoey24 profile image76
    zoey24posted 12 years ago

I remember completing Mario on my old Snes, me and my sister stayed up for hours completing each level smile

17. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

One of them was beating the final boss (SIN) on Final Fantasy 10 for PS2. Man, I want to play that game again, but need a PS3 that can play ps2 games. I also no longer own Final Fantasy 10

Props on beating Sin... my wife and I had a tag team FF10 game, and we made it all the way to the final dungeon, before we both just burned out. I think I still have the save file on a memory card somewhere.

18. profile image0
    richardkruseposted 12 years ago

The first one that comes to mind for me is fairly recent. Super Mario Bros on the Wii...damn, that game was difficult! It starts off alright and your confidence builds and then they just knock you down continually with tricky and frustrating levels! Typical Mario game...felt REALLY good when I finished it. Good fun smile

19. liamb2001 profile image56
    liamb2001posted 12 years ago

my greatest achievements on gaming has to be on Goldeneye on the N64, completing some of the levels on that game within a certain time was near impossible, especially the one where you had to do a mqap to get invisibility magazines said it wasnt possible it was that hard but i managed to achieve it by realising that Bond moves faster when he he strafed than when he actually walked forwards....absolutley brilliant game though a classic smile

Gawd, my college buds and I sunk hours into Goldeneye! Those challenge missions were great. I remember working on those, and also on Perfect Dark challenges too.

1. liamb2001 profile image56
        liamb2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah perfect dark was a great game as well smile

20. Al Shield profile image83
    Al Shieldposted 12 years ago

Finally completing the 'Wasteland Survival Guide' mission on Fallout 3. God she threw me some interesting challenges!

21. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Got the Ambassador title on my WOW hunter back when it was hard to do.

Reached level 160 on my Maplestory Bishop.

That title required a maxxed faction standing with how many groups? I bow to your tenacity! I just barely got the Love Fool title on my priest, mostly just for the candies.

22. prowlingginger profile image40
    prowlinggingerposted 12 years ago

I'd have to say beating L4D on expert. I never wanted to see another zombie after that.
    Then my friends made me join a game of versus and I was hooked at chocking people with the smoker & to drag a survivor 100 ft with your old zombie smoker tongue.

23. Scott Fischer profile image59
    Scott Fischerposted 12 years ago

My greatest achievment...hmmm...I think I will say when I beat the Baldurs Gate Series going through the throne of Bhaal.....yeah...that was killer.

24. Rain Defence profile image79
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

Call of Duty 2 on veteran was mine. I haven't got the patience for COD on veteran any more. I used to play it a bit a night and not turn it off til I'd got at least one checkpoint further. Eventually managed to beat it although it took ages.
    The best achievement for me though by far was the day that I took on all comers at Tekken 2 at university. It was winner stays on and I was on fire. There were about 20 lads standing around at one point and none of them could take me down. That was definitely my best gaming achievement! I'd get slaughtered at it nowadays, but in those days I played it all the time.

Oh yeah. Loves me some Tekken. I'd get waxed at Soul Calibur, or Mortal Kombat, but I ruled the Iron Fist Tournament.

25. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

Ok this may be a lame one to everyone, but I was so freakin ecstatic about it, I had to take a picture and send it to my hubby at work because I got the achievement before he did.

MW3 achievement: Kill a juggernaut by knifing it.

It took me forever to do this, it seemed. I had the juggernaut follow me through a path of claymores, I laid into him with my CM901 and all my flashbangs and when I was out of ammo, I ran up and knifed him, killed him on the third knife.

OMG it was so awesome, I scared the crap out of my daughter I screamed so loud. I HATE JUGGERNAUTS! big_smile

1. liamb2001 profile image56
      liamb2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hehe brilliant, tis hard tho well done smile

26. JohnGreasyGamer profile image76
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 11 years ago

Hmm.... not really sure, in all honesty. Perhaps it's getting all 64 Orbs and 10,000 gems in Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer? Maybe it's accepting that Skylanders, Spyro's Adventure isn't an awful game? Who knows. Though when we find a challenge and beat it, we're seperated from the players.

We become gamers.

glenn wallaceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"When we find a challenge and beat it, we're seperated from the players.
      We become gamers."

Well said.

27. mskills profile image81
    mskillsposted 11 years ago

Since the Sega Genesis was mentioned in the OP, I have to go with beating Dark Force in Phantasy Star 2 back at release.  Not Mother Brain, mind you, but that AOE spamming, mind controlling SOB Dark Force.  In a game where just making it to the end is a major achievement, the Dark Force battle is equivalent to your worst enemy pissing in your last flask of water after crawling for days through the Sahara. 

As far as WoW goes, my ultimate achievement was finding the courage to cancel my subscription after Cataclysm's release, having played since the open beta.  Other than probably being the first DK on my server to own a Netherdrake right after Wrath's release, I can't think of anything particularly impressive.

Does sitting through countless Commodore 64 loading times qualify?

28. hlruther profile image68
    hlrutherposted 11 years ago

I AM Leeroy Jenkins! j/k

Actually, I guess the first ever game I beat stands out in my mind. It was some Duck Tales game in the early 90s. NES all the way. Now games are easy to beat because you just pause game, come back and start where you left off with unlimited dying abilities. On the NES you had three lives and no saving feature. If you lost power, you started from square one. Ahh.... the good ol' days!

29. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Beating Yiazmat in Final Fantasy XII (over 50 million HP; it takes hours. I am embarrassed to have done this. Luckily, if one has a very good grasp of tactics you can set up some automated battle actions with gambits and do something else such as knitting or graphics design and only step in every ten-fifteen minutes to do triage.) That was probably my most hardcore gamer moment, since I generally only care to finish as much of the game as possible so I don't miss out on any cool story or character moments; the actual racking up of points or trophies is not usually my goal.

Completing every sidequest and minigame and maxing out all characters on Final Fantasy X (Which is currently being remastered in HD for PS3 and Vita, stay tuned) I found dodging lightning bolts strangely relaxing, but oh, the chocobo races in that game were a challenge.

*pats the Auron figure on my desk; he defends my wireless router from the cat*

Actually, finishing the original Karateka and rescuing all 64 hostages on the original Choplifter were a buzz at the time.

But the biggest one was breaking Catherine out of prison in RIVEN. I spent all of MYST and RIVEN wondering where the heck she was, and by the time I finally reached her, I really, really liked the character. Those were great old games. (Now available on iPad!)

Beyond video games, I would say that GMing a combat with over 50 different PCs and scores of NPCs ranks up there. Trying to run battles on old text-based roleplaying games, before a game engine did it for you, when we had to type all the descriptions on the fly and keep track of spells, abilities, injuries -- that was a great challenge! I am glad there's still some MU*s out there for real writers, although I gave up all that 15 years ago.

/awe

30. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 11 years ago

A very very long time ago, was playing a game called "Spare Change". I was doing so well, I overflowed the 5 digit score counter.

1. mskills profile image81
      mskillsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apple IIe, baby!  Even though I could only have been 6 or 7 years old when I last played Spare Change, my fondness for the running barstool guys endures to this day.  I had almost forgotten that Broderbund published some very innovative stuff back then.

31. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Computer generated - beating the final brain with maxxed out research tools on the original Microprose X-COM.

Non Computer generated - defeating a god whom wanted to exterminate all life on our planet in Dungeons and Dragons. After battling mega-vampires, liches, demi-gods and megalithic creatures that f*** with your head, we finally defeated the god by driving him insane who convinced himself he no longer existed. 17 consecutive Friday night games....and MUCH coffee drank!

1. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He-he-he. I edited the XCOM FAQ. smile

32. snapper2k profile image60
    snapper2kposted 11 years ago

The ending stage of The Legend of Zelda - ocarina of time . It was so jammed packed full of action , killing gannon , the collapsing tower, the final fight with a bad ass boss.
    The ending celebration scenes reminded me of star wars return of the jedi . No game has yet been made which can surpass that!

33. kanzelm3 profile image59
    kanzelm3posted 11 years ago

Now, don't make fun of me! I have always been a WOW nerd, I have since quit playing, but my greatest accomplishment as a gamer was when a friend and I quit our guild in WOW and we created our own by pooling together all of these great players who had a lot of respect for us, and then the first week we raided, we killed 6 out of the 7 bosses in a raid called Firelands, and our guild jumped up to rank #3 on the server. (We came from a guild that was rank #7) Pretty proud of that!

That's totally cool! Especially a guild of friends has such an interesting dynamic. Just holding a large group together is a challenge, but when all that hard work comes together in successful raiding, it really is an amazing feeling.

34. richday profile image61
    richdayposted 11 years ago

My greatest achievement as a gamer was losing my many gaming lives and getting killed on all levels:-). Seriously.

35. movielardatadare profile image56
    movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

I have 3.
    First, defeating Super Street Fighter 2 on Sega Genesis with all of the characters (without any cheat codes).  It felt so frickin awesome to defeat M. Bison (to this day, I still hate that dude).  This game definitely caused me the most stress.
    Second, defeating Sonic The Hedgehog because that was the first game that I ever defeated.  It felt so awesome having my younger bro cheer for me to defeat it.  And of course, I would defeat numerous more games through the years.
    Finally, defeating Deus Ex 2:  Invisible Wars (all 3 endings).  That game was just so fun and awesome to play on XBox.  I loved playing it just because the storyline was so complicated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)