Who should be posting?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (37 posts)
  1. a49eracct profile image59
    a49eracctposted 11 years ago

I know there are trolls out there, and that's fine. My question however, is something quite different. It is one thing to ask questions and offer information on religion and philosophy, but another to offer nothing of significance to a forum.
    Should the non-religious be able to leave insignificant comments on this forum topic?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Who defines what is and is not insignificant? And why does the question not also apply to the religious? And the agnostic? And those who are just passing by? smile

a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point! I'm really just venting about the people who just get on a forum to say something (usually off topic). I'm open to discussion and the like, but when people start saying things for the sake of having the last word it is quite degrading to those who have actual interest. Does that make more sense? hmm

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to the world of online forums smile

Haha, thank you. I may have to exit them because the backlash is too much for me. I'm not used to people insulting me/my education...besides, my education isn't done(school wise). And learning never ceases!

So far, so good. Nary a worm in sight. big_smile

As far as forums go, I think HP's is one of the best. There are some real nightmares out there in comparison.

However, it does seem to be the nature of our species to over-remember that one toxic-personality out of a 100 that is inevitably out there no matter where one goes. Don't worry, it will pass. smile

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
            schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wink lol

2. AshtonFirefly profile image68
      AshtonFireflyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your comment seems to make a lot of assumptions about who is non-religious and what is significant to a discussion. Trolling is one thing...attempting to contribute a conflicting opinion is another. And what was ever wrong with the latter? Healthy discussion and debate is good, as long as people make intelligent contribution and don't just blast off at people without thinking.
      Why can't someone who is "non-religious" post on this forum? What makes that trolling? Perhaps they are just expressing opinions as much as the "religious" are?
      As for the real "trollers," to be honest I see more religious ones than non-religious ones.
      I can say that without bias because I am what you would probably call "religious," or at least, a Believer.
      Just my two cents. Or half a cent. Or whatever it's worth...

What you are talking about is the same as me (I'm just too shy to be so honest about it!)
        I feel that the people who go on just to insult someone is the one leaving "insignificant" posts. Religion/non religion isn't really the issue. My dad is an atheist, but he talks about religion without degrading me or saying things that don't pertain the subject.

3. Niteriter profile image60
      Niteriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd appreciate it if you would tell me what a troll is. I don't want to run around mending my ways unnecessarily.

Someone who doesn't want to discuss the subject. They just want to make people angry by posting their opinion. They like to change the discussion to something it wasn't meant to be...I guess really I would say they just like to "make waves".

1. Niteriter profile image60

Okay, that makes me happy; I hate changing my ways!

Anyway, don't exit the forums like you mentioned earlier. I have often found that the feistiest of brawlers have in time become good friends. And never, never, never, become offended by the antics of Cagsil. (Hi Cags! It's just that I can't resist sometimes.) He'll come to your aid in the most surprising moments and you'll love him from then on. And there are many others like him.

But don't trust me. No sir! I'm a troll at heart!

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

And btw, I like your http://a49eracct.hubpages.com/hub/Intro … Life-Sense (Life Sense) series.

Thanks,
      It's not much- but I think sometimes stuff like that gets "passed by". wink

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Oh boy, this thread is going to open up a whole can of worms...

First worm I see, I'm outta here. lol

1. AshtonFirefly profile image68

haha smile)

2. a49eracct profile image59

Isn't that the purpose of a forum? To "open a can of worms"?

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

If it frustrates you, wouldn't it make sense for you not to  read or post? Wouldn't that solve your problems?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Emile, haven't you learned that asking common sense questions of people don't necessarily work out the way intended. lol

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep. That's the way it seems to go here. But the arrogance that would make someone ask such a question is appalling.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It certainly can be. wink

2. a49eracct profile image59

Yes but I am an intellectual and like to discuss things with people outside my group of friends.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Well, you don't have to worry about Cagsil. Seems he's been banned from the forums and it looks permanent.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

huh?...that's too bad

2. AshtonFirefly profile image68

Where did you see this? Whenever i see his profile it doesn't say anything about that.

On Facebook.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image68

ahh okay. hmm...odd.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's his facebook link?

3. Niteriter profile image60

Well I did tell a49eracct not to trust me!

I didn't know about Cagsil, though; I thought I saw him in here a couple of hours ago. Thanks for telling me.

But somehow I can't see a permanent absence. I bet he's cajoling the staff right now with promises of reform and angelic behaviour!

Cagsil wanted me to tell you he is not bothering to ask for posting privileges back.

1. Niteriter profile image60

Cagsil is my hero, there is no way he will not return. In fact I'm a lot like a devoted Christian in that regard: "And now the prize awaits me--the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return." !!!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    1. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What on earth did he do in that thread to warrant banning?

Just read all his comments and there is nothing offensive or worthy of a ban.....

http://blogs.visoftinc.com/wp-content/uploads/PuzzledMan.png

1. jacharless profile image76
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. We are speaking via $Faceplant, and still then same, level-the-field, brutally honest, Ray.
        Granted he and I have had notoriously heated differences of opinion. At the end of the day, is just that, differences of opinion.

7. paradigmsearch profile image59

He's told me his FB link. Can't find the relevant post though. He's been a busy guy since he posted it... lol

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

I chatted with him. Me thinks I'm going to stay out of the religion forums again for awhile...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)