Who else get irritated by websites that use the term "Learn More" ?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    captainradonposted 11 years ago

I may be over-sensitive, but to me, the term "Learn More" sounds rather condescending, as if to imply that the author is so superior, and therefore has to "teach" us poor dumb readers.
    Does anyone else feel that way?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

'Learn more' doesn't bother me, except when someone uses that term when it is obvious from what they have written that they haven't got a clue themselves and are just keyword chasing, hashing together an article with little thought and even less knowledge, hoping to gain some readership.

THEN it bothers me! I feel like saying "Right back at you!"

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ever thought it's your perception that's skewed?

I have a Facebook page in which I post my hubs on and many times I will say "Learn more?" because the article I have attached has an expanded view more than the tidbit I put in the Facebook box. The object is to get readers and giving them something to munch on to make the article something they want to read.
      Obviously, I don't agree. If you're on a website, then apparently the page you reached is to draw in readers, to get clicks onto another section of the website. It's used because it's effective.

2. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I don't feel the same way.

I don't think it's condescending, but rather just a concise way to let people know, "Hey, if you would like to know more of what we're talking about, click this link."

I don't mind the assumption that I might not know about a certain product. I can't possibly know the details of everything on the interwebs. If it's not immediately obvious what something's for, it definitely needs a "learn more" button. Those that already know the gist, can just skip to something else.

Plus, those buttons usually don't contain like "obvious" information. Like, hmm eBay has been doing this whole like "no listing fee for the first 50 items you list each month" deal. And so on their site they could have (I don't know if they use one) a button that says "learn more." I clicked it because I genuinely wanted to learn more... (Did they raise their final value fees? Is this deal exclusive to certain categories?)

I wouldn't take it condescending because if I already KNEW what they would be telling me, I could feel all happy and proud like, "Look at me, knowin' stuff. tongue"

If I do feel the need to learn something, I would feel happy to click it and learn something new.

Plus, I think "learn more" is the shortest way to say "Hey, if you don't know what we're talking about, go ahead and click here and we'll show ya. If you do know what's goin' on, have fun using our site. tongue"

I could see it condescending if it said something like, "Click here, because you obviously don't know what we're talking about. Single-click, not double-click, you're on the Internet."

3. cydro profile image77
    cydroposted 11 years ago

Interesting fact:

Professional websites such as Obama's campaign website use a technique that was pioneered by Google where they show a slightly different webpage to like .05% to .1%  of users.

Because there are thousands of visitors a day, reliable statistics can be obtained by using this technique.

A good example is that Obama's campaign website used the phrase "Learn More" instead of "Support Our Campaign." 

Statistics showed that this increased the number of clicks by like 10% or something, and so did changing the background from a video to a black and white image.  I think there was a Wired magazine article on it.

Anyway, "Learn More" is effective for websites to use...although the effectiveness changes over time (as demonstrated by the technique I just discussed).

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If it was me, I'd just do:

More...

It informs the reader that there is more, without any implications whatsoever. smile

(The link just goes to the HP FAQ (it had to go somewhere...))

5. profile image0

Thanks for your replies, Melbel, cydro and paradigm. Clearly, I'm in the minority when it comes to this. I wonder if it could be the result of those subtle (and not-so-subtle) cultural differences between groups around the English speaking world? Still, that phrase usage does aggravate me.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I have no problems with those words when it's on a topic I know nothing about and reason why I am on the site. I want answers and served on a platter too big_smile

1. profile image0
      captainradonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really thought that there would be a deafening outcry against this phrase, as users vent their white-hot pent-up rage......
      But there are several other taboo forms of expression in Netiquette that were popular once but have since been denounced, like using all capitals. I just wanted this one to be added to that list.

7. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

More info and click here are close relatives

1. profile image0
      captainradonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And in my opinion, not as annoying as "Learn More".

8. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
    Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years ago

It seems to state a plain fact to me, that you can "learn more" about the topic by clicking the link.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

I have found filling out a form and having to click on free report, learn more usually means somebody is selling something.

10. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

In a world so full of "condescending", it never really occurred to me to think much about this as one more example of it, but I think Linda Smith is right about "Learn More" usually leading to someone's trying to sell something.

Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I do think "More" or "Read More" is more correct, for a couple of different reasons (none of which, to me, involve "Learn More" being condescending, though).  hmm

11. profile image0
    Jennifer Angelposted 11 years ago

I get irritated with them after you click the link and they say PAY THIS to get x information....Why? I can get the same information for free, from another source. People are still trying to scam internet users. When will they learn?

12. profile image0

Yes, that was going to be my next gripe, the seemingly free access that comes with a price-tag.

13. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

"Learn more" is a hopeful motto and a way of life for some of us. So it seems to me a very positive phrase. As the saying goes, the day I stop learning is the day I die.

14. Guy Foxe profile image60
    Guy Foxeposted 11 years ago

I have a website all about freelance writing.  If you want to learn more about it just click on my profile and go check it out.

Just monkeying around--sorry, couldn't resist.

15. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Maybe you'd get a better outcry if you picked on another Netiquette phrase that bugs you.
    This one doesn't seem to make anyone's skin crawl.

16. profile image0

I'm surprised that no one else finds "Learn More" even slightly annoying. I must be paranoid, I don't deny it. But humor me for a moment, while I analyze the semantics of this phrase. ('analyze the semantics'..!...  hmm )
    "Learn More" is actually an order, like the long-deprecated cliche: "Click here". In fact, I find "Click here" slightly less offensive than "Learn more", as it doesn't imply anything about the intellectual superiority of the author. Instead "Click here" sounds a bit goofy, such as offering someone a finger trap.
    But "Learn more" really implies: "You don't know enough to understand this web page, so go away and Learn more, and don't come back here until you're more knowledgeable."
    That's what it says to me, anyway...

17. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Tough town, the internet. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)