What do you think about a younger woman dating an older man? (or vice versa)

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. LisaKoski profile image80
    LisaKoskiposted 12 years ago

What do you think about a younger woman dating an older man? (or vice versa)

I've been dating a man that's 30 and I'm 23. We get a lot of jokes about it but there are also those who are against it simply because of our age difference. Do you think this is justified or does age really matter?

2. profile image0
    Curiadposted 12 years ago

I don't see any problem with that as long as the motives are pure. I was living with a woman 7 years younger for 6 years. The problem comes in when the reason is based on money or reputation such as in so many "Hollywood" relationships.

3. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

my partner is 9 years younger than me and aside from people teasing us sometimes, we don't notice it.  We are totally right for each other and if we had let age get in the way we would have really missed out.  Age is just a number and it shouldn't matter. 

The only way I can see age complicating things is if both partners have different life goals - this does happen with age differences sometimes.  For example the older partner may not be interested in starting a family because they already have children and the younger partner may want children of their own, things like that. 

If it is simply because of the age - there is nothing wrong with that partnership.  Don't let others judge you unfairly.

4. profile image0
    Angie497posted 12 years ago

Unless we're talking about couples where one person is so young that we're talking about 'below the age of consent,' I don't think age differences should really be an issue. Some couples that are the same age have nothing in common, don't get along all that well, and don't last. And there are some couples with huge age gaps that can only be described as made for each other. One of the happiest couples I know, she's 21 years older than he is. Of course, I could be a little biased, because I've almost always dated younger guys - biggest age difference there was 23 years...

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

all that really matters is how happy you both are. as long as both parties are adults, the rest is irrelevant.

6. Marie Gail profile image75
    Marie Gailposted 12 years ago

My brother-in-law is 12 years older than my sister, but they are beautiful together, raising 4 of the most beautiful girls you have ever seen.

7. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

I think it is perfectly fine. But observers will think my judgement is clouded. I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 32. I've been dating him for two years and it's the best relationship I've had yet. He knows what to do, how to fix things, what certain procedures are, and has a vast area of knowledge from the medical fields to psychology to astology to mechanics. He is past the point of recklessness so I don't have to worry about him picking fights, getting into foolish car accidents (anymore), spending money on college (anymore), and he normally comes home before 12 instead of college students who are out partying until 5 in the morning or worse.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At 19, how many relationships can you have had? Don't take this the wrong way, but at 19, you are still a teenager and have very limited life-experience. I would question why a 30 year old guy, who has it all together, was dating a 17 year old girl?

2. Zebosgirl profile image60
      Zebosgirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

exactly. They are much more mature and do not want to party when they are older. Plus it is fun and exciting for the older man to show off his younger woman. My fiance's friends comment on how lucky he is to have a much younger pretty woman.

3. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Five. He doesn't have it all together. I have never met someone who is perfect. Plus, why would I want someone my own age? They are just as foolish as me!

4. profile image0

My point is, lburmaster, and this is not an indictment against you personally, but 30 year old men shouldn't be dating 17 year old girls. I know why a 17 year-old would want to date an older man, but this 30/17 thing really rubs me the wrong way.

8. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 12 years ago

Dear Lisa,

It just depends. There are some very mature young ladies and some rather juvenile older men.

The average age difference in the United States is the groom being 6 years older than his bride, so you are pretty darn close.

I also think the age gap is magnified in the younger years. This is to say that if a young lady is 20 and her suitor is 30, this age gap is far more significant than if the same young woman was 30 and her suitor was 40.

Yes, the age gap is still 10 years, but the emotional, psychological, spiritual and mental developments that occur between the years 20 and 30 are enormous.

9. rambansal profile image62
    rambansalposted 12 years ago

The younger women by dating an elderly man get the additional benefit of experience without having it by themselves. But, still the gap should not go beyond 20.

10. Zebosgirl profile image60
    Zebosgirlposted 11 years ago

I find it to be a wonderful relationship. My fiance is 27 years older than me.(I am 24) smile

1. profile image0

You are getting down with a 51 year old man? What could the two of you have in common? I hope this isn't a mid-life crisis meeting a gold digger? I'm not saying your relationship is like that, but it is usually the case with this age disparity.

11. EclecticHoosier profile image71
    EclecticHoosierposted 10 years ago

Honestly, I don't see 7 years as much of an age difference really. I've dated women as much as 15 years older than me and as much as 20 years younger. It depends largely on the individuals involved - their personalities, backgrounds and experiences, etc - and their relationship dynamic, but I'd say that an age difference of about 10 years more or less is very acceptable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)