Evangelism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

DO you struggle with witnessing to people who don't know Jesus? The easiest way to witness is telling others what Jesus has done for you?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The mission has been completed, there are disciples for Jesus in all nations, so no one needs to continue evangelizing. Please stop.

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is very good advice.  The Bible states that we are overcomers, by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony.   We can only be witnesses to what we have seen or heard personally.

3. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I should think the main struggle people have trying to "witness" (a.k.a. promote, push, pimp, proselytize, sell, and convert) religion now days is how many people are doing it. It's everywhere, non-stop.

Back when Jesus was saying that, nobody knew about his teachings. Now, in our times, his teachings are everywhere. They are being crammed down our throats at every turn, sometimes by people who have what he said marginally understood, most of the time by people who have a completely corrupted version of it as fed to them by some megachurch in search of knew hands to drop money in the collection plate far more than in search of new hearts for Jesus. I get my door knocked on at least twice a month, usually more. I realize that A Troubled Man's comment probably came of blunt or a bit snide, but the message in it is pretty on point. I think Christians would do much better to stop "witnessing" and go actually do some of the stuff Jesus talked about. And not the easy stuff, like talking about it. I mean, the hard stuff, like loving and helping people. Actively doing so, all the time. Taking their wealth and turning it into charity. Living barebones so they can distribute their earnings amongst the poor and destitute.

Imagine if even HALF the self-proclaimed Christians in America were to actually turn all their wealth but that which they needed for basic survival into help for the poor and needy. Think how amazing that would be. Think how that would raise the glory of God in the eyes of the rest. Non-believers would watch the nation being remade around them, not with tax money stolen by the government and ineptly spent on failed redistribution attempts, but with given money, given money and more importantly, given TIME spent turning America into a kind and loving place in actuality not in words. The non-believers would be like, "What is this? How can this amazing thing be? What are you guys doing? How do you find the strength?"

THEN, the Christians could tell their stories, do their preaching and converting. Because they would have an audience that was interested now. You want to win one for Jesus, stop selling it with words, and convince your fellow Christians to start walking the walk and stop talking the talk for a while.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This would be lovely. I find religion offensive, this sort of action would turn feelings of offence and disgust into genuine respect. I wont be holding my breath tho, in my experience christianity and religion as a whole is not about gods love and is instead about ego, gaining power, and attention seeking.

2. ptosis profile image67
        ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uh-oh! I spotted an Ayn Rand viewpoint! I hate Ayn Rand! As I hate all those who think her viewpoints are worthy to be repeated!

One of the central tenets of Ayn Rand's philosophy is that "taxation is theft". .... a totally selfish b1tch who had not the least regard for the welfare of others. here's a telling quote from the psychobitch
        "Evil requires the sanction of the victim" - Ayn Rand".

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/rnr/3211404417.html

I guess you are against taxes to build road, bridges, sewage systems, border control, etc - or is it just poor people you object to?

1. Shadesbreath profile image76

Never read Ayn Rand. Not even Atlas Shrugged. But it's nice to know that in any dialogue with you, you are going to come prepacked with assumptions and prejudices, rather than an open mind and a desire to ask questions to clarify viewpoints first.

Now, for what its worth, I will be honest and say you are partially right about me. I don't have the least regard for the welfare of others if those others are corrupt banking executives who defraud the American public out of billions and billions of dollars. Had you taken the time to actually read what I wrote, as in slow down and read it rather than throwing yourself into some sort of gasping assumptive spasm about Ayn Rand, then you would have easily ascertained that there was a very particular use of tax dollars to which I was referring.

If you can pull your lips off the nipple of partisanship and stop nursing from the juices of propaganda to which you clearly have attached yourself like some unthinking lamprey, you might find there are at least a few people in the world still using active brains and trying to have genuine dialogue about the condition of America.  smile

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

lol Two thumbs up!

2. ptosis profile image67
            ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7041737_f248.jpg

I must have Lamprey Disease!

So it seems. Perhaps you should get that checked!

(bleh, that's gross lol)

4. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the single biggest reason that there is so much animosity towards Christians.

There might be 100 normally functioning adults in the United States... if that... who don't know about Christianity.  By aggressively seeking converts Christians are actually turning people against God and Christ. 

If you don't understand that think about how annoyed you would be by getting ten telemarketing calls a day or having a cashier follow you around the store asking if you've tried how absolutely wonderful a loaf of bread was.

The hard sale is annoying as hell and only works by essentially having the victim give up so that they will be left alone...  Is that how you want to make converts?

1. twosheds1 profile image61
        twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not following Jesus's actual philosophy (e.g., the Sermon on the Mount) is part of it, too.

5. CMCastro profile image71
      CMCastroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Experience of a Christ Believer and The Word Believer can be gradual process. The ones who are just nourished with milk are Babes who just know what Christ Jesus did for us, and those believers who know that Christ lives within. And those who make the effort to imitate Christ but fall into their lives in the world are still in need of learning the Word on a daily basis. Developing a daily communication with the Lord and asking for forgiveness and accepting the forgiveness with the knowledge of the Truth ushers in His Holy Spirit gifts. In the letter to the Ephesians, chapter 4, verses 11 and 12, outlines what the different roles of the members in Ministry are:  "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ":   This scripture lets one know that the role of Evangelism is appointed by the Lord. God wants us all to believe in Him, To imitate His Son, Jesus, and Do what His Word tells us to do. Those are the precursors to receiving Spiritual gifts. The best way to be an evangelist is to always make your request known to the Lord, and just wait on Him for His appointed time to unleash that gift that is suitable for one to exercise their faith in.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

I'm about to do something I've never done in my HP forum life, and something that makes me crazy when others do it.  I apologize in advance for quoting Scripture.

To the OP, my sister in Christ, you really want to witness?  Start living the Gospel and stop talking about it!  EVERYONE in the free world has heard it.  No one has seen it.  That's why they want nothing to do with it.

1 Peter 3:15
    "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..."

When people see you truly living the Gospel and how it impacts your life and your person every single day, they'll want to know what you have.  Be prepared to answer them.  Most people do not want unsolicited answers from strangers about their internal questions.  Especially if they've not even had the chance to give voice to them.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Top answer.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, DH. smile

3. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

Actually not everyone on the face of this earth has actually heard the gospel. And if a person has never accepted Jesus into his or her heart they have no idea what a Christian life looks like. Just like when Jesus walked the earth, He displayed the Father's love all the time by healing and doing miracles and still they never noticed the love of God in Him. And the reason being is this you can't notice the love of God unless you have the Love of God in your heart.

Thank you all for your comments but showing love to a person is not going to make them think you are evangelizing. Jesus said Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.

17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

No where in this scripture you see where Jesus said show your christian faith. He said to teach them what I have teach you and how does one teach and that is giving them the word.

If a person thinks that their is nothing wrong with the way they are living than they will continue to keep living wrong, but only Jesus can show us in His word that when we disobey we are to repent for our sins and forgive men. But if no one never taught you that than you would never forgive anyone.

That is why Jesus said in 2Timothy 2:15 we need to get a real understanding of His word and have the personal relationship with Jesus otherwise we will never be able to evangelize.

Just because a person is good does not mean that they actually have a relationship with Jesus. What we might think to be good God sees things just a little better than we do...

So you don't think that how the person going out "witnessing" and converting acts matters?

It's perfectly fine to be selfish, rude, hypocritical, overbearing and to not follow even remotely, or just barely, anything that the Bible says and yet still expect people to listen to what "teaching" is being offered? As long as you are telling everyone what Jesus said, then it's all good, regardless of the example you set in your life?

If you really believe that, then I suspect you have no concept of ethos.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Probably not Porthos nor Aramis either.  The only one anyone ever remembers is D'Artagnan.

LOL. Yeah, Ethos was terrible with a sword, that's probably the only reason he went into public speaking.

Yes... His rapier wit made his skills with the sword seem largely rhetorical though...

(Two puns in one post now that is a tragedy.... oh crap three)

2. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny, but I don't ever remember Jesus saying that we had to invite him into our hearts. He told us to pray to our Father, not to him and told us to simply believe who he was. I also see that he told the Church to do greater things than he did. So why don't they? Why do we instead get all this emotionalism, and talk?

What is the gospel? He said it was that the Kingdom of God is near, imminent, at hand, in us, around us. He didn't say the gospel was "Believe in me or else I'm going to burn you in hell".

What is all the obsession with 'His Word'? The NT is not his word, it's the memoires, views and opinions of those that believed. He is the Word. Why do you need a book to direct your life, to measure yourself against, to tell you what to do, to weigh you down because you don't measure up? This is just religion by self effort, a works based faith. The apostles didn't have a book. They simply had God within to direct, change, lead. That's all you need too and maybe you will start to do those miracles as well.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

And, so many more people on earth don't want to hear the gospel.

Evangelists are living wrong.

And, just because a person claims to have a relationship with Jesus does not mean they are a good person, which is what we usually find.

4. CMCastro profile image71
    CMCastroposted 11 years ago

This is an offensive photo to me in regards to this forum and it has nothing to  do with the subject, evangelism,. According to wiki.answers.com, a lamprey is a water bound  parasite that latches onto fish.

You had to wiki that?

2. Shadesbreath profile image76

1. If the existence of creatures in nature is offensive to you, I suggest you log off the internet immediately, bash in any televisions you might have with a hammer, and, frankly, you should probably do away with radio and even any books you have, as someone is likely to make an uncomfortably accurate description of a tentacle or a proboscis or, god help us all, some sexual appendage, and then, my for the love of all things holy, what will you do to endure the indignity of it all?

2. Had you read what led up to that post, you would see how perfectly in keeping with the subject at hand that post/image is.

3. If whatever it is won't pass naturally or with the help of laxatives, a physician can recommend a more aggressive treatment strategy. Help is out there.

5. contentkaiser profile image57
    contentkaiserposted 11 years ago

Hilarious.  This reminds me of the people I deal with on a daily basis when I'm helping Liberty students with their homework; the most insane and ranting postings of all time.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's a liberty student?

1. twosheds1 profile image61
        twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Liberty University?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)