A History Lesson on Your Social Security Card.

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (18 posts)
  1. OLYHOOCH profile image60
    OLYHOOCHposted 11 years ago

A History Lesson on Your Social Security Card

1934 - 1980

With the  elections just a little over 3 months away you'll soon be hearing some Democrats running for political office, warning how  the Republicans want to take away the old people's Social  Security. 

Just  in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn't know this it's easy to check out, if you don't  believe it.  Be sure and show it to your family and friends They need a little history lesson on what's what and it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican.

Facts are Facts:

Social Security Cards, issued in 1934, and up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and that card were not to be used for identification purposes. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message, NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION, was removed.

When Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA) Program. He promised:

1.) That participation in the Program would be completely voluntary,

No  longer Voluntary

2.) That the participants would only have to pay 1% of the first $1,400 of their annual Incomes into the Program,

Now  7.65% on  the first $90,000

3.) That the money the participants elected to put into the Program would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year,

No  longer tax deductible

4.) That the money the participants put into the independent 'Trust  Fund' rather than into the general operating fund, and therefore, would only be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program, and no other Government program.

Under  Johnson, another Democrat, the money was moved to The General Fund and  Spent

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income.

Under Clinton &  Gore, Democrats, Up  to 85% of your Social Security can be  Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a Social Security check every month -- and  then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put away' for us --  you may be interested in the following: 

Q: Which Political  Party took Social Security from  the independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend  it?

A:  It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democratically controlled House and Senate.

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social  Security (FICA) withholding?

A:  The Democratic Party. 

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social Security  annuities?

A:  The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting  the 'tie-breaking' deciding  vote as President of the Senate, while he  was Vice President of the   US   

Q: Which Political Party decided to start giving annuity payments to immigrants?

AND MY FAVORITE:

A:  That's right!
    Jimmy Carter and the Democratic  Party.

Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65, began to receive Social Security payments!  The Democratic Party gave these payments to them, even though they never paid a dime into it!

Then, after violating the original contract  (FICA), the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!
    And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it!   

If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe changes will evolve. Maybe not, some Democrats are awfully sure of what isn't so.

But it's worth a try.

How many people can YOU send this to? Actions speak louder than bumper stickers.

OLY

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey there, Oly. I see you are still posting GOP lies and acting surprised to learn the truth. Cool the way you begin with benign statements about text on the Social Security card and then quickly move on to lies. All of your bogus claims are several years old and they are as untrue today as when they started making the rounds. 

Oly’s lie: “When Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA) Program. He promised:
      1.) That participation in the Program would be completely voluntary.”

There has never been a provision in the Social Security Act of 1935 saying payroll deductions would be voluntary. The law always stipulated payroll taxes “shall be collected by the employer… by deducting the amount of the tax from the wages as and when paid.”

Oly’s lie: “2.) That the participants would only have to pay 1% of the first $1,400 of their annual Incomes into the Program.”
      The Social Security Act of 1935 never limited taxes to 1% of the first $1400 annual income nor was the rate ever established as permanent. The law initially provided for a tax rate of 1% of the first $3,000 with gradual increases to 3% over the next 12 years.

Oly’s lie: “3.) That the money the participants elected to put into the Program would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year”
      From the very beginning, payroll taxes have never been deductible for income tax purposes.

Oly's lie: “4.) That the money the participants put into the independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the general operating fund, and therefore, would only be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program, and no other Government program.’”
      Since it was established in 1939, all payroll taxes have gone into this “trust fund” and none have ever been put into the “general operating fund.”  However, the original act authorizes these funds to “be invested in securities backed by the…Federal government” and the government has been “borrowing” and spending this money for other programs. In theory, the funds would be “paid back” to the trust fund for paying benefits but, after 75 years, there are some questions about how the government will accomplish this. 

Oly's lie: “5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income.”
      Neither President Roosevelt nor the act itself ever specified benefits would never be taxed as income. Originally, the benefits were not treated as income due to rulings issued by the Treasury Department. Those ruling were replaced and the benefits became taxable due to amendments to the Social Security Act passed and signed by Republican President Ronald Reagan in 1983. {1}

Oly's lie: “Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend it?
      A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democratically controlled House and Senate.”

As noted in lie number 4 above, payroll taxes have never be placed in the general fund and the manner in which the funds are invested has not changed since the original bill was passed in 1935. President Johnson did instituted administrative accounting changes in 1969 that moved all Federal programs operated through trust funds onto the Federal Budget. The change had absolutely no affect on how the trust fund was invested.

Oly’s lie: “Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?
      A: The Democratic Party.”

Oly, Oly, pants on fire! As noted in lie number 5 above, Social Security benefits were exempt from taxation until Republican President Ronald Reagan signed an Amendment to the Social Security Act in 1983 allowing 50% of benefits to be treated as taxable income for taxpayers with total incomes exceeding specified limits.

Oly’s lie: “Q: Which Political Party decided to start giving annuity payments to immigrants?
      AND MY FAVORITE: A: That's right! Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party. Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65, began to receive Social Security payments! The Democratic Party gave these payments to them, even though they never paid a dime into it!"

Oly, this is by far the biggest lie of all. No one, I repeat, no one is eligible to collect Social Security retirement benefits unless they are a US Citizen or DOCUMENTED immigrant that has also paid into the system and accumulated the necessary work credits. Children and spouses may collect the authorized benefits of all eligible workers who are deceased.

The entire OP statement is a pack of lies being circulated by GOP operatives and ignorant, uninformed Americans. Sometimes I wonder about you, Oly.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1}  http://www.ssa.gov/history/1983amend2.html

OLYHOOCHposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I see I can still, keep you guys, on yout toes. How does a person learn.f you don't ask??????????????

Thank You.

OLY

Hi Oly. I’m back again.

After a little research, I believe you are the real McCoy, Oly.  In fact, you may actually be the real, real McCoy! I guess I just do not buy into your persona of naivete. Me bad!

You have posted over 340 political comments on TCUnation.com.

Your web site https://sites.google.com/site/1olyhooch1/ chronicles in detail the efforts of AZ Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s investigation of Barack Obama’s birth certificate.

Comments on the National Review page on Facebook indicate you are well versed about Social Security and COLA.

You have learned to petition Congress by using http://www.petition2congress.com/5493/s … ving-time/

You found Hubpages. You should be able to find Google and Snopes.com.
          After two years of posting threads like this one, there is a pattern.

Snopes, is NOT, NOT a reliable source.

And if you found My Website, you should know, I am able to Google anything.

Maybe I am too trusting in My Fellow American.

I have done the following. COPYIED and PASTED, This post, and, your Re-ply, and, sent it back to the source from witch I received it.

I asked the following question,

OK, Now. Who is correct on this issue.

Still waiting for a Re-ply.

When I get it, You will see what answer I got.

Thank You for checking me out. I wish others here, would do the same.

But, that is up to them.

Have a GREAT Weekend.

OLY

Oly, why send my post to your source? Why don't you trust your own research? Don't rely on me or anyone else! The persons who sent you those lies have already proven they are unreliable.

Oh, you are going to love this.....

The person who sent it to me, IS, A, History Teacher????????????

That is why I did what I did.

OLY

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
              Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Snopes, is NOT, NOT a reliable source."

If HubPages offered a prize for the most unreliable source you would at least be a finalist.

Hi Ralph. Well, that is my view on, Snopes.

Hope all is well with You and. Yours.

OLY

1. Josak profile image59
                  Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's bizarre how you can post a giant claim from an unverified source with apparent confidence but when presented with an actual fact checking website that lists it's sources you call it a bad source tongue

YEP, absolutely, Bizarre

OLY

2. OLYHOOCH profile image60

YEP, absolutely, Bizarre

OLY

2. OLYHOOCH profile image60

SOCIAL SECURITY becomes FEDERAL BENEFIT CHECK
            NET SOCIAL SECURITY NOW CALLED 'FEDERAL BENEFITPAYMENT'/ENTITLEMENT! Have you noticed, your Social Security check is now referred to as a "Federal Benefit Payment"? I'll be part of the one percent to forward this. I am forwarding it because it touches a nerve in me, and I hope it will in you. Please keep passing it on until everyone in our country has read it. The government is now referring to our Social Security Checks as a Federal Benefit Payment.This isn't a benefit
            Its earned income! Not only did we all contribute to
            Social Security but our employers did too. It totaled 15% of our income before taxes. If you averaged $30K per year over your working life,that's close to $180,000 invested in Social Security. If you calculate the future value of your monthly investment in social security ($375/month, including both your and your employers contributions) at a
            meager 1% interest rate compounded monthly, after
            40 years of working you'd have more than $1.3+
            million dollars saved! This is your personal investment. Upon retirement, if you took out only 3% per year,you'd receive $39,318 per year, or $3,277 per month.That's almost three times more than today's average
            Social Security benefit of $1,230 per month, according
            to the Social Security Administration (Google it - its affect). And your retirement fund would last more than
            33 years (until you're 98 if you retire at age 65)! I can
            only imagine how much better most average-income people could live in retirement if our government had just invested our money in low-risk interest-earning accounts. Instead, the folks in Washington pulled off a big Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever did. They took our money and used it elsewhere. They forgot that it was OUR money they were taking. They didn't
            have a referendum to ask us if we wanted to lend the
            money to them. And they didn't pay interest on the debt
            they assumed. And recently, they've told us that the money
            won't support us for very much longer. But is it our fault
            they misused our investments? And now, to add insult to injury, they're calling it benefit, as if we never worked to earn every penny of it.Just because they borrowed the money, doesn't mean that our investments were charity! Lets take a stand. We have earned our right to Social Security and Medicare. Demand that our legislators bring some sense into our government Find a way to keep Social Security and Medicare going,for the sake of that 92% of our population who need it. Then call it what it is: Our Earned Retirement Income. 99% of people won't Share this.Will you?
            Unlike · · 6 hours ago near Tacoma, WA ·

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you knew it wasn't true, why did you post it? You aren't by chance being paid to post this nonsense, are you?

Clint Eastwood’s empty chair is an apt symbol of the emptiness of the President Obama, but it is also an expression of the fundamental problem of the ideology of the left. The only source of their power is the gravity of their aggregated mass, but they have no energy, they create nothing new, and they offer nothing but death as an answer to all problems. Consider the litany of issues in which Democrats and their cohorts offer solutions, and it is always in the direction of the zero. Unwanted pregnancies? Abortions. (Kill them!) Profits? Taxes. (Kill them!) Increased longevity? Death Panels. (Kill them!) Civilization? Environmental regulations. (Kill it!) Population growth? Contraception. (Prevent them from living!) Everything about the root ideology of the left is leveraged in favor of death, destruction, and depravity. This is the hallmark of their message, but whether they succeed or fail is entirely your choice. You have now been dragged to the edge of their event horizon, but unlike so many of their past victims, you know what lies beyond it. You know that it’s a gargantuan, relentless, and crushing emptiness. This election may very well be your last chance at escape.

Six billion subsumed voices await you inside. After all, misery loves company.

And, NO. I am not being PAID. I am just an, OLD TIMER.

I try to learn something every day.

That is one reason, I am here.

OLY

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
          Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oly, where do you get this extremist crap?

OH, it just happens. I guess it is just, heck. I don't know.

OLY

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)