non-believers..what would it take to convince you

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (50 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

That Jesus is Real?
    Please, only serious answers. I'd really like to know.

1. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

it's hard to answer such a question because you are trying to base it on a fact that is a myth. jesus is nothing more then a name and i wish people would realize this. there isn't some guy who once lived that was the son of some god.i doubt anything could convince me otherwise. even if the story was real, nothing would make me worship such a thing, nothing.

2. profile image0
      jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A blow on the frontal or temporal lobe, or three extra large whiskey. Seriously!

1. profile image0
        Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Complete removal of the frontal lobe, and you have a deal.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, that is not a valid question to ask considering there is no evidence for the existence of Jesus, hence there is nothing to convince anyone Jesus is real. And, the fact that there are folks who believe Jesus is real have not been convinced because of evidence, so we must first acknowledge how it came about that they were convinced and go from there.

Start with indoctrination, as that is the most widespread and common reason why people believe Jesus is real.

janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was not indoctrinated, I was raised atheist.

God Himself proved His existence to me.

1. Sapper profile image62
          Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, that means you were never an atheist. No true atheist ever has nor ever will "become" religious. Any that say otherwise are full of it.

Nothing short of "god" showing himself and breaking a law of physics.

I was definitely atheist.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Since the latter statement is an obvious fabrication, the former most likely is, too.

Sorry, but it's true. Just because something doesn't seem real to you doesn't mean it's not.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol Your fabrications are very real.

If you are going to insist on making fun of me and accuse me of fabricationg things, that is your choice.

I expect it. It only bothers me slightly.

What I've experienced is very real to ME.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

But, not real to anything or anyone else. That's called using ones imagination.

That's fine.

I don't expect it to be real to anyone else. I have only said what my experiences have been. I totally understand that people think it's all in my head or whatever. I don't think so, but I can see how other people would think so.

I am not really even trying to convince anyone of anything. I know that is impossible.

But there are other people out there having the same experiences as I am, and I hope to help them figure out what is going on. And that God can be found if you look.

2. profile image0
                  Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't decide if you're a very successful troll possibly looking to increase your rating by inciting these discussions. What experience did you have this week that made you suddenly and completely believe in God, the Bible, and devote yourself to Jesus?

Increase my rating? I don't even know what that means. I have transfered many of my Hubs to other sites, I don't make any money here.

I was saved by Jesus. It was a physical and spiritual experience. I can't explain it to you.

I don't care if you think I'm trolling. I expect nastiness from you people. I don't care what you say or think of me, but I do care for your soul.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I would think the only way would be an understanding of how. And a clear explanation of why. So many believers say God speaks to them. Jesus speaks to them. But, that is the extent of any agreement. It's very clear that no one is being guided by anything more than personal desire. With Christianity already splintered and each believer growing further and further apart in their personal interpretation, is it any wonder that skepticism is on the rise?

Jesus was, in my mind, an incredible figure who truly believed in the good in humanity. An inspirational figure who displayed a love of all. But Christianity has used his name to attempt to spiritually enslave its followers and condemn any who won't agree. The institution is so far removed from the man it's very existence denies it's claims of divine guidance and a living spirit. Every believer who doesn't allow the spirit of love that was the impetus of the message to shine through, while insisting that their words are the product of communication with the Holy Spirit, must accept their role in tarnishing the good name of Jesus to the point that good people can find no way to conceive he ever existed. And that is a shame because, if nothing else, he was a good man worthy of being heard.

3. Beelady profile image59
    Beeladyposted 11 years ago

I accept Jesus as a real historical figure, but I'm guessing you mean 'real' as in a divine being.  I do not think there is anything another human could 'say' to convince me of that. 

It is possible, I suppose, that I could undergo a life-changing experience that leads me to discover a faith of some sort. (Not necessarily Christianity.)  I believe that faith can help individuals, and indeed whole communities, to live through adversity.  For that reason I would never disparage it. 

I'm not sure whether in such circumstances, however, my belief would be genuine,or simply a useful emotional crutch.

Other than that, I think you're looking at a direct, well-aimed and unequivocal bolt of lighting from
    God (or whoever) himself.

4. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 11 years ago

When you say "nonbelievers" I assume you mean non-Christians. Since the earliest gospel is Mark (ca. AD 65) the most recent account of Jesus' life was written decades after he was executed by the Romans. Mark and the other two synoptics (Matthew and Luke) contain much of Mark verbatim and were included, along with John and the rest of the New Testament, simply because the church got to decide what went in and what got excluded. Given such a lack of objectivity, the events described are difficult evidence upon which to place a firm belief. Faith is therefore the key, but I think most nonbelievers required a good deal more than that, even if Aquinas insisted that in matters of conflict between faith and knowledge, faith must rule. I've lived too long and seen too much to believe that a benevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient deity would allow the carnage inflicted on innocent lives. The return of Jesus? My guess is that he's glad to be away from here and would be really upset if God tried to send him back.

Yes, I meant non-Christians.

5. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

i am convinced jesus was real man who lived 2k years back...like many in his era , he too believed that god would intervene soon...god didnt and jesus died for his conviction...his barely literate disciples made him something which he never was and started new religion ...some say it is insult to jesus because jesus was sincere jew who wanted original judaism back...christians must worship paul instead of jesus...he made jesus what he is today...

now coming to ur question if jesus is real in divine sense , i doubt he would need sales agents to sell him as saviour....so people stopping their sales pitch and jesus himself taking the task would be better...

I'm certainly not doing a sales pitch. That is for the 144000 during tribulation.

6. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

It was Paul (who never met Jesus) that founded Christianity 30 years after Jesus died. Paul combined Christianity with a touch of Roman paganism and Judaism and combined a number of so-called messiah’s into one - Jesus. This is where we get the virgin birth, miracle worker, and son of god stuff. But Paul was pushing faith, not historical fact.

7. austinhealy profile image72
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

When I see less human misery in this world, less hunger, less suffering of innocent children, less wars, less greed, less stupidity, maybe I will start asking myself if there is a God after all. Until then, I'm not sure anything else will convince me of anything. Sorry !

If everyone followed Jesus Christ, there would be no misery in the world that is caused by humans.

8. quildon profile image72
    quildonposted 11 years ago

janesix, you posed this question to non-believers, but I think as a believer I ought to say what I believe and why I believe it. I believe that Jesus was a historical figure but He was and is the Son of God.   Someone pointed out that the most recent accounts of His life were written 30 years after His crucifixion. Not true! The whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation is about Jesus. He was with God before the foundations of the world. In the Old Testament there are countless references to Jesus' coming to this earth, His ministry, His death and His return. This continues in the New Testament when John the Baptist preached about His coming until He actually appears in the Gospels. The book of Acts and the Pauline epistles also show the persecution that the church suffered because they chose to follow the Way (another name for Jesus). You can also read historical accounts of this.
    And finally, we have the testimony of God the Father, "And lo a voice from heaven, saying , This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," Matthew 3 : 17.
    It's very interesting to me that most people will say they believe in God, but they have a problem believing in His Son. Fact is, you cannot believe in the Father and reject the Son because they are one.

I agree. I would never reject Jesus who gave me salvation.

9. Mom Kat profile image77
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

Nothing ~ nothing would convince me to convert to any form of Christianity. 

I was raised in a Christian home, force fed the bible for 18 years and no one, not one single person in any of the churches I went to could answer the simple questions I had.

I found my true faith and belief in the religion I've been practicing since I turned 18 and didn't have to do what my mother told me to.

No one and nothing can pull me from my faith, just as no one and nothing should be able to pull you from yours....

I don't need your religion, I have one that works perfectly well for me.  I dislike anyone who tries to force their beliefs on others from any religion and feel that it is a sign of extremely poor character.  If you are secure in your beliefs you do not need to gather masses in order to "prove" that you're right. 

I don't need anyone else to believe along side of me to make my religion valid.

I have tried to force no one to believe the way I do.

I do like to discuss it, as I believe your soul is in jeopardy if you do not find Christ and ask for salvation.

1. Mom Kat profile image77
        Mom Katposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have the right to believe whatever you want to.  My spirit is just fine & I would rather not discus a one sided argument. 

See, you already have your mind made up.  You feel that I should believe the same way you do and if I don't see it your way then I'm damned to an eternity of hell....

You've already made this clear by everything you've posted thus far.  Your belief is the only one and all others need to convert or "your soul is in jeopardy"

I made a choice over 17 years ago NOT to follow religious practices that use scare tactics to obtain followers.  And if you would hear what I said in the first place, I studied your bible for 18 years!  There is NOTHING you can say that I haven't already heard multiple times.

Thanks, but no thanks.  You're just going to have to accept that there are other religions in the world and not everyone want to be a Christian.

1. Mom Kat profile image77
          Mom Katposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry for being rude.  I'm tired and crabby.  Normally I'm not this blunt. 
          I don't take back any of the meaning behind what I've said, I just could have said it nicer.

I don't feel that you should believe the way I do. I just hope you will someday. That's all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)