How low is too low of a hub score to leave a hub published?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. GwennyOh profile image92
    GwennyOhposted 11 years ago

As asked in title.  I know it's subjective, but in your opinion, what is the lowest score you would allow an article to remain up before editing or un-publishing it?

Understand that I am new here, so putting feelers out on how to do it right!

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeterminate.  I'm not interested in scores, only in the traffic which brings income.  If a hub can maintain a dozen or two organic views per month, I'll keep it.  If it can't, but is less than a year old I'll probably keep that, too.

GwennyOhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay then wilderness, thanks.  I was thinking that a high hub score was necessary to acquire better visibility via algorithm.  Am I mistaken then?

1. Simone Smith profile image87
          Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness' advice is solid, though yes, HubScore affects ranking.

HubScore is also closely tied with quality ratings, so if your Hub has a low HubScore, chances are you can bring it up by improving its quality. To have an idea of what you should shoot for, review the descriptions of Hubs getting ratings of eight and above on this scale: hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Thanks Simone.  I currently have all of my articles featured, but am afraid that may change.  Now I will know what to do if it does happen.  Might be proactive in a case or two also.  Thanks.

2. Michael Willis profile image68
            Michael Willisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder about the hub score and quality. I have seen hub score go up and down. One week could be near 90 or even above and then go down to below mid-70's. It is hard to think that the quality changes when a hub is not edited during that time frame.
            I will say I have noticed this especially with seasonal topics. I would think that what is popular online during a period of time also effects the hub score.

2. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe that HP will more likely spread the links to high scoring hubs than low scoring ones.  Links like those at the bottom of each hub or other places they show featured hubs.

Right now my stats are showing 1700 daily views, of which 27 are from HP.  Whatever the reason, I'm not getting views from HP links and putting a few more of them around the site to increase visibility through the HP algorithm isn't going to help much.

I've written a few hubs aimed at hubbers, but in the way of putting back some of the help I've received from other hubbers.  Not to earn from. Attempting to garner HP traffic would be like wanting a portion of a thimbleful of water when there's a lake right next to you.

Heh heh,

Thanks, I'll write that on a note and stick it under my hat.

Cheers

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that a significant part of the score is how much traffic it's getting, not a reflection of how good it is. 

I've found that a good score doesn't mean anything when it comes to earnings potential.   My best scoring Hubs are not my best earners.  Like Sabreblade, I would never make a decision on Hubs based on their score, because I'm writing for readers, not HP.

To give you an idea how unimportant scores are:  there was a forum thread recently where HubPages staff agreed the Hubber Score and Hub Scores are misleading, but they don't have time to work on a replacement system right now, and they don't want to remove the existing scores until they've got one designed.

3. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't use HubScore to make this decision. I rely on the Featured Hub element of the HubPages system. If a hub is Featured, I keep it up, as it is adding to my Google revenue. If a Hub is not featured, I slate it for improvement or removal. But, since it is featured, and therefore not indexed, it doesn't lower my Google ranking. So there's no rush.

4. pinto2011 profile image68
      pinto2011posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that one should concentrate on writing quality hub with original contents covering all the aspects like the subject, related pictures, opinion polls, connected videos, etc. and if the hubscore is lower than 8 than consider revisiting and revising it.

2. lovebuglena profile image84
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

I don't think a hub score matters that much. It's the views that are important.

Thanks for your opinion.  I was curious to see a cross section of responses.  Now I am getting an idea of how it works.

3. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

When a hub gets more traffic, its hub-score goes up. That is why the score goes up and down even if you don't change anything.

And to answer your original question, I set my limit at 70.
    If, a hub of mine, even after improving it, continues to score less than 70 for over a year, it  gets the chop.

I see, that makes sense!

4. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

Right now three of my top ten visited Hubs are 78-75 scores.
    Which means HP doesn't care for the Hubs, but readers do.
    So....readers win, because that is who I am writing for, not HP.
    Don't get me wrong...I love high Hub scores.
    But I like traffic and happy readers more.

5. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Let's start a new thread:

Stop unfairly, artificially depressing my Hub Score!

fun, fun, fun

6. page1articles profile image61
    page1articlesposted 11 years ago

SidKemp has some good points. I also rely upon Google Analytics to determine what to keep published and what re-work. Focus on browse rate and bounce rate helps to understand what viewers are doing when they land on my article.

I'm still reading, I just don't have a lot to say at this moment.  Thanks for the replies.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If the hub complies with requirements and gets views I would leave it up even with a hub score of 0.

8. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

If a quality hub gets less than 10 visits in 30 days, it might soon be idled unless it is new The quality does not matter much nor does the score.

All of these  responses are the kind of information I needed to understand how it all works.  Thanks so much for the insight!

1. page1articles profile image61
        page1articlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A large portion of the answer to this question is really connected to what your goal is with each article. If you are trying to earn ad revenue and the article is not idle, then leave it published. Though you can work on your articles to help them find more readers.

9. StitchTheDamned profile image67
    StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years ago

I am a very new hubber, but I would honestly leave a hub up, as long as it is still getting views. I am still not completely sure how a hubscore really effects everything, though.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't affect anything, it's just an indicator of its success.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)