Big Corporate Brother

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (364 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://jezebel.com/creepy-quantified-se … map=%5B%5D

We all know that "voluntary" means do it or there is no promotion.  That's the first problem.

Second, what right does a corporation have to know your personal habits?  Is there no privacy anymore!?!?!?!?  Remember in 1984 when all citizens were required to exercise every morning before the telescreen...

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Employers should be able to dictate the requirements of employment. If I want to offer you a job, but you have to wear a pink shirt when you are at home, then that's a contract if you agree to it. People should be able to make contracts.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

And..dictatorship.  You just proved my point.  A contract doesn't mean you get to control every aspect of my life.  That's called slavery.

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
          peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When unions were first formed, they were to protect the abuses of the worker from the employer.  But as time passed, like some organizations, they become too powerful and corrupt.  Then the balance of power moves the other way.  it sounds as if the company wants to ensure their employee's healthfulness so they can make them more productive, thus increasing their bottom line. It's much like the insurance company ads where they want you to thrive...translation, stay healthy so that you don't file any claims and we can still charge exorbitant premium fees. It's still exploitation of the people.  In an ideal world, there would be a balance of power where people where not be excessively exploited and companies could still make a reasonable profit.

2. profile image0

No, it's not, because you aren't forced into agreeing.

The EMPLOYER owns the job, so the EMPLOYER should be FREE(that freedom thing) to dictate the requirements for the job. Potential employees are FREE to accept, reject, or counter-offer.

1. profile image0

So you've given me another reason why capitalism is authoritarian.

1. profile image0

Lol.

FREEDOM is authoritarian. I'm the authority on the rules if you want to be in MY house. I'm the authority on the rules if you want to be on MY private property in MY company.

When you have freedom, you are the ultimate authority over your own domain.

1. innersmiff profile image67
                innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. profile image0

I don't have to go to your house to eat tongue.  And to take that sort of attitude tells me a lot about how you treat people who have less power than you.

But again, I say thank you for showing me how authoritarian capitalism really is.  You are going to be my example.

I also wonder if a boss should be able to beat you for insubordination, assuming you sign a contract authorizing him to?

1. profile image0

How do I treat people with 'less power' than me? Please, I would love to hear details.

Do you disagree? Do you think that a guest at your home should be able to make the rules?

A contract cannot supercede law, but ideally, if you are stupid enough to sign a contract that you will allow someone to beat you, I'm not going to try and stop you.

1. profile image0

I'm not arguing that a guest should "make the rules" in your house.  What I'm saying is your attitude of complete power over all under you in your house disturbs me.  If your parents live/lived with you, does that mean you can control what they say and do at all times?  How they dress?  What they watch?

What if there was no law against an employer beating an insubordinate employee?  Let's say assault is illegal, but in certain circumstances like this, it wouldn't be "assault."

2. profile image0

Sooner, you didn't answer one of my questions.

How do I treat people under me? You said it disturbs you... what exactly about how I treat people disturbs you? Specifics please.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                  MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Professional boxers get beaten for money every day. That's their job, that's what they sign up for.

Or are they oppressed too?

Seriously, if you sign up for something, you make the willing choice to deal with it or quit.  Personal responsibility.

1. profile image0

That's not even close to the same.  False analogies weaken your ethos drastically.

Perhaps it would hold if the boxing instructor could punch his fighters in the face if they didn't comply.  Signing up to fight is not the same as enduring physical punishment from an employer.

3. Clint Ward profile image60
                  Clint Wardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is authoritarian capitalism?

1. profile image0

Capitalism is authoritarian.  There is no such thing as "authoritarian capitalism" because that would imply there is a capitalism that is not authoritarian.

3. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point; if the company demands that you exercise from 5 to 6, then you've earned an hour's pay.  If they demand you consume this and that during the meal period, then you've earned another hours pay.  Plus the "this and that" cost.  If they want it written up, they can pay for the time you spend writing it.  A company cannot decline to pay for time worked; if they are requiring certain actions they can pay for performing those actions.

Salaried folks might have a tough time here, but also have a shot at proving they don't fall under the laws for being salaried at all.  It is also possible they could end up earning less than minimum wage, especially if their sleep time is arranged by the company.

1. profile image0

The only way I can see requiring exercise is if your job is physical.  So if you are a cop or security guard, it's good to be in shape; it's inherent in the job itself.

If you are a computer programmer, your exercise (unless you are ridiculously gluttonous) has a minimal effect on doing your job.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

I disagree.  I am with Jaxson, if you agree to do it then that is your choice.

There are plenty of companies that will fire you for your behavior off-duty.  If my employer fires me because I was youtubed stupid drunk then that is his right.  Yet I am not entitled to any hourly pay for being sober.

Companies should be free to choose who they hire and what conditions they put on the hiring... as long as they don't violate labor laws. 

Particularly if this company is paying health insurance, has a public image as a "fit" company, or has employees constantly in the public eye.

As an employee, you are an asset.  When you sign up for employment, the employer should tell you what that asset means to the company and you agree to either comply or find another job.

1. profile image0

STOP AGREEING WITH ME! ITS FREAKING ME OUT!!!

smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

I disagreed with you in the other thread... Does that help? smile

2. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is all a little gray, but...

A company cannot, for instance, demand you be on the job 10 minutes before your pay starts every day.  Just as they cannot ask you to work over without being paid; if a supervisor "allows" it and the company knows about it they can be heavily fined, with triple pay going to the employees so mistreated.

Bottom line; if a company has the right to demand you perform this or that task, you must be paid for doing it.  No exceptions, although it can get a little gray in what a company can demand of a salaried employee.

2. Josak profile image59
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

#1 There are plenty of things people cannot agree to in contracts.

#2 The workplace control should go no further than the workplace

#3 companies should not be exploiting people's desperation for work to impose themselves on the private lives of their employees.

1. profile image0

1 - I know, I'm talking about 'should be able to'.

2 - I disagree. If two people are willing to agree to a contract that the employee must wear a pink shirt while out shopping, then that contract should be fulfilled. We don't need the government to say what we can and can't agree to, that's not freedom.

3 - Always turning the good guys(the ones who made jobs, risked time/money/effort to create jobs) into the bad guys. If you don't like the terms of employment, find another job or create your own.

1. Josak profile image59
            Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never said we had to ban the practice that does not make it right or acceptable, creating a job does not make you a good guy, that is nonsensical, it makes you someone who wants to make money off employees, nothing wrong with that but it is certainly not a virtue.

People are desperate they lose the ability to negotiate and refuse to feed themselves and their families and some companies (bad ones) are leaping on the opportunity to exploit that hardship to force themselves into the private lives of other where they have no business being and if the trend continues it will become a common and accepted practice expanding ever more into the private lives of employees and the result is a loss of freedom, but obviously that is fine when it's a company doing it, that just drips hypocrisy.

The choice between unemployment and hunger or a company intruding in your private life is not freedom no matter how much those looking to profit from it will call it "choice".

1. profile image0

An employer has no responsibility to provide jobs. He owns them. He controls them. A citizen has no right to the company at all.

You simply cannot say that people don't have a choice. They do. They can create their own business. They can find another job. If the employer didn't exist, they would be no worse off. It's an entitlement mentality that looks at jobs like that.

No freedom is lost. If I offer to pay you $20/hr, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, to post on forums, but I want you to wear a pink shirt at the store, there's NO loss of freedom on your part, whether you accept or not.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
                Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Henry Ford tried to require his workers to go to church every Sunday. That and a number of workplace injustices with no opportunity for redress led to the unionization of all of his factory workers in the United States in 1940, the last of the auto companies to be unionized.

1. profile image0

Cool, has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Are you ever going to answer my other question Ralph?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
                    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Cool, has nothing to do with what we are talking about."

Why would you say that Ford requiring his workers to go to church on Sundays has nothing to do with what you're talking about? They no doubt had heard about the policy, and if they didn't like it they could quit and find a job with GM whose treasurer was Jewish. (Henry didn't hire jews.)

No. I couldn't understand what you were driving at. You contradicted what John Bogle said about 401k plan ripoffs with a question that made no sense to me. And now that you bring up your unfounded assertions read this article by the Alan Sloan, Editor of Fortune magazine on corporate taxes:
                    http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/10/news/co … index.html

2. Clint Ward profile image60

I don't know that voluntary means do it or there is no promotion, so everything you said after that isn't relevant.

1. profile image0

Um.  I'm trying to respond as nicely as possible, because I feel like you are intentionally misinterpreting me.

I was referring specifically to policies of corporations where they claim an employee can "voluntarily" do something, such as take a class, go to a luncheon, etc.  They say voluntary as if it will have NO effect on the employee's future with the company, which is a complete lie.  That's where voluntary came into play.

1. Clint Ward profile image60

I can't imagine why you would answer in any way but nice. Let me help you with this, voluntary means "Done, given, or acting of one's own free will" it does not mean "do it or there is no promotion" that would be coercion. Since all of the employees are adding their data voluntarily nothing you said fits.

1. profile image0

"Employees can voluntarily do action X, and whether they do or do not, it will have no effect on their employment."

So, the employer is REQUIRING action X be done in order to advance.  It's only voluntarily in the sense that you are "choosing" to work at that corporation.  Assuming people would want to advance, the actions are REQUIRED to go up the corporate ladder, but are not framed as such.

It would be like me saying, "Clint and friends, I'm offering a voluntary night program to help improve salesmanship.  This is just extra, and it won't be counted against you if/when you decide to apply for a promotion," when in reality, I am very much holding it against you. 

The voluntary for the exercise and what not is actually going to end up being required to advance at all in the future.

1. Clint Ward profile image60

That is in your imagination and not in the story you provided.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

If you have the money and the power, you have OWNERSHIP over your life. The majority of people are afraid of their own power.  Most people do not want the responsibility of working for themselves or creating jobs for other people.  They subconsciously want to be taken care of.

Most people are also in the security mode. They want jobs that are secure.  These jobs do not necessarily mean growth and creativity.  They just want a job with guarantees.   They also want to be safe, comfortable, and secure. They do not want to venture out of their particular comfort zone no matter how purgatorial or infernal it is.   

I am digressing.  Now, when one works for others, he/she has to agree to the corporate consensus in order to survive in that particular environment.  He/she has to adopt the corporate language,mannerisms, and live by the corporate dictates.  He/she becomes the organization person.   In essence, when one works for others, he/she is OWNED in a way.   There is no way to get around that fact.   Even the most powerful person, in the corporation, unless he/she OWNS the corporation, must subvert part of his/her own identity to the corporate whole. 

Most people are powerless.   They would rather work for someone else and assume as little responsibility as possible than to either be an entrepeneur, taking risks and responsibility. The context here is power.  Many people are loathe to take and/or afraid of their own power.  That is why many people prefer to work for others than to work for themselves.   What many people refuse to learn is that those who have the power MAKE the rules.   If they want power, they have to TAKE and/or HAVE that power, pure and simple. Sadly, many people want to be taken care off hence the company person.

3. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

And we wonder why business in the US and the UK is in such a mess when people gladly give up so much control of their own lives to the corporations!

We'd all do a lot better to remember that though labour needs capital, capital needs labour just as much.

4. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

So John, with all your 'love of freedom', you don't believe that a corporation has the right to extend an offer to a prospective employee that says they can't ride a motorcycle outside of work.

Sounds like you really don't love freedom, you want to force people to be nice the way you think they should.

1. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What possible interest could it be to my employer if I ride a motorbike outside work?

Have a look at Henry Ford who at one time sought to exercise such control over his workforce or any of the UK mill owners who tried to dictate how their workers lived? None of them that are still in business attempt to exercise such control any more.

1. profile image0

It doesn't matter. If you believe in freedom, then you have to accept that they have the freedom to require that as part of the employment contract. They also have the freedom to run their business into the ground.

So, does an employer have the right to stipulate in an employment contract that anybody who accepts the contract can't ride a motorcycle? Yes or no?

5. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

I cannot recall the document or report but it is a fact that people who are unhealthy, obese, call in sick much more than those who regularly exercise and.or eat healthy. This was on a radio talk show as well. You can reject the employment offer or accept their rules. A free society. How are you a slave?

1. profile image0

I don't deny this.  If you are loaded with health problems, you can't work.

But requiring everyone to be in tip top shape and eat the corporate diet is authoritarian.

1. profile image0

John, still waiting for you to say which freedom I don't believe in.

Good morning, I've told you plenty of times, if you stil haven't got it, reread the thread.

1. profile image0

No, every time I've shown how you were wrong. You have AGREED with me each time.

Look, a man who is in servitude to a master can not by definition be free, even if it is his choice to enter into that servitude and even if he is free to leave it.

1. profile image0

Lol.

A man who agrees to work for a wage, and is free to stop working whenever he wants, is not in 'servitude'. Servitude is the state of being a slave. Slaves don't have the choice to leave.

Just keep on making up definitions.

John, it's sad that you have the gall to call me a hypocrite, but you won't even dare to back up your assertion by explaining exactly what freedoms I don't believe in. I guess if it makes you feel like you're winning the argument... o.O

Servitude -

a. A state of subjection to an owner or master.
                  b. Lack of personal freedom, as to act as one chooses.

Your call.

1. profile image0

Yup, and an employee fits neither.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To John and Sooner 28, what suggestions and implementations would YOU BOTH put in place for a more humane and equitable corporate environment?

1. profile image0

I know you didn't ask me, but I try to pay those who work for me as much as I can, and be a good employer to them. The more employers that do that, the more other employers will have to keep up to remain competitive.

1. profile image0

I'm glad you have that attitude.  Capitalism would be much more bearable if everyone did.

2. John Holden profile image59

Make people as important as profits.

3. profile image0

Capitalism must go.  Beyond that, I don't know.

3. John Holden profile image59

Exactly! This is why I can't understand those who think universal health care is a socialist plot. It is in the interests of capitalists to have a healthy work force but it is also in their interests not to have to pay for it.

6. gmwilliams profile image85

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7921533.jpg

YOU will do as I SAY if YOU want THE JOB.  Well, DO YOU?  I can get many people in YOUR place!

7. gmwilliams profile image85

He/she who has the money and power have the goods. He/she owns the jobs and can set his/her rules regarding the work environment.  Sad but true.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7921579_f248.jpg

Welcome to the postmodern, 21st century workforce....................
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7921608_f248.jpg

8. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

Ugh.  I would never consider dictating what my employees do on their own time.  I only ask that they do the work they have agreed to do.

While Jaxson is right that a person can choose whether or not to work for someone who wants to dictate what they wear when they are not on the job, John is also right that an employer who dictates such a thing is infringing upon the employee's personal freedom.  An employee's acceptance of such a contract does not make it less of an infringement.  It merely makes it an infringement that he has agreed to.  Most people would not be happy to agree to such an infringement in their personal lives, but might do so out of need for a job and a feeling that they have little or no choice.  The employer, on the other hand, has a choice as to how much he/she wants to infringe upon the freedom of his employees.  One who chooses to do such a thing while espousing how much they love freedom is, indeed, a hypocrite.

1. profile image0

That's like saying that accepting a job offer is an example of the employer infringing on your right to sleep in and watch TV all day. It's not an infringement.

IF YOU AGREE TO DO SOMETHING, THEN YOU ARE DOING IT OF YOUR OWN CHOICE.

How is that hard to understand?

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I said.  If I agree to let you dictate to me that I should wear red underwear to bed, then I have agreed to let you infringe upon my personal freedoms, outside of work.  It's still an infringement.

1. profile image0

No, you haven't agreed to let me infringe on your freedoms. You have agreed to do something. HUGE difference.

In the US, we have freedom from warrantless searches. If a cop asks if he can search my house, I can refuse. No infringement. Or, I can let him in. Still, no infringement. I made the choice. An infringement is when you take the choice away from someone.

Is an employer infringing on your right to watch Soap Operas if your job requires you to be at work at 8AM?

1. profile image0

If an employer makes something that you do on your personal time a condition of employment, and you agree to it, then you are agreeing to have your personal freedom restricted.  Being on the job while soap operas are on TV is not the same thing.  You are getting paid for your time at work.

1. profile image0

You are also getting paid for wearing a blue shirt at the store, because that is part of your job. That is part of your employment contract. It's exactly the same. You aren't having a freedom infringed upon. YOU ARE AGREEING TO DO SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR MONEY.

1. profile image0

Yes, agreeing to do something that infringes upon my personal freedom.

1. profile image0

Just like agreeing to go to work infringes on your personal freedom to stay home o.O

1. profile image0

No, it doesn't.  I'm getting paid for being on the job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)