Can I contact hubbers directly for articles for new online magazine?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (72 posts)
  1. Grant Kearney profile image60
    Grant Kearneyposted 11 years ago

Hi I am publishing a new online magazine. I currently have created and paid for the first 3 issues using elance.com and fiverr.com and need articles and story's for future issues.

As this is a new publication I have no subscribers or advertisers yet, so do not have the funds to pay for the articles for future issues.

1    Am i allowed to contact or message other hubbers directly and ask if they would like to submit articles or story's?

2    What can I offer as substitute for payment?

any suggestions are welcomed

kindest regards
    Grant Kearney

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you're willing to allow authors to include a link to their own blog, website or Hubs, then that should be enough payment!   

Paul explains why in this thread:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/110074#post2342721

Your problem might be that you should only accept links to other sites or articles about angels (your chosen subject), which will limit the number of authors able to write for you.

2. 2Tony profile image59
      2Tonyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quite a few people will do it for a back link. Ok it's new with no page rank but where's it going?

Good luck

Tony

3. profile image64
      Jmiller17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Grant. What type of magazine is this? What is your focus / market? I'd be interested in writing. Paying with back links for now is probably the best way to go. Let me know

Grant Kearneyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi  magazine is called angels magazine and is on everything angels.

the market is christian, new age and spiritual readers.

4. Marisa Wright profile image84

Grant, how experienced are you at making money online?   

Personally, I don't know anyone who makes money by selling an online magazine and paying their writers for articles.  I know people who pay for articles, but they earn their income through advertising, or by selling products to their subscription list - not by charging for the magazine itself.  I fear you may be putting the cart before the horse here.

5. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Grant, Just curious and no criticism intended (because I think your choice could be a good one) but why have YOU chosen Angels. Is there your own human interest story behind why or is it just, how should I say, a business decision? :-)

No I dont mind you can ask me anything.

When I was looking to write books the two subjects that kept coming up were helping children and angels. I have always been fascinated with angels so just evolved from that.

Not so long ago I found a feather in my car, on the passenger seat, which is white and the feather was black so couldn't miss it. I asked my friends who said it was angels leaving them as a message. I'm wasnt sure what the message was, but the same thing happened 4 days after the first, I came form from work to find another feather on my doorstep. No bigger..you may say. But its the first feather I have every found on my doorstep.
        Then that weekend I went to visit my mother in the rest home, only to find that her health had deteriorated so badly that the rest home has called all the family in to see her.
        That was 3 weeks ago and she is still hanging in there, so my feeling it was the angels telling me my mum is really really sick smile

1. profile image0
          Rayne123posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get that feeling from your story of angels also.

The Angels wanted you to go visit her before the end of her time here on earth. Then everything is going to be ok. Everyone that finds a feather may have and will have a different meaning behind it.
          Some just flick it away as a feather however they know who is going to understand the message and who isnt. God/Angels.

I am very fascinated in Angels and the mystical unseen also. I wrote a poem on Angels and a true story in one of my hubs.

IF you like it, I would be honored that you use it in your magazine, I do not want any payment and would never expect that.

Thank you
          Laurie

6. Nancy Owens profile image80
      Nancy Owensposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dear Grant:

In addition to writing here on HubPages, I also am a contractor on Elance.

Typically, articles must be paid for using the Elance Escrow funding system. Sometimes clients do offer bonuses after publication of books, etc., but also do pay the contractor for the work produced.

I hope this information helps, and that your venture is a successful one.

Sincerely,

Nancy

Hi Nancy thanks for your comment, I have used Elance for the bulk of the content for the magazines issues completed so far.
        However I am looking for writers to submit articles and story's in exchange for back-links or link to there website.
        If you know of any sites or writers who maybe interested, kindly let me know.
        Regards
        Grant

7. profile image0

HI there Grant, someone just led me to your blog.

I have a hub written on the true experience in my life with Angels and be more than happy to have you post it or have a link to it. Thanks

Laurie

Hi Laurie
        most certainly would love to post it on my blog www.angels-magazine.com

I am also looking for articles and story's for anthology book on angels

regards
        Grant

1. profile image0

oh I didnt notice this comment, that would be great , thank you

Laurie

2. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey Grant Kearney!

So long as you're not spamming people, you can contact Hubbers through the "Fan Mail" tab on their Profiles. It's up to you what you think would be appropriate to provide as an incentive. Most people prefer payment, however, so you'll have to work harder to find volunteers. big_smile

Hello Simone

thanks for taking the time to the reply and the advise. I am also into securing some advertisers so i would then have the funds to pay for the articles and story's.

kind regards
      Grant

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I assume you are seeking writers in certain areas, so you have nothing to lose by just asking. But as a non-paying start-up you really don;t have very much to offer.in the tangible sense.  I guess you would have to hope the mission or message of your site resonated with them.

4. tiffanyz profile image60
    tiffanyzposted 11 years ago

What audience will the magazine be  targeting?

5. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

First of all write a Hub about your Magazine with complete details. Contact Hub Followers who could have similar interests. Make a few out of the first ten contributors as your section editors and partners in profits and not is losses and the list in long....

Hey great idea about write a Hub on magazine. Not sure of the making Hub followers as section editors?

Can you rephrase that in English?

1. wqaindia profile image37
          wqaindiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if English will do. Let us understand by signals alone.

2. tiffanyz profile image60
      tiffanyzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great Idea, wgaindia,   we definitely need more details, the idea of making a few hubbers partners and section editors is a great of way of getting hubbers to pay attention and maybe help out. No one is going to write for a magazine without knowing what's in it for them.

1. wqaindia profile image37
        wqaindiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I offer my unconditional free of cost support for the Magazine for good cause of the Humanity. I have thought the name of the magazine as " Reader's Choice ".

6. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 11 years ago

I would say make a few friends here with people of like interests, Then ask them if they would like to write a few articles for you, if they are as passionate about your subject matter as you are, i am sure they would be willing to contribute, of course they should be credited for their articles and a promise of future income when your business gets going would help.

1. tiffanyz profile image60

Absolutely, We need to know the target audience, topics, etc.  Future income possibilities should be  part of it and also as you mentioned crediting authors for their work.

The magazine is called Angels Magazine with a wordpress blog of the same name (not sure if allowed to post www on here?)
        Haven't sold any issues yet as have only started promoting, but have had people down load the free report, so I'm building a list.
        All the writers of the articles have been credited with there work and have a bio in the contributors section.
        Once there are enough magazine issues created and sold, the best articles will be selected and edited into a book, from funds from sales.

I will check out the wordpress blog and get back to you.

Thanks Im just starting the hub on the angels magazine now and will post it shortly.

great

This a new venture or should I say new adventure for me, as having ot learn everything as I go along and as I'm a little more mature in years, so having to learn new technology as well lol

2. profile image0

Hi Grant

I hope you do great with this magazine and if it was meant to be you will do excellent. I have no doubt in my mind.

However why do you not change the title, maybe use an appropriate picture along with the title.
          Living among Angels or Living along the unseen, I think the first one might be a title for a book already. But just to give a few ideas for now.

I have many quotes I write myself, some are posted on my hubs, if you want I would be more than honored if one of the quotes/pictures are used. If you like it of course.
          I have quite a few pictures/quotes that are not posted

Laurie.

7. Maralexa profile image83
    Maralexaposted 11 years ago

If your magazine is about protecting endangered animals/mammals I would certainly contribute an article to get you started . . .

I look forward to your hub or your telling us what your magazine is about.

I have posted hub on my magazine, now have to wait 24 hours.

The magazine is on angels and everything about them, just wary of the rules about "advertising and promotional posts in the forums"

hello here is the hub "Angels Magazine, a magazine on everything angels"

Im not sure how to add a link to it smile

Grant, I just read one of the hubs on your page.   I would love to contribute an article.  I love the idea of your magazine.

2. Grant Kearney profile image60

have had to take this hub down as seen as too promotional  sad

8. Alexis Pedrico profile image47
    Alexis Pedricoposted 11 years ago

I messaged something on your website on contact us section, i know a good writing site where you could hire prolific and high quality writers, i tried it for a year and half its really good. hope it can help.

Just found out the contact page on the site  wasnt working so can you kindly send to my email grantkearney@xtra.co.nz

9. Mommymay profile image70
    Mommymayposted 11 years ago

I see that you have had a lot of responses but also think that many of us would do it for the bac klink to one of our hubs or websites!

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

You may contact me any time you wish. lol
    Didn't Guideposts have a similar type of publication a few years back?

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Grant, just one observation. I note that you are wanting to make your magazine available on a payment basis. While this may be great for you, it will be placing any guest writers you have at a massive disadvantage. If you are not offering payment, the only incentive for contributors will be backlinks to their web sites or articles elsewhere. However, a magazine operating on a paid subscription basis is going to have a much smaller audience, hence the value of these backlinks will be substantially smaller than on a web site open to all.

hello and thanks for your message, however I am stuck in a Catch 22 situation, I need to charge readers for the magazine to give me the funds to pay the writers for there articles and story's, and to pay the other professionals for editing, cover design and the layout .
      The ideal solution would be to pay the writers as I have done on the 1st three issues, but without charging a subscription I cant pay for any more.
      Unless I put the next issue on hold till I have paying subscribers?

WriteAngled is absolutely right.

Personally I think you will have an uphill battle getting people to pay for a subscription immediately.  Your magazine has no reputation and no history, why would anyone want to buy a pig in a poke? 

I think you need to take the long view.  Start out offering the magazine free of charge.  Look for ways to earn income through advertising, to pay your costs.  Then once you've got a good number of subscriptions, you can consider introducing a paid service.

can you kindly expand on  "backlinks will be substantially smaller than on a web site open to all"?
      or are you able to give me websites as examples for me to look at?

many thanks
      Grant

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pages you have to pay to access have lower pagerank.  Lower pagerank means less value as a backlink.

3. psycheskinner profile image84

Not to mention the obvious question.

If the editor is being paid, why are the writers being asked to work for free?

Unfortunately the editor is not making any money till the magazine is selling, but once it is, I will then be in a position to pay the writers smile

IMHO if you are charging money you should be paying money.  Even if it is just based on profit sharing after the fact.

As others have mentioned it is far better to offer donated content for free, so no one is getting exploited.

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I think you call them 'Contributing Author' or something along those lines wink

13. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

Grant, how much research did you do before deciding on this business model?   I've just been trying to find online magazines which charge for subscriptions and so far, I haven't had much luck (unless they're big, established newspapers and magazines which also have a paper-based version).   

I have found a lot of magazines and newsletters which offer free subscriptions and I get the feeling that's what people expect. I'm wondering how many people will really be willing to pay a monthly fee for yours.  Especially since $3.99 (your monthly fee) will buy a whole ebook.

I'm just concerned because it looks like you're investing money in this venture and I'm concerned that investment may be wasted. 

You might be better to focus on the anthology idea.   Invite writers to write for the anthologies on a profit-share basis.  You could do the work of listing the ebooks on Amazon Kindle, Smashwords (which covers the other ebook reader formats) and CreateSpace (for the hard copy version), and take a fee for that.  I'm sure if you asked for contributions on the forums on HubPages, Wizzley, Squidoo and other writers' sites, you'd get some interest.

Wow, what can I say? Except thanks for your message. You have made me stop and evaluate my whole biz idea...in a positive way.
      I have done no market research into the magazine idea, and have spent many months and so far have NO subscribers.

My plan was to publish the magazine first and then to move into anthology books, once I had a regular subscriber base. And enough content.
      Maybe should I just work on the book idea instead as i would be doubling up on my efforts any ways.

What do you think?  everyone is telling me that the magazine wont work, and I have been stubborn and have stuck to the magazine idea. There is certainly a bigger market for books than magazines and would be an easier to sell them as well.

Any suggestions on what I can do with the 3 issues i have far?
          edit into one picture book?
          take stories out and edit into ebooks?
          do both?
      I have spent so much time money effort it seems a waste to give up sad

If you are asking other people to donate their time and efforts, your first step should be to do that research. None of these options are a guaranteed success unless you do your research and make a decent business plan first.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I can't tell you whether the ebook idea would work - but if you decide to go ahead, then certainly, you could use the material from your first few issues.  This blog might help you:

http://lissowerbutts.com/

As for the website, I suggest you sign up for the Keyword Academy (Google it) - not necessarily to pay for the course, but to read the free information.  It will open your eyes to what running a website is all about. 

It's not easy to make money on the internet, whatever people tell you. Most people make money from a website in two ways: 

1.  display advertising on the site (either on commission or paid)
        2.  offer a free subscription with some kind of carrot, and then market products (either on commission or their own) to those subscribers in the newsletters.

Professional webmasters do pay people to produce content, but they do it because they've researched their topic - so they know there's a good audience for it, and they know what advertising they can get or what products they can sell, AND - most importantly - they know how to create and promote their website so it gets readers.   If you don't have a handle on those things, then you're really up against it.

The vast majority of website owners started out by doing everything themselves, not paying other people to do it - and that's a good idea, because you're going to make so many mistakes at first and if you've invested money, you'll lose it.

Just re-read your reply and was wondering if you can expand on the profit share?
      How would it work for a lower price point. I can get my head around something that sold for $100 and every writer received 1% ie $1 from every sale but at a price under $9.99??

14. skye2day profile image68
    skye2dayposted 11 years ago

I saw your link on an angel hub.  I have written many true stories on angels and have published them at hubpages. I think your venture is a dream you desire to pursue. There are no mistakes in Gods world and angels are Gods creation.  Satan himself was a fallen angel. Now he roams the earth to devour.  The good news is, 'For he hath given his angels charge over thee; to keep thee in all thy ways' Psalm 91:11

Your taking on a big venture but with God all things are possible. I encourage you to go for it. You will always wonder why you did not if you do not take the risk. It is a reasonable risk as well. Allot of hard work but nothing starts at the top. Best wishes on your venture if you are interested in an angel story revised I would be touched.

There are some great suggestions here. Hubbers are a great lot!! Love, Skye

Thanks Skye
      it seems every time I get the feeling that I'm lost and over whelmed or not sure whether to continue with this project, someone out of the blue contacts me, just as you have done and others on here as well, and inspire me to continue.
      so thanks so much for your kind words and message,
      God bless you
      Grant

1. skye2day profile image68
        skye2dayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Grant if this is from GOD no man can shut the door.  Does this line up with Gods will and his word? If yes then you have nothing to loose.  Angels are mentioned in the bible many times I believe over 350.  God will direct your path.  Make sure of your motives brother. My best wishes for success. With GOD all things are possible to those that believe. Love, Skye

15. skye2day profile image68
    skye2dayposted 11 years ago

Grant oops I forgot.  If you would like a true angel story or some, NO charge bro!!! God is my source for income. If your site can touch a heart with love then Praise God. He gets the Glory not me. Amen.  After all he is the creator of angels. Love, Skye.

Thanks Skye, would like some story's for my blog or even book, that I'm getting ready to start working on. At this stage cant pay anyone but am researching crowdfunding options to see if viable for my book project.
      Then if I still cant pay at least every writer who submits a story will receive a printed copy of the book for free. As they say "watch this space"  lol
      Kindest regards
      Grant

Would love to read your true life angel story's smile

skye2dayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

go to my hubpages e mail me I will give you links to the true stories. God Bless Grant. Keep your eyes on Jesus. He will light the way!! Skye

16. lorddraven2000 profile image91
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

I have been contacted for several magazines through hubpages. I think most writers here would be honored to hear from you.

If I can run a successful crowdfunding campaign I would have the funds to pay the writers for there articles.
      What would be in your opinion a good and reasonable amount to offer for each article?

1. profile image0

I dont expect to get paid, as a matter of fact I would help you out if I can.

thank you
        Laurie

17. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think the expectation of pay is relative to income (e.g. how much you get paid).    But Kickstarter might be a way to get subscribers.

18. Grant Kearney profile image60
    Grant Kearneyposted 10 years ago

Angel’s Project - Making a difference in the life of a sick child

Would you like to be part of something that makes a difference in the life of a child?

I have an dream to create an anthology book on Angels that can be given away free to thousand’s of children in children’s hospitals all around the country and the world. However to donate the books, first need to create the books and then some how raise the funds to have the books printed and then personal given to a child in hospital so they know they are not alone in there stay in hospital.

Hospitals are scary and exciting at the same time, however once the families and friends have all gone home it become very lonely and frightening place to be, even more so when you are a child.

My wish is that the anthology book will have the very best writers of today contribute a story or article for this project and would love it if you would like to be part of this exciting project. The story’s can be
        Real life experiences
        Short story’s
        Poems
        Artworks   
        And even pictures with saying on them

I will leave it up to the writers who will be guided to write or even submit a previous story, and it will be prefect

It would be really awesome if you come on board with this project, there are so many sick children who’s lives we can touch and make a difference in J

God bless
    Grant Kearney

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think its a great idea. I also have a poem on Angels and a few children poems that the titles were given to me by a couple of children. I hope to ask children to pick any topic of inspiration whether real or fantasy or just something they like and I will try to write a poem about it. I have 2 done already and will gladly help you anyway I can.

Grant Kearneyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for coming on board and helping out, and whatever you write will be just perfect. And it is about inspiring the children smile

skye2dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I too would be honored to submit a story or two. Please keep me posted. Let us be the hands and feet for Jesus.Touching the children in His Glorious Name. Many Blessings, Skye

Where would you like us to submit a story or poem or essay? Peace dear brother.

http://skye2day.hubpages.com/_3go6t2gtt … the-rescue

Grant Kearneyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Skye that would be awesome
            my email is grantkearney@xtra.co.nz
            I loved your story "God sends angels to auto accident to rescue, protect and save me."
            Grant

skye2dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Grant,  Please keep us informed on your magazine. I will write up an angel story as we cannot 'legally' submit our material ( hubs ) to another site. We would have to remove it to send elsewhere. So it gives me a Blessed reason to take action. Can you give us details of your work?  Many Blessings Stay encouraged.  No one can close a door God has opened.  Love, Skye

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)