Even with the Panda/Penguin slap I'm making $2 a day

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Muttface profile image80
    Muttfaceposted 10 years ago

Thought that might catch your eye...

Anyway, the truth is I am not making that. But somebody else probably is.

All, and I mean EVERY SINGLE HUB, has been kidnapped, translated into French and is available on this website: rank08 (dot) com

Go there and get your money back!

See this thread for more details: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115054

1. rose-the planner profile image62
      rose-the plannerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HOLY CRAP!  I saw all of my articles in French!  Is HubPages going to do anything about this because I don't think I will post anything else if the entire site s being ripped off.  This is unbelievable!!!!

1. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rose, the problem is that Hubpages can't file a copyright claim on behalf of our copyright -- it's a pain, but we have to file our own copyright claims following the steps I listed above. (I think Hubpages should file a claim on behalf of its copyright -- but that's mostly just the site logo and graphics, so that doesn't help us much).

If many of us submit copyright theft notices, we should be able to get the thief's site taken down. I suggest attacking on three fronts, to make absolutely sure.

(The domain registrar makes the site findable on the web via a URL rather than just a raw IP address. The webhost is the server that's actual hosting the files, which is the one we REALLY want to listen, because they have the power to delete the whole website. And getting it blocked from Google search results makes the site invisible to anyone using Google.)

Thanks for your input GreekGeek. You know what though, I decided to click on a few of my articles thinking that they were in French. It appears that only the intro is in French once you click on the article it is in English, in fact they copied the entire article, complete with comments and all,with links to our HubPages profiles.  At least they did not copy, paste and slap their own names on it, lol! What a headache!
          -Rose

2. skperdon profile image81
      skperdonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

looks like they just translated Hubpages to french.

3. sirama profile image91
      siramaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Keep a water mark for all your images stating "Stolen from Hubpages.com".

2. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

Oh my God, its in b....y french! the whole darn topic bit of hubs! now I have seen it all!

Muttfaceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nell,
      I have to give a give cheers to donnah75 for bringing this to our attention. It's funny to see your sweat and blood in French. My hubs are mainly about learning English, so it's funny to see them translated into another language.

1. Nell Rose profile image88
        Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean,  it would be hilarious if it wasn't so darn annoying!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Holy....crapamoley. That is so funny that I almost can't be angry that all of my stuff got strip mined by this choad!!!

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92

....notice that I said "almost"....

5. bat115 profile image78
    bat115posted 10 years ago

must have took a lot of effort to pull that off, WOW

6. FatFreddysCat profile image92

But seriously....how do we make this French A-hole bite the curb, digitally speaking?? I can't find any ownership info on the site itself so I wouldn't even know where to begin sending DMCA complaints.... but I really want this guy to die. Painfully. As soon as possible.

7. Muttface profile image80

To die, eh?
    I have a few snails hanging around the place...
    Maybe we could attach a treasure hunt puzzle clue to every snail and the last snail would be near... Chernobyl...

What do you think? Too drastic?

8. bat115 profile image78

I hope HP is looking into it on all our behalf.

9. Angie Martin profile image62
    Angie Martinposted 10 years ago

That's crazy! But like the other thread points out, they are easily found on whois:

Registrant:
    Charles Farris
    1609 Vandalia St
    Collinsville, IL 62234
    US

Domain name: RANK08.COM

Administrative Contact:
        Farris, Charles  email@msn.com
        1609 Vandalia St
        Collinsville, IL 62234
        US
        +1.6183431252
    Technical Contact:
        White, Eric  email@domain.com
        10 Corporate Dr., Suite 300
        Burlington, MA 01803
        US
        +1.8004033568    Fax: +1.7812726550

Registration Service Provider:
        Domain.com, email@domain-inc.net
        +1.8004033568
        This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
        DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: Domain.com
    Record last updated on 10-Jul-2013.
    Record expires on 10-Jul-2014.
    Record created on 10-Jul-2013.

Domain servers in listed order:
        CARL.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM   
        SARA.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

10. Angie Martin profile image62

My question is - how do I find out which ones are mine? They're in French! smile  Can't HubPages as a whole do something about it since it's pretty much all their content that has been stolen?

1. skperdon profile image81
      skperdonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google Translate does the translation.

11. NiaG profile image83
    NiaGposted 10 years ago

It's like looking at a bizarro world. So will this discussion be on there as well? But in French? Is Hubpages aware of this? Are they (Hubpages) gaining anything? I mean...it's the exact same site but in French. Weird.

Muttfaceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oui!
      But now I'm spent. I need to have a deep sleep after thinking about all those French words.

12. Muttface profile image80

Its easy Angie,
    Which category did you post your hubs to?
    For example: Based on a true story (sort of): part two

Look on the very top of your hub for the category.

Explore/Toutes Les Rubriques
    Entertainment and Media/ Le Divertissement et les Medias
    Movies and Reviews/ Des Films et des Critiques de Films
    Horror and Monster Films/ L'horreur et des Films de monstres

Scroll down and there you will find "Basé sur une histoire vraie (une sorte de): partie deux" otherwise known as "Based on a True Movie (Sort of) Part 2"

Or alternatively open 2 windows. One in English, the other in the spam site. Just go through the usual motions of finding the categories where your hubs are located until you come across your picture.

1. Angie Martin profile image62
      Angie Martinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I literally just found my first Hub on there and I'm so upset about this! I sent a DMCA immediate to tobekhf1@msn.com and support@rank08.com, per whois. The first email address bounced back, of course. The second went through, but that's no guarantee they will do anything or even read it. What if we just all started calling the phone number on whois? If he's going to steal from us...just saying smile

13. Angie Martin profile image62

One more question - is this a "real-time" or close to "real-time" rip off? I'm only asking because as I'm finding my hubs on here, I found one where last night a comment was posted and I responded - and both of those comments are on the French site already. There's no way they're translating that much info by hand that quickly.
    EDIT: I just found a Hub I posted a few hours ago, so they must be copying the info as it goes up on HubPages.

1. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http hmm/rank08.com/a /angiemartin/

Take out the spaces.   Anyone can find their profile in French by just replacing that last part with their user name.

14. bat115 profile image78
    1. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So there is literally no one on hubpages that hasn't been copied on this site.  It is obviously a sophisticated mechanism copying everything as we post it.  Since they are copying the ENTIRE hubpages site, is there a way to get the whole site involved in taking them down?  Including the H team?

2. Rob Winters profile image76
      Rob Wintersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Holey Moley - Just substituted my Username and Voila - My French Profile Page although the menu links on the righthand side don't appear to work.

15. Ella Quirk profile image83
    Ella Quirkposted 10 years ago

Vous devez plaisanter! Incredible! The audacity of it.

I see the French translation of my name is "Ella Caprice", which is actually quite nice.

16. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

This is tedious, but if several of us do this, I think we can get the thief's site taken down.

1) Report the copyright infringement to the DOMAIN REGISTRAR by following the instructions here:
    http://www.domain.com/legal/legal_copyrightclaims.bml
    (scroll down; it's got the email address of their legal department and the information they require to act). I did this wrong by phoning them directly; oops!

2) Report the copyright infringement to the WEBHOST (server where they uploaded the stolen files) using this form:
    https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form

3) Report the copyright infringement to Google Search to get it out of Google:
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … ?&rd=1

For #2 and #3, I suggest using this tool to get a list of urls of all the stolen articles and your original hubs. Step-by-step, here's how:

1) Find the url of your stolen profile. Search Google for...    site:rank 0 8 [dot]com  YourHubUserName
    2) Copy the URL of the purloined profile and paste it into this search engine simulator:
    http://www.feedthebot.com/tools/spider/index.php
    3) Scroll down to the list of links. Copy every link after  the one ending in ?filter=forums and before #mycontent
    4) Paste the list of stolen URLs into a spare text document. You'll need to add the domain name to the beginning of each URL -- just use the "Find" function of your text editor and do a quick global search/replace.
    5) Now you've got the list of all the stolen URLs. Add the URL of your stolen profile to the top of the list, and submit it to Cloudflare and Google as the "infringing" content.
    6) Repeat steps 2-3 for your REAL Hubpages profile, and submit that list to Google/Cloudflare as the "authorized" or "original" copy of the work. Again, add your real Hubpages profile URL to the top of the list.

17. jemuelO profile image89
    jemuelOposted 10 years ago

I've seen all of my hubs there...all translated in French. They also copied my profile page. It's like having the hubpages site in different language-HP design and format are totally copied. I wonder how they do that! I think all hubs and profiles are copied by that site.

18. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I came across the French version a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was actually HubPages translation. That is, until I found this forum! I also found in one other language when I was searching, but I cannot find it now. However, I did a search and came up with the following sites that are taking our articles.

The entire HP site is mimicked on this site. I clicked on one of my personal hubs on this page, and it stays on the site and does not direct to HP. This person is also gaining from his own advertisements on our work. When you go into the main part of the site, it looks legit, but I did discover this from googling. The site is http://www.sayerssj.com.

This is the main hub page with all our articles:
    http://sayersj.com/p/index.php?q=uggc%3 … %2Fnyy%2F1

This is my personal page when clicking from the main hub page on this site.
    http://sayersj.com/p/index.php?q=uggc%3 … ny-Zhfpyrf

Same thing with this site:

http://www.anywherespecial.com/proxy/su … NImPe=B6X!

Some other sites I have found using our hubs are as follows. I'm using my same article as above, but it seems many of your hubs are here as well.

http://www.cararticle.net/how-to-exerci … l-muscles/

Abby thanks for sharing this information with everyone..  I actually checked out anywherespecial.com that you mentioned.  I located one of my articles but when I clicked on it, it came up as 404 not found.  Also, I checked out the link to your article and although your picture is not up, I clicked on your name which leads back to Your HubPages profile.  I found the same thing last night when I clicked on one of my articles in the French site.  This is insane!  The fact that they are copying the entire HubPages site is unbelievable. It makes me wonder how we can effectively deal with people like this.  I have a feeling that for every 2 sites we take down, another 3 will pop up.  This is the Internet and our articles are available to everybody and no matter how diligent we are in policing our work, there is always going to be thieves without a conscience out there ripping people off.  Sorry, that's my rant for the day, lol.  Take care.  -Rose

1. Abby Campbell profile image74
        Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rose. It's funny with the anywherespecial.com site. I clicked on my article, and it does come up - not 404 page. But, I did notice that all of these sites have attached my name to all articles. I guess that's a positive for some.

I agree Abby, at the very least they are leaving our names up as the authors so people can at least link to our profiles and sites.  I wonder why they have even bothered to copy the site.  it's not like they are taking credit as most thieves do.  i don't know, it just seems very strange.  Take care!

19. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

Keep in mind that by linking to the sites directly, you are telling Google to crawl them and helping them to RANK BETTER.

This is especially a problem with the sayers proxy site. It's NOT copying our content, but by linking to it that way, you've just sent Googlebot to the proxy tool to view our content through the proxy -- a bit like forcing Google to view your page through an obscure web browser -- and now Google will cache and store the proxy's view of the page.

To repeat, a proxy is NOT a copy of a website. It is a tool for browsing the web which doesn't store the content viewed through it (or at least, like your own web browser, it will only store the data for a short time before flushing its cache). So I wouldn't worry too much about the sayers or anywherespecial proxies.

The rank08 site, on the other hand, really HAS taken all our content, so we need to be filing DMCA notices to get it shut down. We can do this!

1. Abby Campbell profile image74
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think about that when I posted. Ugh! The sayers and the anywherespecial sites are complete duplicates of HubPages as well... not just individual hubs.

20. Angie Martin profile image62

CloudFlare is doing nothing about the issue. They say that it isn't copyright infringement. They just see the site is in French and they think it's not the same.

I tried to call the number for Charles Farris, to whom the site is registered. The number has been disconnected.

I had much better luck with Domain, the hosting provider. They already had an open ticket about the issue. I told them I had emailed them a DMCA complaint and that literally hundreds of authors had their intellectual property stolen, and they seemed to take it a little more seriously than anyone else so far. They opened another ticket and bumped it up on the priority list.

Everyone should call Domain at 800.403.3568, talk to Technical Support and tell them that you have filed a DMCA complaint with them (only if it's true, of course) and let them know that you want to open a ticket to have this site removed, which is guilty of copyright infringement and theft of your intellectual property. Make sure to tell them that it is a mirror site that is stealing our works in real-time and translating it into French, so at first the site may look different. Let them know that hundreds and hundreds of people have had their works stolen. Maybe if they get a hundred calls today they will promptly take down the site.

21. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

This is hilarious! My references to Leanne Wood in one hub appear as "Leanne Bois" LOL, LOL, LOL!

To be honest, I am not in the least concerned. I doubt even French speakers will be particularly interested in reading anything that has been passed through the Google Translate mangle.

Anyway, I earn so little here, that I cannot be bothered wasting time on sending out DMCA notices. This month, I am not even going to reach $4. Were I to sink to $0/month, it would be no great loss.

I think HP are being a little disingenuous expecting us to do all the hard work. I'm sure that with the whole site being scraped all over the web, there are ways and means for them to tackle the matter. After all, I assume that web site design is also protected by copyright, and this too is being 100% copied by our French pilferer.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're right. The translator is just translating the English words (such as Wood, to 'Bois'). These sentences sound like garbage to French readers. The only views they're getting are from us.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't care either.  A few cents here and there makes no difference.  Google doesn't care which is original and non-original content, and all they do is slam me.  The more spammers the merrier.

In any case I have my name on all my pictures.  So there is some small element of publicity involved.  Maybe I'll get more visits indirectly from the copied content than the original.  Done caring.

22. FatFreddysCat profile image92

I write a lot of album reviews and yeah, I have to admit that it's kind of a hoot to see them translating the album titles (and occasionally the artists' names) into French.

KISS' "Creatures of the Night" became "Creatures De la Nuit."

The band Widowmaker became "le piege des profundeurs," and their album title "Blood and Bullets" became "le Sang et les Balles."

Dokken's "Broken Bones" album is now "des Os Casses."

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

....sooooo yeah, it's funny, but I still want to see this choad get an absolutely epic cyber-ass-kicking.

23. Shadow Jackson profile image64
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

I have 21 hubs and I made $0.47 yesterday alone! It's not that bad out there.

1. Shadow Jackson profile image64
      Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My bad..I actually made $0.14 yesterday.
      I think I'm actually making more money now than ever.
      Still haven't had a payout yet, but hey! I'm just getting started.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

well done

24. Benetwork profile image59
    Benetworkposted 10 years ago

Report it's to Google , it's will be deindex ,LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)