Video Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (35 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I am contemplating a video hub or two.  I say 'contemplating,' because it all depends on whether I can successfully learn the proper formatting, and upload process.  This digital editing is new to me, and I struggle with it.  I have only the free version of Windows Movie Maker that came on my computer, and that's all I can afford. 
    So far, I have been 100% UNsuccessful in creating a DVD that would play on any machine other than my own computer, where it was created, as I don't understand what format to select for the recording. 
    I learned to edit in VHS tape format, with two machines, A roll and B roll footage, and a blank tape onto which was recorded the chosen footage combined from the other tapes.  It was all NTSC, for the USA, anyhow, and it was pretty much automatic for machines used in this country.
    ANYhow--my real question is:

Is a video hub template strictly video, or is there text accompanying the video?  And, what format to I choose to save the edited piece for upload to Hub Pages?  (I have an article written, but I'm thinking it would benefit from being more of a video tutorial.)
    I'm not sure what format my video camera uses for its protocol  (it's an older digital that uses Hi-8 tapes and uploads via a 'firewire'). My still camera, (a Nikon Coolpix) has some short video capability, and that comes into the computer in a format called "avi"

I don't know anything about any of that. 
    Who is tech-savvy enough to explain what I need to know to a non-techie person??
    Thank you....

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The difference between a video Hub and a "regular" one is that the video capsule is utterly locked into the very first slot and can neither be moved nor deleted.  They still require the full compliment of diverse, quality content as any other a Hub as well.

Also, once you upload video direct to HubPages, you can't remove it, even if you aren't using it in a Hub.  And those Hubs auto-play the video, which was proven back in the 1990s to annoy and drive away readers.

I don't recommend using the video Hub template at all.

DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is good to know, Relache. Thanks very much.  I will use another means, then.
        Yes, I do hate videos that auto-play.  Usually, I want to read first, then watch the video as a supplement.
        Also, in other venues, such as FaceBook, auto-play videos cause me to miss the beginning, as I was not necessarily ready to click play and watch the very second I clicked the link, so I have to stop it and 'rewind' and start over.

2. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest that you make your movie and save it on your computer and then put it on YouTube.  This way you will get views from YouTube and HubPages.    There are many videos on YouTube which will teach you how to make a simple video in Windows. I looked for you this morning.  You can then edit it and save the video to your computer so that you can upload it to youTube.  I have uploaded a couple of videos to HubPages but find that they are not very satisfactory from the point of view that once done, you cannot edit them and they are there for ever, unless you delete the Hub. 
      I use ProShow Gold to create my videos and then put them onto YouTube but Windows should work perfectly well.  I cannot post a link to the youTube tutorial which I watched this morning which will show you on YouTube how to make a Video but there are several there which you can watch which will teach you how to edit your Windows Video to make it playable on YouTube.   It may be that the difficulty you are having with your videos, not playing on another computer,  is only to do with the manner in which you are saving it or rendering it at the end, there are a list of options available to you - I think you could just save it to be played on broadband and this would be perfectly acceptable.  In the more modern versions, you can upload directly to youTube from you Windows program.  You will need to create your own channel on YouTube before you do this.  avi is just a video format.
      Another benefit of doing this would be that you get views from youTube and get paid there as well.  You can also change or make a new video to put onto you Hub at a later date if you don't like the first one you make.

I do have a You Tube account, but it is not linked to Ad Sense, so I doubt it even gets any views, let alone makes money.  I think I have only 1 video up,and its a short of the cats...(I think--did it a couple of years or more back; I don't really remember.)
        However, I had trouble with You Tube recognizing (the next time, when I wanted to upload another movie), that it had been edited.  It wanted to insist that it was too long (20 minutes), and in fact, I had edited it down to a final play time of just under 7 minutes!  But YouTube would not see that, only the original length. 
        At that point, I went over to Vimeo, and that is where I managed to successfully upload the video, without making any changes from what I was trying to upload to BooHoo Tube!   (You'll see it in my hub about how to make gumdrops).
        Thanks for your detailed reply.  I'll poke around and see what tutorials I can find on You Tube.

1. sallybea profile image97

I still think like most of the other Hub writers here that you should try to go the youTube route - you can even add the video to youTube via the windows 8 page. You will not be happy with the HubPages set up - not being able to edit or alter your Video Hub is a real disadvantage.

Windows 8??  I don't have Win 8.  My computer runs on XP Pro as its OS

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you post more videos on Youtube, they will probably offer you the chance to connect your Adsense account.

Ok--thanks, Marisa.
            Perhaps learning the ins and outs of digital video editing and posting is my project for 2014.

3. pctechgo profile image73
      pctechgoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Video file types that youtube accepts include AVI, MOV, MPG, and WMV (WMV is Windows Movie Maker's file type).YouTube recommends the video format be MPEG4 at a resolution of 640x480 . Higher resolutions are accepted for uploading but they are scaled down to 480x360 - that is the size of the default size of the youtube player.

2. Martin Heeremans profile image61
    Martin Heeremansposted 10 years ago

I is very simple to create a video on your computer.
    Open start menu, and search windows live movie maker.
    This is the easiest program to use and its built into windows.
    Hope that helps!

3. Martin Heeremans profile image61

BTW when you save the movie, to make it playable on all devices, don't save the project, click save movie. You are then offered a list of definition formats all of which will play on anything.

Oh, "save movie," not project!  Thanks very much for that tip!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

@ Martin Heeremans:
      So--I had one issue that was rather annoying--I created a short video (length 00:01:25), but it took 8 minutes to upload. 
      Was this because I chose the option, "save to my computer" instead of "save for web" ???
      (It was unclear whether posting it directly the web would save a copy on my computer or not, and I'd be left with only the raw file.)
      Also, when I tried to select "save for web," it wanted me to sign up for one of two video hosting services, neither of which was You Tube or even Vimeo.  There were oddball names I'd never heard of. 
      And just now, I tried to re-open that, and find the names, and it could not open the file.  "Avi is not a valid Windows Movie Maker file type. To open project, select "import into collections."  "
      Well, phooey!  Once I did that, it would not play, even when dragged to the timeline.  Neither would it open the 'save movie' menu option; in fact, the whole program locked up!
      (This is the 2007 v 5.1 edition of WMM)

4. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I have several video hubs which I regret creating for the same reasons Relache stated. What I have been doing is uploading my videos to YouTube then using the video capsule to link it back here.

I hate the fact that I can't change the format of the hub after creating it. I can't delete the videos or anything. It's very restrictive.

5. ChicagoPhotos profile image68
    ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years ago

Great minds think alike!
    I am just putting the finishing touches on a video for photographers about shooting video.  It is not the technical side, but I had to start somewhere.  should be up in the next few hours or so.

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

MsLizzy, I wish I could answer your question, but I don't know much about you equipment. I can record with my Olympus camera and the software to save it to my computer came with the camera, then I just uploaded it to HubPages. 
    I know that DVDs must be finalized or they will not play on units other than the one they were created on.
    Video Hub:  I am not sure what you mean by a Video Hub.  I only know that when creating a hub and you insert a capsule it can be a Text, Photo, Video, etc..etc...
    So it would be my guess that you would create a Text Hub with many video capsules.

Thank you MsLizzy for your answer to my question about advertizing on poems.
    Appreciate you.

7. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

MsLizzy, I wish I could answer your question, but I don't know much about you equipment. I can record with my Olympus camera and the software to save it to my computer came with the camera, then I just uploaded it to HubPages. 
    I know that DVDs must be finalized or they will not play on units other than the one they were created on.
    Video Hub:  I am not sure what you mean by a Video Hub.  I only know that when creating a hub and you insert a capsule it can be a Text, Photo, Video, etc..etc...
    So it would be my guess that you would create a Text Hub with many video capsules.

Thank you MsLizzy for your answer to my question about advertizing on poems.
    Appreciate you.

8. wrenchBiscuit profile image67
    wrenchBiscuitposted 10 years ago

Windows Movie Maker should suit most of your needs,although there are free video editors that you may also find useful: Debugmode Wax / Avidemux / VirtualDub and Lightworks. All are useful ,but Lightworks is the cadillac.Lightworks is a full featured open-source editor comparable to Sony Vegas and other more expensive commercial video editors.The only down side to Lightworks is that in order to run properly, you'll need at least 2GB of ram.But if you have a newer computer that won't be an issue.All editors have a learning curve attached but if you plan on doing videos on a regular basis,it is well worth the effort.

The Mp4 format seems to deliver the best quality with a relatively small footprint.The majority of my Youtube videos were uploaded as follows using Sony Vegas 7: 

• Frame Size : W 1280x H 720
    • Frame Rate: 29.97
    • Bit Rate: Variable Bit Rate/ Max 4,000,000 /Min 768,000

Thanks, wrenchBiscuit!  That is good to know.  I know I was unable to read the avi format from my Nikon Coolpix in Windows Movie Maker--it said something along the lines of incompatible format.  So, I don't use the video portion of that camera anymore.
      Now, If I can still buy Hi-8 tapes for my Sony video camera, I'll be good; otherwise, I'm toast, as you can't buy VHS tapes anymore, and in any event, there's no way to upload them and convert them to digital format without very expensive high-end commercial equipment.

You can buy the Hi-8 tapes on e-Bay.

Good to know!  Thank you, sallybea!

9. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

MsLizzy, there is a way to convert you VHS tapes to DVDs. I have a DVDirect and I transfer my VHS tapes to DVD, but I have not seen them sold in the stores, after my husband bought mine from Best Buy.  I think that Walgreens still sells Hi-8 tapes, I am not 100% sure, but we bought a couple within the last year.

10. Shyron E Shenko profile image69

MsLizzy, there is a way to convert you VHS tapes to DVDs. I have a DVDirect and I transfer my VHS tapes to DVD, but I have not seen them sold in the stores, after my husband bought mine from Best Buy.  I think that Walgreens still sells Hi-8 tapes, I am not 100% sure, but we bought a couple within the last year.

11. Martin Heeremans profile image61

No problems. Any questions involving how use a p.c or html scripting, fire em at me.

12. ChicagoPhotos profile image68
    ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years ago

DZY,
    If you have an AVI file and want to quickly convert it ( or the other way around)  look up http://handbrake.fr   ( not .com)  It can take you AVI's and crush them down to Mp4.  You can then take it and edit it in Movie maker.  Perfect for your coolpix camera.

<soapbox>
    I know apple has its problems, but after reading the posts above, I really don't  miss PCs for editing...wow. 
    </end>

Hope this helps,

Thanks very much for that resource, ChicagoPhotos!
      Much appreciated.

13. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

OK, here is my first, very primitive effort.  It is not good at all, nowhere near the standards I had reached when I had my cable-access TV show using VHS tapes!  But it was just for the experience of getting a digital edit finished, and uploaded.

http:// youtu.be/nD1k1TmN2D0

(remove space after the // for the link to work)

I was not terribly amused that it took 8 minutes to upload a video of only about a minute and a half!

Also, my version of Windows Movie Maker is 5.1, from 2007, so maybe that caused me some issues?

Very cute, amazing how many people have so many views from similar youTube movies - this might be the way way to riches!

2. ChicagoPhotos profile image68
      ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about the upload times. it is a universal problem unless you have  a very fast cable connection.  Just work it into your routine. try to upload you video when you are done working on the computer for the day, or before you go to bed.  I rarely have a problem doing it that way.  the next day you will have the email with the uploaded link.

14. Martin Heeremans profile image61

@dzymslizzy the time it takes to upload can depend on several factors - is it high definition (uses more space) your internet upload speed could have been slow because of a bad connection. The main reason though is that youtube would have scanned through your video for copyright reasons and that may take a minute or two to evaluate.

As your running xp still you would no longer be receiving updates from microsoft which may be why its so glitchy.

If you are experiencing problems with the program, un install it and re download the latest version from the windows website.
    I don't recommend using the upload programs that are listed in the options.

When you want to put a video into the program, have the folder with your video that you want to copy open. Open up windows live movie maker, drag your content into the  box.

Ok, thanks very much for your detailed explanation.
      I'm stuck with XP (I like it, actually), because we're on a very tight fixed income, and cannot afford to buy the newest OS..(That's .bad enough, but on top of everything, we have to try and figure out where we're going to get nearly $2K for a furnace repair!)

So--instead of save for web--which caused me the problem with the weird hosting options...I can just save to my computer, and drag/drop it to YouTube, apparently...that's actually the version I did upload, (referenced just above your reply).
      Thanks very much once again.

15. Martin Heeremans profile image61

@DzyMsLizzy
    I was referring to the upload icons (youtube etc..) in windows live movie maker.

Another question, do you have an up to date antivirus installed? I'm asking as if it is an outdated program, it is very easily hacked. But more likely it's just the bugs that you haven't got the update for. If you went to windows.com you can download the latest updates. It doesn't cost a thing.

If you don't have an antivirus, there are tonnes of free legitimate programs available.

Avast! is good but is an on demand scanner only until you pay for it.

Windows offers a free service called microsoft security essentials, that, if you only use I.E (internet explorer) than it has the important features you would pay for (real-time scanning, anti-phishing, etc..).

Yes, we have a 3-year subscription to Webroot anti-virus; it seems to be a very good program.  It blocks threats from coming in, and very few get by.  I run the virus scanner as an automatic task.

16. Martin Heeremans profile image61

LOL, I meant microsoft.com not windows.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)