How do I improve my Hubber Score?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (46 posts)
  1. SpaceShanty profile image93
    SpaceShantyposted 10 years ago

I have noticed it is hovering just below 85 recently.  I have a few Hubs with a score of around 71, could this be the reason?

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your profile score is a combination of several factors including your hub average. If you can increase your hub scores, then your average will go up and your profile score may go up.

Other factors include increased traffic, your participation on the site, feedback from readers and lack of penalty for violations.

This is what I have done to increase my score on occasion - it may or may not work for you.

1) Answer two questions per day
      2) Forum participation - NOT in excess
      3) Hub hob for about ten minutes or for about five hubs. This is different from your regular reading and commenting. Hub hopping goes towards your participation accolades.
      4) Edit at least two to three hubs per week by adding more content, updating photos, videos, polls, checking links, checking keywords and so forth.

Other than that you can remove low performance hubs because these weigh on your average.

SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi,  Thanks for your reply, in responce to your replys.

1 & 2 I have seen and heard of Hubbers with a score of almost 100 who never visit the forums.
        3 I used to hop Hubs but didn't think it had an impact on my Hubber score.
        4 I always thought that Hubs were more like articles, not blogs and should not be updated regulary.

I will still put your sugestions in to practise and see if my score improves.  Thank you

#4 That is totally not so. Hubs are articles but like every website, the big G (Google) likes fresh content. Each time you update your articles, shows the big G that you are updating your website. Adding new or fresh info will also help boost traffic.

#3, hub hopping helps to make the site better by you flagging or rating articles. If it impacts the site, it impacts you.

#1&2, yes there are those with scores that high who never venture here but those people may have high averages, high traffic or they consistently participate elsewhere on the site.

Thanks again for your input.

I have been looking through some of your hubs and I must say some of them need a little tweaking. For example, some titles are way too long and you have repeated words in some titles.

"Shipping Containers Turned Into Homes For The Homeless. Old Sea Containers Made Into Houses for Brighton Homeless" has 97 characters without spaces and 113 characters with spaces. Titles should be 65 characters or less with spaces. You need to compact this title to reflect what you are trying to say. Example - "Shipping and Old Sea Containers Made Into Houses For Brighton Homeless"

Look Through your titles and eliminate repeated words. Another observation is the use of & (the ampersand) instead of the word and. For titles is recommended you use the word instead of the symbol.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would just add, though, that Google looks at your sub-domain as a whole when assessing whether you have "fresh content".  Publishing a new Hub works just as well as, or better than, updating old ones.  Just think of news sites - Huffington Post never updates its old news stories, it just publishes new ones.   

I find tinkering with old Hubs can be more time-consuming than writing something new - and there's always the chance that you'll hit on a good subject for a new Hub, which will do exceptionally well.  So I always recommend people not to worry about older Hubs unless they stop being Featured.

2. donotfear profile image83
          donotfearposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You might want to try using spell-check on all your hubs, too.
          smile

I do spell check all my Hubs.  Is this just a suggestion or did you spot a spelling mistake in one of my Hubs?

2. Traci Ruffner profile image61
        Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering this myself.  Great advice! smile

3. jaylove41 profile image60
        jaylove41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get it. I definitely need to post more and respond to others more often.

4. YourRank profile image58
        YourRankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks @Cardisa for a detailed info regarding "improving hub score". As I am a new user so, I must follow your tips for boosting my personal hub score.

2. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

It appears that the main factors that affect the overall hubber score are to do with your individual hub scores and your traffic. These seem to impact the score the most.

If you want a higher score edit your lower scoring hubs to add more images, text, attribute images, etc... That will increase their scores and your overall score. But just remember that adding 1 or 2 points to a single hub if you have 100 is not going to make a big difference to your average score...

As to getting more traffic; well that is a subject that everyone wants the answers to........

All my Hubs tick all the boxes in the top right hand corner, one is over 8000 words, very original but still has a score of just 71.

I always attribute photos correctly if they are not mine.

1. susi10 profile image96
          susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Which hub is it? I might be able to point out where you can improve if there is any needed (I doubt).

Am I allowed to post links to my Hubs here?

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hubber Score is a great mystery, with many hidden penalties that can bring you down despite having a high average hubscore:
      => Trying to make friends too quickly - too many 'follow' requests
      => Adding an unknown number of hubs too quickly (HP spam test) despite QAP scores. In the past HP,  has advised adding quality posts from other sources slowly - one per day to avoid this.
      => Editing old posts too quickly (Spam penalty) as above
      => Selfish linking
      => Inactivity in the forums
      + There are rogue random drops in hubber score that HP is aware of , but does nothing about.

Extracted Quote from the Learning Center.

"My Hubber Score just went down... what do I do????
      ......your personal Hubber Score will go up and down..... ignore the score...... because it's nothing that you can particularly control on a day-to-day basis........"    WOW

But if your hubber score drops below 85 all your links will be made 'nofollow' and you will lose the link juice from interlinking of relevant hubs and authority.

1. SMD2012 profile image92
        SMD2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this list. I just dropped by the forum in the midst of editing some of my old hubs, and now I'm wondering if I should stop doing that for fear of seeing my Hubscore drop. Do you have any thoughts on what HP would consider as "too many" when it comes to editing multiple hubs in one sitting?

1. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No Idea. Ask HP

Paul edited 52 hubs to try to improve them and his hubber score fell from 95 to 84  see: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119418

To me this is nonsense - why penalise someone for trying to make their hubs better!!

3. WriterJanis profile image93
    WriterJanisposted 10 years ago

I appreciate the advice being given here.

4. Garima27 profile image60
    Garima27posted 10 years ago

share an informative hub with good Titles and photos.You can also build a opinion poll to give your hub more attractive and weighy. score will be improved.

I always use a polls, pictures and good titles, I tick all the boxes but still some have low scores.

1. WriterJanis profile image93
        WriterJanisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Space Shanty,
        I have three hubs up so far with the latest one published last night. That one has a score of 79. My other two are 82 and 94. With each of these, I also got all of the ticks in the upper right hand corner. Now, I haven't been very active on here due to the holidays, but now that the kids are back in school I'm going to participate more and see if my scores improve.

5. William15 profile image89
    William15posted 10 years ago

I think it's important to remember that real people are reading your hubs. Little tweaks make some difference, think about the metrics used when YOU hop hubs. Tiny tweaks don't make big changes to how a real person views your substance, organization and grammar and mechanics. Try to make changes that influence those categories.

1. ologsinquito profile image82
      ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the detailed explanations Cardisa.

1. William15 profile image89
        William15posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha, okay smile

6. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

I have a Hubber score of 95 right now and I have maintained an over 90 score for the past few months. I never took it that seriously, it isn't that important. Here are some tips for improving it:
    1. Participate in the forums now and again.
    2. Comment on others hubs, not a lot but if you genuinely liked an article then leave a comment.
    3. Get your traffic up and write a few more hubs (which in the long term will get you more traffic >>> therefore improving your hubber score).

I hope that might help, I am sure it will pick up soon. I wouldn't take it too seriously, it doesn't matter that much.

Thanks for the tips.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

My hubber score has dropped below 90 again; am looking for my teddy bear as we speak.

What perturbs me is I have a hub with 610,040 views, 900 comments, 7K FB likes, etc. that some mturk just recently piddled on and gave it a hub score of 60. That alone is probably what dropped my hubber score to below 90.

What with all the money that hub earned HubPages, it should be given an honorary and permanent score of 100.

If my hubber score continues to drop to the point where my subdomain .gov link juice is threatened, major ranting will commence.

Most people say traffic is a major factor when it comes to Hub score but there must be more to it if it has 610k views!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That particular hub's glory days are gone; though it does continue to get high, single-digit, daily traffic. Any more than that and I wouldn't be blabbing about it. big_smile And besides, the thing's already been stolen over a 100 times, so another 100 won't hurt. lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think you may be misunderstanding the 'no follow' rule. 

The 'no follow' rule just means that any links in your Hubs will be marked 'no follow'.  It doesn't affect any links to your Hubs.  If you're not trying to promote your own blog or website, the 'no follow' rule doesn't need to concern you one iota.

No, I didn't misunderstand it. And you are wrong. For HP to tell Google that the .gov links in my hubs should not be used to help evaluate the value of those hubs is not a good thing.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It still sounds to me like you have.  'No follow' is neutral or helps the rank of your hub (sites with many outgoing 'follow' links tend to lose rank).  It only detracts from the rank of the site you are linking to.

An example...

You have two identical hubs, except one of them has included 3 relevant, do-follow, high-class .gov links o provide the reader additional information.

Which hub do you think Google will rank higher?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
              psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If the text is identical, they will rank the same whether the outgoing links are 'follow' or 'no follow'.

I disagree. Here's why...

"Google suggests using the NoFollow tag for untrusted content and paid links...." from, http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/2010/0 … -dofollow/

In other words, if my hubber score drops below 85, HP will start telling Google that my subdomain engages in the practice of linking to crap.

And that would make me cry...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Wrong - that quote is only part of the story.   You are also advised to 'no follow' links where there MIGHT be the occasional undesirable link, e.g. links in forums or comments.  HubPages 'no follows' the whole Q&A section and the forums.

It's also recommended to 'no follow' some links within your own site, e.g. to archives which might result in Google's robots seeing duplicate content when it isn't. 

http://searchengineland.com/infographic … tag-172157

Google actually penalises websites if most of the links pointing TO it are 'do follow' - Google sees 'no follow' links as a sign that the site has earned those links naturally, rather than artificially creating them. 

http://www.webpagemistakes.ca/nofollow/

Your true statement does not contradict my true statement.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It isn't a matter of disagreement unless Google is utterly lying about pagerank and the factors that contribute to it.

They say to use "follow" links on trusted sites because it gives those good/trusted sites an accurate high pagerank.  This is for the good of Google, not the person making the link.

I agree that Google doesn't outright lie.

However, virtually all corporations (including Google) "lie by omission". As in, if you were Google, would you "secretly" prefer a website/subdomain with all do-follow links or a website/subdomain with all no-follow links?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)