What Does This Mean? (BIBLE related I think)

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Kain 360 profile image92
    Kain 360posted 10 years ago

I was watching a horror movie and it kept freezing at 49:12. The man in movie mentioned something about ghosts right when it freezed. I am someone extremely interested in metaphysics, the occult etc.. And last year, I found out my numerology and astrological chart said this everywhere -- that I liked metaphysics etc. I don't know why I am so interested in metaphysics, spirituality etc. but I am. Ever since I was a kid, really. I used to get up as a 2 year old out of my bed when I heard "tales from the crypt" was on TV. Anyway I am digressing a bit.

I looked  up 49:12 and found this phrase that is quoted slightly different sometimes. It's from Genesis I believe.

His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.

What does this phrase mean? 49:12 = 61 = 7 which is my numerology number which I thought was odd.

1. Chris Remmie profile image68
      Chris Remmieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

First, colors have different meanings within different cultures and periods of time. So, to say that red represents evil is...well, wrong. Second, the purpose of the Bible is to point to God and His glory and not to be read like a tarot card or anything like that. Every word has the purpose of telling God's story of redemptive history in which it all points to Jesus Christ and how He is bringing the world back to Himself in glory. However, I will entertain your question by telling you the meaning of the passage. The context here is that Jacob is blessing his sons before his death. This verse is poetically explaining the abundance of blessings Judah will have in his land. To be more specific, his land will be blessed with an unimaginable amount of grape vines, cattle, etc.
      Lastly, I invite you to read my recent hub (my first, actually with more on the way) because I think it might provide answers to life's most asked questions. Thanks for reading, and I hope you click and read. smile
      http://chrisremmie.hubpages.com/hub/The … efs-Matter

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

It means that the movie was broken.

Kain 360posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you know what that means?

1. galleryofgrace profile image72
        galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can only interpret that by reading it with the verses that come before and after it. You cannot pull verses out and read them alone.

Well that is rather unfortunate. hmm

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It sounds to me as if he/she is someone evil from that but I do not know what galleryofgrace mentioned about the before and after verses.

I was sort of coming to the same conclusion, but mainly due to the first part of the sentence. Red is sometimes associated with evil or something bad, but it does not have to be considering one's perspective.

The second part does not really make sense to me.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Evil has red (fiery) eyes and clean (white), (evil) grins. That is why I said that right away.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

In simple terms, it may mean that should stop watching that film -- maybe all horror films.

3. profile image0
        Stephen88posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kain, galleryofgrace is right that you have to read in context. In this case, in chapter 49 of Genesis, Jacob is blessing his 12 sons before he dies. In 49:8-12, Jacob begins blessing Judah, but then it turns into a prophesy about Jesus, who comes through the tribe of Judah.
        I wasn't sure about this exact verse myself. After a quick research, I found a website called www.christnotes.org. Here is the link: http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.p … 1&c=49
        If the link doesn't work, if you go to this website, click on Commentary, then click on Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary, then click on Genesis, then chapter 49 and that page can help you.

1. profile image0
          Stephen88posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I personally stay away from occultic things but for whatever reason your movie stops at the 49:12 mark, that is amazing because that verse in the Bible basically signifies that Jesus is the only thing that can nourish and satisfy a person's soul; Jesus is the only thing that provides true life in a person. I hope this helps.

While I may not believe in the bible 100%, I am highly interested in the stories associated with it. And as I said, I am very interested in metaphysics -- things like ghosts, astrology, time travel, space, spirituality etc..

When it stopped at 49:12 a man said "Do you believe in ghosts," I think it was a priest or something.. And as I said 49:12 is reduced to 7 which is my numerology number.

I suppose I consider myself an agnostic theist (if that's the proper term). I tend to believe in things, but not 100% because of lack of knowledge, but still have a certain amount of faith.

I am not one to critizie other peoples relgions like some do. Some people tend to be biased towards science or faith. I say combine them. And some people are biased to certain religions.

My family is protestant.

2. Kain 360 profile image92

BTW thanks for that link and reply.

4. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you know what that means?

Yes, to understand this contextually the context must be considered. A commentary or a comparison of several offers help with that. A peek shares they group that verse as Genesis 49:8-12 for most commentary explanations.

Also, to understand it historically as an independent verse one must seek out the original content. You are reading how the original content has been interpreted. The book of Genesis is in the Torah and is written in Hebrew. If one searches one may discover the various meanings of the original Hebrew text (wordage) used and have choices for meaning. Then it is interpreted by you.

Linguistics is the next step. How language was used in the era when that verse was written. That offers understanding of language usage contextually with social structure, governmental structure, and culture. Consider those who wrote the Torah were the learned and the common people were not. They only heard the stories or verse. They therefore relate to the content within those social and cultural contexts relevant to their own life - family, friends, immediate culture and society positioning.

The verse as you shared it is seen in the Jubilee and the King James Version of the Hebrew interpretation. There are many versions some in agreement and others not textually. For instance the New International Version shares this for that verse you are interested in:

"His eyes will be darker than wine, his teeth whiter than milk."
        as compared to the one you quoted saying . . .
        "His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk."

Do you see difference with meaning? It is apparent one offers a contrast and compare and one is more literal. One shares if 'Red' is chosen as the correct translation that it is 'darker' than 'red' wine. A difference occurs. The same with 'white'.

Next, language must be considered. Darker offers distinction to common. It offers difference. Simple enough. The subject being discussed is different and is distinct as comparative to common and accepted concept or allowable 'truths' for 'Red' using wine as a descriptor and white for milk.

Now, for me of least, IMHO, that is all that stand alone verse offers me with meaning. It has  no broad stroke of the brush until that specific content is inclusive with more content or contextually. That is when the suggested grouping by most commentaries offer to read it as verses 49:8-12 for discovery of meaning for the verse with understanding. Then, more understanding comes from expanding to the grouped verses with before and after toward finite or infinite relationships with more content and context, i.e. preceding grouped verses, proceeding grouped verses, chapters, and etc.

I hope this helps and does not make it difficult. Thank you for allowing me to share the little I know compared to Bible Scholars . . . thus expository and commentary helps.

3. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

The passage of Scripture was Jacob talking to his sons. He was prophesying their future based on their actions of the present.That particular verse is taken out of context by you. The entire scripture should be read for full understanding.

"“ 8Judah,your brothers will praise you;
        your hand will be on the neck of your enemies;
        your father’s sons will bow down to you.
    9 You are a lion’s cub, Judah;
        you return from the prey, my son.
    Like a lion he crouches and lies down,
        like a lioness—who dares to rouse him?
    10 The scepter will not depart from Judah,
        nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,[c]
    until he to whom it belongs[d] shall come
        and the obedience of the nations shall be his.
    11 He will tether his donkey to a vine,
        his colt to the choicest branch;
    he will wash his garments in wine,
        his robes in the blood of grapes.
    12 His eyes will be darker than wine,
        his teeth whiter than milk."

Based on the scripture Jacob was telling Judah how he will be a ruler.  As you noticed he said his brothers will praise him and his enemies will succumb to him. The scepter is the staff that a ruler carries and it shall not depart. The section where you took the text from speak of the vineyards which Judah shall have , in other words he will become rich with land and produce because he will be a great ruler.

The scripture has no bearing on your movie. These are scriptures that are history being told. Always read the entire thing and not just one verse, or you will get confused.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)