Bible Study - Matthew 5:39-48

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. vector7 profile image59
    vector7posted 12 years ago

Any Christians who would like to engage in discussion on understanding our Lords words better please join in!

If you aren't a Christian welcome! We're glad to see you.

If anyone strays from the purpose of understanding the Word to questioning it's Truth, please ignore the post as it is irrelevant to the OP.

The purpose and given objective here in this thread is to understand the teachings of Jesus Christ.

==================================

A few questions to begin:

In verse 39 does Jesus mean even if the person is harming another person, such as a child, or mother, or brother?

In verse 42, are we to give everything we own away if we are asked?

If not, what does this imply?

If so, do you believe this is tempting God by expecting Him to provide while others are being 'responsible' and saving for the future and we are giving everything away at a simple request?

In verse 44, to what extent do we bless people who are being ugly, hateful, evil, etc.? If it makes them angry to bless them, should we stop or continue despite their objections to it?

Is verse 46 an answer to people's questions regarding whether God is fair? Does Jesus' statement imply that God is indeed fair and just to all?

I'll leave the last three verses open for free questions and discussion.

======================================

If you have understanding in God's Word through His Holy Spirit, by all means, please share!

smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

39: No he is talking about a situation where oneself is being assaulted, not another person. The point is to show that you need not retaliate.

42: No this is about not being miserly, but to help those in need. It's not about giving everything away, but giving that which we have to someone who is desperate. If I have two coats and my neighbour is freezing i must give him one.

44: No. It's about not retaliating which just escalates the problem. You see this all the time in this forum; tit for tat, each one trying to have the last say. By blessing those that persecute, you stop the quarrelling.

46: this implies that God does not just love those who love him. He loves everyone and does good to all, and thereby sets the example. Thus eternal torment in hell or annihilation for unbelievers is directly contradicted by verses 43-48.

vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, Jesus' analogy doesn't refer to Hell directly, so lets leave that for another discussion, and agree on disagreeing. However much I like to stir bees, I'd rather not turn this into conflict but a Christian discussion with common love for God.

So back to the scripture.

Verse 44, I like how you alluded to those who are 'peacemakers' and believe you hit the nail on the head perfectly.

Quick question. If you only have one coat and noticed your neighbor freezing, do you give it to him in the name of Jesus? Is that a worthy sacrifice?

smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apologies, i do tend to get on my soap box about hell, etc. smile

I wouldn't think I was giving my coat in the name of Jesus, more like just giving him the coat because it would be the right thing to do at the time.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Verse 39, I believe, means two things---we're not to react without first thinking and reasoning, and we're not to try to exact personal vengeance upon those who hurt us.  Those people may indeed deserve "an eye for an eye", but we are to show some semblance of mercy and understanding in situations where that's possible.   No, I don't think it means we shouldn't protect our children and others.  Nor even ourselves! It just means to couple mercy with rational response.

42--Means submit to authority, perhaps?  Plus, to "go the extra mile" since it's our duty to our fellow man in need.

44---Love them with the Love of God.  We may not even like them, but we're commanded to Love them with agape Love, with their eternal souls in mind.

46--Again, with the Love of God, we are to Love all people, even our enemies.  Common sense tells us, though, that we don't have to be their doormats simply for the sake of their ego; if they're receptive to Love at some point, then the plan of God will come to fruition in their lives as well as our own.

I think verse 45 states the human condition.  It's not about God being "fair" (even though He is by judging our actions in accordance with the state of our hearts);  it's just that we're all human and subject to both the good in life and the hardness of life; we should try to relate to everyone in that manner if possible, knowing they're subject to temptations just as we are, and try to show them the one thing that can change our hearts----the Love of God.

vector7, these are great points of discussion, and I'm also curious to see how others respond!   Cool thread.

Thx Brenda.. God's idea.. wink lol

Great statement - "...with their eternal souls in mind."

2 Timothy 2:3-4 comes to mind, to remember that the goal is the eternal salvation of all through Christ.

Verse 45, you don't see fair in it? But.. but... lol

In coupling 45 with the next two, 46 and 47, I just see it as saying God loves all and treats us equally well with love. And that in like manner we should do as our Father does, verse 48, and learn from Him. I think we are somewhat in agreement, but I believe [personally that is] that Jesus' also means He doesn't give one an opportunity that He doesn't give another, with regard to the fact if we do good God honors us in it. Genesis 4:7 "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. ..."

So I think we are in the same boat, just on opposite ends.. lol

smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Put the verses up so we know what you're talking about.

3. vector7 profile image59
    vector7posted 12 years ago

For anyone who doesn't have a Bible I will post in the OP from now on:

http://bibleresources.bible.com/bible_kjv.php

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see you caught a forum frog on your first cast!

lol

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not a point of having a Bible, they are more readily available than condoms. You need to post the verses so we know to what you're referring.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol
        ever heard of internet?

4. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

In verse 39 does Jesus mean even if the person is harming another person, such as a child, or mother, or brother?
    Matthew 5:39   But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
      1) resist = continue... often actions against cause the action to continue. We should not cause evil to continue, but in all ways, according to the situation and what is necessary to deflate it, we must stop evils intent, even if that means to accept the occasional...
      2) smite = slap... here we are made aware that the person is not punching but slapping with the open palm. G4474; to slap with the palm of the hand. G5180 is the word which has much aggression to it, so this 4474 word is very explicit here in its context, but of course who slaps today? There is a big difference between someone who is trying to kill you and someone who in jewish society is physically rebuking you by slapping you. People today just punch and that would necessitate protectionist maneuvering on the christians part, but to be slapped one could easily turn the other cheek.
    The next verses of course mention also not allowing evil to continue.

In verse 42, are we to give everything we own away if we are asked?
    Matthew 5:42   Give to him that asks thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
        Notice that we have asks and borrows, two different words. Asks is used in the more desperate sense of demand something. There is more needfulness applied to one who asks than one who borrows, in this context - although i am sure we could think of scenarios to the opposite, i suggest we keep the saying appropriate to this context.
        So one who asks is perhaps driven by a need to have therefore, if it is in your power to fulfill, do so. The assessing of ones power to fulfill can only be arrived at by the individual, and to him that would borrow = loan on interest or lend, fulfill also if it is in your power to do so.

If not, what does this imply?
    and even if not is not in question, as God gives to us we are to give freely to others. This implies that we have confidence in God to give to us and that our faith is in Him meeting our needs so that we in turn can give to others.
    This is Christs scriptural pattern for the christian.

If so, do you believe this is tempting God by expecting Him to provide while others are being 'responsible' and saving for the future and we are giving everything away at a simple request?

Tempting God would be to give without using some common sense. If all i have is rent money and someone needs to borrow it. My duty lay in first meeting my commitments and then of the excess, giving to others - if i have no excess then i am not obliged to give to others because, obviously, God has met my needs but not given me enough to meet others needs at this time.
        There is also a waiting on the Lord for instruction when it comes to giving because we can alleviate a trial or something God is doing by just fixing the situation, so it is wise to wait to discover what God says first. Sometimes He says no. Sometimes He says yes when it seems impossible. That is God. smile

In verse 44, to what extent do we bless people who are being ugly, hateful, evil, etc.? If it makes them angry to bless them, should we stop or continue despite their objections to it?

Matthew 5:44   But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
        bless = speak well of; curse = speak bad of:

do good to them that hate you,
        good = well, honestly; hate = detest:

These are opposites one to another. We must always do good and put forth good first. Good is our goal toward all people, even those that seem not to deserve it.

and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
       despitefully = slander, use threats, insult;
       persecute = a judicial tone of pursuing to do harm;
       pray = make supplication.

Again another opposite. When the actions of the ungodly come against us, we are not to handle things our own way but to make supplication to God that He handle the situation on our behalf. In this we condition our heart towards love for the person and strengthen our reliance on God for his ability.

Is verse 46 an answer to people's questions regarding whether God is fair? Does Jesus' statement imply that God is indeed fair and just to all?

Matthew 5:46   For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

Jesus uses the example of a tax collector in MATTHEWS (a former tax collector - ouch lord lol) book, which is one of the most hated persons to the jews to show the comradeship that those whom are like minded have one toward another. We are to be different, in fact, opposite. We are to love all people.
       Whether this is fair or not is not even a question it is a commandment and we need to grow into that commandment and experience it fully in our lives.

Matthew 5:48   Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

perfect = complete, of full age, grown up

These rules do not make us perfect but they help to bring us unto the stature of a grown up person in the things of God. God is mature, he is sensible, he is complete in himself, and this completion or fullness of maturity should be our goal. Perfect rather reminds me of a list of things to do. "there i have done the list. Perfect. Complete shows a job well done. In context i would say that complete in Him, would be a fair extrapolation.

Regarding verse 39, I agree. When someone is attempting to murder your child, protection by you is granted. I see it as a sin to not protect your child.

There are some who believe differently, but Jesus came to the aid of a women to be stoned and saved her. He, of course, used His wisdom but nevertheless He did not stand idly by and let it go through.

In verse 42, in giving, many times I give more than I am able. I see it as my duty and a test of my faith in my Father. He said to give to those in need. I don't think He means handouts to the rich or well-off. This is one that different scenarios come to mind. Maybe do an extra post on it.

And, lol, glad you said that - I'll clarify now. I meant if not just give everything you have on a whim. I agree completely. God's commandments are just that... commandments. smile

God is fair question - meant verse 45.. (typos, lol)

I see God raining and shining on just and unjust as Christ telling us that God is INDEED very, very fair.  At least that is what I get from the analogy.

And for 48, I just think though we can't be perfect yet, we are to strive to be close to God and seeking to be as perfect as we are able. Continued growth toward God and good as it were, not letting everything push you into this sin or that sin with little effort to do better.

And in verse 47 - I wave to people all the time, and they just stare you down, lol. It keeps me reminded I'm truly following Christ, because some of them give you some pretty hateful looks.. lol

I like how you broke it all down. Even the definitions. It's awesome. Every word counts and the meaning of each makes the matter clear.

smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Verse 39, We are to protect our family from harm. Verse 42, I prefer to allow the spirit of God to lead me concerning giving. I love to give to those who are truly in need. We are to love people unconditionally, even when their personality is awful. ( Verse 44) Verse 46, Yes God is indeed just and fair, merciful and good to all. smile Great thread Vector7.

Thx WOC.

I like how you said you prefer letting the Spirit of God lead you. I often find myself needing to ask our Father if this person is who to give to, or if there is another purpose in His will.

I am one who likes to give and many times find it hard to keep anything. lol

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
            Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol. Your last sentence is hilarious. Be careful for some will take advantage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)