How do you feel about comments arranged in reverse order?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 9 years ago

Reading through the comments section of hubs often provides a lot more insight to the topic of the hub. Before I comment, I usually read through the comments others have left. When the comment stream is quite long, or if I have a strong reaction to the topic, I comment first, then, go back to read the other comments.

When they're arranged in reverse order, it requires the reader to read the stream of the conversation in backwards order of their original entry. It also means scrolling back up to the top even to read over what I've said once posted, which I do, to correct any typos that I may have entered.

Does anyone else find this disconcerting? Or do you like this feature?

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to see the comments in the order in which they were posted. To me, starting with the latest one is a bit annoying. I do the same as you, Peg. I don't like reading them backwards. Beside's the author's comment appearing above the reader's comment just doesn't make sense. I never set my comment section to read in reverse order.

PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello Bravewarrior, Glad to find out it's not just me. It just doesn't make sense to see the retort before the question.
        Thanks for your response and insight.
        Peg

1. noenhulk profile image59
          noenhulkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes @peg, we're three. Hahaha! I like to read my hubs comments in that order too.

Hello Noenhulk. It seems easier to read them in order, but it doesn't stop me from looking at them either way. Thanks for dropping in. Nice to see you.
            Peg

2. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 9 years agoin reply to this

After reading this,I went to my comments settings and discovered that I had mine set to most recent first.
      It's interesting to scroll down to see how readers interpreted my hub at the beginning to present day.
      I plan to keep it's current setting.
      wink

Hi Stacie, It's good to read about other people's point of view and preferences on this topic. Sticking with what works for you is a good idea. Glad to have your input.
        Peg

3. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

PegCole and Bravewarrior,
      Count me in on what you two talented girls are saying. I do not like reversed comments. I have a question for you:
      How do you two feel about, really long, book-length comments?
      I ask this because last week I was "Hub Surfing," and found this hub that was a great item to read but it took me a good ten minutes to reach the bottom of the comments to leave my thoughts.
      Most of the comments stretched out as far as eight long paragraphs and I am for encouraging each other, but most of the long comments were talking about themselves and not as much the writer's hub they were leaving comments.
      Needless to say, I was very annoyed.
      But you two are always respectful, nice, and leave wonderful comments.

Hi Kenneth, Thanks for the talented girls part and for voicing your preferences. Sometimes I wonder why folks leave book length comments rather than writing it into a hub and linking it to the original author's work. Although, if it's part of a pertinent discussion, it can be quite entertaining. If it's about one's personal experience with the subject matter, it's also okay with me, since I like reading a person's reaction to my article. I agree, at times, it can be somewhat self serving, but that's okay too. We all need a venue in which to express our feelings. What better place than here?

1. kenneth avery profile image80

PegCole,
          Leave it to you to bring things into focus for me. And I mean that too. Sometimes, I let issues and things out of the normal get next to me and under my skin, but you have such insight and common sense that I am in awe.
          Thank you for this, Peg, my dear friend/follower. God bless you with the desires of your heart.

Kenneth, You are such a dear sweet soul. I appreciate you. Thanks so much for your ongoing support.
            Peg

Dear PegCole,
              Thank you, dear friend. You are making me blush. Did you know that now, HubPages has installed a special camera located at the bottom of your profile page that allows you to look at other hubbers? If you use this, you can see my face red with blushing from your sweet words.
              I have been so blessed with a Dear Friend and Follower like you who is also a very talented writer who touches many lives that I am obligated to support you.
              And I will.
              Kenneth
              P.S. the camera is a gag. Did you believe me?

Kenneth, If you could see my laptop you'd see a bright green piece of tape placed securely over the camera lens. I've seen the news reports on unwanted spying via remote access. Be afraid.
                Seriously. We're all being watched, you know. Or that's what "they" want you to think. Or maybe they are really us. Who knows? Smile, you're on ... well, you know.
                P

PegCole,
                  LOL! Good one. I only have this to say about being watched by "Big Bro": If they are so desperate to resort to spying on me to give their lives validity, then they are in a state of shock for I am nothing to look at and I just sit in my recliner and write on Hubs. That is it. And praise God, I heard this morning that my daughter had a successful Trechanotomy at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Ala., and she is going to be fine. Three weeks the doctors have tested her for why her breathing was eratic, no results yet, but I thank God without apology to anyone, that she is good.
                  So if you would, Peg, if you are a praying girl, pray for her.
                  I appreciate YOU so much.
                  Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,
                    I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, but glad her procedure was successful. Yes, I am a praying person and will add her to my prayers. We must be fearless in our quest for religious freedom. So many have paid the ultimate price for us to enjoy this privilege.
                    Peg

4. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like when they're shown in the order they were written because I often read the comments before posting my own. With the oldest one first, it makes it easier to understand and follow the flow of the conversation.

Me, too, Sheilamyers. It seems natural to flow downward from the article in the order I would expect when they are displayed in the order received.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Depends on the conversation.

For Hubs where I get a lot of readers asking questions, I do reverse order because to make someone read down a list of 1000 answers from over the last seven years to find my answer to the question they just asked me last night would actually be the thing that would stop them asking me questions and interacting with my Hub.

Hi Relache,
      Yes, it makes sense for someone like yourself who has hubs with a long history of comments to put them where the latest comment would be first.
      I appreciate your thoughtful answer.
      Peg

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

No comment.... get it (LOL)

Oh you are too funny. Yep, I get it. LOL
      Just the facts, ma'am.
      Peg

4. word55 profile image72
    word55posted 9 years ago

Interesting Peg!

Hi Word55, What's your take on this? Like or no likey?

5. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Hi Peg, I totally agree. I prefer the comments in order not reverse. When I first joined HP and someone had their comment stream in reverse, and I had no clue and thought my comment just did not post lol. So I posted more than once before I finally got a clue. I feel like I have to hurry up and scroll back up to the top to check for typos too and that is a bit frustrating. However, to each his own, as they say.

Hi Faith,
      It feels better knowing that I'm not the only one who does that. I've wondered where the comment went, as well. I would imagine that a non-member visitor would also be confused about where their comment went. Nice to see you! (smiles)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)