Sony plans to release "The interview" film in spite of threats

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 9 years ago

According to various sources,  sony has decided to release "The interview" film in spite of terrorists' threats.    Although no major movie theater chain wants the movie because of the security issues and it would conflict with their schedules since sony barely made this announcement at the last minute.   However several smaller indie art house theaters have agreed to help sony by showing the movie anyway in spite of the risks involved because they don't believe censorship like this should be accepted.    What are your thoughts on this?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's great; those small theaters understand far better than those only concerned with the almighty dollar.

I also see that N Korea has had an internet failure, beginning shortly after Obama's speech on the matter.  Is it possible that our President finally took a reasonable step in foreign relations instead of perpetually apologizing?

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 9 years agoin reply to this

hmm. that does seem a bit TOO COINCIDENTAL now that you mention it because I know the Sony announcement barely came out yesterday, and it was around the same time North Korea's internet went out.  You think there could be a connection?

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not with the Sony announcement, but the possibility is certainly there with the President's speech.  One can only hope.

(My local paper said they were down around 9 hours before getting it back up.  Whereupon it has flickered in and out since then.  We DO have some hackers in the country, and I'd bet some work for the CIA...)

2. Craig Suits profile image64
      Craig Suitsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tell North Korea and that fat moron in charge to stick it where the sun don't shine. If they don't like it, turn them into a parking lot....

1. profile image0

+1

3. breakfastpop profile image63
      breakfastpopposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's wonderful. Sony's response to this idiotic threat was beyond disturbing.  Are we going to allow lunatics to decide what we can and cannot do? I am relieved they reversed their decision.

1. profile image0

Yup.  Now we just have to hope and pray nothing bad happens during those screenings.  It's almost a damn shame I'm not going to be able to see it on Christmas day, but I'm sure if it's still in theaters by next week, then I'll check it out on my day off or something.

4. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had seen the movie ,full of vulgarity and 'potty humor'.
      While the N. Koreans need to recognize that the President has little control over the concept of free expression in this country, some forms of speech while legal, can be considered irresponsible and not helpful in pursuing a larger and more important objective. We need to persuade North Korea to take any peaceful efforts on our part seriously. Who would think that a stupid movie could take our diplomacy and negotiation efforts back to square one? What other currently living world leader would our media so brazenly humiliate in this way?

I do forget the parody  of Hitler and Mussolini  by the "three stooges" Moe does a great Hitler. But this was during wartime, not during delicate negotiations

1. profile image0

I agree with you one hundred percent, as I even said the same thing my review of it on here. Although i personally thought it was funny, I do agree with you that it was done in very bad tastes.  Granted, we do have freedom of speech and expression; which is a power that some countries don't allow their people to have.

Like Uncle Ben once told Peter Parker, "With great power comes great responsibility."  Freedom of speech is a huge power to have, but it can be misused when misdirected.  To be fair though, if you watched the trailers to "The Interview", then you should've known automatically it's one of those vulgar potty humor d**k joke movies.  Seriously, you'd have to be naive not to know that after watching any of the trailers; hence nothing about the movie really surprised me because it came out exactly how i thought it would.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Like Uncle Ben once told Peter Parker, "With great power comes great responsibility."   How appropriate and well stated, our hero "Spiderman" made that part of his obligation to serve the community. You've got it.

My spouse can download first run movies, and she did that for the 'Interview' without preview to see what all the hubbub was about.

Nobody says that you can't have a little fun with movies the "Animal House genre? Who couldn't have fun with the movie, Animal House?

But, the humor and fun did not cross critically sensitive  lines, like this "Interview" does.

I will have to check on your review of this film and others as my wife enjoys good movies.

5. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think tragedy and comedy have collided in this instance. The tragedy that the leadership in N.K. has taken itself so seriously and it takes offence to a movie from a country they hate is so comical. If there are any ramifications to be watched it is with China who is becoming very powerful and is gaining a technological advantage from all the science we give to them so freely. When you look at the far east over history, there is always a tendency to take our technology, duplicate it and use it against us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)